• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

maesterxen

Neo Member
Hooray! The 15th Vote! My Summer sale badge is starting to be built, I knew there was a good reason I was staying up till 3am to make sure I wasn't missing any votes :p

Sianos

Good thing that steam store came back up, I was just about to play a video game.

Lord Gaben knows when things go too far.

haikira

PSA time.

Please don't buy Arkham City. The DRM is awful, and it's a game i wish i didn't buy on this sale. I tried to get a refund, but no luck. I'm actually considering asking, just to have it removed my library now, without a refund.

marrec

Banned
PSA time.

Please don't buy Arkham City. The DRM is awful, and it's a game i wish i didn't buy on this sale. I tried to get a refund, but no luck. I'm actually considering asking, just to have it removed my library now, without a refund.

What makes the DRM so awful again?

Regarding Stacking, yes, it's worth the three dollars and change. I haven't played the PC version, just played it on the 360. But it's a very charming puzzle/adventure game and the stacking mechanic is a lot of fun. Just don't use hints when playing.

Sianos

Hooray! The 15th Vote! My Summer sale badge is starting to be built, I knew there was a good reason I was staying up till 3am to make sure I wasn't missing any votes :p

Staying up for Fallout made all the other nights worth it. Even the night when Just Cause 2 lost to Dead Space.

SLV

PSA time.

How is it worse than Arkham Asylum ? Both have GFWL, anything else ? I have been trying to get someone to buy me the pack as it is not available in my region, but everyone is ignoring me -_-

I myself don't mind GFWL, never had any issues with it myself...

haikira

What makes the DRM so awful again?

You get limited activations for the game. Similar to what ubisoft has done with some of their games. Though unlike ubisoft's way of doing it, there's no monthly reset. You get a very limited amount of resets, and once they're gone, you're actually just told to repurchase the game. Funnily enough, that's something you can't even do on steam, without making a new account.

I don't like the idea, of buying a game with an expiry date. If you're a once and done kind of gamer, maybe it's fine then.

Nabs

Regarding Stacking, yes, it's worth the three dollars and change. I haven't played the PC version, just played it on the 360. But it's a very charming puzzle/adventure game and the stacking mechanic is a lot of fun. Just don't use hints when playing.

They added an FOV slider and various graphical options to the PC version. You can even remove the film grain and 30fps limit.

solarus

PSA time.

Eh it was too cheap for me to pass on it. The 3 layers of drm (securom, gfwl and steam) sucks but tbh I haven't had any problems with it (I know it's gonna be a pain when i start using up my 5 activations). What problems are you having with it?
EDIT: nvm you've answered already

I felt the same way until earlier this year when Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet came out and I got to the end only to have my save file corrupted. That's a common issue with games that use GFWL, among many others.

haikira

How is it worse than Arkham Asylum ? Both have GFWL, anything else ? I have been trying to get someone to buy me the pack as it is not available in my region, but everyone is ignoring me -_-

It's not about GFWL. I can tolerate GFWL. I have for many games, including GTA4, Dawn of War 2 and Arkham Asylum.

marrec

Banned
You get limited activations for the game. Similar to what ubisoft has done with some of their games. Though unlike ubisoft's way of doing it, there's no monthly reset. You get a very limited amount of resets, and once they're gone, you're actually just told to repurchase the game. Funnily enough, that's something you can't even do on steam, without making a new account.

I don't like the idea, of buying a game with an expiry date. If you're a once and done kind of gamer, maybe it's fine then.

So most people would be perfectly fine with it then?

Edit:

There's 5 activations? That seems like plenty.

Prelithe

PSA time.

lol wut. A one time activation, then on game load, add CD-key to GFWL. Done.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Afaik, -20% is the current and highest discount so far, but the sale isn't over yet. I predict a Steam meltdown when/if it goes 50-75%.

I don't think this will happen. Amazon had the ARMA 2 games for half off back in May, but its most recent discount, only a few days ago, was just 33%. I'd be surprised -- maybe even shocked -- if the Daily/Flash/Community's Choice discount is any higher.

Do you know if Arma II has been a daily yet?

Nope, not yet.

They added an FOV slider and various graphical options to the PC version. You can even remove the film grain and 30fps limit.

Oh, good to know. My next playthrough was going to be with the PC version, anyway, but it's nice to know there's added options. I didn't keep up with how the port ended up being.

haikira

So most people would be perfectly fine with it then?

I guess yes. I'm probably overreacting. I normally tolerate a lot of things, that i see complaints about online. But i think limited installations, for a game you own is ridiculous. If someone knows in advance, and they're fine with it, then go ahead. It's a fantastic game.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
About to get into this sale as well. Since none of you guys are shopping right now, will I be able to buy some decent titles on my Toshiba Portege r835? Preferrably cheap indie titles, I guess.

frozzted

I got it for free during a promotion, but here's the DRM info on it:

Batman: Arkham City; 5 machine limit, 10 activations per machine

marrec

Banned
I guess yes. I'm probably overreacting. I normally tolerate a lot of things, that i see complaints about online. But i think limited installations, for a game you own is ridiculous. If someone knows in advance, and they're fine with it, then go ahead. It's a fantastic game.

It's a sucky limitation, but we don't live in 1992 anymore where you'd have to install and uninstall a game multiple times across multiple computers in a year because of either install problems or computer upgrades or what-not. 5 installations should be fine for almost anybody.

Then again, I'm a vehement defender of Blizzards always on DRM for Diablo III, so there you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom