• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baust

As someone who had no prior experience with shmups before Jamestown, I enjoyed it and found it very accessible. Maybe the shmup connoisseurs look down on it, but for your average Joe, I don't see how it could be considered a horrible game.
This. I found it enjoyable, but there are better games in the genre. It's a great entry point for the shmup though.

Shurayuki

Hi, I just want to take a moment and implore everyone here to NOT buy Jamestown. It is a shitty imitation of vastly superior games. Horrible design, dismal aesthetics. Blech.

Naaah, it's a beginner friendly Danmaku/Bullet hell game.
Yes it never even remotely approaches the deadly beauty of the "real" games, but it's charming Steampunk visuals and story and more laid back gameplay more than make up for it.
If you've always been repelled by the ruthlessness of danmaku games, this is your fix.

Only issue I had/have was framerate differences between not v-sync and vsync and I'm not sure which rate it was supposed to be played at (at the high framerate some of the challenges are just...no, but slow feels too slow).

Ultimadrago

It has GFWL DRM.

KInyL.png

I'm lying, wonder if it's possible to patch out though.

Is Splinter Cell a good pick for someone who only has $6 left? I wanted to hold out until the end to see if anything good popped up on the final day but even if it did, I don't have enough money to buy the good stuff. :/

Thanks for the Driver/Splinter replies.

I think I'll pass on Driver. I'll consider Splinter. Sure they're cheap but I have plenty of games and I don't want a game I wont touch.

You're probably referring to SC:Conviction... but I am looking at SC: Chaos Theory right now, looks like a nice classic, I never had an xbox back in the day to play this... and my friends always praised it..but even at $2.50, would I play it if I get it?
Hmmm

therapist

Is Red Orchestra 2 worth it? It looks like a great game, but I've heard it's really buggy. How is the community for it?

For 5 $ it is a steal most bugs fixed , and was recently optimized with goty release...BUY IT NAOW

Community isnt the best , but there are always servers to play on , i never have trouble finding any.
Esp with the recent sales theres a lot of noobs to pwn.

For Far Cry 2 i found a graphics mod looks ok , its tiny as shit to dl too :

http://www.moddb.com/mods/far-cry-2-graphical-enhancement-suite/downloads/fc2-ges-v1001

Fireblend

Banned
Anyway, my loot so far:

Alan Wake
Alan Wake: American Nightmare
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
PixelJunk: Eden
Prince of Persia '08
Rayman Origins
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Skyrim
Waves

Pretty happy with it. I'm pretty sure this will be it unless Dustforce shows up.

RedSwirl

But I'm still torn about Chaos Theory because:

1) It's dated and will look like poop.

Not it doesn't. Holds up rather well in my opinion.

2) It doesn't have official multiplayer which probalby means hours of frustration trying to ehlp friends set it up. And I have several friends that are paranoid/nervous about messing with network settings.

Hold the fuck up. Are you suggesting the game STILL has working multiplayer? Like someone figured out homebrew servers or somethign?! If you know please do tell!

Not it doesn't. Holds up rather well in my opinion.

Hold the fuck up. Are you suggesting the game STILL has working multiplayer? Like someone figured out homebrew servers or somethign?! If you know please do tell!

Yes, that is what people were saying earlier in this thread.

I still have a measly $1.26. Wondering whether anything will go on sale for under a buck. Probably not, given what I've seen so far. Looks like the lowest for a full game has been $2.49.

Of course I have one of those "dammit" stories. Picked up GalCivII for $9.99 only to see a flash of it last night for $4.99.

oipic

A quick shout-out to I H8 Memes for his friendly and efficient gifting service. Recommended!

Thanks again mate.

...and with his help, I think my sale just might be done. Perhaps.

bonesquad

It has GFWL DRM.

As someone who has avoided GFWL until now (for no other reason than I just didn't happen to purchase a game with it), what does this mean exactly? ITSP looks somewhat interesting, but if there's something I should be aware of first I'd like to know.

MRORANGE

As someone who has avoided GFWL until now (for no other reason than I just didn't happen to purchase a game with it), what does this mean exactly? ITSP looks somewhat interesting, but if there's something I should be aware of first I'd like to know.

It's multi player, co-op and achievement system will use the GFWL integration and overlay.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I still have a measly $1.26. Wondering whether anything will go on sale for under a buck. Probably not, given what I've seen so far. Looks like the lowest for a full game has been $2.49.
There are a couple of games out there below the $2.49 mark. Toki Tori and Tobe's Vertical Adventure are $1.24. Binding of Isaac was too, when it was a flash/daily. Arcadia's $1.25 (yeah, a penny more lol). Sequence is $1.99 and the Sega emulations are $1.74 each, though you technically can't afford those...

...There's probably a few more out there.

MRORANGE

So basically the difference is just that it uses GFWL's system instead of Steam's. Disappointing, but not a deal breaker (especially at that price). Thanks.

Pretty much, it works most of the time and isn't that bad, some people may have problems with downloads with the client though or some regions of the world may not be supported.

DSmalls84

Is the the Complete Magicka set worth getting or should I just go with the base game? I feel like this game is on sale all the time, but I still don't have it.

There are a couple of games out there below the $2.49 mark. Toki Tori and Tobe's Vertical Adventure are $1.24. Binding of Isaac was too, when it was a flash/daily. Arcadia's $1.25 (yeah, a penny more lol). Sequence is $1.99 and the Sega emulations are $1.74 each, though you technically can't afford those...

...There's probably a few more out there.

Binding of Isaac easily the best $1.24 ever.

I bet on the last day of the sale, its just gonna be Gabe on the left of the steam store, and Rocket (the dayZ creator) on the right side, and ARMA II: CO in the middle for like 75% off, with a video/how to install DayZ thing below that.

World economy raises 10% that day.

Countries announce prosperity. World peace is achieved.

Ultimadrago

Once you go GFWL, you never go back.

Pretty much, it works most of the time and isn't that bad, some people may have problems with downloads with the client though or some regions of the world may not be supported.

Well, this makes me feel better.
I just never liked the idea of an alternate program overlay within Steam games.

That only thing it's missing is native controller support.

Welcome to Flash.

(Also the game's very buggy. Still worth $1.24 though)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Limbo
Twisted shadow planet
Far cry
Far cry 2 +DLC

11.25$

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom