• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

Mini-review:

Quantum Conundrum

This is basically Portal if you took out most of the humor, charm, voicework....etc etc. Basically the not gameplay stuff. Puzzles are great, and they have the twitch/timing stuff that got taken out of Portal 2 (up to you whether you like it or not), plus some platforming (hit or miss there, wish they did the Metroid Prime move of tilting the camera a bit). So yeah, as a puzzle game its really, really good. Hits that same exact feeling of figuring out a puzzle like in Portal, with good mechanics and being taught how to use your power step by step.

Now, the stuff around the game kinda brings it down. The "voice" you hear throughout the game (like in Portal) is..ok. A couple of funny lines. Not too annoying, but not something that is super engaging like GlaDos.

Music is ok. Even has an ending song related to the game (like in Portal) and thats ok too.

I played a bit offline, so I'd say my gametime is around 7/8 hours. Got stumped awhile, but thats still a great length in terms of content for a lower budget game. Graphics are great too.

In terms of story, its...ok. Not much happens narratively until the very end, where it ends on an interesting enough cliffhanger that I hope means some (small spoiler)
outdoor environments
for the next game.

Humor is....there. I mean, its funny sure, but again, doesn't hold a candle to Portal.

Basically, if you can dig a game with excellent gameplay with meh everything else, that follows the Portal template, buy it. The puzzles are great.

Salsa

btw: have the idea to make a separate thread on the last day highlighting the games with regular discounts that didnt get featured and are worth it. Pretty sure I did the same thing last year (cant even remember jeez)

so yeah, wallets beware. I might just recharge my CC right before the last day, ridiculous.

Gbraga

Can't afford new vegas ultimate edition. Where's my gift?

va8Tx.jpg

Scythian

I haven't decided on GalCivII yet, I'm almost sold on it, but since I have a pretty big backlog and I'm on a budget, I'm wondering if it'll be 4.99 again before I manage to get into it. There's some other stuff that I want to buy before the sale's over.

gdt

I haven't decided on GalCivII yet, I'm almost sold on it, but since I have a pretty big backlog and I'm on a budget, I'm wondering if it'll be 4.99 again before I manage to get into it. There's some other stuff that I want to buy before the sale's over.

Plus is that I don't think it will ever be cheaper.

Dingotech

btw: have the idea to make a separate thread on the last day highlighting the games with regular discounts that didnt get featured and are worth it. Pretty sure I did the same thing last year (cant even remember jeez)

so yeah, wallets beware. I might just recharge my CC right before the last day, ridiculous.

I really enjoy reading those threads each year, so yes please.

Not sure my wallet or wife would be thanking you though...

Although she wants me to buy her Insane Acquarium so that should chill her out a bit. :p

rybrad

I am in the same boat on the backlog. $5 isn't much but I might not get around to it until late fall.

If someone can gift me a copy of Last Remnant from GMG for $8.99, I would appreciate it, would hook you up with any game on Steam thats at that value more or less.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I wanted to play Last Remnant this weekend, got it for $7.20 like you did. At first, it didnt like my billing info (although every website for the past decade has been fine with it). So then, I used paypal, and while its my fault, I didn't see that the emails had to match. I was going to switch them until I saw that from Paypal's end, I paid for it. On GMG's end, I haven't. So now I have an email into them, which they say may take 3-4 days to respond to.

Im about THIS close to paying $17.99 on steam for it out of frustration. Anytime I go outside Amazon or Steam to buy something, it reminds me of why I love Amazon and Steam so much.

I had a problem when trying to buy it too. Gave me some error that i forgot, it was some generic error message about not being able to process/make the payment. First website where my card doesn't work.

Razek

Banned
Mini-review:

Quantum Conundrum

This is basically Portal if you took out most of the humor, charm, voicework....etc etc. Basically the not gameplay stuff. Puzzles are great, and they have the twitch/timing stuff that got taken out of Portal 2 (up to you whether you like it or not), plus some platforming (hit or miss there, wish they did the Metroid Prime move of tilting the camera a bit). So yeah, as a puzzle game its really, really good. Hits that same exact feeling of figuring out a puzzle like in Portal, with good mechanics and being taught how to use your power step by step.

Now, the stuff around the game kinda brings it down. The "voice" you hear throughout the game (like in Portal) is..ok. A couple of funny lines. Not too annoying, but not something that is super engaging like GlaDos.

Music is ok. Even has an ending song related to the game (like in Portal) and thats ok too.

I played a bit offline, so I'd say my gametime is around 7/8 hours. Got stumped awhile, but thats still a great length in terms of content for a lower budget game. Graphics are great too.

In terms of story, its...ok. Not much happens narratively until the very end, where it ends on an interesting enough cliffhanger that I hope means some (small spoiler)
outdoor environments
for the next game.

Humor is....there. I mean, its funny sure, but again, doesn't hold a candle to Portal.

Basically, if you can dig a game with excellent gameplay with meh everything else, that follows the Portal template, buy it. The puzzles are great.

May as well post it here too http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482610

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
A bit late on this, as GAF was dead earlier in the morning, but I'm glad The Longest Journey won. Snatched that shit up with the quickness. Just a handful more games and I'm good now.

Also, has the Hearts of Iron III collection been a flash / community deal? I forget. I know Europa was.

The_Monk

I have a two-part silly question.

1- How does GAF organize Categories in their Library? Finished/Unfinished, Good/Bad, Genres, Backlog?

2- Also, don't laugh but how can I remove a Category? I don't right? I just change or remove the game from a certain category? I only have one Category that I've made and the other it's "Games" which I'm guessing it's the default.

A bit late on this, as GAF was dead earlier in the morning, but I'm glad The Longest Journey won. Snatched that shit up with the quickness. Just a handful more games and I'm good now.

Also, has the Hearts of Iron III collection been a flash / community deal? I forget. I know Europa was.

Heart of Iron III has not been featured as a deal yet.

Jaggies are not a problem when compared to the shit framerate. The PC port has issues of its own (spotty controller support, bad camera movement when it's fixed...) and it won't let you set the game in widescreen but it's better than the PS2 version, especially for that price. If you have a PS3 or a 360, the HD port is better, but more expensive.

I thought the PS2 version was the good one from the old generation. FUCK.
If it has major fuck ups in the frame rate AND the jaggies, im probably getting the pc one.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
So does GalCiv 2 get listed under G in the Steam library (as opposed to the Civ games being listed under "S" for example)? I'm not seeing it in my library. I am missing $4.99 from my wallet and I have the email thanking me for my purchase and the store page has that green banner telling me I own it but when I try to install from that page I get nothing.

elite-beat-agents-help-scre.jpg

Salsa

So does GalCiv 2 get listed under G in the Steam library (as opposed to the Civ games being listed under "S" for example)? I'm not seeing it in my library. I am missing $4.99 from my wallet and I have the email thanking me for my purchase and the store page has that green banner telling me I own it but when I try to install from that page I get nothing.

go to grid view, start typing the game's name

Kuroyume

Banned
What are the odds F.E.A.R will go on sale again for $2 or whatever it was the other day? Kicking myself for not picking it up then.

1- How does GAF organize Categories in their Library? Finished/Unfinished, Good/Bad, Genres, Backlog?

2- Also, don't laugh but how can I remove a Category? I don't right? I just change or remove the game from a certain category? I only have one Category that I've made and the other it's "Games" which I'm guessing it's the default.

I use:

Want to Play
Maybe one day
Unlikely to Play

Played
No good
Junk (mac and stuff)

Then just work my way down (in theory)

linko9

Yup, shows up under G in my library, and I just bought it.

Sajjaja

Would anyone be so kind as to trade me Gal Civ 2 for Torchlight and/or Nuclear Dawn? Please? I've been on a Civilization 4 binge all yesterday and this excites me, and since I'm strapped on cash, this is all I got to offer.

EDIT: I would like to thank Conceptor for gifting me it for free. I love him and he's my best friend. I like him a lot.

rybrad

1) I have Backlog (games I need to play), Eventually (games I picked up in packs that don't seem terrible), Indie Crap (crap games, always minimized), Favorites (Favorite games for easy access) and then the games that don't fit in any of those stay in the main games category.

2) Remove all items from a category and it will go away.

Galactic Civilizations II was not part of my Steam purchase plan. But reading how Stardock does not treat their customers as potential pirates, I just have to get the game.

Plus, you know, ship customizations.

Tukker

buy buy buy ;) Don't see it 75% off so often

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom