• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started up Hard Reset last night and man, I am not good at that game. Died once on the first level and a fair bit more on the next two levels.

It can be hard, I've been getting back into it lately and die a lot (I'm playing on the difficulty above normal). It reminds me a lot of when I used to play the first Unreal Tournament, I get into this attitude where I have a rivalry between me and the robots and that helps me to be more aggressive in my strafing. Instead of just running away I'll strafe, dodge and jump in towards them aiming at whatever I think might be a vulnerable part. For the most part my screen is always red with the blood lines (indicating near death) on there a lot of the time, but somehow I survive encounters.

Really enjoying it, I almost bought the unreal pack just so that I could go and relive some of the fun I have playing UT. I used to slowly set the speed up which made the game harder but doing it gradually I adjusted and then when I played against friends they would get really frustrated because they'd die before their slow reflexes could aim at me, mwhahaha.

Hard reset is good fun for a game that you play in bursts when you want to slaughter some machines.

Esch

Banned
This is gonna sound weird.... I played some Fallout 3 and was pretty meh on it but i heard good things about New Vegas. What is New Vegas? A standalone? An expansion pack? It LOOKS like a standalone but im not sure, and why do people like one over another?

Please halp

Enco

This is gonna sound weird.... I played Fallout 3 and was pretty meh on it but i heard good things about New Vegas. What is New Vegas? A standalone? An expansion pack?

Please halp
It's a whole new game.

It has new characters, a new story, new mechanics and a much more polished overall feel. It's just better. Story isn't as cool but that's it.

Miker

This is gonna sound weird.... I played Fallout 3 and was pretty meh on it but i heard good things about New Vegas. What is New Vegas? A standalone? An expansion pack? It LOOKS like a standalone but im not sure, and why do people like one over another?

Please halp

It's in the same engine, but it's a completely different game made by a completely different company (Obsidian). Obsidian actually has some people who worked on the first two isometric Fallouts. From what I've heard, New Vegas is the better of the two for story/writing/personality, but Fallout 3 is better for exploration.

CRS

This is gonna sound weird.... I played Fallout 3 and was pretty meh on it but i heard good things about New Vegas. What is New Vegas? A standalone? An expansion pack?

Please halp

New Vegas is its own game with its own DLC/expansions. It's not a sequel to Fallout 3 but still takes place around the same time.

Tess3ract

Banned
Anybody ever get this message when they try to redeem a game from their inventory? It's happening with my copy of Fallout: New Vegas.

BpPdc.jpg

I bought this myself and put it in my inventory because I wanted to wait to download it. Now when i try to activate it I get this message.
Restart steam, then try again.

diffusionx

Gold Member
This is gonna sound weird.... I played some Fallout 3 and was pretty meh on it but i heard good things about New Vegas. What is New Vegas? A standalone? An expansion pack? It LOOKS like a standalone but im not sure, and why do people like one over another?

Please halp

Its a standalone sequel.

What didn't you like about FO3? If its the mechanics and gameplay, don't bother. It plays pretty much identically.

I think people like NV more because of the story, characters and writing.

therapist

Shatter is 2.50 , great game if you guys never played it - AMAZING SOUNDTRACK as well.

I found it very easy however , beat the entire game on my first life , then was at my freinds he couldnt pass a boss , so i played again , beat the boss and the rest of the game on the first life lol.

Anyways , arkanoid type game + mechanic where you can semi-control the ball + great soundtrack = buy it!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/20820/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

whitehawk

Banned
Anybody ever get this message when they try to redeem a game from their inventory? It's happening with my copy of Fallout: New Vegas.

BpPdc.jpg

I bought this myself and put it in my inventory because I wanted to wait to download it. Now when i try to activate it I get this message.
What's the point in doing that? You don't have to download a game right away if you buy it for yourself.

Katoki

Bah - just bought it and I'm rocking a quad core. I guess someone listed some tweaks to limit the game to two cores, which supposedly fixes the issue. Will see how I make out I guess.

Yeah try out the first and see what happens. I personally haven't had any issues yet with it besides a CTD but that was from some of my mods doing something or another.

MNC

+1 for shatter. Amaaazing visuala. Amaaazing audio. Amaaazing gameplay. I think it's the only game i occassionally come back to just for playing instead of playing to finish.

So.... any eye divine cybermancy 4packs going round? :p

aasoncott

The Longest Journey

Yay or nay?

It's one of the greatest adventure games of all time. It's also quite old and very, very, very long. I count it among the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had, and I'm sure a lot of people would agree. But it's an investment, and if you don't love adventure games you might have a hard time getting into it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Started up Hard Reset last night and man, I am not good at that game. Died once on the first level and a fair bit more on the next two levels.

What a sad state gaming is in when we're conditioned to think we are "bad" at a game for dying once in a level.

catabarez

Can someone help me out with Max Payne 3? I'm trying to figure out the highest settings I can use and still have 60 fps.

I have:

i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW
8 gb RAM

I seem to keep hitting 30 or lower if I put it on max settings.

It's one of the greatest adventure games of all time. It's also quite old and very, very, very long. I count it among the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had, and I'm sure a lot of people would agree. But it's an investment, and if you don't love adventure games you might have a hard time getting into it.

I couldn't get out of the first room(after the intro) before I quit it, not that it wasn't amazing or anything, just that it really is an investment. Need to get back to it someday.

LProtag

I was hoping Shogun 2 would win and Fall of the Samurai would be on sale again. I picked up Shogun 2 but didn't realize that Fall of the Samurai was an awesome expansion. I don't have a computer I can play Shogun 2 on yet so I was just watching videos and stuff about it and saw some FOTS things. Mannnn.

Now I want it!

LuchaShaq

Banned
I bought Krater basically because it's the only game on sale I haven't played/didn't actively not want to play.

Feels wrong not to buy SOMETHING /slaps self

Ceebs

Can someone help me out with Max Payne 3? I'm trying to figure out the highest settings I can use and still have 60 fps.

I have:

i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW
8 gb RAM

I seem to keep hitting 30 or lower if I put it on max settings.

Are your drivers up to date?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom