• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomodachi

I guess the problem for a lot of people is, that there are some Games people were waiting for to get discounted and still didnt, while you saw Sanctum, Civ5, Terraria, Shogun like 3-4 times, while the others, you eagerly wait for, still didnt get a discount.
I'm sure the pool of games "allowed" to go on dailies/flashes/polls is already over, that's the reason for the repeats. If those games people want still didn't go daily/etc I guess they never will, bad luck (I have 50 games in my wishlist like that), I think I'll just be glad most of them are at least 33% off.

This and I'm blaming Capcom for no dailies/etc of most of its stuff, greedy bastards

Pick up RO2. It's actually kind of fixed now, and more players would really improve things. I put dozens of hours into it, so you'll get your moneys worth if you like difficult shooters and you stick at it.

Edit: There are a good number of players, but finding a decently populated 64 player server at "off-peak" times can be difficult.

zendavis

Banned
It's longer than most FPSes and it's got some bloat - traveling between areas isn't very fun and it turned me off from the game. I've heard you get fast-travel eventually but I don't know when.

GAME: FAR CRY 2

I'm at 50% complete. If you can be patient, the game is worth it for 2.49. Traveling between areas is a chore though. Enemies respawn exceedingly quick and thus every time you need to go to or from a mission, you need to pass through at least 5 checkpoints. This gets tedious to say the least.

If you want to make the game fun, invest the first five hours improving all your guns. Invest in the best sniper rifle you can find and pick apart the checkpoints from a distance. Once you've gotten enough health packs, it's just easier to drive through, get the militia to follow you in their own car, kill them, and steal their vehicle.

But make friends with your sniper. Otherwise, you're gonna' have a bad time.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
What say you GAF, is Far Cry 2 a good game?

I like shorter FPSs....if it's too big, too bloated and boring, I'm not interested, are the missions fun? Something about an open world FPS, kinda intimidates me.

I have a more favorable opinion of FC2 than most people around here, but based your post you might not like it. The missions usually consist of driving to the red X on your map and killing everyone in the area, there's nothing in the way of set pieces, but it does allow you some flexibility in tackling goals. You can snipe enemies from afar, pop 'em one by one with a silenced pistol, go in guns blazing, explode/burn everything in sight, and so on. Crysis 1 and STALKER do the open-ended shooter thing better, but I think FC2 does enough to stand out from the glut of samey current gen FPS games.

It's an ambitious and very immersive game, but it has a few major issues holding it back like the lifeless and oversized overworld, the rapidly respawning guard outposts and the annoying malaria mechanic which forces you to drive across the map to buy pills every couple hours. I think it's worth a shot if you have the patience to get it's very rough edges.

Wok

I don't think it was "mistakenly discounted" so much as "mistakenly priced". I don't remember seeing any actual percentage off but maybe I just missed it.

Anyway, it came out less than a month ago. It'd be kind of shocking if it got a big discount during the sale. The best we could have expected would have been like 10% off ala Quantum Conundrum.

There was a -40% discount, making it 3€ instead of 5€.

RedSwirl

So Crysis 1 over Warhead and 2 then?

I would get Warhread as well. It is indeed more linear, probably the most linear of the three games actually (but has a couple sandbox areas near the beginning), but somehow still feels closer to Crysis 1 than 2. I think the reason is because while linear, Warhead isn't built on scripted set pieces like 2 is. What I mean to say is that it still actually let's you play the game. It also has some very good level design.

2 is actually probably worth its asking price and still better than most modern shooters for the sole reason that it still actually feels like a game and not an interactive movie. It's just not on the same level as 1.

Gbraga

You really should buy far cry 2. That cheap as FUCK!

image.php

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
So the consensus on Conviction is that it's a pass?

Crysis 2 is a weird case. I actually feel like I'll enjoy it more than the first one since I found Crysis's level design to be pretty annoying (I know, weird, right?). Maybe a more linear approach for me in this universe will be more appealing?

How are the shooting mechanics of Crysis 2, the AI, all that good stuff?

I'm sure the pool of games "allowed" to go on dailies/flashes/polls is already over, that's the reason for the repeats. If those games people want still didn't go daily/etc I guess they never will, bad luck (I have 50 games in my wishlist like that), I think I'll just be glad most of them are at least 33% off.

This and I'm blaming Capcom for no dailies/etc of most of its stuff, greedy bastards

Post a list of your most wanted games that probably wont get "fair" discounts...

Here is mine:

Roller Coaster Tycoon 3
Hawx 2
Black ops
Lost PLanet 1/2
Quake 4
Bulletstorm
Singularity
Transformers

Ohhhh look, they are all Capcom/Activision games, how neat!

BiggNife

Crysis 2 is a weird case. I actually feel like I'll enjoy it more than the first one since I found Crysis's level design to be pretty annoying (I know, weird, right?). Maybe a more linear approach for me in this universe will be more appealing?

If you want a more linear version of Crysis 1, get Warhead

Warhead is linear and fun. 2 is linear and boring.

Gbraga

I love Conviction, it's not that hardcore stealth from the previous SC titles, but it has a really really good stealth/action gameplay. If you're one of those guys who thinks that MGR will suck because it's not a true Metal Gear, you should probably skip it, if you really don't care as long as the game is good, get it, because it's good.

HoosTrax

I guess the problem for a lot of people is, that there are some Games people were waiting for to get discounted and still didnt, while you saw Sanctum, Civ5, Terraria, Shogun like 3-4 times, while the others, you eagerly wait for, still didnt get a discount.
Hmm I don't know, looking at my wishlist now, I've knocked a decent number of entries off. The things still remaining are:

- pre-orders
- games that I'm waiting for a complete pack for (Civ V)
- games that I'm only casually interested in and were on a daily/flash/vote discount but hasn't dropped to a price I'm willing to pay for them at
- CoD4, Amalur DLC

So with only 2 exceptions, everything else I'm interested in has in fact been on a major promo discount.

Has anyone played Crusader Kings II multiplayer? How is it?

Well, I haven't played it multiplayer. I bought it for playing multiplayer, that was my only purpose. I created an empire, several kingdoms, conquered most of the Euroasia. But not a single moment of multiplayer. My excuse is, "I'm trying to get a hold of this game".

It is a black hole of time. If you want to see the sky again and breathe the fresh air of outside your house, don't get it.

BUY THIS GAME

ClueLess

Neo Member
Has DMC 4 ever been cheaper than it is now (currently $10 at the moment)? Seeing as how a good amount of yesterday's and today's dailies are repeats of flash/community deals, I figured I'd just buy it now. What do you guys think ?

I'm with you. I prefer a more linear approach for my shooters. Never finished Crysis 1. Beat the second in 2-3 days.

therapist

If you've never tried to buy a game you already owned, you haven't truly Steamed.

LOL

Was on the fence with far cry 2 , but someone above mentioned that the enemies are bullet sponges...i freaking hate that.

Do you actually get strong enough weapons , or is a headshot never a kill?

Every new steam day on GAF: "WHAT THE FUCK, ALL THESE REPEATS. WORST SALE EVER."
Come on guys, you knew that it was going to be this way. I'm disappointed in the amount of incessant whining that goes on.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
12 to 15 hours maybe, but you should stop playing once you meet the North Korean general. It stops being any good at that point.

Is that before or after the Core? I got to the end of that area and couldn't figure out how to open the door, and never went back to the game.

It was pretty enjoyable up to that area (which wasn't nearly as fun as the previous areas).

1-D_FTW

I would disagree (as would many others). It's a good game (with a couple really terrible levels that border on being infamous bad). But aside from Chaos Theory (far and away the series peak), it's my second favorite game in the series. And the Co-op mode (which can be played solo), is old-school Splinter Cell. It's worth time and money IMO.

Every new steam day on GAF: "WHAT THE FUCK, ALL THESE REPEATS. WORST SALE EVER."
Come on guys, you knew that it was going to be this way. I'm disappointed in the amount of incessant whining that goes on.

Folks just sticking with this year's theme:)

HEY GAF THANKS

:|
Crysis 2: I thought it started kinda boring but got a lot better. It's like Halo in that you're led to zones with a lot of combat options, and exploring those options is great, but it's not like Crysis where you have a big open area to wander around.

Conviction: If you go in wanting to play Chaos Theory you'll be disappointed. It's closer to Metal Gear Solid in that stealth is much more optional and temporary, although still important. The game is designed to generally reward stealthy setup followed by blasts of action, unlike prior entries where remaining stealthy at all times is the most/only rewarding play style. I had a lot of fun once I let go of the notion that it had to play like CT and nothing else.

I have a more favorable opinion of FC2 than most people around here, but based your post you might not like it. The missions usually consist of driving to the red X on your map and killing everyone in the area, there's nothing in the way of set pieces, but it does allow you some flexibility in tackling goals. You can snipe enemies from afar, pop 'em one by one with a silenced pistol, go in guns blazing, explode/burn everything in sight, and so on. Crysis 1 and STALKER do the open-ended shooter thing better, but I think FC2 does enough to stand out from the glut of samey current gen FPS games.

It's an ambitious and very immersive game, but it has a few major issues holding it back like the lifeless and oversized overworld, the rapidly respawning guard outposts and the annoying malaria mechanic which forces you to drive across the map to buy pills every couple hours. I think it's worth a shot if you have the patience to get it's very rough edges.

Thanks Snuggler, that's a very balanced breakdown of the game, I'm glad you gave the pros and cons, and the cons oyu mentioned is the exact very reasons why I wouldn't enjoy playing a game like that. The bolded sure sounds like a good highlight, (something I look for in FPS's) but not sure if it's worth it.

Karram

It's funny that I already own every single game in the daily deal. I still haven't played any of them though, that's the sad part.

BiggNife

Thisisneogafdude.jpg

This happens all the time. People were decrying this sale before it even happened, saying that all of the games on sale on Steam would be on Amazon for cheaper. And while it is true that some Steam prices got undercut by Amazon, certainly not all of them have.

kairotic

Neo Member
Well, I haven't played it multiplayer. I bought it for playing multiplayer, that was my only purpose. I created an empire, several kingdoms, conquered most of the Euroasia. But not a single moment of multiplayer. My excuse is, "I'm trying to get a hold of this game".

It is a black hole of time. If you want to see the sky again and breathe the fresh air of outside your house, don't get it.

BUY THIS GAME

OK FINE! I'll buy it.

I think I'm up to 30 games bought this sale so far... ffuucckkkk

First Steam sale though so I have an excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom