• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 3: Sale is over, use this thread for "Look wat i bot"

ImRight

TORCHLIGHT 1 DRAW, 5 MINUTE CALL OUT

STILL 28 SPOTS LEFT GUYS, GETTIN CLOSE TO DRAWING

GET UR PM"S IN FOR A CHANCE FIRST QUOTE FOR DETAILS

IN CASE ITS NOT CLEAR IF YOU ALREADY ENTERED FOR BIOSHOCK PREVIOUSLY THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE YOU IN THE TORCHLIGHT DRAW, YOU MUST PM ME AGAIN, PLEASE USE THE FORMAT I DISPLAYED IN THE POST FROM ABOVE QUOTE

Sorry to Repost/Spam, but a few people were confused, and didnt know if they had to enter again if they had already entered for Bioshock Before,

Yes you must Pm Me [In Title] "Torchlight" "#[Number from 1 to 50]"

5 MINUTE CALL

hitmon

Dont you DARE buy Conviction over Bioshock 2!!!!

sorry, i just have a deep, deep, DEEP, hatred for conviction

What did you no like about conviction? I must admit, I'm a bit tempted with Conviction's Co-op and leaning toward the Splinter Cell bundle.

Pretty happy with my haul:
The Binding of Isaac + DLC
Dear Esther
Botanicula
Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Krater
Terraria
Tiny & Big: Grandpa's Leftovers

Terraria is the only one I haven't liked, so I'm out a couple bucks I guess.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I found it pretty fun, sort of like a single player EVE. Your mileage may very, depending on your ability to make fun for yourself, as there is no storyline or such to follow.

Did you ever try Multiplayer?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Well I suppose now it's time to play the games I've bought!

...Fuck.

trinest

All right, going to do a small giveaway as a thank you to Steam GAF for being so awesome.
So here we go!
Giveaway Contest: Create your own Indie Bundle XII
CkX1h.png

New to the steam sale this year was the concept of steams own Indie Bundles. These were bundles of 5 games priced at 9.99$/€. However personally I found them lacklustre, often including games that I already owned or contained one or two interesting games coupled with some not-so-interesting games.(except for the awesome Indie Bundle V!) Thus I was inspired to create this contest, challenging gaf to create a better indie bundle than the ones we've seen on sale so far.

How to enter: Choose 5 games on steam that total up to 10 - 15 $/€ and take a screenshot of those 5 games in your cart, with the total cost visible. Please write impressions or reasons for why you think your indie bundle is the best.
Remember to quote the image. For example:

(You can probably find better games for your bundle.)
Check this thread for suggestions on good cheap indie games you can use to build your bundle. feel free to post your impressions and reccomendations for the bundle over there, too.

Winner: I will choose one winner based on how convincing they were in selling their indie bundle as the best.

Prize: The winner can choose one game under 5€ on steam. (Wish I could give more, trying to stay on budget.)

You don't need to quote this post, just mention Indie Bundle XII in your post.

Oh god that was hard to make an indie bundle with games for $15. Total should of been $15 - $20 heck even $25 (as most bundles = $25ish before discounted).

indiebundle.jpg

So I've picked:
Tobe's Vertical Adventure
Wizorb
The Dream Machine (Chapter 1 and 2)
Scary Girl
Cargo – The Quest for Gravity

I don't know how Indie Scary Girl is- but for the purpose of this it is indie dam it!

Tobes reminds me of Ice Climbers mixed with that Balloon game somehow, and at some point I think I might pick it up anyway just for that. Wizorb is one crazy game, its like if someone smashed breakout with an RPG and it works werid but works. Oh and its 2D spirites are amazing. Moving on The Dream Machine (only the first two chapters because of the cash restriction :( ) but those chapters are amazing in their own right. If someone went and got my bundle 100% having just those first chapters would be a sneaky marketing ploy to get them to buy more! Cause seriously that game is the best point and click I've played in resent years. Moving on Scary Girl looks awesome and has some crazy story attached, like I said not sure how indie it is, but I want it, so you want it. And to finish off Cargo, because for quite some time I was hyped for the game, and those creepy humenoids are mmm.

Cheddahz

Banned
Indie Bundle XII

Capture-1.png

Why did I choose these games? The reason is because all of these games are inspired by NES and SNES style games that use very simple, but yet addicting gameplay and are loved by all (well expect for Project Freedom, but indie bundles always have that crap game in them)

Fireblend

Banned
Summer Sale Indie Bundle XII Contest: Fireblend's Entry

So, here's my entry for The Wizard's brilliant contest; I tried using only "hidden gems" and personal favorites, avoiding games everyone knows (Bastion, Audiosurf, World of Goo, Cave Story...) as well as those that have shown up on HIBs and the like, keeping a low price and offering a wide variety of genres. I'm pretty satisfied with the result:

ik2jF.png

Sequence: Starting with an oddball, sequence is a quirky (some might argue that it's a bit too quirky) rhythm/fantasy/err... RPG-ish? game. You'll find yourself in something that looks like a dungeon crawler, casting spells, defending from attacks and doing some yourself... with rhythm-based mechanics. These are amazingly solid and the game's strongest point, with the visuals and the music being about good enough to keep you entertained.

Rush: Wait... this one is $1.69?!?! Buy this. Now! If you've ever been a fan of puzzle games (and in particular of Chu Chu Rocket!), this is an absolute hair-pulling must buy. If you're familiar with Chu Chu Rocket, then this is it. In 3D environments. If I haven't blown your mind yet then it's because you have no idea what I'm talking about, as a self-respecting CCR fan should have stopped reading about 10 seconds ago and bought it. Basically, you use tiles which you can place on the ground to guide moving cubes into portals, while preventing them from falling off the stage and suffering other similar fates. Sounds easy? Hah. The visuals are great, the controls are great (which are mostly camera-related; trust me, you'll need them) and the music's pretty solid. Good amount of levels, as well, and some of the later ones can get extremely difficult.

Waves: It might just be me, but I'm an absolute fan of twin-stick shooters. With that said, until 2 days ago I didn't own one single game of the genre on Steam, and I'm glad to say I have fixed that mistake in the most awesome way possible and that's by buying Waves. Just check out the video on its store page and tell me you're not compelled to buy it with a straight face. Awesome visuals, addictive gameplay mechanics (you can slow down time?! holy shit), perfect music and a difficulty level made to take you from beginner to hard-core all-nighter twinstick shooting raging player. I've been playing this with an old PS2 controller connected to my PC through a USB adapter, and it's finally helped me make up my mind and just go ahead and get a 360 pad.

PixelJunk Eden: This one needs no introduction. Although it's not a rhythm game per-se, the musical effort that's gone into this game really makes it shine, and the weird swinging mechanics (which might take some time to get used to) along with the weird high-contrast visuals makes this a game worth checking out. At first you might get the feeling that it's a sort of empty mechanics game, with no other purpose other than collecting shiny stuff in each stage, which you'll soon be glad to find is a pretty erroneous perception.

Anomaly: Warzone Earth: Anomaly was featured already in the Indie Bundle I, but I think it's easily among the best games featured throughout the whole sale. It's a take on the strategy/tower defense genre unlike any other, with amazing visuals (I was first introduced to this game through it's Android version which already looked fantastic, but on the PC the game's visuals are easily breathtaking), balanced gameplay, great level/mechanics progression, a cliche'd but nonetheless effective story and decent music. Definitely one of the games I've enjoyed the most in the past few months, and one I've gifted several times to friends who now have joined me in enjoying the awesomeness that is this game. Do check it out.

Once again, thanks to The Wizard for running the contest!

legacyzero

Banned
What did you no like about conviction? I must admit, I'm a bit tempted with Conviction's Co-op and leaning toward the Splinter Cell bundle.
I'm a core Splinter Cell freak. The reason I dont like Conviction, is because it tried so hard to go mainstream, that it abandoned it's core fanbase. Removing complex gameplay, the best multiplayer mode in gaming, and streamlining the fuck out of it pissed off A LOT of the series followers.

That said, Conviction is a good game for what it is, I even own it. But will always protest Ubisoft's decision to screw it up the way they did.

And yes, the Co-op is excellent. The Splinter Cell bundle would be a good deal, as well.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Jul 22, 2012

$11.24Purchase
Operation Flashpoint: Red River

Jul 21, 2012

$11.23Purchase
Oblivion Game of the Year Deluxe, Morrowind Game of the Year

Jul 20, 2012

$3.99Purchase
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box

Jul 20, 2012$3.74Purchase
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet

$2.49Purchase
Splintercell: Chaos Theory

$2.49Purchase
Botanicula

Jul 18, 2012

$6.74Purchase
Thief Bundle 2012

$0.48Purchase
Just Cause 2 DLC - Agency Hovercraft, Just Cause 2 DLC - Monster Truck

Jul 17, 2012

$2.49Purchase
Shoot Many Robots

$7.49Purchase
Dungeon Siege I, II, III with Treasures of the Sun DLC

Jul 16, 2012

$2.49Purchase
Dear Esther

$9.99Purchase
Fallout New Vegas Ultimate

Jul 15, 2012

$3.74Purchase
Vessel

$3.74Purchase
Qube

Jul 14, 2012

$4.99Purchase
Tribes: Ascend - Steam Starter Pack

$2.49Purchase
Star Wars: KOTOR

$2.49Purchase
Choplifter HD

$2.49Purchase
Plants vs. Zombies

$0.74Purchase
Binding of Isaac Wrath of the Lamb

FreePurchase
HOARD Sandwich Comp

FreePurchase
HOARD: Dynamite Roll

FreePurchase
HOARD - Retail

$1.24Purchase
Hydrophobia: Prophecy

Jul 13, 2012

$3.74Purchase
Alan Wake American Nightmare

$2.49Purchase
Toy Soldiers

$2.49Purchase
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2

$1.25Purchase
Garshasp The Monster Slayer

Jul 12, 2012

$5.74Purchase
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes, PixelJunk Eden

$11.99Purchase
Ys Origin

128.14 spent

Ciastek3214

What do you find revolting about Final Fantasy that you hope to not find in The Last Remnant?

I'll just say a few things anyways. Story is typical throwaway stuff, the main character knows nothing but eventually realizes his importance and saves the world and such. The battles and party management on the other hand are nothing like FF. You have a large pool of characters to choose from that form the into unions and you control them through general commands in battle. For instance, you give a general heal or attack with physical/magic but it's up to the AI to decide how. On the PC I believe you can customize which skills you allow the AI to use. You do not gain levels, you gain battle rank which as it raises, it'll determine stat bonuses based on how difficult the enemies you've fought at the time were. Many sidequests, enemies can be seen on the map and a good number can be avoided, terrific soundtrack.
Well, I don't like FF because most of the time story and characters suck. I'm good with the basic "fight evil, save the world" as long as it doesn't get in the way too much and the characters are decent. I like the idea of the combat system.

Has my account been blocked?
I made 10 gift purchases in a row and now I get this when I try to buy another:

"There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."

WTF?
If I contact support I'll only get a reply in like 2 days minimum. I know them...

Babalu.

Question: i've never played the bioshocks before but I was thinking of picking them up. Right now they are not a daily deal and are $5 each. Were they ever cheaper when they were the daily deal? How much?

I ask because I probably won't play them so I can wait until the winter sale. Even though the money is nothing, i'm in no hurry and if they are cheaper i'll just wait.

xJavonta

Banned
Humble Bundle XII Contest

What more do I have to say? You have something for everyone in this bundle.

Dungeons of Dredmor is a fantastic game with unbelieveable replay value, it'll have you crawling through dungeons for hours on end. And with the Steam Workshop now integrated into the game, you'll never stop getting new content.

Jamestown is a shump. Plain and simple. But this shump isn't like the shumps of today. It really resembles those shumps from the previous generations that we all know and love. Grab a couple of gamepads and a friend and enjoy Jamestown in all of it's pixelated glory.

VVVVVV is one of those games that will make you break your keyboard. That's not a bad thing though, since the masochistic nature of the game will make you feel satisfied when you finally accomplish your goal.

Terraria is a game that can't be explained that well in words. You have to play it to experience the magic for yourself. It's a game that's better with friends, but still holds it own if you're alone. Randomly generated goodness packed in with a ton of great loot and building mechanics, you'll want to set everything aside for an afternoon and play the hell out of this game.

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP is a point n click game, but the sense of exploration in it is greater than that of many other point n click games. The rich colors and beautifully pixelized atmosphere combined with the retro chiptune soundtrack and homages to your favorite games from your childhood will make anyone smile.

MadeWell

Heres my entry:
loj2S.png

The Double Fine Combo includes 3 distinct games

Psychonauts lets you platform your wayy through the minds of crazy creatures

Costume Quest lets you trick or treat in its humor filled streets

Stacking lets you disguise or stack yourself into several forms to solve puzzles

Legend of Grimrock is an old school dungeon crawler that invokes dungeon master. (I can feel the grid paper just looking at it)

Sequence is made by that gaffer that was on Wipeout and combines genres to create an unique experience.

"Oh god SteveWinwood! Oh god oh god oh god yea yea yea YEAH YEAH YEAH YOU WRITE THAT SHIT YOU WRITE THAT SHIT HARD"

"No Speedwriting, you say. Anything else you object to?" he asks softly.

I swallow.

"Hardcore erotica doesn't exactly float my boat."

"I'll agree to the speedwriting, but I'd really like to claim your hardcore erotica , SteveWinwood. But we'll wait for that. Besides, it's not something we can dive into," he smirks at me. "Your writing will need training."

Wilsongt

Well, I cracked and got Ys Origins, Legend of Grimrock, and Dungeons of Dreadmore. That brings my total spending to... something along the lines of $25. Ys Origin was the most expensive.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Some serious hoarding going on in this thread.

I picked up Max Payne 3, Torchlight, and Trine 2. Will play between now and when holiday games start releasing (sept?).

Giveaway Contest: Create your own Indie Bundle XII ENTRY
iEPZq6RnZwCKB.PNG

Tobe - Hard as nails platformer, yes please!

Cargo - Game is really over the top and confusing. Awesome!

SPAZ - It seems really cool and I don't have it, so there! :p

Terraria - Addicting as all hell and fun with friends.

Wizorb - Very cool game. Breakout with magic and RPG elements.

theytookourjobz

Question: i've never played the bioshocks before but I was thinking of picking them up. Right now they are not a daily deal and are $5 each. Were they ever cheaper when they were the daily deal? How much?

I ask because I probably won't play them so I can wait until the winter sale. Even though the money is nothing, i'm in no hurry and if they are cheaper i'll just wait.

I think they made it down to 7.50 for the pair. I think both are great games but you said you won't play them, so I guess don't buy em.

gabbo

Indie Bundle Xii

The Double Fine Bundle has an adventure-RPG, an action platformer, and whatever Stacking falls under. I love Ice-pick lodge for their surreal and philosophical take on any genre they touch, and Cargo's 'collect the fun' to save the world seems like a good counter point to the silly humour of DFs games (it's Russian, a good match for Stacking with it's Russian nesting dolls imo). Space Pirates and Zombies has three awesome character types, and rounds out the deal with a hybrid of genres all mixed into one game. With the various genres represented, it's unlikely I or anyone would get bored easily with such a varied pack of games.

Also, since their all indie titles, no money is going to evil corporations like EA or Actard.
And with the $2.50 left over you can buy yourself a similarly priced title or perhaps a chocolate bar. Either way we both win.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Has my account been blocked?
I made 10 gift purchases in a row and now I get this when I try to buy another:

"There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."

WTF?
If I contact support I'll only get a reply in like 2 days minimum. I know them...

I got that yesterday and it was okay an hour or two later.

Just wanna know if there's an active competition/ contest going on right now, I just dropped in.

I have a contest cued up, but I don't want to barge in on someone else's game if it's really active right now, yeah? no?

Tobe

fMiEi.png

not much, since i already had everything already. ill wait winter sale to buy some other games that could have been lower this sale.

total damage: $68.19

If you don't have time right now then yes, I'd wait until Winter Sale. Both are great games and taking your time to enjoy the story and gameplay is the best way to experience them.

Lexxon

I've heard a lot of mixed things about Quantum Conundrum...

Think it's worth $12 for the season pass? I loved Portal 2, story and puzzles...so more of that seems right up my alley.

ImRight

THE DRAW IS OVER, WE HAVE 2 LUCKY TORCHLIGHT 1 WINNERS!

AND THE PRIZE'S GO TO TO

1. With a Very LUCKY #1 Position Kwixotik

2. With a Lucky Number Proving to be Just as LUCKY! AnnHog

winneres.jpg

Please PM me With you Steam ID's, And Ill Get those Games to you A.S.A.P

And for Anyone Who Doesn't Have, AND wants a copy of BASTION, i will have 2 copies up For Grabs, VERY SOON, Just Need a Coffee and A bite to Eat.

PLEASE NO PM'S FOR BASTION UNTILL I POST THE COMPETITION, THESE WILL NOT BE ENTERED INTO THE DRAW

Top Bottom