• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I bought The Walking Dead and Terraria for $17.50 total. My girlfriend just bought me The Witcher 2 for $16. Now I'm tempted by Portal 2 for $5. Why is this happening to me? I didn't even plan on spending any money!

Portal 2 is a must play! Do you have Portal 1?

I require.... more.
By the end of the game you can have 16 characters in battle at once. You will always feel like you're improving your characters because you get stat raises almost every battle. You can customize shit however you like. Don't like an ability? Make it so it doesn't show up ever. Change your mind? Allow it again.

You have different formations that affect the stats of your Union (small battle party) that give you buffs/debuffs, and you'll earn more as you do certain things or advance the story.

Did I mention the battles are fucking awesome? I don't think I've ever felt any battles as intense as in this game. Especially some of the bosses. Heck, if you're not careful, even "weak" monsters will destroy you.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure cutscenes can be skipped.

Naito

Oh well, you convinced me - if The Last Remnant will be the next community's choice, I'll get it.
I blame dragonlife and toddhunter for this :/

besides, I need some time off with tweaking and playing Skyrim - need to play something else.

Shahadan

I require.... more.

Well the game is like 90% sidequests which is a good point in my book. Combat addicting. Research for Unique enemies can be very rewarding, although it can be quite time consuming (and dangerous, lol). You'll live in fear of being destroyed quite often, but with good strategy you can survive.
Some really good music.

Basically, the only flaws are the fucking main quest with its HORRIBLE dialogue, and the obscure nature of the battle system. That latter point was improved with the PC release and there have been plenty of guides on the net since.
Just weep for us who played it on 360 back in the day where there were no such things and were completely in the dark. Although I honestly think I liked the game more that way, not being able to totally grasp the in depth details of the battle system. It kept you constantly thinking about your organization and trying things.

Well, buy it, go make yourself a sandwich during cutscenes, wipe you ass with a picture of JYB, and all will be good in the world.

Also, crafting is in the game ! Yay!

Shurayuki

Oh well, you convinced me - if The Last Remnant will be the next community's choice, I'll get it.
I blame dragonlife and toddhunter for this :/
besides, I need some time off with tweaking and playing Skyrim - need to play something else.

It's a good game, the battle system is really really fun and some areas look stunning especially with the Remnants.
It's plagued by most Unreal Engine hiccups you can come up with (biggest for me was MASSIVE texture pop in) and the writing can be...well one moment sticks out, the IGN review described it best I feel when they referenced the movie 'Beerfest' (if you've seen it you will immediately recognize the moment).

Overall it has what I look for in a jrpg, fun mechanics, good battling and while the story will not win pulitzer prices it pretty much leaves you with the fun parts of the game.

Insaniac

okay guys i just built my first pc and I'm looking to give it a test run on some steam games. I've already bought skyrim and it run really nicely, but i was thinking about new vegas. any other recommendations for some good and relatively easy-going games?

dani_dc

I bought The Walking Dead and Terraria for $17.50 total. My girlfriend just bought me The Witcher 2 for $16. Now I'm tempted by Portal 2 for $5. Why is this happening to me? I didn't even plan on spending any money!

If you go for it be sure to pick up a double pack of Portal 2 so you can enjoy co-op with your girlfriend!

Yeah, do not play TLR for story. It has some pretty awesome cutscenes here and there, but the story is so overshadowed by the awesome battle system. The story is simple enough to move things along, though.

depward

Not sure if it has been mentioned but do not plan to play the last remnant with keyboard + mouse. Heck, the default icons are Xbox 360 controller icons on menus and such.

Shurayuki

Oh yeah btw. one thing that rubbed me wrong about TLR: the game basically penalizes you for fighting a lot. Which only became a problem because I loved battles so much that I battled all the time. There is a system that gives "better rewards" if you chain battles one after another, but that will actually bump up enemy levels so that for some special encounters you can end up with harder enemies (sometimes almost impossible to beat at that moment) than if you went through the game "normally" or avoiding fights.

So...a Square rpg where you actually should not grind ladies and gentlewomen!

I will personally give everyone who doesn't vote for TLR a BJ. All teeth. You don't want that, do you? Vote for TLR.

Oh yeah btw. one thing that rubbed me wrong about TLR: the game basically penalizes you for fighting a lot. Which only became a problem because I loved battles so much that I battled all the time. There is a system that gives "better rewards" if you chain battles one after another, but that will actually bump up enemy levels so that for some special encounters you can end up with harder enemies (sometimes almost impossible to beat at that moment) than if you went through the game "normally" or avoiding fights.

That's the boring way to play. I chained everything and as much as possible. I felt so badass when I would kill difficult enemies. And besides, no one would really know that their first time. If you look at guides and read up on mechanics before playing an RPG, you're doing it wrong, because then you just plant the idea in your head that you're just going to waste time if you don't do it "right," and that's bullshit. Just play however the hell you want the first time.

Gilby

Already own Shatter; PixelJunk Eden looks cool but I wonder if there's enough gameplay to it to be fun, and not just an experience.

It's not the most complex game, but there's enough gameplay that I put nearly 40 hours into it. It's all about figuring out how to get to the seeds, even though you know which general direction to go. I would say at $2 it's a steal, probably the best deal of the sale. Plus, even if it turns out not to be for you, it's the cost of a soft drink.

Giran

By the end of the game you can have 16 characters in battle at once.

I wish it had less units. If you deploy 4 4-man unions and the enemy does the same, you'll be sitting there watching 32 attack animations for only 4 button presses you've made. It's a bit tedious even with turbo mode. Although if you like QTEs you can turn those on to keep you more on your toes, but still, wish it was more like Suikoden in handling its many characters.

Shahadan

Wasn't that somewhat corrected in the PC version?

dani_dc

okay guys i just built my first pc and I'm looking to give it a test run on some steam games. I've already bought skyrim and it run really nicely, but i was thinking about new vegas. any other recommendations for some good and relatively easy-going games?

Taking in account only the dailies and flash sales I'd suggest the following games:

Portal 1+2 (alternatively, the Valve Complete Pack).

Machinarium is a great point and click and for just 2.49 I consider it a must (the entire Amanita Collection is on sale, though Samorost 2 is a really short game and I haven't played much of Botanicula to feel confortable recommeding it).

Witcher 1 and 2 are also worth getting.

Bradach

if you want to flex your graphical muscles Witcher 2 looks brilliant at high settings

I wish it had less units. If you deploy 4 4-man unions and the enemy does the same, you'll be sitting there watching 32 attack animations for only 4 button presses you've made. It's a bit tedious even with turbo mode. Although if you like QTEs you can turn those on to keep you more on your toes, but still, wish it was more like Suikoden in handling its many characters.
It's funny because I was wrong; it's actually 18 units by the end of the game, not 16 :p I didn't mind too much, myself.

Somewhat, yes. From the wikia:

Linking additional enemies together does not increase your Battle Rank further than having fought them separately.

zkylon

zkylewd
I want to talk against buying TLR for people that were just interested in the game because it was a JRPG in PC. The game isn't bad, but it's nothing extraordinary (Emma is a character for the books and the game's strongest point though), but everyone's probably better buying PS2 games and emulating them.

I still voted for it because I know a lot of you guys want it, and $7.50 isn't so bad, but, really, I feel like the best thing it has going for it is it's lack of competition.

Shurayuki

That's the boring way to play. I chained everything and as much as possible. I felt so badass when I would kill difficult enemies. And besides, no one would really know that their first time. If you look at guides and read up on mechanics before playing an RPG, you're doing it wrong, because then you just plant the idea in your head that you're just going to waste time if you don't do it "right," and that's bullshit. Just play however the hell you want the first time.

Yeah, I didn't know and never really noticed until somewhere in the final third some off-the path dragon battle completely wasted, utterly destroyed, profoundly disgraced me. Of course by then it was too late anyways, but I wanted to issue a word of warning at least.

I'm also the kind of guy who restarts RPGs after 50 hours because really taking that other skill 30 minutes in would have been way better.
Guides are for 2nd playthroughs and going "whaaaaaa~, you can do that", agree.

I wouldn't know, only played the PC version. You'll only notice it when it pushes some enemies over a threshold where they get skills that are way above your capabilities, but with smart tactics you can still usually win. You're just inadvertently playing hard-mode.

rakhir

Yeah, do not play TLR for story. It has some pretty awesome cutscenes here and there, but the story is so overshadowed by the awesome battle system. The story is simple enough to move things along, though.
I don't know, after playing three or four hours of the game battles bored me to tears since i've mostly mashed one button, because most of the encounters were so easy it became tiresome...

I bought The Walking Dead, you win Gabe... you win...

I feel so bad for not buying the Witcher 1/2 already :( now all I need is my Human Revolution sale (I know it was in sale once, I didn't see it)

Cade

I voted SC:C, it's the only SC game I don't own (aside from Essentials) and I've been looking to pick it up for ages.

Yasae

Banned
I don't know, after playing three or four hours of the game battles bored me to tears since i've mostly mashed one button, because most of the encounters were so easy it became tiresome...
Well first - that's a very easy way to lose against bosses.

Second - that's the best way to make your characters underpowered. Seek out tougher battles (when the game opens up a bit) and fight in those which you have low morale. You definitely won't be pressing one button and your characters will be stronger between battle ranks. If you don't need to heal or use any real strategy, you're fighting the wrong battles. Granted the game doesn't really imply this at any point; I think that's the one major failing kept intact in the PC version.

If you want challenges this game has 'em. The difficulty gets extreme the more sidequests you do, and with underpowered characters you won't be able to nix some of the upper level enemies in the game.

Shahadan

Is TLR's story really that bad? I thought it was pretty standard and enjoyable. Plus the Conqueror is gud.

Story is standard I agree, dialogue is awful. Well, Rush and Irina's lines are. David and the gang are fine.
Classic JRPG bull.
"BUT IT's MY SISTER!"
"Rush, you're in the middle of the battlefield and the world is on the brink fo destruction!"
"BUT MY SISTEEEEER ! IRINAAAAAAAAA(...)AAA"
"RUSH, big bro, I know there is so much more important things to do but let's talk about OUR LOVE for the 156196th time"

Caricaturing, but you get the drift.

Also, well, if you don't chain of course battles are easy, but you'll get fucked quickly.

Alucrid

Banned
Bought the Amanita Bundle for Botanicula. I think I had Samorost2 already and I got Macinarium from the first Humble Bundle, but I don't think I ever added that to my steam account.

Edit: Didn't see Botanicula by itself was 75%...fuck me.

Story is standard I agree, dialogue is awful. Well, Rush and Irina's lines are. David and the gang are fine.
Classic JRPG bull.
"BUT IT's MY SISTER!"
"Rush, you're in the middle of the battlefield and the world is on the brink fo destruction!"
"BUT MY SISTEEEEER ! IRINAAAAAAAAA(...)AAA"
"RUSH, big bro, I know there is so much more important things to do but let's talk about OUR LOVE for the 156196th time"

Caricaturing, but you get the drift.

But if you don't play it you're missing out on cat people with four arms whose one attack (I forget the name) decimates everything.

I still don't understand the 'leveling' system in that game.

Already own Shatter; PixelJunk Eden looks cool but I wonder if there's enough gameplay to it to be fun, and not just an experience.

I'd buy it for you if I had enough money in my Steam Wallet for it and Arma but you absolutely should get it. Admittedly it's not too demanding (to simply get through the game anyway) but it's very relaxing and there is something oddly satisfying as you attempt to get as much pollen as possible and a high score. The simplicity of the gameplay so far as mechanics boost the relaxing atmosphere, as do the simple yet very servicable graphics.

Traversing the areas is never a chore and trying to explore each area in its entirety is an enjoyable experience. In addition to this the techno (I'm sorry, I have absolutely no interest in music on its own so I don't know if that's the correct genre but I think it is) soundtrack is rather simple yet it further augments the simple, relaxing atmosphere.

I'll be the first to admit I do, in general, love "experience" like games, Journey, Flower Shadow of the Colossus and Ico all high up on my list of most enjoyable games but I really wouldn't compare Pixeljunk Eden to those. It may share the relaxing atmosphere of them but it is definitely driven by the gameplay (not to state that those games aren't driven by gameplay in case anybody else gets that idea) and that gameplay, on its own is very enjoyable (to me at least)

You've barely scratched the surface when it comes to abilities and the number of units in your party, though. I say keep going, but if you're not having fun, then, I don't really know what to say.

What if they enjoyed it? :lol
Then they're in luck :p

Welp, reinstalling TLR now. What have you done.
Caimsteam.png

caimspray.png

Hello, fellow Caim fan. First one's my current Steam avatar. Second is an avatar I used before my current one

So, I already own Portal 2 for the 360. Would you guys recommend getting the PC version, too? I'm thinking of all the mods, editor, and so on.

I mean, 5 € is basically a steal, but I'm still not sure about it.

Even after reading all these impressions of TLR, I still am not interested. I think it's that I just plain don't like JRPGS. I liked Final Fantasy III(U.S) and VIII but really after those, I stopped playing and can not for the life of me find the fun in them. I'm not a fan of turn based RPGS and hate that generally grinding is a must. More power to those of you that like/live TLR, but I'm hoping Splinter Cell wins this community vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom