• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Man just start a L4D2 4 pack so more newbs can play campaign mode. I need to beat this game. Don't waste dollars on that other game.

I wanted to, but Steam doesn't let you buy a 4-pack if you already own the game. I'd get in on a L4D2 4-pack as long as you can gift the game to someone who already owns it, but I sadly can't host one. :(

Going away for the weekend so most likely done for this sale, spent more than I planned but felt everything I got I legitimately wanted

Deus Ex Human Revolution: The Missing Link 2.74
Batman Arkham City + Harley Quinn DLC 12.90
Dear Esther 1.99
Assassin's Creed 1 + 2 + Brotherhood 14.97
Binding of Isaac Bundle 2.23
Left 4 Dead 2 4.99
Alan Wake Collection 8.99
The Witcher 1 + 2 17.98

Wanted to only spend 50 but couldn't resist getting the Witcher games, thanks for that GAF!

Razek

Banned
Wow, I went through my email and tallied up the costs so far:

$120. WAY more than I was thinking I spent.

I still think the value to amount/quality of games bought is awesome. Everything I have I really want to play and am looking forward to. Still a bit of sinking feeling on it though.

EDIT:
Okay, windows calculator is a dunce. I only spent around $60. I don't feel nearly as bad now. PHEW!

j-wood

Okay, Fall Out New Vegas Ultimate Pack it is.

Free copy of Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Pack for the best answer to this question.

Genres have been born during every era of gaming history. Sometimes it takes the ingenuity of ideas from another medium to create a new genre. Sometimes old ideas are married together to create something new.

The last 5 years or so has seen no shortage of companies that were willing to try new things. Sometimes adding a leveling system to a shooter is all it takes. In other cases, the gaming landscape expands to include variants you could never have imagined.

That's your task.

Pick two games and put their best attributes together, forming something new. Give me a well considered, thoughtful paragraph about your game, answering the following five questions in detail.

1) What are the games you're putting together?
2) What gameplay/visual conventions are going to be blended together and why?
3) Which game's universe does this new hybrid inhabit? Would you create an entirely new universe for it?
4) Tell me as much about your game as you can.
5) Who would want to play your game? Is it a niche title that will only appeal to the most adamant of core gamers? Is it a casual title that someone can enjoy on a mobile device? Somewhere in between?

1. Bastion + Final Fantasy 7
2. Take the gameplay/graphics of Bastion and combine it with the storytelling of Final Fantasy 7
3. An entirely new universe should be created. A universe similar to what both Bastion and FF7 has achieved, where you have an entire continent/country in front of you. It shouldn't be "realistic"
4. To me, the game play of Bastion is so satisfying, but the story/storytelling is very lackluster. It's not bad, but it's no where near great. On the other hand, FF7 had a fantastic world with amazing story/storytelling, but in this day and age, the gameplay is definitely dated. I'm specifically speaking to the turn based aspect. I would definitely keep the expansiveness of FF7 in this new game, such as the amount of items, systems such as the materia upgrades, random treasure chests, hidden quests, ect. The setup could start out similar to Bastion, where you wake up and have no idea whats happening to your world, but you begin a quest of Destiny to save your world.
5. The game would definitely appeal to the hardcore over casuals and most likely wouldn't be as enjoyable on a mobile device. I would definitely keep it to a console or even PC and focus on one platform, to make the best game possible.

I would go further in depth, but i'm at work and this is the best I could do for now

If anyone is interested in playing coop the following days just leave me a private.

Nice little game, it feels like Singularity and FEAR had a freak child. Really like the cover system.

Salsa

Just bought Dead Island... not sure if I should of.

Is there any sorta matchmaking for coop?

if you plan an open game the game will actually tell you when another player is "near", as in, same part of the map but in their own open game.

then you press a button and you're in their game

it's pretty cool

Speevy

Banned

Free copy of Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Pack for the best answer to this question.

Genres have been born during every era of gaming history. Sometimes it takes the ingenuity of ideas from another medium to create a new genre. Sometimes old ideas are married together to create something new.

The last 5 years or so has seen no shortage of companies that were willing to try new things. Sometimes adding a leveling system to a shooter is all it takes. In other cases, the gaming landscape expands to include variants you could never have imagined.

That's your task.

Pick two games and put their best attributes together, forming something new. Give me a well considered, thoughtful paragraph about your game, answering the following five questions in detail.

3) Which game's universe does this new hybrid inhabit? Would you create an entirely new universe for it?
5) Who would want to play your game? Is it a niche title that will only appeal to the most adamant of core gamers? Is it a casual title that someone can enjoy on a mobile device? Somewhere in between?

Come on guys, this is easy peasy. Give it a go.

LuffyZoro

That's your task.

Portal/Mirrors Edge

The bright visuals and parkour of Mirror's Edge combined with the aesthetics and portal-ing of Portal. It takes place in an abandoned city in the Portal/Half-Life universe. The Combine appropriate other species and groups into themselves, and this city is occupied by a robot sector. There's a stealth aspect too, because you have no weapons to defend yourself with other than the portal gun. If you get seen too much, forces are alerted to chase you through the city while you leap around buildings and off walls. All the while, you are trying to infiltrate the city's Citadel to find out what's so important about this area.

It would play similarly to the ME and Portal, so would probably appeal to the same sort of people.

Tomodachi

I actually finished (crazy, I know) Alice: Madness Returns. Clever, beautiful to look at, too damn long. Actually the hour count isn't so exaggerated, but most of the levels feels like filler and every level drags on forever. All around a game I would suggest to anyone, at steam prices. If you like hard action games try playing it at Hard or Nightmare 'cause the combat system is actually really good and fast and there's a lot of different monsters to dispose of in different ways.

Gbraga

Why, so you can steal my great idea?
kcwrB.png

Playing Last Remnant at max settings (plus downscaled from 2560x1440) is a completely different experience to the 360 version, which looked like arse and ran about 15fps. Master race ftw ;)

Razek

Banned
$120 wouldn't have been too bad either, considering that's the price of two full-price current-gen games. :)

That's how I was justifying it in my head. Now I can say it's only the price of 1 current-gen game. It has such a nicer ring to it.

Now looking at my PS3 games I bought nearly all of at $60 dollars, I feel a bit disgusted.

I know, I like your entry.

I like the other one too. I like the Mirror's Edge/Portal idea too.

Let's get some more entries guys.

I'll probably do a deadline of 9 PM EST. That's plenty of time.

Do you think I can receive the prize if I only have the non-UE version? then I'd hop in.

Also, are we limiting this to steam-only?

baconcow

So far doing well here. Spent $133 ($33 more than my $100 budget), but I bought 32 games and 25 expansions with it. Feeling good about everything. Still less than the price of 2 Xbox games + tax in Nova Scotia. Looking to pick up Oblivion and Morrowind if it ever goes on sale.

Sai-kun

Banned
Can anyone help me with installing mods for New Vegas? I got some recommendations but I'm...not exactly sure how to do this, haha.

I actually finished (crazy, I know) Alice: Madness Returns. Clever, beautiful to look at, too damn long. Actually the hour count isn't so exaggerated, but most of the levels feels like filler and every level drags on forever. All around a game I would suggest to anyone, at steam prices. If you like hard action games try playing it at Hard or Nightmare 'cause the combat system is actually really good and fast and there's a lot of different monsters to dispose of in different ways.

One of my favorite games in years and criminally underplayed.

I have a question for y'all...

I recently started playing Ass Creed: Brotherhood, and I think the lighting in my game is a bit wonky. Sometimes, it's way too bright on the top half of the screen, and looks really unnatural. It's kind of like a fog. It's worse when I move the camera so it's facing the ground more... Any fixes?

That's how I was justifying it in my head. Now I can say it's only the price of 1 current-gen game. It has such a nicer ring to it.

Now looking at my PS3 games I bought nearly all of at $60 dollars, I feel a bit disgusted.
Yep, same. On the other hand, I've learned to avoid buying things day-one (or consoles near launch, after the 3DS incident).

Mrbob

I'm voting for SPAZ even though I own it. Game is awesome and everyone should play it!

Walking Dead will trounce it though due to IP appeal. Hopefully this means SPAZ will get a daily or flash deal.

Ferrio

Banned
My damage thus far

Psychonauts: $4.99 (great game, buy it)
Alice Madness Returns: $4.99
Ys Origin: $7.99
The Walking Dead: $14.99
Ys The Oath in Felghana: $5.09
Railworks 3: TS2012 : $3.49 (troll gift for friend)
Trials 2: Second Edition: $2.49
Limbo: $2.49
Costume Quest: $3.74
Just Cause 2: $3.74 (Bought it for friend... just cause)
Thief II: $2.49
Binding of Issac: $2.23
Longest Journey: $2.49
Dead Island: $10.19

Total: $71.14 for 14 games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom