• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

Okay peeps, (asked the 800th time by a GAFfer)

Civ V.

I am Civ newb, but my friends play it a lot and it looks like it can be addictive.

Should I pick it up by itself? Get the GOTY? or get another Civ?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
With the flash deals, it seems like everything is just getting recycled over and over again in these dailies. Weird sale, indeed.

Fireblend

Banned

Civ V.

I am Civ newb, but my friends play it a lot and it looks like it can be addictive.

Civ V is great, and although the changes from IV pretty much divided the community, I think it's a great starting point and a better game overall, specially after the latest Gods and Kings DLC. Go for V for sure.

Double

Why is Assassins Creed 1 so fucking boring besides the story quests? I have to kill the second three guys now and I hate this stupid sidequests. They ruin really ruin the game for me... My best friend is keep telling me that I should play through it because Assassins Creed II is really good...hrng
Just skip the sidequests? If possible.

Shurayuki

GTAIV lost my saves for some reason.

It's a bit hit and miss.

Ah good to know, definitely going to keep on GameSaveManager then, the Icenhancer thread has tempted me to try frying my PC for those beautiful visuals. (Ice does help, see girl! even if you're not reading this >_<)

Also a nice opportunity to plug GameSaveManager and Dropbox again. Free combo to keep all your saves organised, save from random deletion/hdd failure and you have cloud saves for all your games people!

XeroSauce

Civ V.

If you are getting into it for the first time, Civ 5, very friendly, VERY TIME-CONSUMING. I've launched it maybe 7 times and I've spent like 40-50 hours on it.

Wok

Ah good to know, definitely going to keep GameSaveManager then, the Icenhancer thread has tempted me to try frying my PC for those beautiful visuals.

Also a nice opportunity to plug GameSaveManager and Dropbox again. Free combo to keep all your saves organised, save from random deletion/hdd failure and you have cloud saves for all your games people!

Listen to this, Gaffers. So far, this has been the only good way to manage your saves.

Civ V.

I'm a Civ newbie too and I picked up the Civ V GOTY when it was on sale a few weeks ago. Amazing game and easy to learn. You will keep playing "just one more" turn until the early hours of the morning.

So yeah, get Civ V GOTY. Then pick up Gods & Kings during the holiday sale when it will hopefully be offered at a greater discount.

can't you just manually copy-paste saves every now and then, to back them up?

I havent had issues with saves yet with GFWL, but the loss-issue is kinda keeping me away from Dark Souls for PC (probably wouldn't play that till December anyways).

jerd

Magicka Collection has been purchased. I'm 100% done unless Arma II Combined drops.
Not the first time I've said this

My opinion on Magicka

TL:DR version:
buy Magicka? Yes
Buy DLC?
The Stars Are Left - Yes
Vietnam & The Other Side of the Coin - maybe
Rest - No
Base game vs the collection?
Looks for Magicka keys in the Steam trade thread (and contact me *puppy eyes*). I recommend the base game, but the deal on the collection is very good if you want the adventure and challenge DLCs.

I really enjoy Magicka, I definitely recommend it. You can create your own spells by combining elements and use them in different ways (normal cast, area, enchant your weapon). The best aspect of the game is the co-op imo. Nothing is more fun than everyone throwing spells around and accidentally killing each other (as anyone can res, death is cheap). It is a lot more difficult and frustrating in single player, but made quite some changes that make the single player easier. Another great aspect is the world that parodies almost every fantasy/game/movie trope. I'm not sure, but I guess it's still buggy.

As for the DLC, the DLC is divided into four categories

New adventure/campaign (recommended):
The Stars are Left. This DLC adds a new 3 chapter campaign and has a Cthulhu theme. Recommended, just for the cultists in the second chapter. Also includes new survival maps with new enemies. If you play online, only the host needs to have this DLC to play it.

Challenge missions (maybe):
Vietnam and The Other Side of the Coin.
The challenge mission is almost like a single campaign chapter. However, there are no checkpoints like the survival maps. That means once everyone is dead, you have to redo the entire mission. Incredibly frustrating in SP. I really don't like the Vietnam mission, the addition of guns/ranged weapons to the game does not work. Prepare to get instakilled from off screen enemies etc. I haven't played the other challenge mission yet. I would not recommend this to a new player. If you play online, only the host needs to have this DLC to play it.

Survival/PvP maps (not recommended):
More maps for survival or PvP. The base game already contain at least three survival maps. I would not recommend it. If you play online, only the host needs to have this DLC to play it.

Customes (not recommended):
Mostly cosmetic, you can chose between different robes. Pretty useless, but fun. The base game already contains a number of different robes. Not recommended.

Base game vs the collection?
The collection contains all the current DLC and pricewise it's a very good deal (for the price of the base game + the newest DLC you get everything). But I would not recommend all the DLC to new players who aren't sure whether they will like the game/how much time they will spend on it. Of all the DLC I'd only recommend The Stars Are Left without question.

I would suggest to look at the Steam Trading topic or ask here if people have extra keys for Magicka (with some DLC) from the Amazon Paradox bundle. You should be able to get them for cheap.
Also blatant self promotion, I have keys for the base game + Vietnam + The Stars are Left (And some more DLC) that I want to sell for the current price of the base game

jph139

Civ V.

The GOTY Edition is pretty much just extra civilizations - Spain, Inca, the Vikings, Babylon, and Polynesia. There are some pretty cool ones there (the Inca let you get crazy rich, and Polynesia is just interesting overall), so I bit no questions asked and even bought the Korea/Wonders DLC on top.

If the draw of the series is the Civilizations and you're interested in history - which I am - than GOTY is the way to go. But if you just like the basic gameplay, there's more than enough in the vanilla version to satisfy you, and if you ever decide to buy the DLC included it would only be like a dollar more.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Could be worse I suppose.

NFS:Hot Pursuit = 4.99
Ys Origin = 7.99
Hard Reset = 3.75
Half Life 1 = 2.49
LA Noire = 7.49
Ys Oath = 5.09
Double Pack = 1.49
Chantelise = 2.49
------------------------
Total = $35.68

Shurayuki

can't you just manually copy-paste saves every now and then, to back them up?

I havent had issues with saves yet with GFWL, but the loss-issue is kinda keeping me away from Dark Souls for PC (probably wouldn't play that till December anyways).

Yeah but why do that if you can get a machine to do it for you (oh oh dystopia approaching?). Also what it does is move all your save into one directory and making the games think they're still saving to their real save locations which usually are scattered all over the place (game folder, documents, game saves folder, flash games even saved in some weird Apps...etc path you'd never search). Easy to find your saves now if you need to exchange files.

There really are only benefits to it. I'm only using it for a few days but it seems very nice to me so far.

Also you can use the storage to post huge ass gifs and monster resolution Screenshots on Gaf or something ^^ (2GB are free)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Is Far Cry 2 worth it? Even at $2.49? I'm not a cheap guy but it's $2.49 that can go to another game.

The game looks great but I remember getting bored due to the repetitive gameplay and weapon degradation. Maybe they've patched it since I last played but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really itching for a shooter to play.

Double

banner-inline-crop.png
Only for what the game itself already costs. DLC at its worst.

Fireblend

Banned
I only recall see Rayman Origins as a flash sale on the very first day and then a daily on the second or third but that's it for it.

No, it hasn't been a daily sale yet. I already bought it when it was a flash but I am hoping it shows up again since my gf fell in love with it and now wants to have it as well :p

Miker

Does anybody remember when SEGA put Alpha Protool on sale for $2 out of the blue?

Best day ever, and best purchase I've ever made on Steam.

Shurayuki

Also this is a bit stupid because most of you already saw it and it's not on sale anymore (too expensive right now, but this is the revengeance sale no?!)

But you can't tell me you don't want this in your eyes:

Currently tweaking 1.25 to my liking. Removed the awful glare / ray explosions, also from vehicle lights. Will be changing the trees to 2.1 settings, will see if I can import some of the improved lens flare, will also add the timecycles from 2.1 and perhaps look at the bloom, however it isn't too bad in 1.25.

Few more screenshots

iy9LxZ0vjabLW.png

iMBnDW5gcOaBg.png

GTAIV ICEnhancer

Sorry, go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom