• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazoo

I feel like karma is going to come bite me in the ass for my troll Fable 3 vote and Dustforce is going to be a community vote and lose. ARMA II and Dustforce were the two things I said I absolutely needed from the sale and I'm so far extremely disappointed.

DustForce and Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, my two fails for these sales.

Koroviev

It is an EA game. I just bought it for 7E at GMG with an origin key. EA games will most likely less costly during sales if you are ready to register on Origin.

"Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them."

DustForce and Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, my two fails for these sales.

I caught you rhyming >:)

Q8D3vil

It is an EA game. I just bought it for 7E at GMG with an origin key. EA games will most likely less costly during sales if you are ready to register on Origin.

game is not available for me in gmg, how much 7E is exactly ?
i dont mind origin even though its a piece of shit service compared to steam.

OniShiro

Banned
I've been playing Dungeon Siege, graphics are old and there's definitely some bad design choices, but it's strangely addictive, it's a great time waster. If I wasn't halfway on Titan Quest I'd sink more time into it.

shiroryu

Please vote The Last Remnant, it's very deserving. Turn-based strategy with actual tactical choices, commanding upto 18 units on a field, epic boss battles.

ArtaxLives

Neo Member
I bought ARMA II CO like 2 years ago for $7.50 now it looks like the best buy I ever made...
And im not even that big on DayZ.

Damage so far:
Limbo $2.50
Gal Civ II $5.00
SpaceChem $2.50
Call of Pripyat $5.00

Total $15.00

Or about R130.00 in South African Monies.

Not too bad.

jgminto

Machinarium or Botanicula? These are my last few bucks on this summer sale.

Both? If not Machinarium is a standard point and click with a nice cartoony style, while Botanicula is more like an interactive storybook. Amazing visuals with a real quirky style but it's really light on the puzzles and there's no selecting things from your inventory. Both great games. Whichever sounds better out of the 2.

I just played the TLR demo does that pop-in ever get better? In terms of things that totally ruin a game for me pop-in is really high up there.

This has been the Steam sale of adventure games for me.

First thing I bought was Back to the Future (which I already finished, then watched the three movies afterward).

Then:
Sam and Max Seasons 1-3
Tales of Monkey Island
Monkey Island Special Edition bundle
Broken Sword Trilogy (on absolute impulse)
Botanicula

Might as well add the Walking Dead to that list. My resolve to wait for winter or later is weakening.

1-D_FTW

It's not an EA game on Steam though. It's self-published by the defunct 38 Studios.

I bought ARMA II CO like 2 years ago for $7.50 now it looks like the best buy I ever made...
And im not even that big on DayZ.

Yeah. They were literally giving the game away for a while. I remember because Ghost used to always champion the series and I always thought he must shed a tear when it's a couple dollars and nobody wants it even if it were free.

neoemonk

Picked up Sins of a Solar Empire Trinity for $5

Picked up AC: Brotherhood for $5

Impulse purchased Alan Wake and American Nightmare

All in all pretty happy with this sale.

I'll pull the trigger on Last Remnant if it wins as well

Shurayuki

Hallelujah my brother (or sister) Hallelujah :D

Well Koroviev indicated that shklee may not be a duder so at the moment I assume shklee is a multidimensional entitiy bringing to us the great faith of the Gaben, gently encouraging everybody to become

One of us
One of us

"Love the Gabentacle"

Tomodachi

It's Unreal Engine...so it's never going to go away entirely, but there are tweaks you can pull in the PC to make it non-existent. At least I was never bothered much by the pop-in, and the demo isn't the best way to judge that.

http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/PC_Tweaking
This is awesome. Is there a way to eliminate the late texturing in all other games using the Unreal Engine? I hate it so much, I just finished Alice and couldn't stand it, and I'm thinking about starting Arkham City which I'm sure will be full of textures appearing seconds later than the polygons. Jeez.

This is awesome. Is there a way to eliminate the late texturing in all other games using the Unreal Engine? I hate it so much, I just finished Alice and couldn't stand it, and I'm thinking about starting Arkham City which I'm sure will be full of textures appearing seconds later than the polygons. Jeez.

I haven't played Batman on a PC, but with the exception of one instance of it on the 360 I don't think there was any pop-in. It really is about the developers ability to optimize and less an issue with Unreal itself. ME 2 and 3 have hardly any and MK9 didn't have any either.

Dizzy-4U

It works for several games. I did that with Borderlands and textures load instantly.

Shurayuki

As a new steamer, I wonder if I need to track all forums to get such informations on steam games !

Hm?
It's not like that is some TLR specific issue, all UE games are known to suffer from that (^as evidenced by my friend Tomodachi, hah).

as for fixes...huh~, PC Gaming Wiki seems like it could become a reasonable place soon. Also the steam forums are probably the best place to solve any game issue on the internet, they've solutions for everything.

While I'm doing propaganda, might I get everybody interested in trying out the GameSaveManager and Dropbox combo please?

It's free, saves you from getting your stuff erased by GFWL and stuff, also its free.

Shurayuki

As a PC gamer, it never hurts to do a quick Google on a game's tweaks/mods/cheats that you're planning to buy. Research FTW.

Fumbling about with ini files is the real game on PC.
I really really missed doing that, but some engines (UE mostly) have been so wonky that you'll again find yourself doing that quite a lot.

Happi~

shiroryu

Fumbling about with ini files is the real game on PC.
I really really missed doing that, but some engines (UE mostly) have been so wonky that you'll again find yourself doing that quite a lot.

Happi~

Hehe, yeah...but not everybody likes that. Once I've gotten the game running, jumping into .inis and .cfgs is the next step. So much time spent optimizing Skyrim vs. playing it.

Tess3ract

Banned
Hehe, yeah...but not everybody likes that. Once I've gotten the game running, jumping into .inis and .cfgs is the next step. So much time spent optimizing Skyrim vs. playing it.
There is a huge difference between Skyrim messing around, and modifying 3 lines in an INI file

ArtaxLives

Neo Member
Yeah. They were literally giving the game away for a while. I remember because Ghost used to always champion the series and I always thought he must shed a tear when it's a couple dollars and nobody wants it even if it were free.

I just bought it because I like ARMA games :/

I hope people who are playing DayZ will maybe play ARMA as well, under all the bugs and crazy glitches its a really amazing game.

Double

So guys - Arkham City, what was it on Steam again? Will it have the same DRM on greenmangaming (today -50% for 9,97€) as it has on steam? Limited activations and stuff.

If its a shooter I'm going to play for eight hours and be done with it I don't even bother, but stuff like Bethesda RPGs where I know I'm going to in invest tons of time into it I'll spend a week getting things just right before I start playing.

shiroryu

If its a shooter I'm going to play for eight hours and be done with it I don't even bother, but stuff like Bethesda RPGs where I know I'm going to in invest tons of time into it I'll spend a week getting things just right before I start playing.

I've always liked Bethesda for making their games so accessible to modding and tweaking; buying them for the PC is a no-brainer for me, even if I have to wait months.

Edit: That PC wikia is great.

Volcynika

ßthePenguin;40068430 said:
So guys - Arkham City, what was it on Steam again? Will it have the same DRM on greenmangaming (today -50% for 9,97€) as it has on steam? Limited activations and stuff.

Not sure of your region's price, but $10.19 in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom