• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tess3ract

Banned
How does Gal Civ 2 compare to Sins of a Solar Empire? I have the latter with the first two x-pacs and since it came it out later, is there any good reason to go back and buy GC2?
GC2 is turn based. It's a 4x game.

SOSE isn't a turn based game, but it's similar to 4x games.

How does Gal Civ 2 compare to Sins of a Solar Empire? I have the latter with the first two x-pacs and since it came it out later, is there any good reason to go back and buy GC2?

They're really not that similar in my mind. I've played much less SoaSE in my life though. All my sins games were very heavy military and I never felt I could live without building one up period. Also it's a real time vs turn based so that's a fundamental difference.

Sins is a lot prettier looking I'll give you that though ;)

eyeless

has insanely twisted shadow planet been 75% off as of yet
Hyrbf.jpg

thanks

gdt

Please please please I need help to decide about these games:

I'm thinking about getting Prototype 2 Preorder (I want it because they offer Prototype 1 (which I don't have) and the RADNET DLC) the problem is that the game isn't have been featured there's no official requirements, I don't know if it will be fulled with bugs... also I want to buy Blades of Time Limited Edition and Ys The Oath in Felghana, but I can't decide if I buy P2 or Blades of Time and Ys, please what do you think? I need help!

Remember that the Prototype 2 studio got shutdown...so who is doing the weekly challenges and patching it if it needs it? Who is porting the game?

ag-my001

Add me to the list of people double dipping on GalCiv2 just to have it on Steam and with the second expansion. I've put in plenty of hours with the Dark Avatar expansion, never once touching the actual campaign. Well, maybe once for half an hour.

For those comparing it to Civ, it's a valid comparison, but there are plenty of differences. I was never able to get too far into any Civ game because there (seemed to me) too many resources, too many tech tree branches and tangles, too much cheating AI.

GalCiv2 is like the entry-level drug to 4X games. The resources a planet produces are based on what you build on the planet: it's your choice, your control. There are no interdependent tech branches: some default ship designs might need them, but half the fun is designing your own death fleet. The AI is fair yet predictable. I know that the Drengin will try to build a massive war fleet eventually, but their economy will be weak. I can try to take them out early, I can build an alliance against them, or I could go ship-for-ship against them. Lots of options when setting up the game, including the ability to customize the AI of the races you'll be sharing space with.

In summary: Buy GalCiv2 Already!

KuroNeeko

They are very different. Gal Civ II has more in common with Civ than with Sins. It's definitely still worth playing...it's quite a bit more complex in many ways than Sins, so if that's your thing you're gonna love it.

Ruh roh. (eyes backlog)
I like what you're saying, but I don't know if my backlog would forgive me if I got sucked into another Civ-type game.

They're really not that similar in my mind. I've played much less SoaSE in my life though. All my sins games were very heavy military and I never felt I could live without building one up period. Also it's a real time vs turn based so that's a fundamental difference.

Oh, it's turn based? More like Master of Orion than?
Hmmm....

Thanks for the replies;D

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Do I pull the trigger guys?

I1orV.png

I honestly wouldn't buy Krater. For some reason, there was a lot of hype on GAF for the game to go on sale, but so far I haven't read any glaringly positive reviews from people who have played it yet. It seems like a turd, fueled by a strange amount of GAF-hype.

Gala

Has Transformers gone on sale yet? I cant see since its a US only title. Anyone help me out?

No Transformers Daily Deal or Flash Sale yet! Damn you Gaben :(

I honestly wouldn't buy Krater. For some reason, there was a lot of hype on GAF for the game to go on sale, but so far I haven't read any glaringly positive reviews from people who have played it yet. It seems like a turd, fueled by a strange amount of GAF-hype.

The thing with most of the Krater reviews is that they were written on the basis of the buggy release version. The Krater team released alot of patches since then and the game got significantly better.

Thanks for the demo link, that should help with my buying decision.
Pretty sure it's REALLY outdated, but still should give you a good enough idea on whether it's something you want or not.
Add me to the list of people double dipping on GalCiv2 just to have it on Steam and with the second expansion. I've put in plenty of hours with the Dark Avatar expansion, never once touching the actual campaign. Well, maybe once for half an hour.

For those comparing it to Civ, it's a valid comparison, but there are plenty of differences. I was never able to get too far into any Civ game because there (seemed to me) too many resources, too many tech tree branches and tangles, too much cheating AI.

GalCiv2 is like the entry-level drug to 4X games. The resources a planet produces are based on what you build on the planet: it's your choice, your control. There are no interdependent tech branches: some default ship designs might need them, but half the fun is designing your own death fleet. The AI is fair yet predictable. I know that the Drengin will try to build a massive war fleet eventually, but their economy will be weak. I can try to take them out early, I can build an alliance against them, or I could go ship-for-ship against them. Lots of options when setting up the game, including the ability to customize the AI of the races you'll be sharing space with.

In summary: Buy GalCiv2 Already!
The AI got tons better with that last expansion too. You might be shocked if you play it again now :p
Ruh roh. (eyes backlog)
I like what you're saying, but I don't know if my backlog would forgive me if I got sucked into another Civ-type game.

Oh, it's turn based? More like Master of Orion than?
Hmmm....

Thanks for the replies;D

MoO has that corridor movement (so does endless space). Gal Civ is grid based. That makes it really different strategically in my mind.

xJavonta

Banned
I want to get The Witcher, but I feel like it's not going to run well on my Core i3 2100 and Radeon HD 5670 1GB at 1440x900.

EDIT: And if not, I could get one of the Fallout games, even though I own both of them on the 360 already, it'll be nice to play it with some mods.

Or Alan Wake's American Nightmare, but I heard that it was poorly optimized.

Remember that the Prototype 2 studio got shutdown...so who is doing the weekly challenges and patching it if it needs it? Who is porting the game?

I know, it's hard to believe that bro, but I agree with you, the studio got shutdown, and If the game needs to get patched who will fix it? Damn, it's a hard decision :(

KuroNeeko

Yeah, I bought it fueled by hype, only to find that Metacritic gives it about a 50 average out of 20+ reviews. (User review avg of about 6.8) Sucks that they didn't have this on the store page.

I'm not saying that metakuri is the end-all, be-all but when scores are lower, I usually take a few minutes to read through some of the lower reviews before deciding whether or not to buy. I probably wouldn't have bought it at that price if I'd known it was that low.

The thing with most of the Krater reviews is that they were written on the basis of the buggy release version. The Krater team released alot of patches since then and the game got significantly better.

Hope this is the case;d

Artofwar420

TBH I don't really remember it having too many tech issues, at least of the game-breaking variety. I think you'll be fine. Besides it's a good game.

Yeah, played it on the PC. Only technical issue I had with Beyond Good and Evil was the water looking weird sometimes.

It might not be an issue anymore.

Caerith

Whereas in GalCiv 2 you don't need a military until someone attacks you. My last playthrough, I focused on exploration/expansion/influence, tech, and economy (mostly economy) for most of the early game. The first bill to come up to the senate (or whatever it's called) is "Force all ships out of the territory of someone you declare war on (ie, no surprise attacks)" and it passed, so when some aggressive idiot decides to wipe me from the galaxy and declares war, they gotta go halfway across the galaxy to do it. In the meantime, I designed a custom ship (utterly bristling with level 2 lasers and enough armor to counter their weapons), then spent my reserves on having contractors 1-turn build me a fleet of them. Enemy fleet is wiped out (1 ship was more than enough) at first contact and they quickly beg for peace.

Having like 20 death machines just floating around kept the rest of the universe from picking a fight, so I build my economy up even more and spread my influence across the stars. Every time someone picks a fight, I upgrade my death fleet with even more weapons and they shut their mouths.

The only thing I really hated in GalCiv2 was the random events. "Half your planets, despite being really happy with you, just went rogue. Also they took all your tech and ships with them so good fucking luck there." I think you can disable events? I dunno, was a really long time ago.

rybrad

I tried the demo of Galactic Civ II and was pretty overwhelmed. Does the full game have decent tutorials? I have Civ V and have put a decent amount of time in it but it seems much less complex than Galactic Civ.

Whereas in GalCiv 2 you don't need a military until someone attacks you. My last playthrough, I focused on exploration/expansion/influence, tech, and economy (mostly economy) for most of the early game. The first bill to come up to the senate (or whatever it's called) is "Force all ships out of the territory of someone you declare war on (ie, no surprise attacks)" and it passed, so when some aggressive idiot decides to wipe me from the galaxy and declares war, they gotta go halfway across the galaxy to do it. In the meantime, I designed a custom ship (utterly bristling with level 2 lasers and enough armor to counter their weapons), then spent my reserves on having contractors 1-turn build me a fleet of them. Enemy fleet is wiped out (1 ship was more than enough) at first contact and they quickly beg for peace.

Having like 20 death machines just floating around kept the rest of the universe from picking a fight, so I build my economy up even more and spread my influence across the stars. Every time someone picks a fight, I upgrade my death fleet with even more weapons and they shut their mouths.

The only thing I really hated in GalCiv2 was the random events. "Half your planets, despite being really happy with you, just went rogue. Also they took all your tech and ships with them so good fucking luck there." I think you can disable events? I dunno, was a really long time ago.

You can. And I sometimes do. Also disable the terrible ascension victory that came from the last expansion. Okay it's not terrible, it just turns the game into this goofy koth that feels so strange.

I tried the demo of Galactic Civ II and was pretty overwhelmed. Does the full game have decent tutorials? I have Civ V and have put a decent amount of time in it but it seems much less complex than Galactic Civ.

I don't think there are any tutorials (I can check really quick...).edit: there are! There are tutorial videos in the main menu. Never noticed those lol. The game is much more similar to civ 4 than the simplified civ 5. I don't think it's necessarily overly complicated though. Most people should be able to still pick it up well after messing around a bit. I also think they put the instruction manual in pdf form on their website somewhere... edit: here is the manual for the original base game: http://www.stardock.com/files/galciv2manual.pdf You can get the pdf for the ultimate edition manual in the steam apps folder when you download the game (not that that helps you at all). There's also this: http://forums.galciv2.com/104908 which I just found and skimmed, and seems pretty good.

Eh, I'd normally bite on GalCiv2 just to have it in my Steam collection, but my Steam wallet is getting low, and I already have the DRM-free disc release of the Ultimate edition, so I guess I'll pass for now.

Caerith

Do I pull the trigger guys?

I1orV.png
If you're planning on playing GalCiv2 before the winter sale, there's no sense buying any other games.

But Krater interests me ever since I saw the GB Quick Look of it. I have it and Witcher 2 in my cart now and just weighing it vs my backlog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom