• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.
How good is King's Bounty?

I love the series. Combat is turn based and very similar to FF:Tactics. Except your character is never in the battle, and instead of party members you have replaceable units that stack. So lets say 1 of the units you have in battle can do 1 damage, 100 will do 100 damage.

Credo

I didn't care for the game based on the demo, but after grabbing it from the last Humble Bundle I have to say, it really does live up to the hype (well alright, maybe not completely . The game IS overhyped. It surpassed my expectations though). Game is good, art is fantastic, narration is great.

That's pretty much how I feel. When I bought it, the GAF hype train was at full speed, so it never could have lived up to that. Still, I loved the music, narration, and art style, and I thought the gameplay was good enough too. I'd give it a 9/10 for sure.

Petrie

Banned
I have one Borderland GOTY for trade here!
My steam Login: MrBud360
Do you have any game for trade?

If he isnt interested I am, I've got a few things for trade:

Dungeon Defenders
Sequence
Strongbad Season 1
Saints Row 2
Empire Total War
Empire NAPOLEON
Worms

PM me if interested.

This thread has been very interesting and informative, since I'm very new in this forum.

I've been following GAF professional advices to the summer sale games and I'm quite satisfied for now, getting ready to today's deals and tomorrow "Gaben's Strikes Back"

Thank you GAF,

Greetings from Chile!

Ultimadrago

Bastion is slowly but surely becoming... dare I say it...? (My GotY)

It's a fun game. It pulled me in a vortex the first time I turned it on (and then my save deleted itself). I then beat it from start the next day and again the day after.

It was a gaming highlight for me last year for sure.

zendavis

Banned
PRETENTIOUS INDIE BULLSHIT!

I didn't care for the game based on the demo, but after grabbing it from the last Humble Bundle I have to say, it really does live up to the hype (well alright, maybe not completely . The game IS overhyped. It surpassed my expectations though). Game is good, art is fantastic, narration is great.

It's not an Indie title. It was produced by Warner Bros.

EDIT: I was wrong. :)

la_briola

Is Morrowind still a great game by today standards?
Is the steam version modable? (If yes: are there total conversions which make it look like Oblivion or better?)
Does it run on Windows 7?

Should I buy it?

I'll try one final time lol...can anyone tell me if Driver SF has a mode like the original Driver where you spawn and see how long you can outrun the police?

You can quantum leap into a cop car and start hunting down peeps Chase HQ style or you can quantum leap into a civilian car and start beef with the police and start chasing you all like reverse Chase HQ style.

Razek

Banned
OMG YESSSSSSSS!!!!! FINALLLYYYYYY OBLIVION!!!!
victory.jpg

Jeez I almost missed it too. Okay, now it's officially the best steam sale ever.

DukeBobby

Damn, only 50 minutes left to buy the Oblivion GOTY Edition. How are the mods for this game? I already own the game on the 360, so I'm wondering whether or not to double dip.

Razek

Banned
Damn, only 50 minutes left to buy the Oblivion GOTY Edition. How are the mods for this game? I already own the game on the 360, so I'm wondering whether or not to double dip.

From my research, there is basically a mod that fixes everything (I thought was) crappy about the game, including the scaling. If you liked the game, want to go through it again with some enhancements and better graphics/performance I'd say go for it. The deluxe edition is the only way to get some of the dlc on pc (I think?).

Uthred

Friend was looking for something in the sale that was akin to Baldurs Gate/Dragon Age Origins but in a sci-fi or wild west setting? The only thing that comes to mind is Arcanum, any other suggestions?

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
I really can't believe Steam isn't going to let me buy Morrowind before this deal is over. Fucking bullshit.

Anybody want to send it as a gift for paypal or something? I've gotten myself way too hyped to give that game another go. Lol

Check your Steam...

Buyer beware... apparently Steam is having big problems with GTA IV and EFLC CD keys with GFWL.

I picked up EFLC and of course GFWL is saying its invalid. GFWL errors is the new black. Always in fashion.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Bastion gameplay boring? Haha, wow. Well, I take it you make it the way you play the. I'm quick-countering everything with my shield while going manual long range and it's fucking amazing.

Is Morrowind still a great game by today standards?
Is the steam version modable? (If yes: are there total conversions which make it look like Oblivion or better?)
Does it run on Windows 7?

Should I buy it?
Morrowind is a bit of an odd game. If you've played Skyrim and Oblivion, you can draw a pretty linear progression back to Morrowind to get an idea of the kind of game it is. It's pretty complex and very exploitable mechanically. But it also gives you a lot more freedom than Oblivion or Skyrim do. Plus the setting is a lot less vanilla fantasy than either of those two games.

It is fully moddable, I believe. I haven't gotten as crazy with it as some people, but I've done a fair number of non-plugin mods with it. If I recall correctly, it may use a different version of the script extender than the retail version, but that shouldn't really be a barrier. Runs fine in Windows 7.

Do get in the habit of saving frequently, though. It's never been a completely stable game.

Bastion gameplay boring? Haha, wow. Well, I take it you make it the way you play the. I'm quick-countering everything with my shield while going manual long range and it's fucking amazing.

Its not boring, but before I got Bastion in the Humble Bundle, eveyone said how great the game was and such things.

In the end, the gameplay wasnt really special. More like a poor Mans Hack and slay, but the story was what driven me forward to complete this game two times.

How good is King's Bounty?

I'm a notable hater. So they took the basic HoMM formula, but they've turned it into pretty much just pure busywork by removing the rival AI heroes moving around the map. In HoMM choosing to go back to town to refill on troops was a strategic choice as that gave you fresh troops at the expense of time spent gaining XP or finding treasure. But in KB they just make you go back and refill just to waste your time, seriously there is no reason to not just let you refill troops from anywhere aside from just increasing annoyance and game length as there is no time limit and no opponents moving around the map. No AI opponents also means that defense is not an issue at all. So it's basically light RPG trimmings on top of a greatly simplified HoMM formula. Just move from section to section grinding on repetitive low level mobs, trying to keep losses to a minimum. Without opponents to race for resources for there is no reason to not play it as safely as possible and push to snag resources early or fight higher level mobs.

So yeah, it's charming as all get out. But I found it pretty brainless.

I'd be pissed off too for $3.74, but it was $7.99USD for me. I'm reluctant to spend more than $5 per game this sale otherwise I'll just get out of control. I know me all too well! :lol

I'm in exact same situation, my budget for a game cannot exceed $5, it's a good restriction to have, you can still buy a few decent games and wont feel too guilty doing so.

I see borderlands for $10 now, and yeah I think the cheapest it got was $7.50 or 8?

I'm using Steam in Canada, so I donno if it differs from US prices (don't think it does)

I still don't remember it being that cheap ($3.79) at all through this sale .

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I see borderlands for $10 now, and yeah I think the cheapest it got was $7.50 or 8?

Must've been the US price maybe. I dunno, but New Zealand prices are always higher, most of the time double the US price outside of the sales (EG: Max Payne 3 is $89.99USD for us). Makes impulse buys on Steam a little harder to swallow when you know across the sea others are enjoying them for a lot cheaper.

I'm in exact same situation, my budget for a game cannot exceed $5, it's a good restriction to have, you can still buy a few decent games and wont feel too guilty doing so.

I'm using Steam in Canada, so I donno if it differs from US prices (don't think it does)

The cheapest price was $4.99 & $7.49(I think) for the goty edition.

Does anyone think Freedom Force is worth $2.99? Has it aged well?

la_briola

Must've been the US price maybe. I dunno, but New Zealand prices are always higher, most of the time double the US price outside of the sales (EG: Max Payne 3 is $89.99USD for us). Makes impulse buys on Steam a little harder to swallow when you know across the sea others are enjoying them for a lot cheaper.

You could always let someone gift it to you.

edit: Thanks to MacGurcules. I will think about it a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom