• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

XeroSauce

Is Far Cry 2 worth it? Even at $2.49? I'm not a cheap guy but it's $2.49 that can go to another game.

Really repetitive, but I liked the system they had and the story isn't half bad, if not overused (gangs vs. corrupted government, horrah)

Worth $2.49

XeroSauce

My opinion on Magicka

TL:DR version:
buy Magicka? Yes
Buy DLC?
The Stars Are Left - Yes
Vietnam & The Other Side of the Coin - maybe
Rest - No
Base game vs the collection?
Looks for Magicka keys in the Steam trade thread (and contact me *puppy eyes*). I recommend the base game, but the deal on the collection is very good if you want the adventure and challenge DLCs.

I really enjoy Magicka, I definitely recommend it. You can create your own spells by combining elements and use them in different ways (normal cast, area, enchant your weapon). The best aspect of the game is the co-op imo. Nothing is more fun than everyone throwing spells around and accidentally killing each other (as anyone can res, death is cheap). It is a lot more difficult and frustrating in single player, but made quite some changes that make the single player easier. Another great aspect is the world that parodies almost every fantasy/game/movie trope. I'm not sure, but I guess it's still buggy.

As for the DLC, the DLC is divided into four categories

New adventure/campaign (recommended):
The Stars are Left. This DLC adds a new 3 chapter campaign and has a Cthulhu theme. Recommended, just for the cultists in the second chapter. Also includes new survival maps with new enemies. If you play online, only the host needs to have this DLC to play it.

Challenge missions (maybe):
Vietnam and The Other Side of the Coin.
The challenge mission is almost like a single campaign chapter. However, there are no checkpoints like the survival maps. That means once everyone is dead, you have to redo the entire mission. Incredibly frustrating in SP. I really don't like the Vietnam mission, the addition of guns/ranged weapons to the game does not work. Prepare to get instakilled from off screen enemies etc. I haven't played the other challenge mission yet. I would not recommend this to a new player. If you play online, only the host needs to have this DLC to play it.

Survival/PvP maps (not recommended):
More maps for survival or PvP. The base game already contain at least three survival maps. I would not recommend it. If you play online, only the host needs to have this DLC to play it.

Customes (not recommended):
Mostly cosmetic, you can chose between different robes. Pretty useless, but fun. The base game already contains a number of different robes. Not recommended.

Base game vs the collection?
The collection contains all the current DLC and pricewise it's a very good deal (for the price of the base game + the newest DLC you get everything). But I would not recommend all the DLC to new players who aren't sure whether they will like the game/how much time they will spend on it. Of all the DLC I'd only recommend The Stars Are Left without question.

I would suggest to look at the Steam Trading topic or ask here if people have extra keys for Magicka (with some DLC) from the Amazon Paradox bundle. You should be able to get them for cheap.
Also blatant self promotion, I have keys for the base game + Vietnam + The Stars are Left (And some more DLC) that I want to sell for the current price of the base game

Repost for new page.

Katoki

No, it hasn't been a daily sale yet. I already bought it when it was a flash but I am hoping it shows up again since my gf fell in love with it and now wants to have it as well :p

Ah you're right. Man it feels like the first few days were so long ago. These repeats feel like it's been drawn out so badly. I still have no clue what to make of that tiny small spacing for it if you scroll so the pricing map shows it by days.

http://www.steamprices.com/us/app/207490/rayman-origins

justjim89

Damn it, I'm torn between Crysis and Red Orchestra 2. I already have several multiplayer FPS's, but Red Orchestra looks so tempting. Then again, Crysis has been on my need to play list for a while. I should be able to run it ok, seeing as I can run Metro 2033 on medium settings with DX9.

Halp?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Hi, I just want to take a moment and implore everyone here to NOT buy Jamestown. It is a shitty imitation of vastly superior games. Horrible design, dismal aesthetics. Blech.

This is like telling people not to buy X-men or Simpsons with belt scrollers

Yeah they're horrible representations of the genre, especially when compared to better games but most people don't care and think they're all the same.

MRORANGE

Damn it, I'm torn between Crysis and Red Orchestra 2. I already have several multiplayer FPS's, but Red Orchestra looks so tempting. Then again, Crysis has been on my need to play list for a while. I should be able to run it ok, seeing as I can run Metro 2033 on medium settings with DX9.

Halp?

Crysis.

DSmalls84

Halp?

I would go with Crysis. RO2 is primarily a multiplayer game and last I heard the community wasn't very large.

Scoops

Banned
Alan Wake Complete (9.99)
Hitman Blood Money (2.49)
Mirror's Edge (4.99)
Nba 2k12 (9.99)
STALKER: SoC (4.99)
Tiny & Big: Grandpa's Leftovers (5.99)
Splinter Cell Conviction Complete (8.73)

$47.23

Not bad at all. Still waiting on a few things. Will probably pick up Just Cause 2 if it goes on sale again and Arma.

Just bought the civ collection, limbo, fallout 3 goty and the witcher enhanced edition

Grab the Witcher II also! It's like the best of the Witcher 1, but with much better combat, great soundtrack, incredible story, and much, much better controls.

combat is similar to Batman Arkham asylum or city.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
This is like telling people not to buy X-men or Simpsons with belt scrollers

Yeah they're horrible representations of the genre, especially when compared to better games but most people don't care and think they're all the same.

It's an STG for those who don't even know what STG means, really. Couldn't care less about it myself, but whatevah.

Enco

Does anybody remember when SEGA put Alpha Protool on sale for $2 out of the blue?

Best day ever, and best purchase I've ever made on Steam.
Even though I said I'm done, I would snatch it up at that price. Don't see it going that low though.

But I'm still torn about Chaos Theory because:

1) It's dated and will look like poop.

2) It doesn't have official multiplayer which probalby means hours of frustration trying to ehlp friends set it up. And I have several friends that are paranoid/nervous about messing with network settings.

3) Conviction has the best co-op mode.

On the other hand:

1) Chaos Theory is supposed to be best versus.

2) It's half the price.

Question: Do you have to mess with port forwarding and network config stuff to get Chaos Theory running?

Chaos Theory most certainly does not look like poop. I didn't have to tunnel or anything for multiplayer either. Buy CT and not Conviction.

CT co-op is FAR better than Conviction Co-op as well.

Atruvius

Far Cry 2 for 2.50? Of course I'm gonna buy that shit! Now I have some money... hey there's Amnesia, of course I'm gonna buy that shit, play it once and then be too scared to even put my computer on.

Double

I still cant decide whether to get Deus Ex HR for 2€ or Arkham City for 4€ at gmg, but i guess HR since i havent even palyed through Asylum yet :>

ßthePenguin;40081814 said:
I still cant decide whether to get Deus Ex HR for 2€ or Arkham City for 4€ at gmg, but i guess HR since i havent even palyed through Asylum yet :>

I got one for my earlier "freebie acquisition" but the last one didn't give me one. And the community one doesn't stack up with sales.

Ultimadrago

Personal Haul/"Damages":

Civ V GOTY: $12.49
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet: $3.74
Machinarium: $2.49
The Longest Journey: $2.49
Swords and Soldiers HD w/ DLC: $2.74
Chantelise: $2.49
Torchlight: $3.74
GTA Complete Pack: $12.49
Gundemonium Bundle: $4.99
Dear Esther + OST: $3.74
Indie Bundle V : $9.99
The Walking Dead: $15.99
Shatter: $2.49
Fallout 3 GOTY: $4.99
Fallout New Vegas Ultimate: $9.99
Caster: $.99
Monkey Island: Special Edition Bundle: $3.74
Tobe's Veritcal Adventure: $1.24
Borderlands GOTY: $7.49
Skyrim: $29.79
PixelJunk Eden: $2.00
Half-Life 1 Anthology: $3.74
Binding of Isaac Bundle: $2.23
Trine 2: $3.74
Terraria, Legend of Grimrock: $8.48
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition: $4.99

Total: 163.28

XlBZe.gif

(Maybe I did the math wrong)

Gift:

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet: $3.74
Plants vs Zombies: $2.49
Dead Space 2: $4.99
Assassin's Creed: Deluxe, Brotherhood: $12.48

Total: 23.70
(Thinking of a couple move giveaways)

Owensboro

Another day, another two games to get. I've been interested in Zeno Clash since I beat Rock of Ages. Also, I hope Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is good. It sure looks fun.

Sianos

You should all buy Deus Ex if for some reason you haven't already. The original and Human Revolution are the best, and I recommend HR's DLC as well.

dmr87

ßthePenguin;40081814 said:

Trust me, go for Deus Ex.

The_Monk

My eyes can't believe GTA IV with those mods... amazing! I wonder how hard can be for an amateur at this for someone to install all these mods.

I should get GTA IV one day..

therapist

Does anybody remember when SEGA put Alpha Protool on sale for $2 out of the blue?

Best day ever, and best purchase I've ever made on Steam.

Best deal ever was i went to walmart and it was 1$ for the retail copy.
That and burnout paradise 1$ each , cheapest i ever paid for retail games.

Double

I got one for my earlier "freebie acquisition" but the last one didn't give me one. And the community one doesn't stack up with sales.
Hum, only got one freebie and just remembered my email on gmg is another one for paypal measures. Could use the 2nd one to get the other game cheaper but i guess ill pass and just get HR for now.

Trust me, go for Deus Ex.
You better not betray me! Here i come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom