• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, Fall Out New Vegas Ultimate Pack it is.

Free copy of Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Pack for the best answer to this question.

Genres have been born during every era of gaming history. Sometimes it takes the ingenuity of ideas from another medium to create a new genre. Sometimes old ideas are married together to create something new.

The last 5 years or so has seen no shortage of companies that were willing to try new things. Sometimes adding a leveling system to a shooter is all it takes. In other cases, the gaming landscape expands to include variants you could never have imagined.

That's your task.

Pick two games and put their best attributes together, forming something new. Give me a well considered, thoughtful paragraph about your game, answering the following five questions in detail.

1) What are the games you're putting together?
2) What gameplay/visual conventions are going to be blended together and why?
3) Which game's universe does this new hybrid inhabit? Would you create an entirely new universe for it?
4) Tell me as much about your game as you can.
5) Who would want to play your game? Is it a niche title that will only appeal to the most adamant of core gamers? Is it a casual title that someone can enjoy on a mobile device? Somewhere in between?

Warcraft and Zelda. No fucking idea how though, but it sounds awesome.

Gbraga

I'm actually considering not buying Fallout New Vegas because until I finish my backlog it'll probably be on sale again

What's wrong with me?

Toki767

with that said is fallout 3 GOTY worth getting? there is a disclaimer saying its not optimized for windows 7 which is really putting me off.

I was wondering about that disclaimer as well. Is New Vegas the better game though? Stories aren't actually related right?

Eyothrie

I'm officially done with the sale. I really can't complain being new to Steam. I actually sold 10 of these titles (owned them on the 360), and I got more for the discs than what I paid for them on Steam.

Alan Wake
AW's American Nightmare
Assassin's Creed 1 & 2
Batman: Arkham City
Beyond Good & Evil
The Binding of Isaac
Borderlands
Cave Story+
Crysis 2
Cthulhu Saves the World
Dead Space 1 & 2
Dear Esther
Fallout 3 GOTY
From Dust
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Left 4 Dead 1 & 2
Metro 2033
Mirror's Edge
Pixeljunk Eden
Prince of Persia
Rayman Origins
Recettear
Sonic Generations
SSFIV: Arcade Edition
Terraria
Trine 2
The Walking Dead
World of Goo
Ys: Origin
Ys: Oath

speedline

Banned
People need to play longest journey!

But I guess the title alone will prevent most from doing so :( Damn current gaming culture

I remember playing through it on Xbox and loving it. Now I've tried out the PC version and it is oh so beautiful to me. Looks a ton better than the Xbox 1 version.

with that said is fallout 3 GOTY worth getting? there is a disclaimer saying its not optimized for windows 7 which is really putting me off.

I've only ever played the game on Win7 machines. I'm pretty sure that's just there because the game was developed before Win7 was a product.

I was wondering about that disclaimer as well. Is New Vegas the better game though? Stories aren't actually related right?
New Vegas is the better Fallout. If you have to pick one get that one.

Giran

What weird mechanics? And are the characters likable? Any exploring and such?

Basically battles have some random elements to them in what orders you can give to your characters. The heal command may or may not come up depending on your circumstances. You can improve your results by essentially gimping your characters but never eliminate it. You can't change party equipment but have to find materials for each and every single one of them, or look up the wiki for what weapons are compatible with them and craft them yourself. Either way is tedious. There are two kinds of progression, Battle Rank and Stats. Stats make you stronger while Battle Rank makes the enemy stronger. You have to learn how it works. Essentially a level scaling system that rewards you for playing the game as little as possible. Weird stuff that got in the way of my enjoyment sometimes.

I never cared for the characters except one. And the protagonist can be especially annoying. As for exploring, the areas are fairly large and divided into FFXII-esque Zones, but with no more than a few Zones being connected. If you leave an area, you come to an overworld where you can select a new destination.

rybrad

New Vegas made some good refinements but personally I liked the setting in FO3 better. The stories aren't related at all so you won't be missing out on anything.

Card Boy

Banned
What weird mechanics? And are the characters likable? Any exploring and such?

The weird mechanics mostly come from the battle system. It can be very confusing at the start.

There are acouple of unlikeable characters like Emma but the rest are standard JRPG fair.

Yes there is exploring but you choose off a map on where to go like FF10-2. There are heaps of sidemissions to do and there dungeons and areas. It has crafting and you can recruit lots of characters.

I say its worth a 8.3 out of 10. I recommend it.

Is Sniper Elite v2 worth it at $25

It's 15bucks from Amazon. Don't give into Gaben and submit to the Tony.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008K2WRYC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Steam copy.

Basically battles have some random elements to them in what orders you can give to your characters. The heal command may or may not come up depending on your circumstances. You can improve your results by essentially gimping your characters but never eliminate it. You can't change party equipment but have to find materials for each and every single one of them, or look up the wiki for what weapons are compatible with them and craft them yourself. Either way is tedious. There are two kinds of progression, Battle Rank and Stats. Stats make you stronger while Battle Rank makes the enemy stronger. You have to learn how it works. Essentially a level scaling system that rewards you for playing the game as little as possible. Weird stuff that got in the way of my enjoyment sometimes.

I never cared for the characters except one. And the protagonist can be especially annoying. As for exploring, the areas are fairly large and divided into FFXII-esque Zones, but with no more than a few Zones being connected. If you leave an area, you come to an overworld where you can select a new destination.

Ouch that might be the straw that breaks the camels back for me.

The weird mechanics mostly come from the battle system. It can be very confusing at the start.

There are acouple of unlikeable characters like Emma but the rest are standard JRPG fair.

Yes there is exploring but you choose off a map on where to go like FF10. There are heaps of sidemissions to do and there dungeons and areas. It has crafting and you can recruit lots of characters.

I say its worth a 8.3 out of 10. I recommend it.

That all sounds pretty good overall. But can you elaborate on what Giran said about the level scaling?

New Vegas made some good refinements but personally I liked the setting in FO3 better. The stories aren't related at all so you won't be missing out on anything.

I liked the setting for Fallout 3 better as well. New Vegas does so much right though its hard to have a favorite.

vazel

Banned
If you guys wan't the 'real' Max Payne 3 get Alan Wake. It's the closest you will ever get to MP3, unlike Rockstars efforts.
Funny, I don't remember slow-mo gunfights and a cheesy noir story in Alan Wake. Which are what made MP1&2 so awesome.

whitehawk

Banned
So how's L.A. Noir? It's still on sale and I like a good mystery game. Is it any good?
I absolutely loved it on 360. Paid $60 for it, no regrets. Don't expect GTA in the 40s at all, it's just a great mystery/action game. There are some things with the story that bothered me. But for $5? Go for it now. Hell I was tempted to double dip, but I held myself back. It's worth 1 playthrough, but that's it.

KingKong

quick question about Space Marine: do they ever switch it up? like, do you get to use the jetpack more, use vehicles, do anything else?

I'm about 4 hours in and on part 3 and it's just very dull. I think I'll just stop playing if it's the same thing over and over

I don't know why they limit the jetpack so much, it's actually fun to use and it's not like the game is that difficult

jokkir

I absolutely loved it on 360. Paid $60 for it, no regrets. Don't expect GTA in the 40s at all, it's just a great mystery/action game. There are some things with the story that bothered me. But for $5? Go for it now. Hell I was tempted to double dip, but I held myself back. It's worth 1 playthrough, but that's it.

Are the DLC's worth it as well? Or is the main game good enough? I usually don't care about the price but I'm limiting myself to 25$ this year ><

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom