• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone get Far Cry 2 right now. It was worth it for $60 at launch, it was worth double- and triple-dipping and it's simply a must-buy now. My GOTY 2008 and the most immersive and freeform shooter ever made. It's simply brilliant and totally unique in the way it lets you approach each mission however you want. It's also incredibly beautiful. The malaria some people complain about is story-driven, not random and it goes away as the game progresses. If you love experiencing breathtaking scenery and planning your loadout, angle of approach etc you must play this game.

It's also incredibly boring and repetitive!

*gets $50 Steam Wallet voucher after game trades-in*
*already down to $9*

-Deus Ex: Human Revolution + The Missing Link (actually got rid of my Xbox 360 copy)
-Driver: San Francisco
-Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
-Gifted a Sims 3 expansion to a friend

Debating between Alan Wake (which I have on Xbox 360 plus American Nightmare) and Civilization V...

I'm basically just making using my Xbox 360 irrelevant other than for Netflix.

Side note: Will now be paying $0 for New Super Mario Bros 2 :p

Danielsan

Everyone get Far Cry 2 right now. It was worth it for $60 at launch, it was worth double- and triple-dipping and it's simply a must-buy now. My GOTY 2008 and the most immersive and freeform shooter ever made. It's simply brilliant and totally unique in the way it lets you approach each mission however you want. It's also incredibly beautiful.
This is what's giving me doubts. I know it looks great, but I'm afraid the respawning enemies as well as other issues will make it a drag to play.

Damn, picked up Driver but I got a really nasty stutter in it every 30 or so seconds. Not getting much help from Google about it either. :( Bah! Was excited to play this game again (rented on PS3).

MRORANGE

This is what's giving me doubts. I know it looks great, but I'm afraid the respawning enemies as well as other issues will make it a drag to play.

avoid roads and you should be fine, I actually liked being chased down every 5 minutes it's part of the charm and keeps you own your toes.

DSix

Banned
Eh, another repeat day.

I'm basically done with the sale now. But I hate myself for missing the NFS Hot Pursuit Sale (had to sleep), any chance it will come back?

cametall

Question, at this point, has there been a SINGLE GAME that has showed up as a daily that hsa never been a community choice or a flash sale?

I believe all the daily sales have shown up in the other two. Thus, it doesn't look good for ARMA 2 tomorrow.

You take that back! Take it back! *sobs*

There's still hope. Always hope.

DeS3InY

I'm having a dilemma. Alan Wake or Driver SF? I can afford only one of those games.

I'd like AW for the atmosphere/story/gameplay and Driver for the story/fun gameplay (Played it on OnLive for a while, loved it)

Question is, what game will have a bigger discount next steam sale?

Darkwater

What about Civ 5? I hear the game mechanics are kind of broken and certain strategies are like pressing the 'I win'-button.

Also, which DLC would you guys recommend?

AlexBasch

Well shit I made a mistake and tried to buy SC Conviction with my iPod's Safari browser and selected a wrong age in the restriction page and now I'm unable to see the contents, cleared cookies history and whatnot but still no dice. Argh.

I put 24 hours into that game, I tried REALLY hard to like it. The game is beautiful and it can be immersive ...sometimes. Then you remember that checkpoint that you just took out 5 minutes ago has respawned and you have to kill everyone again. The enemies are also relentless and will chase you down from a mile away.

cametall

Even with the respawning enemies I got my $60 worth out of it. The game can be very immersive and have engaging gun fights.

I'm considering getting it again. Haven't played it since its year of release on my 360.

It would be my second double-dip, with Metro 2033 being the first.

Watevaman

Everyone get Far Cry 2 right now. It was worth it for $60 at launch, it was worth double- and triple-dipping and it's simply a must-buy now. My GOTY 2008 and the most immersive and freeform shooter ever made. It's simply brilliant and totally unique in the way it lets you approach each mission however you want. It's also incredibly beautiful.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/dylans-far-cry-2-realism-mod
http://www.moddb.com/mods/far-cry-2-graphical-enhancement-suite

Those are what really pulled me back in to it. I used to think it was such a chore to do anything but the realism mod made it tolerable to fight the enemies and the GES made it look great after tweaks.

I'm getting a lot of freezing in Driver. It locks up for around ten seconds every minute or so and then continues. This video shows the issue.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=/watch?v=6egdDBAgQZY&v=6egdDBAgQZY&gl=US

i5 2500k
Gtx 670
Win 7 64
64gb m4 ssd
1tb 7200rpm data drive
8gb ddr3 ram

All drivers are up to date, nvidia control panel on default, and I played around with all the graphics options to no avail. anyone able to solve this?

Did you try verifying the game data?. Has helped me in the past with similar problems.

kaskade

I'm going to buy it, there's no problem with mods with the steam version right? I heard there's some decent ones that make the game much more fun.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
There is no way to overcome this, it's part of the gameplay, you can avoid most ambushes by not driving on the road but you end up getting lost.

I found that lots of the time, you can just drive through them really fast. The AI isn't smart enough to stop you.

There is no way to overcome this, it's part of the gameplay, you can avoid most ambushes by not driving on the road but you end up getting lost.

A lot of times I had enough luck to drive right by them and maybe run a guy or two over and get away with it. It was just one of those, "damnit here we go" things I got tired of. It definitely does keep you on your toes though.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/dylans-far-cry-2-realism-mod
http://www.moddb.com/mods/far-cry-2-graphical-enhancement-suite

Those are what really pulled me back in to it. I used to think it was such a chore to do anything but the realism mod made it tolerable to fight the enemies and the GES made it look great after tweaks.
I really couldn't get into the realism mod because it made every encounter ridiculously easy. It didn't seem as though I was taking more damage, but I was nailing constant one shot kills with body shots using the silenced Makarov, which would otherwise be one of the weakest guns in the game.

bigace33

tumblr_m5od5hfLCg1rt6ocno1_500.gif

Fireblend

Banned
I don't get the logic of some of you guys.

1. You hate that the sale has repeats, games suck, it's really a 1-week sale repeated, etc etc
2. You missed a game, so you really want it to appear again

o_O

Really want Skyrim, but I'm left wondering if it will appear again on sale. Hrmm.

And no, I haven't complained about repeating sales. In fact I think they're good for people who did miss out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom