• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koroviev

Every new steam day on GAF: "WHAT THE FUCK, ALL THESE REPEATS. WORST SALE EVER."
Come on guys, you knew that it was going to be this way. I'm disappointed in the amount of incessant whining that goes on.

It's normal for veteran Steam users to have many of the games being put on sale, but it's not normal for there to be so many rehashes.

That said, it doesn't really bother me.

First time: "Eh, think I'll pass. I don't really know anything about that game."
Second time: "Well, people sure do seem to like it. Maybe there's something to it."

Interim: "What have I done? Why did I not realize how glorious that game is?...I-I don't need it. I don't need."

Third time: "I can't click 'purchase' fast enough."

jph139

I'm torn between The Witcher and the original Half-Life. I've only got $3 left in my Steam Wallet so it's an either-or situation... how low has the price for Half-Life gone in past sales? Has it ever dropped to 80%?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
HEXcT.gif

Poor Cyl.

I love that you keep doing this, but it flashes too quickly for me to check everything out :)

Koroviev

If you guys had to pick one game, which would it be? Driver:SF or Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet? Help, i can't decide!!!

I'd go with Driver. I think it's the lesser of two evils :\

I'm torn between The Witcher and the original Half-Life. I've only got $3 left in my Steam Wallet so it's an either-or situation... how low has the price for Half-Life gone in past sales? Has it ever dropped to 80%?

Personally, I would go with The Witcher.

Conviction and Far Cry 2 are both excellent games.

People should just consider Conviction to be spin-off if that makes people feel better. No its not Chaos Theory. Yes, its great in its own way, and the extra challenge modes and co-op campaign are worth every penny just on their own.

Far Cry 2 is fucking amazing, but its a game for people that want a large space to roam and slowly hunt their prey rather than a linear run and gun shooter. Its got a lot of unique elements to it and for the right players they'll absolutely love it. Best open world sniping to be found anywhere too.

HoosTrax

It's normal for veteran Steam users to have many of the games being put on sale, but it's not normal for there to be so many rehashes.

That said, it doesn't really bother me.

First time: "Eh, think I'll pass. I don't really know anything about that game."
Second time: "Well, people sure do seem to like it. Maybe there's something to it."

Interim: "What have I done? Why did I not realize how glorious that game is?...I-I don't need it. I don't need."

Third time: "I can't click 'purchase' fast enough."
This^

I think it's a experiment in figuring out how to break down the psychological barriers before a person will yield and buy the game.

see5harp

So basically the easiest way to play with friends is by creating a virtual LAN? That seems really broken to me. Usually I see Steamworks support and just assume the developers aren't idiots and understand how to create an invite system but I guess not.

EDIT: I guess it isn't steamworks. I saw they have a filter in the game browser for friend's games, but I guess that is broken or barely works.

Ok, I know there is one more day but is anybody else after losing confidence that Arma 2 will go on sale? I'm really considering just spending my money on the current sales as opposed to wait and then miss out on the rest of the deals.

Any more input GAF?

Between PvsZ and Limbo

Played both, I would definitely go with PvsZ. so much richer experience, PvsZ like a good hearty meal at a nice mid-class restaurant....

Limbo like a trendy Sushi bar your friends praise, you go there, spend lotta money and still feel hungry and there was nothing special about the Sushi.

Not saying its a bad game at all, but the expectations far exceed the experience. sorry to say.

atomico

Kinda tempted by the Deus EX HR DLC and Crysis 2 (or the collection, since I never played any game in the series)

Hopefully I'll forget about it and the sale will be over by then

Yes, I strongly agree. Anyone thinking of Conviction should just stop. It's a mediocre game, and the black-to-light transition is just awful, just plain awful. It's kind of cool in the beginning of the game, but a couple hours in it'll give you a headache.

It's fun, but a passable experience unless you're a diehard of the series.

I'd recommend getting Chaos Theory, one of my top 10 favorite games for sure.

But I'm still torn about Chaos Theory because:

1) It's dated and will look like poop.

2) It doesn't have official multiplayer which probalby means hours of frustration trying to ehlp friends set it up. And I have several friends that are paranoid/nervous about messing with network settings.

3) Conviction has the best co-op mode.

On the other hand:

1) Chaos Theory is supposed to be best versus.

2) It's half the price.

Question: Do you have to mess with port forwarding and network config stuff to get Chaos Theory running?

zendavis

Banned
Games You Should CONSIDER Picking Up:

01. Dungeon Defenders (360 Controller Support) - Fantastic and addictive game. Too much fun with friends. Split-screen co-op play as well so if you want to gather your friends around one screen, this will work too. Collect loot, pets, and support one another as you battle wave after wave of enemies.

02. Driver: SF (360 Controller Support) - For my money, the BEST driving game of this generation. Totally enjoyable from start to finish. Feel good story. Fantastic ending sequence and payoff. And just kind of a joy to play.

03. Magicka (360 Controller Support) - Haven't gotten too far into this but get your friends on a LAN party - if you've got friends - and it's totally worth the damage.

Dynoro

Anyone else getting their purchase declined? Steam is saying my credit card company has declined it but after phoning them they are saving that they have accepted it (and all my information is correct) and that Steam is rejecting it after the bank says it is ok.

I guess it may be that the servers are busy atm?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Everyone should buy PvZ, but in my blasphemous opinion, it's much better as a time killer on a mobile device than something to sit down and play on PC.

1-D_FTW

Ok, I know there is one more day but is anybody else after losing confidence that Arma 2 will go on sale? I'm really considering just spending my money on the current sales as opposed to wait and then miss out on the rest of the deals.

It's always been naive to think it would be anything other than a last day sale (if it was going to happen). Bohemia is milking this cow for all it's worth. And even if it is on the final day, don't expect more than 33 percent off.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Ok, I know there is one more day but is anybody else after losing confidence that Arma 2 will go on sale?
Sale lasts through the 22nd, FYI.

But there's no way Arma 2 is getting a better discount. It's selling too well at its current price. Buy it or leave it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I love that you keep doing this, but it flashes too quickly for me to check everything out :)
If you guys would prefer it to be slower then that's no problem.

HiDT8.gif

Don't forget to check the OP since Salsa puts all the individual pics in there each day.

BiggNife

Anyone thinking of Conviction should just stop. It's a mediocre game, and the black-to-light transition is just awful, just plain awful. It's kind of cool in the beginning of the game, but a couple hours in it'll give you a headache.

I think that's a really harsh assessment of Conviction. It has some frustrating sections but I really liked the Mark-and-Execute mechanic and I thought it was a solid game on the whole.

Personally I would say that if you're interested in it, get it. It's only $5.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hey guys, made a video for the Summer sale. Where do I find it on my computer? I made it with Counter Strike, if that matters.

What did use to record the footage? If it was fraps, it should be tucked away under it's directory in program files. You'll have to upload it from your computer to your youtube account, then from your youtube account to your Steam profile.

Enco

I'm guessing Driver isn't going to convert someone who isn't a big car game fan?

Looking at Splinter Cell for the coop.

Driver seems to need an internet connection to launch...

HoosTrax

Between PvsZ and Limbo

Played both, I would definitely go with PvsZ. so much richer experience, PvsZ like a good hearty meal at a nice mid-class restaurant....

Limbo like a trendy Sushi bar your friends praise, you go there, spend lotta money and still feel hungry and there was nothing special about the Sushi.

Not saying its a bad game at all, but the expectations far exceed the experience. sorry to say.
Agreed, not a bad game, it's just one of those things ("trendy" is apt) where people overhype what it in reality a somewhat niche game that they should be careful about recommending to everyone. Kind of like Dear Esther.

feel free to throw stuff at me now if you disagree with my assessment

schnell

03. Magicka (360 Controller Support) - Haven't gotten too far into this but get your friends on a LAN party - if you've got friends - and it's totally worth the damage.

Thanks for letting me know that Magicka supports the 360 controller. I liked the idea behind the game but couldn't stand the controls. Now I can play it! And it has been added to the too-long list of games to be beaten.

Wanace

Welp I just bought the FEAR collection and Driver SF. The only thing left I haven't bought that I want is Alpha Protocol. So if it doesn't get a daily I'll buy it on the last day for the discount price that it's at now.

I only have like $16 left so thats my last game I'll buy. I've bought so much this sale though it's ridiculous.

Koroviev

I'm guessing Driver isn't going to convert someone who isn't a big car game fan?

Looking at Splinter Cell for the coop.

Driver seems to need an internet connection to launch...

I don't think Driver is really about the driving. It's not a refined racer or anything. It features an interesting mechanic and a wacky story.

This is also the first sale that had flash deals, so it's a little different than the typical Steam sale.

Yeah this is what happened. The flash deals and community deals end up putting a lot more games on sale per day than normal. But I'm not sure why anyone is complaining. I guess they would rather have had to wait until the last day to find out if say Driver:SF was on sale? Then when it wasnt people would have been pissed that they passed up on another game they wanted while waiting and hoping for Driver:SF.

this also help devs and publishers who might normally have had to wait to have their daily on the last day when less people had money. No, I think this system is much better.

Sale lasts through the 22nd, FYI.

But there's no way Arma 2 is getting a better discount. It's selling too well at its current price. Buy it or leave it.

Indeed but tomorrow's deals are the final new ones (going by previous sales anyway) and then the final day's deals will be a recap of other deals (unless I've mixed the days up).

It's always been naive to think it would be anything other than a last day sale (if it was going to happen). Bohemia is milking this cow for all it's worth. And even if it is on the final day, don't expect more than 33 percent off.

I was hoping that it would be the "big" sale with a 50% discount to encourage a huge influx of buyers but yes, I guess you're right that even if it does get a sale they'll probably just leave it with 33%.

Gala

Why is Assassins Creed 1 so fucking boring besides the story quests? I have to kill the second three guys now and I hate this stupid sidequests. They ruin really ruin the game for me... My best friend is keep telling me that I should play through it because Assassins Creed II is really good...hrng

Shurayuki

I guess you shouldn't even try to play it with a controller, it really works way better if you use a keyboard (the controller interface will result in very very slow spell output)

Everyone should buy PvZ, but in my blasphemous opinion, it's much better as a time killer on a mobile device than something to sit down and play on PC.

Makes perfect sense, but then again there's no reason why you can't kill time at your desktop too, and it's worth all the money too...so yeah

The whole PvZ crew is positively insane, I love Shigihara too (To The Moon - Everything's Alright is so great)
spend spend spend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom