• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.
People taking these votes too seriously. It's just a bit of fun? You really think EA/Ubisoft gives a shit about some community vote? They're gonna use Origin and uplay whatever. And people will buy these games when they're a daily deal anyway. I think it was a missed opportunity to champion underdog games in the community votes instead of blockbusters like these.

Having fun with Rayman still.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
lol Torchlight.

Voted for Driver SF, as that's one of the games I really wanted. Of course, it won't win.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Honestly, how the hell does this stay so high on the top seller list?

uy6cd.png

Why aren't people at least waiting for a possible daily sale on it? If we don't get a sale on Arma II, it's only because idiots keep buying it at almost full price, and they realize they don't need to put it on sale.

I'll be upset/surprised if it doesn't hit at least 50% off.

You talking to me dude? idgaf about that post or that opinion and there entitled to it, and i dont care if somone wants to infer their opinion is correct,

But i do care when they State it is correct and a fact, but as you see that is the point were i abandon the argument as it's either a troll or someone who is full on Conceited.....

No frustration watsoever......... just my opinion up to the point were it becomes a internet tough guy convention

Mate you shouldn't worry about people stating opinion as fact. Every post here is an opinion and is generally 100% correct to the person posting it. You can take what they say as relevant or important or not.

I stand by what I think about JC2 and I find it useful when people express other counter opinions to the general group think. You will notice at the time there was a flood of "JC2 is awesome posts". Offering something different to give people pause is never a bad thing.

In the worst case, they will enter the game expecting a terrible experience outside what they can have with the sandbox. Unless you are going to stand up for JC2's characters, stories and missions, it is pretty accurate in my mind to state that these sandbox features are most likely the only limited fun they will have. If people go into it with that mindframe, and happen to find something they can spend 60 hours on, than that is great. But in a lot of cases, this is just not going to happen.

You might take that as attacking a game or providing an opinion just to be negative, but just going along with 'a game is awesome' can often do more harm to a game you like than good. I'll never be scared to throw it out there.

Honestly, how the hell does this stay so high on the top seller list?

uy6cd.png

Why aren't people at least waiting for a possible daily sale on it? If we don't get a sale on Arma II, it's only because idiots keep buying it at almost full price, and they realize they don't need to put it on sale.

I'll be upset/surprised if it doesn't hit at least 50% off.

I'm betting a late flash deal on Arma II, 70% off but not Operation Arrowhead or the combined two.

Babalu.

question: i want to get into the space 4x games so I was looking to get galactic civilization II or sins of the solar empire: Rebellion. Having never played a 4x game before, i'm not sure which one to play since both have good reviews.

But my question is, they have the stardock pack on sale right now which includes both games. Will that publisher pack have a chance to go on sale during this summer thing or are daily deals only for single games?

What i'm asking is if I should just buy the stardock publisher pack now, or wait to see if it goes on sale more?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It's a completely different game with a whole new set of mechanics that completely change the game from what driver has been before. It also has superb, actually funny writing and a nice story that never takes itself too seriously.

The idea of "pulling out" of your drivers conciousness and possesing any other car in the cty in real time is amazingly well pulled off. There are a lot of variations to the mechanic encouraged by different instances (possesing other cars on the opposite direction to crash your opponents, having to destroy a particular car by getting a heavy one and crashing it, having to race with many cars at once, trying to come out both first and second in a single race).

Each character you posses in one of the missions or side missions is a person with a different personality and in a different situation that has its own story, so you basically go around in many different tid bits of story from different character's perspectives wich generates the good writing I was talking about (the dialogues are fantastic), and in main story missions gives you a good perspective on what's going on with the story from different perspectives, not just your main character's.

It's great, great stuff and since day 1 it was pretty damn clear that it has barely anything to do with any other Driver game.

I get your point, I also hate every single Driver game (yes even the first one, hate me all you want) but this one blew me away. If you dont believe me just gather general opinion through reviews and whatnot, it was really succesfull critically, even if it didnt sold much.

what im saying is: I know you want Hot Pursuit, but if Driver wins: buy it.

Well, I have to say, I wasn't really expecting that description of the game. And, generally speaking, I trust your opinion. "Possessing" people sounds intriguing, and I like that it doesn't take itself seriously. That being said, Saints Row III has been scratching that itch for me, and I can really only handle so many open-world driving games at once.

That being said, I have a soft spot for San Francisco, especially since I was all set to move there after I got a job at reddit. And I'll probably still have to move there when I get better, so maybe this will would help me get to know the streets.

Laugh all you want, but open world games based on real world locations honestly help me get to know that city better, which is useful when I visit that city.

oipic

Voted for NFS:HP, so let that be a warning to those who want it - my votes have been a kiss of death so far. Sorry.

Firebrand

Hmm I wouldn't mind Hot Pursuit for $5.

Anything horrendous about the PC version or the game itself?
Game itself is Burnout. It's not precision racing exactly, it's about going fast and smashing into people. Still, can be fun in multi as long as you don't play with those jerks who figured out the best way to win as a racer is to gang up on cop cars one by one and destroy them. :p

As for the PC port, the game runs pretty terribly on two cores with frequent stutter, so if you have a bit of an older machine, keep that in mind. I also couldn't get the rain effects to appear, but those two issues are about it I think.

Dacvak

I'm betting a late flash deal on Arma II, 70% off but not Operation Arrowhead or the combined two.

Do you need that to play DayZ?

Better question: What all do you need to play DayZ? (Or what's recommended?)

Salsa

Laugh all you want, but open world games based on real world locations honestly help me get to know that city better, which is useful when I visit that city.

It's not very accurate but it has the key known locations.

Also, keep in mind that is not nearly as goofy as Saints Row The Third. Think more of a 80's buddy cop kinda thing, but set in the present. It's more of a thing where the game knows where to laugh at the premise considering how ridiculous it is (you'll see as soon as it starts), but it still gets there with a nice twist and all. It gives you an actual explanation as to how the "possessing people" thing works and they actually pull it off, heh.

Smash88

Banned
People taking these votes too seriously. It's just a bit of fun? You really think EA/Ubisoft gives a shit about some community vote? They're gonna use Origin and uplay whatever. And people will buy these games when they're a daily deal anyway. I think it was a missed opportunity to champion underdog games in the community votes instead of blockbusters like these.

Having fun with Rayman still.

motherfucking-game.png

biocat

Is u-play as bad as GFWL? 'Cause I can't vote for that.
If I had to pick the lesser of two evils it would be uplay. It doesn't seem to be quite as intrusive. Keep in mind though that some uplay games require a persistent Internet connection so make sure you do your research before buying.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Asked but didn't get an answer: Is there anything in GTA IV that isn't in Episodes besides the Nico story? Can I use mods with Episodes?

Usually, but some mods will only work in vanilla GTA IV. The mod author will usually indicate if there is a issue with running the mod in EFLC.

Hope this helps!

Played the first three missions of Saint´s Row: The Third.

Question: Does it get better than this? Sure, it´s batshit crazy, but it really isn´t any good since none of the weapons or vehicles has any kind of "feel".

And isn´t there a good way to take cover in the game in the gunfights?

I found the first few hours of Driver SF really frustrating, because I just can't get used to the driving model. There was a mission early on (leaping into the car of those two guys who're trying to join Jericho's gang) where I had to outrun the cops, and I just couldn't do it. The car they gave me sucked and the cops are crazy fast, and the only way to outrun them is to keep taking corners you hope they won't make and then pray a new cop car won't spawn too close to you when you're trying to run out the timer.

The cars you chase in cop missions turn too fast, the ones you chase in timed ones always go so fast that you don't have a lot of room for error. I just can't get into it. I'm usually pretty good at driving in vidjagames, but Driver SF is frustratingly hard for me.

Dacvak

It's not very accurate but it has the key known locations.

Also, keep in mind that is not nearly as goofy as Saints Row The Third. Think more of a 80's buddy cop kinda thing, but set in the present. It's more of a thing where the game knows where to laugh at the premise considering how ridiculous it is (you'll see as soon as it starts), but it still gets there with a nice twist and all. It gives you an actual explanation as to how the "possessing people" thing works and they actually pull it off, heh.

That's fair. I'll still be a bit upset if I don't get a good racing game during this sale, but I might as well give Driver a shot if that's what pops up. I "accidentally" added an additional $50 to my Steam wallet, so I've got to burn this money somehow.

KuroNeeko

Only problem I have with Torchlight winning is that pretty much everyone should've already bought it by now!

[SULK]Voted for Far Cry 2[SULK]

Question: Does it get better than this? Sure, it´s batshit crazy, but it really isn´t any good since none of the weapons or vehicles has any kind of "feel".

You're not even out of the tutorial missions, just keep going.

And no, there is no cover system.

Salsa

I found the first few hours of Driver SF really frustrating, because I just can't get used to the driving model. There was a mission early on (leaping into the car of those two guys who're trying to join Jericho's gang) where I had to outrun the cops, and I just couldn't do it. The car they gave me sucked and the cops are crazy fast, and the only way to outrun them is to keep taking corners you hope they won't make and then pray a new cop car won't spawn too close to you when you're trying to run out the timer.

The cars you chase in cop missions turn too fast, the ones you chase in timed ones always go so fast that you don't have a lot of room for error. I just can't get into it. I'm usually pretty good at driving in vidjagames, but Driver SF is frustratingly hard for me.

there are shops where you can get better cars to be used in these, not to mention that (with exceptions where for story reasons they limit you to a certain car) you can posses anyone with a faster vehicle

Koroviev

If I had to pick the lesser of two evils it would be uplay. It doesn't seem to be quite as intrusive. Keep in mind though that some uplay games require a persistent Internet connection so make sure you do your research before buying.
Well, I'm not going to buy anything with that sort of DRM, but if people want the game and don't mind dealing with the DRM, then I can add my vote.

Katoki

No cover. Upgrade later for more hp and what not. For now you just run as far and fast as you can out of line of fire and let it regenerate up after a certain amount of time. In the beginning, getting more than two to three stars is a real pain.

The story missions keep me entertained all the time, whereas the territory activities are a grind IMO.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
With my luck it's going to be fucking Test Drive Unlimited.

I just really wanna drive around SF, guyz.

Dacvak

Nothing in the vote interests me again. The person directly below me gets my vote.

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit.

That counts, doesn't it? I quoted you! =O

Smash88

Banned
Weren't the online servers for Hot Pursuit shut down?

On April 13, 2012, the following games will no longer have online services:

BOOM BLOX Bash Party for Wii

Burnout Revenge for Xbox 360

EA Create for PC, PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360

EA Sports Active 2.0 for PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360

EA Sports Active NFL Training Camp for Wii

FIFA 10 for PlayStation Portable and Wii

The Godfather II for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

MMA for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Need for Speed ProStreet for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

The Saboteur (loss of The Midnight Club access) for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Spare Parts for PlayStation 3 Xbox 360

Screw anyone who is concerned about how this vote turns out. If you don't already own both, you are doing something wrong. Vote TDU2 to punish the unworthy.

Smash88

Banned
Really badly. I have it maxed out based on what the game will allow though. Maybe I'll go in and force it since I have nothing better to do right now.

Can't you use ATI Catalyst or Nvidia's Control Panel, to force AA?

Well fuck, Bioshock and a vote of 3 racers, definitely wasn't worth it for me staying up until 3 am today like yesterday. :(

Which game is this?

Hot Pursuit.

What game is that?

Hot Pursuit.

dani_dc

Here's hoping for Hot Pursuit, missed it last time it was 66% off (September 2011), and since then it's only been 50% off. This would be the lowest price Hot Pursuit ever reached on Steam.

Driver on another hand was 75% off last month according to steamprices.

The choice is obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom