• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
On April 13, 2012, the following games will no longer have online services:

BOOM BLOX Bash Party for Wii

WTF NOOOO! I love Boom Blox Bash Party, and I actually used to download the community creations on that. Shit, that really sucks.

Salsa

Which Bioshock is better. 1 or 2? I rented the first one for xbox and am kinda interested in purchasing either one of them.

1 vastly

2 has Minerva's Den though wich is amazing (edit: piece of DLC in case you dont know, so you'd have to buy it outside of Steam and it'll cost you more)

Uthred

Which Bioshock is better. 1 or 2? I rented the first one for xbox and am kinda interested in purchasing either one of them.

1 by a very large margin, 2 is a tedious re-hash of the first game that lacks any of the originality or pace its a plodding boring mess of a game (female big daddy's were cool though and the ending was decent - but not worth playing the game for)

Get the first one. Bioshock 2 is a better game mechically, but Bioshock 1 has a better story and is one of those cornerstone game everybody should play.

I say this as somebody who like Bioshock 2 more then 1.

Nymerio

Does Driver have that ridiculous UBI DRM? I already voted for it because I already have NFS and I'm not interested in TDU...

question: i want to get into the space 4x games so I was looking to get galactic civilization II or sins of the solar empire: Rebellion. Having never played a 4x game before, i'm not sure which one to play since both have good reviews.

But my question is, they have the stardock pack on sale right now which includes both games. Will that publisher pack have a chance to go on sale during this summer thing or are daily deals only for single games?

What i'm asking is if I should just buy the stardock publisher pack now, or wait to see if it goes on sale more?

To throw a spanner into the works, I'd recommend Endless Space, although it's a turn-based 4x space strategy game whereas GalCivII and Sins are both RTS (I believe). Although it's not currently on sale, it's definitely a game to keep an eye out for. I don't have much experience with the 4x genre but I did pick up the beta version of Endless Space and sunk almost 40 hours into it. It's 30$, and well worth that price, but should it go on sale it's something I'd whole heartedly recommend.

Wanace

To throw a spanner into the works, I'd recommend Endless Space, although it's a turn-based 4x space strategy game whereas GalCivII and Sins are both RTS (I believe). Although it's not currently on sale, it's definitely a game to keep an eye out for. I don't have much experience with the 4x genre but I did pick up the beta version of Endless Space and sunk almost 40 hours into it. It's 30$, and well worth that price, but should it go on sale it's something I'd whole heartedly recommend.

Gal Civ II is definitely 4x space strategy. I actually prefer it to Endless Space (which feels a little too "slow" for me.) But both are great games. Didn't play Sins so can't comment on that. But I do hear it's less 4x and more RTS.

Ledsen

The Idle Thumbs guys love Far Cry 2. I never played it but they always talk about it. I'm surprised to hear all the hate. Is it just a big Idle Thumbs inside joke or something?
No, they just value different things than your average gafer, and I fully agree with them. They dont care about the small annoyances and instead focus on the many things that make the game unique and amazing.

ImRight

Mate you shouldn't worry about people stating opinion as fact. Every post here is an opinion and is generally 100% correct to the person posting it. You can take what they say as relevant or important or not.

I stand by what I think about JC2 and I find it useful when people express other counter opinions to the general group think. You will notice at the time there was a flood of "JC2 is awesome posts". Offering something different to give people pause is never a bad thing.

In the worst case, they will enter the game expecting a terrible experience outside what they can have with the sandbox. Unless you are going to stand up for JC2's characters, stories and missions, it is pretty accurate in my mind to state that these sandbox features are most likely the only limited fun they will have. If people go into it with that mindframe, and happen to find something they can spend 60 hours on, than that is great. But in a lot of cases, this is just not going to happen.

You might take that as attacking a game or providing an opinion just to be negative, but just going along with 'a game is awesome' can often do more harm to a game you like than good. I'll never be scared to throw it out there.

I'm betting a late flash deal on Arma II, 70% off but not Operation Arrowhead or the combined two.

Yeah duude thats fair enough u have a good point i have actually only played the game for like half an hour n that was like a year ago but the "This game is awsome" Feedback is obviously swayed to some degree by the fact the game was like under $5 buck's, and i actually like the fact your argument was providing a counter to that...... but i just didnt like the manor in which you emphasized that it was truth.... but im not gonna start up an argument again, if u would kindly go back and read the edit i made to that post it will explain alot....

(it was delayed by like 40 mins cause i just had an extremley humerous phone call from a Very Obvious indian phone scam which i felt the need to report to my local cop shop)

Disclaimer: I have not and will not Spell check this post...... it just wont happen

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I know this is pretty off-topic, but damn I've been enjoying playing some Train Simulator while posting on GAF. Such a calming, fun game. It's a bit like bird-watching, or something equally as boring. But still somehow interesting and fun.

Milamber

I know this is pretty off-topic, but damn I've been enjoying playing some Train Simulator while posting on GAF. Such a calming, fun game. It's a bit like bird-watching, or something equally as boring. But still somehow interesting and fun.
The Anno series of games draw me in like that to. Love making my trade routes optimized.

Dacvak

I know this is off topic but what the hell man. I should have downloaded more levels while I had the chance.

Tell me about it, dude. Maybe they're available online somewhere?

I'm pissed because there's nothing I could done about it, anyway. I wasn't able to connect my Wii to the internet for the last 7 months. Hmph. :(

Dacvak

question: i want to get into the space 4x games so I was looking to get galactic civilization II or sins of the solar empire: Rebellion. Having never played a 4x game before, i'm not sure which one to play since both have good reviews.

But my question is, they have the stardock pack on sale right now which includes both games. Will that publisher pack have a chance to go on sale during this summer thing or are daily deals only for single games?

What i'm asking is if I should just buy the stardock publisher pack now, or wait to see if it goes on sale more?
Wait for the Daily Deals or the last day.

That's fair. I'll still be a bit upset if I don't get a good racing game during this sale, but I might as well give Driver a shot if that's what pops up. I "accidentally" added an additional $50 to my Steam wallet, so I've got to burn this money somehow.
That was no accident. :p

The first one has a more intriguing story. 2 has better gameplay. Get the first 1.

ImRight

Hey guys i need an opinion, .... i find my lack of sleep disturbing and it is making my decisions Weak and weightless

heres the dilemma

Do i

A. Buy torchlight at this discount, Cause its super cheap and im pretty sure i will like it cause i love diablo, 2&3 why 3? Cause i have faith that Blizz will Fix it, (Unlike Dice and Bf3)

B. Pre-order Torchlight 2 cause it should be even better, and ill get TL1 with it, effectivly reducing the cost of it buy $3.74

C. Get the TL demo and make sure i will enjoy it and then proceed to choose from options A and B, or is it a given if i loved/love Diablo?

OR D. All of the above..... Why.... JUST CAUSE ;)

Smash88

Banned
I've never played Company of Heroes.

Does it hold up today and are the expansion packs worth it?

Get the Gold Edition. Tales of Valor is good, but not as the first two. Save Money, it holds up and is an amazing RTS. It rivals C&C and Starcraft easily.

Hey guys i need an opinion, .... i find my lack of sleep disturbing and it is making my decisions Weak and weightless

heres the dilemma

Do i

A. Buy torchlight at this discount, Cause its super cheap and im pretty sure i will like it cause i love diablo, 2&3 why 3? Cause i have faith that Blizz will Fix it, (Unlike Dice and Bf3)

B. Pre-order Torchlight 2 cause it should be even better, and ill get TL1 with it, effectivly reducing the cost of it buy $3.74

C. Get the TL demo and make sure i will enjoy it and then proceed to choose from options A and B, or is it a given if i loved/love Diablo?

B. Get Torchlight 1 to tide you over. Torchlight 2 is unique to Diablo in terms of mechanics. Other than the obvious looting. If you like Diablo, you'll most definitely like Torchlight.

Crayons

Banned
Tell me about it, dude. Maybe they're available online somewhere?

I'm pissed because there's nothing I could done about it, anyway. I wasn't able to connect my Wii to the internet for the last 7 months. Hmph. :(
There really should be laws about keeping servers up for a few years if they advertise online play. It's not fair EA! Don't think we can find levels anywhere unless they're stored in save files and uploaded somewhere. At least I have a good ten levels.

heres the dilemma

Do i

Option D. You know you want to. HAHAHAHAHA

Danj

The pack doesn't seem like it's good value for money right now. The One Rule says wait for the daily deals or flash sales, or if it's reached the last day of the sale and it hasn't been on either, you can buy it then.

Turnstyle

I broke the Steam Sales code.

Bought a game in the sales (Max Payne).

Finished the game in the sales.

Feels weird. It should have sat in my back log for months.

They should give you a badge for completing a game.

Torchlight. Yay or nay? Never played it before and $3.75 sounds like a good deal. However, I'm hearing people are just waiting for Torchlight 2 and pre-order it before release to get Torchlight for free. Basically due to money issues, I won't be able to pre-order T2 until August 30th so basically this is my only chance to get T1 at a decent price. Suggestions?

I broke the Steam Sales code.

Bought a game in the sales (Max Payne).

Finished the game in the sales.

Feels weird. It should have sat in my back log for months.

They should give you a badge for completing a game.

Depending on how you count it, by finishing Back to the Future, I beat one, five, or a half a game(s).

Smash88

Banned
Torchlight. Yay or nay? Never played it before and $3.75 sounds like a good deal. However, I'm hearing people are just waiting for Torchlight 2 and pre-order it before release to get Torchlight for free. Basically due to money issues, I won't be able to pre-order T2 until August 30th so basically this is my only chance to get T1 at a decent price. Suggestions?

It's a great diablo clone, with some interesting mechanics. If you want something different than diablo and where it does some things better, get it. It's single player only, so YMMV.

Bioshock 1 was amazing when it was released. The mystery behind the underwater city, the characters and the main story, not to mention the graphics blew my mind. I'd recommend you get both, as 2 continues the story with different characters, different viewpoints, and better gameplay.

Recommendation: Get both!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom