• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question fellow GAFfers, if one PC can handle Fallout 3 then it can also handle Fallout New Vegas or is F:NV a more demanding games regarding specs?

I'm aiming for Medium settings at worst. Thanks in advance.

New Vegas from a technical perspective is basically identical to Fallout 3. It should perform about as well.

Omikaru

I have a few minutes to think about buying Walking Dead... but... I've never seen the show or read the comic, and don't do well with the traditional survival horror games.

Still worth it?

For what it's worth, I haven't seen the show or read the comic, and I barely play survival horror games. I'm loving it.

haikira

No Last Remnant. =S

Before anyone points out the GMG deal. I already have the money in my steam wallet. If it won the steam vote, it would also have been cheaper. In my country anyway.

Shurayuki

lol I see quite a few major road blocks on your list. You're going to have a hard time completing this. Some of these games are just too long, and some are just really bad. Just play what you feel like playing and try not to make gaming a chore. Games like GTA 4 are amazing but they over stay their welcome by about 12-15 hours.

If you look like this you can stand on me the whole flipping day I say!

I'd say I'd even pay for that but I kinda got it for free-ish from amazon so yeah...

haikira

For what it's worth, I haven't seen the show or read the comic, and I barely play survival horror games. I'm loving it.

Yeah. That's what's cool about the game, they manage to pull a great balancing act between fan service for people who already love the series, but also making it a good stand alone piece for newcomers. At least from what I've played already.

Celegus

my situation = huge backlog + not much spare time

question: Witcher 2.49$ ?

It feels like a crime leaving there at this price but I already have lots of games I have not even started

also I like action RPG, but I don't like exploring huge maps since every time I play the game I feel like I am lost as I cannot remember which areas I have already explored or in which ones I have still tasks to do

for this reason I have a love & hate attitude towards games like Fallout 3 / Stalker

I read it's a very nice game and I doubt it will drop any further in the future, but would it be worth waiting for a special Witcher 1 + Witcher 2 package during next winter sale ?

Honestly I'd say pass. I was in a similar situation as you and picked up The Witcher last winter sale for the same price. It feels very overbearing with trying to remember how the game systems work (they're not explained well), the UI is clunky, and it's hard to tell what exactly you're supposed to be doing (the quest markers point you in the wrong direction half the time). It is broken up into chapters, so it's not a huge open world where you can backtrack to previous areas, although it does throw a ton of stuff to do in each chapter (most of it boring fetch quests). Maybe it gets better later on, but getting to that point takes a long time that I'd rather be playing something fun.

Derrick01

Banned
How did that piece of shit game win? Between this and all the EA games winning I'm losing faith in the general steam audience. They're coming across as no different than the console ones.

Firebrand

SC: Conviction won. TLR in last place, damn.
Can't go wrong for $2.49. I doubt it will get any lower.

Go to your view tab. Go down to settings. Click on View Account History. Then click on Store Transactions. It'll show all the games and gifts you bought.
Or use the shortcut and click on your account name at the top right. Click on Store Transactions.
Looking at my complete store transaction history... I like how at the start I pay 20 euros for "cheap" stuff, then everything gets progressively cheaper to the point where I'm at now where I hesitate to spend €2.50 on something. :p

haikira

So Botanicula. Is it something i need in my collection? No idea what it is and i'm probably heading out soon, so not much time to watch quick looks and so on. But you guys have been keeping me right, up until now. So what's the verdict? Blind buy, or move on?

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Once I get The Last Remnant, I am officially done with the Steam sale. And as a result of the Steam sale, and almost having 300 unplayed games on Steam, I am forcing myself to play in strict order at least 100 games. I cannot play any other games and I have to follow these games in order.
If you actually do this, you should post about it somewhere as you work your way through. Might make for a fun read.

Also I think you should reconsider the bolded, unless you have more perseverance than...I don't know. Something with a whole fucking lot of perseverance.

Now that I've bought insane amounts of new games from this sale, I'm feeling the paralysis of indecision about what to play first... I've decided to stick with a city builder/simulation game, but I can't decide between these three:
1. Tropico 4
2. Sim City 4
3. Anno 2070
Which should I play, GAF? Of course, I'll probably find another deal today and want to play that instead...

I wonder if I can convince myself in the next 15 minutes to pay $5 for Red Faction: Armageddon, and / or to pay $5 for Splinter Cell: Conviction in the next 8 hours.

Yes this makes them cheap as hell, but I just don't know if they're worth the time.

Cheddahz

Banned
Of course Splinter Cell won, even though the latest one was Michael Bay'd and wasn't fun at all

And I voted for The Last Remnant, even though it didn't win

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Most steam calculator sites will tell you how much you've spent if you bought everything on sale too.
Also if you haven't bought many bundles or generally redeemed many games from other sites your transaction history would give you a good idea (easier than emails :eek:).
Not as easy as the spreadsheet I keep, though. ;)

No steam calculator site I've been to has been even close to the actual total I've spent.

Splinter Cell conviction has the shitty Ubisoft DRM and Account management, I was NEVER able to play Co op with my friends because it just cant connect us, ever, only game we have issues with when playing online :(.

Still, at that price I would recommend it, I had fun with the single player at least.

So Botanicula. Is it something i need in my collection? No idea what it is and i'm probably heading out soon, so not much time to watch quick looks and so on. But you guys have been keeping me right, up until now. So what's the verdict? Blind buy, or move on?
Do you like a point and click interactive story? Click, click, click.

Tomodachi

As usual the most popular franchise won, why is everybody so surprised every time? It's only natural.
I was hoping for Demigod (the only one I don't own of the three games) but was sure Splinter Cell would have won.

Anyway, it's Splinter Cell: Conviction is highly suggested at 75% off (3,75€ here), unless you hate with all your heart Ubisoft and have decided to boycott it. Other that that, it's a pretty solid, enjoyable game. Nice take on modern stealth (I mean, who wants to spend minutes in the shadow waiting for guards patterns to end nowadays?).

I voted for Last Remnant even though I already had it.

I had the 360 version and promptly sold it after I picked up the superior PC version that I still haven't had the chance to play yet.

Shurayuki

How did that piece of shit game win? Between this and all the EA games winning I'm losing faith in the general steam audience. They're coming across as no different than the console ones.

Popular stuff is popular, I closed my umbrella as a precaution because my mind was blown so hard and I didn't want to get carried away :eek:

You're eating too many apples, that's where that feeling is coming from.

At least he put's 'em where they belong, there was once a monkey here who seemed slightly confused about that part, well....his "part".

Levyne

Banned
As usual the most popular franchise won, why is everybody so surprised every time? It's only natural.
I was hoping for Demigod (the only one I don't own of the three games) but was sure Splinter Cell would have won.

Anyway, it's highly suggested at 75% off (3,75€ here), unless you hate with all your heart Ubisoft and have decided to boycott it. Other that that, it's a pretty solid, enjoyable game. Nice take on modern stealth (I mean, who wants to spend minutes in the shadow waiting for guards patterns to end nowadays?).

Me

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Once I get The Last Remnant, I am officially done with the Steam sale. And as a result of the Steam sale, and almost having 300 unplayed games on Steam, I am forcing myself to play in strict order at least 100 games. I cannot play any other games and I have to follow these games in order.
Forcing yourself to go in order is a recipe for failure, particularly with as wide a mix of games and genres you have there. You're going to run up against a strategy game when you really just want to play a mindless arcade game and it will bring the whole thing to a halt.

BadAss2961

Conviction ran like shit on my PC. I'm talking mostly 30fps with huge dips in certain areas. Especially that
flashback of Sam in Iraq
level, and the graphics don't even look good at all... I max out most games just fine, but this one probably ran worse than anything i've played.

I thought the game itself sucked too. Co-op was pretty fun though.

Sarcasm

I went to see if I owned the splinter cell conviction deluxe edition. Added to cart and it didn't mention so I look in my history and it shows me buying the deluxe. And I can't check since I am not home, do I have deluxe?

Now that I've bought insane amounts of new games from this sale, I'm feeling the paralysis of indecision about what to play first... I've decided to stick with a city builder/simulation game, but I can't decide between these three:
1. Tropico 4
2. Sim City 4
3. Anno 2070
Which should I play, GAF? Of course, I'll probably find another deal today and want to play that instead...

Anno 2070 comes with very strict activitation limits DRM, so skip that one at least.

NBtoaster

Didn't realise TLR was on GMG, and it's only a dollar or so more expensive than it would have been had it won on Steam [aussie tax]. Bought.

haikira

I wonder if I can convince myself in the next 15 minutes to pay $5 for Red Faction: Armageddon, and / or to pay $5 for Splinter Cell: Conviction in the next 8 hours.

Yes this makes them cheap as hell, but I just don't know if they're worth the time.

If you pick one. I'd say go for Red Faction: Armageddon. Though it has GFWL, so know that in advance. Though it never gave me trouble and is probably much better than what Ubi has attached to Splinter Cell.

EDIT: Oops. Not long up from a nap. I sort of mistook Guerilla and Armageddon. I'd say Guerilla is far more worth it. Though i actually didn't hate Armageddon. Think it takes a lot more shit than it deserves. I'd say still go for it, if it interests you and you have the money to burn.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
The first community vote that I cared about and the game I voted for comes in last. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom