• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm serious. Dat atmosphere, the TV shows, the radio shows and that Remedy touch. It's not a movie like Max Payne 3.

Yeah, Max Payne 3 was a fantastic game, but it lacked the quirky feel and love of a Remedy game. MP3 severely lacked in the television show department..

Sajjaja

They both have ups and downs but I feel like New Vegas improved on a lot of FO3's faults.

I played New Vegas for a while, but I didn't really enjoy. Then I played Fallout 3 and I absolutely loved it. I recently picked up Fallout NV for $5 on my PS3 and I still don't enjoy it as much as I did Fallout 3, by a LONG shot. I don't know why, but it feels like a chore to play.

Card Boy

Banned
quick question about Space Marine: do they ever switch it up? like, do you get to use the jetpack more, use vehicles, do anything else?

I'm about 4 hours in and on part 3 and it's just very dull. I think I'll just stop playing if it's the same thing over and over

I don't know why they limit the jetpack so much, it's actually fun to use and it's not like the game is that difficult

You use the jetpack like once or twice more but it's all the same throughout the campaign. If you are finding it dull at 4 hours don't expect anything revolutionary for the rest of the game. I found the multiplayer to be far better than the single player despite there being no dedicated servers and no server browser.

Ouch that might be the straw that breaks the camels back for me.

That all sounds pretty good overall. But can you elaborate on what Giran said about the level scaling?

You have something called a Battle Rank which increases the more enemies you fight. Enemies have a BR too. You have better chances for stat gain if you have a lower BR than the enemy you fight.

So pretty much play normally but avoid trying to grind.

HoosTrax

I absolutely loved it on 360. Paid $60 for it, no regrets. Don't expect GTA in the 40s at all, it's just a great mystery/action game. There are some things with the story that bothered me. But for $5? Go for it now. Hell I was tempted to double dip, but I held myself back. It's worth 1 playthrough, but that's it.
There was in fact way too much GTA in the game for my liking. The game felt the need to include a car chase and/or shootout in every single case -- it really just detracted from the work they did making the setting feel believable.

whitehawk

Banned
Are the DLC's worth it as well? Or is the main game good enough? I usually don't care about the price but I'm limiting myself to 25$ this year ><
For an extra $2.50 I would say go for it. But if you want to save money, you won't be missing a whole lot, the main game is great on it's own.

Hi guys, would someone like to help me get a copy of New Vegas for $5?, not interested in the DLC (haven't even played the game yet, unless someone can convince me that there's some DLC that makes the game)

The base game is $10 here with the ultimate edition being $12.50, so I could just grab the base game for a fiver and once I get through some of my steam library (no such thing as a backlog) I could grab some DLC maybe during the winter sale.

Dingotech

I played New Vegas for a while, but I didn't really enjoy. Then I played Fallout 3 and I absolutely loved it. I recently picked up Fallout NV for $5 on my PS3 and I still don't enjoy it as much as I did Fallout 3, by a LONG shot. I don't know why, but it feels like a chore to play.

Strange that I was the total opposite...

Fallout 3 began to become very repetitive for me when every 2 seconds I was down in some sewer/rail tunnel that looked exactly the same.

When I played New Vegas however I clicked right away and played it through to the end.

Ramma2

I'm looking at Empire Total War, but I'm not sure if I'd like the game or not (yeah yeah it's only 5 bucks). The only other strategy type games I've played at all were the Advance Wars games and Panzer Tactics on the DS. I loved em both, is this game at all like those?

How good is the Last Remnant?
I'll just quote my Steam recommendation:

One of the best JRPGs of this generation due to its satisfyingly fun turn-based combat system. If you tried it on 360 but didn't take to it, give it another chance on PC. The enhancements are insane, and it shows that a lot of effort went into it. A lot of things were added, reworked, expanded upon, tweaked, and so on from the technically-strained 360 version to make this the superior version. The most important feature they added was a Turbo mode for battles, where they are played out at double the speed; a godsend for any RPG.

What makes the battle system even better is the music. It's damn good, especially where it counts: battles. Rock hard as you kick ass... Or get your ass handed to you. The game provides a nice challenge, which is GOOD. Don't come for the story; stay for the combat and music.

As for the level scaling mechanic, don't even worry about it (I sure as hell didn't). I got through the game just fine and explored the fuck out of it.

clav

Ok whoever told me that Company of Heroes had no DRM lied to me.

You have to make an account to play the game in a Steam account.

What a bunch of bullshit.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40024025&postcount=7684

nXSa9.gif

Okay, Fall Out New Vegas Ultimate Pack it is.

Free copy of Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Pack for the best answer to this question.

Genres have been born during every era of gaming history. Sometimes it takes the ingenuity of ideas from another medium to create a new genre. Sometimes old ideas are married together to create something new.

The last 5 years or so has seen no shortage of companies that were willing to try new things. Sometimes adding a leveling system to a shooter is all it takes. In other cases, the gaming landscape expands to include variants you could never have imagined.

That's your task.

Pick two games and put their best attributes together, forming something new. Give me a well considered, thoughtful paragraph about your game, answering the following five questions in detail.

1) What are the games you're putting together?
2) What gameplay/visual conventions are going to be blended together and why?
3) Which game's universe does this new hybrid inhabit? Would you create an entirely new universe for it?
4) Tell me as much about your game as you can.
5) Who would want to play your game? Is it a niche title that will only appeal to the most adamant of core gamers? Is it a casual title that someone can enjoy on a mobile device? Somewhere in between?

Dark Souls + Oblivion: A Limited Multiplayer Online RPG

The basic idea is that we combine some of the emergent gameplay elements, the questing/AI systems of Skyrim and it's more expansive world, with the tighter combat and the innovative multiplayer ideas of Darksouls. The game world would remain dark low fantasy. Closer to Dark Souls and Witcher 2 than Skyrim.

Let me give you some examples of how the emergent game plays systems would meet. You are in a town and you hear the town crier call out that there is a new champion in the arena. The area is a multiplayer focus and it's dynamically integrated into the single player game. Similar cross currents happen between games throughout. Some joins a thieves guild and is required to steal something and bring it back to the Thieves den. You join the Knights guild and your quest is to retrieve the artifact from the thieves guild. Your two story trees cross at the thieves guild and you fight each other. Whoever wins, that determines the direction of both player's stories and the game continues. Of course, there would also be AI character to substuit for when there was nobody to compete against in these moments. But the idea is that the game would constantly present opportunities for cross currents between player's games. The game's economy works similarly in a dynamic way. The price of goods sold by merchants go up and down depending on what the online players are buying the most.

The game would also combine aspects of Journey in that, when you entered the overworld hub each time, a small group of other players will be in the same "server" overworld as you. You may run into them, you may not. If you do, you can chose to fight together, to trade items, or to duel. Actual dungeons would be designed more akin to Dark Souls. No randomized elements at all, everything carefully placed. This game design is aimed straight at the hardcore gamer who loves the dynamic gameplay of Bethesda games but wants something more out of the combat and the social interactions with the game's underhwhelming AI.

I'll just quote my Steam recommendation:

As for the level scaling mechanic, don't even worry about it (I sure as hell didn't). I got through the game just fine and explored the fuck out of it.

O that sounds good. I'll wait a bit to see if steam gets cheaper than GMG if not i'll just grab it at GMG

Hey guys, I checked the OP of the regular Steam thread, but I couldn't see it: what is the program that you use to find and delete useless Steam files?

Also, if I buy the Tribes Starter Pack, will T:A show up in my games list when not installed? It's a minor niggle, but if I invest in a game, Steam should know I'm committed enough to it to place it there, and not make me search for it every time I uninstall it or get a new PC, etc.. Plus, I wouldn't end up forgetting about it, haha

Reposting. Any help for either would be greatly appreciated.

elektrixx

Banned
If someone's buying the Nexuiz 4 pack, I'll go in on that.

Last night I got the E.Y.E 4 pack. If you want that for the sale price, let me know.

I'm looking at Empire Total War, but I'm not sure if I'd like the game or not (yeah yeah it's only 5 bucks). The only other strategy type games I've played at all were the Advance Wars games and Panzer Tactics on the DS. I loved em both, is this game at all like those?

Not to dissuade you from getting Total War but if you're looking for something more like advance wars have you had a look at greed corps yet? I haven't actually gotten around to playing it but it seems to be a turn based hex war game and might give more of that advance wars feeling. I personally find the total war games have a different feeling because they require you to think on your feet and respond to events as they are happening without so much time to consider your options. however, I Loved the advance wars series mostly because I could take my time and plan my attack.

Indyana

Okay, Fall Out New Vegas Ultimate Pack it is.

Free copy of Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Pack for the best answer to this question.

Genres have been born during every era of gaming history. Sometimes it takes the ingenuity of ideas from another medium to create a new genre. Sometimes old ideas are married together to create something new.

The last 5 years or so has seen no shortage of companies that were willing to try new things. Sometimes adding a leveling system to a shooter is all it takes. In other cases, the gaming landscape expands to include variants you could never have imagined.

That's your task.

Pick two games and put their best attributes together, forming something new. Give me a well considered, thoughtful paragraph about your game, answering the following five questions in detail.

3) Which game's universe does this new hybrid inhabit? Would you create an entirely new universe for it?
5) Who would want to play your game? Is it a niche title that will only appeal to the most adamant of core gamers? Is it a casual title that someone can enjoy on a mobile device? Somewhere in between?

1) I would mix Civilization IV and Total War. It's an amazing game. You can build your civilization but the battles would play like Total War.

2) I would use Civilization IV visuals during normal gameplay and Total War during battles.

3) I would use the random and not random worlds of Civilization but with some new maps with bigger focus on combat.

4) It's Civilization IV + Total War. You can build your empire and then conquer the world. You can build your stack of doom. You can be attacked by a stack of doom. You can choose the place of the battle or be forced to play in a difficult place by another player. The computer could deploy your units or you could if you want to. It would also give a new meaning to the fort.

5) Who wouldn't ? It's Civilization IV + Total War. It's the best game of the world. You wouldn't play it on the phone because of the possible big battles, but it would be a dream to play it on a PC. It wouldn't be a casual title, but it could be easy to play on the easiest difficult level.

XeroSauce

I started with FO3, loved it. Went onto FNV, loved it more, the atmosphere wasn't the same (coming out of the vault might be one of my favorite moments in gaming) but the guns, quests, side-factions, everything got improved on.

I respect your opinion but I will have to disagree, F:NV is the winner for me.

whitehawk

Banned
Welp. I'm at $76. I think I'm done now, didn't expect to spend this much at all. I finally understand all the Steam+wallet raping memes.

HoosTrax

Not to dissuade you from getting Total War but if you're looking for something more like advance wars have you had a look at greed corps yet? I haven't actually gotten around to playing it but it seems to be a turn based hex war game and might give more of that advance wars feeling. I personally find the total war games have a different feeling because they require you to think on your feet and respond to events as they are happening without so much time to consider your options. however, I Loved the advance wars series mostly because I could take my time and plan my attack.
I didn't like Advance Wars as much as Fire Emblem, to be honest. It felt to me like there was a single solution to each map with Advance Wars, whereas Fire Emblem allowed for a lot more strategic variation.
Welp. I'm at $76. I think I'm done now, didn't expect to spend this much at all. I finally understand all the Steam+wallet raping memes.
All things considered, I'd say you showed pretty good restraint your first time around.

Lyude77

Here's how I'm going to do this. I'm going to use the Steam Roulette to pick two games at random. Then I'm going to install both games and play them for 5-10 minutes each (if I haven't ever played them before). Then I'm going to answer your questions. Ready? GO!
I'm going to do this too, if that's okay. If I win, I'll have speevy give you the game because my PC can't run it, though I know it's unlikely I win, haha. I'm mainly doing this because it's fun and the ideas I thought of off the top of my head were awful, like combining the social sim and style of Persona 3/4 with games like GBA Mario Golf/Tennis. Well, I guess that could work, I just think it's silly...

So, I did the roulette and got SpaceChem and Thief: Deadly Shadows. Intriguing. I haven't played enough of Thief to get a great idea of its depth (played 40 minutes a while ago), so hopefully my descriptions aren't too generic.

Speevy said:

1) SpaceChem and Thief: Deadly Shadows.

2) I'd basically add the games together for levels. Make the first section like Thief, and the second like SpaceChem. The Theif part would be like Thief (haha), except you would steal chemicals and schematics rather than treasure of some type. The SpaceChem parts would basically be awesome minigames based on the chemicals you had stolen, allowing you to synthesize upgrades. I would keep the Thief visuals/SpaceChem visuals for their separate portions as they seem to work well.

3) The universe would be based on SpaceChem's, except with the classic "evil corporation" spin on it (not far enough in SpaceChem to know if this happens in the game, so no spoilers please). The main character has a vendetta against a chemicals corporation because his brother died while working there, and a year later he finds his brother's notes describing work on a project to develop a chemical weapon that could destroy most of the world, and the main character becomes determined to stop it with thievery/assassination (but mainly thievery).

4) The first level of the game would be ridiculously easy - the main character goes into a bar, finds a drunk scientist who lays an important schematic on the countertop and then leaves without it. Basically, it would be like that iPhone incident. Most of the early stealth portions of the game would be trying to steal directly from scientists, then upgraded to hospitals, then upgraded to large laboratories to give a sense of progress. The SpaceChem parts would be after the stealth section. Perform the correct reaction to get more powerful arrows, sneakier boots, all sorts of powerups. The next to last level would allow you to make something gamebreaking if you were able to complete it, and the last level would be a mission to assassinate the head of that corporation. There would be a new game + where people could use that weapon for the craziness during regular levels, forgoing stealth, as well as new SpaceChem puzzles providing different cool upgrades. I would need to play Thief more to describe the upgrades better.

5) Probably PC only, maybe consoles. It's not casual, unless I decided to let the SpaceChem parts work separately from the main game. It (hopefully) appeals to stealth game players.

Hopefully that wasn't too bad. :p

Speevy

Banned
Okay guys, this is the cutoff for the contest.

No more entries after this post.

Give me a moment and I'll pick the winners.

No, I didn't mistype.

I started with FO3, loved it. Went onto FNV, loved it more, the atmosphere wasn't the same (coming out of the vault might be one of my favorite moments in gaming) but the guns, quests, side-factions, everything got improved on.

I respect your opinion but I will have to disagree, F:NV is the winner for me.

Same here man, I got chills coming out of the vault.

Razek

Banned
I'm coming at you
to shake your hand
!

In general though, I like both.

This got me lol.

Fallout 3 had the better atmosphere and overworld by far. New vegas has the better weapons and mechanics. I wish you could mod the new Vegas stuff back into fallout 3.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Well, Dear Esther is one of the most beautiful games I've played in a while. Visuals were splendid (those caves, my god), the soundtrack was absolutely superb, and the symbolization really struck a nerve with me.

I played it super exhausted, so in the beginning I was dozing in and out of sleep, awaking intermittently to the serene yet lonely, bleak landscape of Dear Esther, with the sound of its soothing ocean waves and wisping winds. It almost helped enhance the immersion for me; like it put me directly in this weary traveler's shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom