• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

Also guys, don't forget. Some on GAF have been recently pimping Cryostasis, so I made sure to pick that up. No a big discount, but I got it anyway.

I really wanted to buy Galactic Civilizations 2 but I think I'm going to have to pass. I've had it in my wishlist and deliberated over buying it at $9.99, but I promised I'd buy my housemate some games first: Alan Wake Franchise, Dead Island, Krater and Stalker Collection. Probably my final purchases...

Unless someone wants to trade a copy of Galactic Civilizations 2 for Frozen Synapse? It's only the standard edition unfortunately with no DLC. Sorry. :/

Just posting this for the next page.

xJavonta

Banned
Are there any graphics mods for New Vegas that makes the game look not so brown? The color palette is the only thing stopping me from re-buying it.

haikira

Anyone have any hidden gems, they think should absolutely be bought?

EDIT: Wondering if there's any good horror games especially. Though i probably have most already =S.

Would be least interested in point and click adventures. But if you think it's an awesome game, recommend anyway. I sometimes hot seat the genre with friends. Had a blast completing the Puzzle Agent games with a pair of friends.

Jak140

If you can read this, you hink tollarnots gift
Stimi them, kakhtni word of mouse (Bi EM ere me)

Sometimes the translations don't work both ways. :p

Card Boy

Banned
Arma 2 sale isn't happening is it? The game is still at the top of the list at 20% off and we have yet to see a community vote, daily deal or flash sale. I don't blame them, why would you put the game on sale when people are buying it in truckloads at full price and close to it?

Scythian

People, buy Amnesia if you don't have it already, it's a great horror game, if a little too intense at times.
Alan Wake with American Nightmare at $9.99 is a steal, and really good.
And if you can't afford any of the above just buy The Witcher, I absolutely loved it, and will play through it again if I find the time, at 2.49 it's an absolute steal, even at the full price of $9.99 it's a steal.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Ha, yea, I got something similar, had no idea what the mouse part was, assumed it was an error (guess it wasn't).

Got the exact same thing. I sent it in a PM a while back and have been trying to perfect it...
VAOzM.png

People, buy Amnesia if you don't have it already, it's a great horror game, if a little too intense at times.
Alan Wake with American Nightmare at $9.99 is a steal, and really good.
And if you can't afford any of the above just buy The Witcher, I absolutely loved it, and will play through it again if I find the time, at 2.49 it's an absolute steal, even at the full price of $9.99 it's a steal.
Amnesia kind of remind me of Myst but with more horror elements. That Alan Wake deal is good and already have Witcher. Gonna pull the trigger on Alan Wake. Just don't want to be disappointed.

xJavonta

Banned

EDIT: Wondering if there's any good horror games especially. Though i probably have most already =S.

Would be least interested in point and click adventures. But if you think it's an awesome game, recommend anyway. I sometimes hot seat the genre with friends. Had a blast completing the Puzzle Agent games with a pair of friends.

Not horror, but I saw this in the Steam Sale Review thread and I'm thinking about picking it up now.

Oh, didn't see this thread. Might as well post this here, too...

Here's a quick recommendation for one of those "hidden" cheap and lesser known games:

Tobe's Vertical Adventure

TobeVA_now%20available.PNG

http://store.steampowered.com/app/105700/

A fun and irresistably cute (seriously, the pixel art is just gosh darn adorable) little treasure hunting platformer with a neat premise and some pretty damn clever level design. You descend down a cave while collecting various treasure in the form of coins and little treasure chests and you'll be rescuing tiny pixel animals as well. Once you reach the bottom of the cave a big chest will be waiting for you. Unlock it and the cave starts to crumble. Now you need to be quick and escape the cave before the timer runs out. With everything falling apart, some blocks and walls have now disappeared, changing the level design ever so slightly and opening up shortcuts and new paths to previously unreachable treasure. So even on the way back up you will have to keep an eye out for collectibles. But thankfully you can plan for this during your descent.

It's a cool idea that works surprisingly well. It strikes a great balance between careful exploration and frantic platforming. It's fun to explore each cave first and find all or most of the collectibles without being pressured by a timer, and then finally having to speed-run the hell out of there once you've reached the very bottom.

Collected treasure and rescued animals unlock health, extra lives and gadget upgrades (the latter are rarely used to begin with). The game has two separate story modes for the two main characters plus a co-op mode. It also has native controller support.

I have only played up to the last world of Tobe's campaign so far. It doesn't seem to be a very long game, that's for sure. I suspect you can play through both stories in about 3 to 4 hours total. No complaints here though, especially at the current price point. I'm not sure if the co-op mode is an entirely separate campaign.

The game's two major flaws are the somewhat stubborn and difficult to master controls and the all too frequent physics and collision glitches. The good news is that you'll eventually at least get used to the former.

Summer Sale Price:

Europe: 1,12€
US: $1.24

swdgR.png
TyDs1.png

ShaneB

Still holding out hope that maybe Divine Divinity gets a boost to sales in a flash sale, or maybe a vote. With an older game like TLJ showing up, who knows!

I mean yeah, it's only 4 bucks right now, but if I can save a buck or so, that aint bad. the earlier praise has made me really want to play it.

Scythian

Amnesia kind of remind me of Myst but with more horror elements. That Alan Wake deal is good and already have Witcher. Gonna pull the trigger on Alan Wake. Just don't want to be disappointed.

Well, I personally liked it, but I would say it's not for everyone, it can get repetitive, but I had a great time with it, besides I could get a feeling of brilliance behind the game, I don't know how to explain it. I'd recommend sticking with it.

Edit: Just hit the 300 games mark :p 400 for next year!

Still holding out hope that maybe Divine Divinity gets a boost to sales in a flash sale, or maybe a vote. With an older game like TLJ showing up, who knows!

I mean yeah, it's only 4 bucks right now, but if I can save a buck or so, that aint bad. the earlier praise has made me really want to play it.
Is Divine Divinity on Steam now??!

bigace33

Gemini Rue. Good story, well paced. You can play it with one hand on your mouse while sipping on some diet coke or pepsi. I find it very relaxing to play in short bursts. A real solid point and click adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom