• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
So, bought Recettear the other day and it seems not to have any widescreen support right off the bat. Anyone found a fix for it yet?

Also, I'm undecided on Dead Island. Is it worth it to if you're gonna only do singleplayer?

Koroviev

I have successfully ignored another L4D2 sale. Yay.

I took the chance because I was able to get in on a 4-pack. I have a lot of friends who swear by the game, so I suppose it's a good chance to see if the whole zombie apocalypse theme does anything for me or not. If I end up liking it, maybe I'll get The Walking Dead in fall.

OatmealMu

Rush is a special kind of awful. He's a parody of JRPG protagonists. Why think things through when you can BLARRRRGGGHGHRROBBLEROBBLE through every situation?

Here's a video of Rush being Rush. Guess what he does and what he says while doing it? Some light early-game spoilers, BTW. Nothing major.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DeQ1prPuuA&feature=youtu.be&t=6m19s

vvTD0.jpg

"Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!"

AlexBasch

Fallout 3 was good, but New Vegas is a lot better on story, gameplay and whatnot, a worthy sequel.

Still, I can still play 3 just fine.

Get Galactic Civilizations II people!!

I love Civ V but I have spent so much fucking money. So serious questions for someone:

1) Does this game feel old? Does it hold up graphically and in terms of production values?

2) How steep is the learning curve?

The idea of Civ in space makes me just want to go "buy, buy, buy" but I'm trying to show some restraint here.

zkylon

zkylewd
Rush is a special kind of awful. He's a parody of JRPG protagonists. Why think things through when you can BLARRRRGGGHGHRROBBLEROBBLE through every situation?

Here's a video of Rush being Rush. Guess what he does and what he says while doing it? Some light early-game spoilers, BTW. Nothing major.
Yeah, Rush is in a whole another level of JRPG campiness. I could never grow used to him, in either language (jap was better for me, though).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I actually won Galactic Civilizations II from Stardock on Twitter a few days ago, haha. I guess it's suppose to be good.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So far

Fallout New Vegas Ultimate
Fallout 3 GOTY
Bastion
Batman AC and everything except Harley's Revenge
L4D2
Witcher 2
Darksiders
BTTF
Terraria
limbo
Indy pack 4
Dragons age ultimate
GTA 4 ultimate (not the entire GTA franchise)
Mirrors edge
Dear Esther
Cave Story

Too much money to bother looking up. Probably near $100

HoosTrax

Oh I thought the video was going to the cringe-inducing first "Dave" scene. If Rush were a chick, he'd be a blonde airhead, no doubt.

gdt

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

I bought GalCiv2 thinking it would never ever hit Daily/Flash sale. FUCK. I ignored the golden rule just once...only once! :(

Again, GAF, WAIT FOR THE DAILY FEATURED DEALS.

Salsa

guess what: GFWL client suddenly works, gonna try to download my Harley Quinn DLC again but im not looking forward to all this trouble again

shiet

edit: yep downloading at about 0.2kb/s

sigh, it'll get there

Kwixotik

I've only spent $17.50 so far (The Walking Dead + Terraria), but I've been sorely tempted by:

Recettear ($5)
STALKER: SOC ($5)
Total War: Mega Pack ($12.50)
The Witcher 2 ($16)

Anyone want to sell me on any of these? Is $16 a good price for The Witcher 2?

Giard

I've only spent $17.50 so far (The Walking Dead + Terraria), but I've been sorely tempted by:

Recettear ($5)
The Witcher 2 ($16)

GOG sells Witcher 1 + 2 for 16 bucks.

guess what: GFWL client suddenly works, gonna try to download my Harley Quinn DLC again but im not looking forward to all this trouble again

shiet

edit: yep downloading at about 0.2kb/s

sigh, it'll get there

Once you do get it do not switch PCs ever. It was a pain trying to get the Nightwing and Robin DLC when I upgraded at the beginning of the year.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Recettear ($5)
The Witcher 2 ($16)

Thought so, but then I dl'd and realized my PC wasn't man enough. Looks like I'll put that game on Steam Layaway ;)

j-wood

Recettear ($5)
The Witcher 2 ($16)

Yes. The witcher 2 is one of the only RPGs i've wanted to play through twice, and it's even more awesome with the ehanced edition update (free to all users BTW). The developer is absolutely one of the best in the entire game development business (including consoles devs).

Smash88

Banned
Galactic Civilizations II is not good, it's just GAF hyping up niche (niche as in by today's standards Sins of a Solar Empire is way better) games.

If you like the civ type games it will probably suit your tastes, otherwise nothing special.

Speevy

Banned
Due to the number of good responses, I've decided to pick two winners, and here's my reasoning for how I chose.

Some of you really went all out in describing your game. I mean, I said thoughtful, and you were really thoughtful.

However, I'm afraid I cannot award either of the two zombie/FPS ideas, since that's such a trending thing right now. Day Z, Left 4 Dead, everything you're talking about will happen (or has happened), and I applaud you for understanding its relevance in today's gaming industry. You guys put the most work into your posts, and I applaud you for that.

As for the Katamari/Assassin's Creed ideas, that's possibly the funniest thing I've read, but not really feasible from a design perspective. Still, you deserve points for making me laugh.

Dark Souls and Oblivion is a neat idea I can get behind, but it sounds like a mod to one or the other game.

Bastion and Final Fantasy VII might make for a good game, but I'd need to know more about how the games intertwine. They need to add up to more than the sum of their parts.

Unreal Tournament and Marvel is a neat idea, but again, it sounds like something that is already heavily trending.

Trauma Center and Battlefield is a neat idea, but I wonder if surgery in itself is too involved for players to take breaks from shooting each other. Certainly this could be part of a shooting game, but not half of it.

It was a tough, tough choice between Mirror's Edge/Portal and Velvet Assassin/Tomb Raider, but ultimately The_Monk just had more information. Mirror's Edge/Portal is a really cool idea though.

So congratulations to The_Monk for being the first winner.

The second winner was a toss-up between the two strategy/simulation responses, but I liked Liquidmetal14's the best.

So congrats to The_Monk and Liquidmetal14

If I missed addressing your response, sorry about that, but I did read it.

OatmealMu

Oh I thought the video was going to the cringe-inducing first "Dave" scene. If Rush were a chick, he'd be a blonde airhead, no doubt.

Ah, I don't recall the "Dave" cutscene. I picked the video because it was the first time I yelled out to someone in a videogame. I don't recall exactly what I said, but it's probably not appropriate for NeoGAFs' tender ears. Emma should've been the protagonist. Or that frog thing.

Ciastek3214

Okay, Fall Out New Vegas Ultimate Pack it is.

Free copy of Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Pack for the best answer to this question.

Genres have been born during every era of gaming history. Sometimes it takes the ingenuity of ideas from another medium to create a new genre. Sometimes old ideas are married together to create something new.

The last 5 years or so has seen no shortage of companies that were willing to try new things. Sometimes adding a leveling system to a shooter is all it takes. In other cases, the gaming landscape expands to include variants you could never have imagined.

That's your task.

Pick two games and put their best attributes together, forming something new. Give me a well considered, thoughtful paragraph about your game, answering the following five questions in detail.

1) What are the games you're putting together?
2) What gameplay/visual conventions are going to be blended together and why?
3) Which game's universe does this new hybrid inhabit? Would you create an entirely new universe for it?
4) Tell me as much about your game as you can.
5) Who would want to play your game? Is it a niche title that will only appeal to the most adamant of core gamers? Is it a casual title that someone can enjoy on a mobile device? Somewhere in between?

1) I would go with Max Payne and some realistic shooter, like Arma 2, or Operation Flashpoint
2) It'll blend action style from Max Payne with the "death from one shot" mechanic from Arma 2
3) I think Max Payne universe would fit.
4) I came up with the idea that everyone in this game will have no HP, that means one shot and they're out, including the player. Now the advantage of the player would be acrobatic skills of the character he's controlling, also various gameplay mechanics, like Bullet Time. The idea is that the survival of the main character lays totally in player's reflexes, and ability to think fast. The "health system" in this game would work like this: you die after getting hit once, so the main thing to your survival is IF you get hit. The enemies would shoot at you, and if you don't start avoiding bullets fast and keep yourself moving, you'll die. To make this easier, you are given a set of moves that expands the further you are in the game. These moves are essential to your survival, because only using them you can dodge bullets shot by your enemies. Think of them as shootdodges from Max Payne, but with more variety and more practical. If you play it as a cover shooter, you will die. If you stay in place, you will die. The game would also reward you for getting close to an enemy, and killing him using melee attack. Different difficulty settings would affect accuracy of your enemies, as in how good you have to be with dodging bullets, number of enemies, how much can you help yourself with other things like Bullet Time, etc. The idea is to make shootouts look like the ones from best action movies (e.g. Matrix series and John Woo's movies), but challenging and satisfying.
5)The game would be good for PC gamers, as the accuracy of your shooting would be crucial, and mouse is the best thing for aiming in FPS.

Okay, Fall Out New Vegas Ultimate Pack it is.

Free copy of Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Pack for the best answer to this question.

Genres have been born during every era of gaming history. Sometimes it takes the ingenuity of ideas from another medium to create a new genre. Sometimes old ideas are married together to create something new.

The last 5 years or so has seen no shortage of companies that were willing to try new things. Sometimes adding a leveling system to a shooter is all it takes. In other cases, the gaming landscape expands to include variants you could never have imagined.

That's your task.

Pick two games and put their best attributes together, forming something new. Give me a well considered, thoughtful paragraph about your game, answering the following five questions in detail.

1) What are the games you're putting together?
2) What gameplay/visual conventions are going to be blended together and why?
3) Which game's universe does this new hybrid inhabit? Would you create an entirely new universe for it?
4) Tell me as much about your game as you can.
5) Who would want to play your game? Is it a niche title that will only appeal to the most adamant of core gamers? Is it a casual title that someone can enjoy on a mobile device? Somewhere in between?

Awesome comp idea

1) Turok: Dinosaur hunter + Dead Island = Dino Island :)

2) It essentially uses the core mechanics of Dead Island (Open environments with loot and co-op focus), whilst borrowing the universally liked Dinosaur fauna. The visual style of Dead Island is perfect for Dino Island, and will range from beach-side residential areas, to lush rain forests.

3) It is set in a new universe, where Dinosaurs are being brought back to life through genetic manipulation. The compound where these Dinosaurs are being engineered goes off-line (maybe through the nefarious actions of a hacker or something?) and the animals escape. They could probably make a movie out of this ;)

4) Full co-op gameplay centred around a loot system. Dinosaurs limbs can be hacked off and this effects their mobility. Some parts of the gameworld would be too dangerous for a single player to explore (T-rex hunting range). Vehicles could also be upgraded to pass through these areas based on loot (reinforced metal, spikes etc).

5) Dino Island is for the core gamer and those who enjoy co-op experiences. The loot based weapon/armour/vehicle system keeps you coming back for more :)

Good luck everyone.

Edit: Oops, already finished. Congrats to the winners. Thanks for the comp Speevy.

I think the thing I've learned is to stay off of GAF during Steam sales. I just bought GalCivII despite never having heard of it until about ten minutes ago, but was sold on it strictly due to GAF's enthusiasm and my enjoyment of the Civilization series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom