• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 3: Sale is over, use this thread for "Look wat i bot"

Wok

Can't decipher all of it but I'm pretty sure I got half the first one right!

N5I4I.png

You incorrectly decyphered the first word. It reads Potatwo. No idea what it means.

Did i go overboard? cause my wallet's kinda sore... >.< But everytime i saw -%75 i was like.... DAT PRICE

GIANT LIST

~$300 :-/ ohhh the shame ....... Sry to repost but i hit the 3rd last post didnt think anyone would see it Just wanna see if anyone else did this, or if it was like a First time steam sale reaction :D

Holy shit dude, hope you have a few thousand hours to spare.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

DirtRiver

Phew, Steam Sale is over and I got most of my wishlist out of it.

Here's my haul:
- From Dust
- Frozen Synapse (got a hold of the pricing mistake)
- Fallout 3 GOTY
- Dark Messiah Might and Magic (already finished it)
- Toy Soldiers
- Trine 2
- Saints Row 3 (runs like shit in my laptop and lowering the settings doesn't affect framerate which is weird)
- Splinter Cell Conviction (shitty Uplay DRM is messing up with my saves for some reason)
- Pixeljunk Eden (leftover Steam money)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I got Red River. It's the most expensive thing I've bought in the sale but I've been waiting for this one. The campaign co op is really fun.

Speevy

Banned
Yeah, well, they should get jobs they're actually good at, then.

I'm sure the team that made Hydrophobia didn't set out to create a bad game.

Some of the best games of all time were created by studios that had a weak first (or second, or third) effort.

The point is that saying a game sucks is one thing. We're consumers, and that is what we do. But wishing unemployment on a group of people because they produced something which garnered unfavorable criticism?

Who knows what these guys would have produced if they were given another chance? Maybe Hydrophobia was the learning experience they needed to really focus and create something outstanding.

But we'll never know. They're gone. Their employees are scattered. Maybe several of them quit the industry altogether. Their culture, their ideas, whatever talent could have been harnessed for the greater good of some future game, unfulfilled.

But that's okay. Because you don't like their game.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Yoshi, you realize no one will take your suggestion seriously until they see that you own Portal 2, one of the greatest games ever created. You're only hurting yourself!

feel

We need a total damage thread after the sale is over, then somehow calculate the total amount of $$$ spent. Will be terrifying numbers.
I like it. Would be fucking awesome if everyone posted their total damage in the end and someone did the math to have a rough idea of the total gaf damage.

hmm double fine...

I tried that Stacking demo once but i really didn't dig it, am i missing something here and this is really a hidden gem or is the demo representative of the actual full game? for the record, i really liked Costume Quest and Psychonauts but this one err...

LuffyZoro

Any reason why? You're the first (that I've seen anyways) to say that.

Here are some GAF impressions:

Someone who wants to reserve the right hand side of the keyboard for a second player.

It may be madness, but there is method in it.

One thing was niggling me in my attempts yesterday: The fact that when playing for score, everything *prior* to opening the big chest is just busywork, you collect everything you can get with no incentive to perform particularly well while collecting it all. The only point where overall performance is measured is the escape sequence in the form of a time. That does serve to make pushing for score a little annoying, since you have to spend a minute or two just setting things up with no incentive to excel at that. Being able to save at the chest and retry from there to improve would make the score runs significantly more effective.

It's even more annoying if you screw up the chest unlock after doing all that, because at that exact moment you know if you're competing for a realistic high score or not.

And his 'press J to confirm'. Who the fuck uses J?

I played it, but I'm not going to again. That was just unfun and hard to control.

Tried the Tobe demo. Yes, it does have the contest level in it.

And now, a related haiku for Contest 11:

All I can say is,
Thank God the demo exists;
This shit is awful.

Add myself to the list of those who thinks there's *something* off with using a controller with it. Can't quite put my finger on what. The latency?

Too bad, I had some issues on the keyboard actually. They layout did not suit me. Need to check whether I can change that.
But ah well, dont think people will burn me over a 1$ purchase. And I think its still a rather cute game.

It feels like it takes too long to climb up ledges. There were also a few times where the game wouldn't let me throw a rope up at a spot I did before. It would taken dozens of presses to work. Also, on the Xbox controller X is confirm and A is back. There is no way of changing it; it's like I'm playing MGS1-3.

Hoplatee

We should all not buy Bastion. Just to see how far Yoshi will go to make us buy it.

Don't worry, I already have it!

ImRight

Holy shit dude, hope you have a few thousand hours to spare.

Ahaha i kinda thought i may have gone a Little OTT, But hey i just got a Good pc for the first time in ~5 years,... And neva seen a steam sale before

So to see the sale prices was like :O, I....dont..Even

hmm double fine...

I tried that Stacking demo once but i really didn't dig it, am i missing something here and this is really a hidden gem or is the demo representative of the actual full game? for the record, i really liked Costume Quest and Psychonauts but this one err...

I'll be buying that bundle just for Psychonauts lol.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
We should all not buy Bastion. Just to see how far Yoshi will go to make us buy it.

Don't worry, I already have it!

That's a scary thought. He'd probably video himself snipping a ball, or something. "BUY IT NOW OR THE OTHER ONE GOES, TOO."

Roto13

I'm sure the team that made Hydrophobia didn't set out to create a bad game.

Some of the best games of all time were created by studios that had a weak first (or second, or third) effort.

The point is that saying a game sucks is one thing. We're consumers, and that is what we do. But wishing unemployment on a group of people because they produced something which garnered unfavorable criticism?

Who knows what these guys would have produced if they were given another chance? Maybe Hydrophobia was the learning experience they needed to really focus and create something outstanding.

But we'll never know. They're gone. Their employees are scattered. Maybe several of them quit the industry altogether. Their culture, their ideas, whatever talent could have been harnessed for the greater good of some future game, unfulfilled.

But that's okay. Because you don't like their game.

Or maybe they were just a shitty team and I don't give a crap about them and neither should anyone else. That's also a possibility.

It's not like Hydrophobia was just lackluster. It was actively bad. It was a terrible, terrible game. I played it. It was shit. Basically everyone who played it agrees.

Lots of teams that make actual good games end up going under. Don't waste your pity on teams that make crap games.

tw1164

Well, I think I'm all done.

Tobe's Vertical Adventure $1.24
Wizorb $1.79
Time Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There, Dan That! Special Edition Double Pack $1.00
Ys The Oath in Felghana $5.09
Capsized $3.39
Biding of Isaac Wrath of the Lamb $0.74
Hydrophobia: Prophecy   $1.24
Star Wars: KOTOR $2.49
Hitman Collection $6.24
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition   $7.49
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet   $3.74
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box $3.99
Stacking $3.79

My total is $42.23

Dacvak

Wow, I've never seen such a reply-to-view ratio.
jP0rB.png

That's incredible.

Danj

I could've sworn I voted every day. Now I'm just left with some planks of wood. :(

Is the Vote Everyday Badge registering? I just voted and could've sworn I've submitted a vote everyday.

edit: damn

Your last vote has to have been after the daily deals went up because that's the time for a new "day". So if you didn't get it yet you should have a chance in about four and a half hours.

Benedict

It all started on July 12th:
Aha! another Steam Sale eh?!
I won't be needing any new games I tell you.

ooooohhhhh! Look Sega Genesis Pack 5 with Phantasy Star 2-4 and there is a DLC for Binding of Isaac, they won't go any lower and I wanted that. CLICK.

My final (???) haul:

Steam Summer Sale 2012 Price

Sega Mega Drive Classics 5 - Complete 4.5 €
Binding of Isaac Wrath of the Lamb 1.49 €
PixelJunk Eden 1.8 €
Worms Reloaded - GOTY Upgrade 1.49 €
The Bard's Tale 2.24 €
Alan Wake Bundle (Summer 2012) 8.99 €
Red Faction Guerrilla 2.49 €
Dear Esther 1.99 €
Summer Sale Indie Bundle Day Five 9.99 €
Mirror's Edge 2.49 €
Pendulo Adventure Pack 14.99 €
Dungeon Defenders Lost Eternia Shards Complete DLC 2.99 €
Just Cause 2 + DLC 7.17 €
Grand Theft Auto III Trilogy 6.24 €
Commandos 3 - Destination Berlin 1.24 €
Saints Row: The Third - Season Pass DLC Pack 3.49 €
Saints Row: The Third 7.49 €
Sins of A Solar Empire: Trinity 3.74 €
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 4.99 € Gifted to friend
Arma II: Combined Operations Gifted from friend
The Longest Journey 2.49 €
Krater 6.99 €
Galactic Civilizations II 3.74 €
Botanicula 2.24 €
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction - Deluxe Edition 4.99 €
Limbo 2.49 €
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet 3.49 €
Dungeon Defenders - New Heroes DLC 0.99 €
Dungeon Defenders Barbarian Hero DLC 0.74 €
Arx Fatalis 1.99 €
Trino 1.12 €
Meridian4 Collection 22.99 €
Dynamite Jack 2.99 €
Offspring Fling! 2.39 €
Noitu Love 2 Devolution 2.49 €

Sum: 151.94 €

The Last Remnant $5.2 Greenmangaming
Pint Sized Paradox Package [Download] $7.49 amazon.com
Plentiful Paradox Package [Download] $12.49 Amazon.com

Sum: $25.18

Total Sum 172.6531 € $209.887 1457.245 SEK

Lesson learned: Never do a spreadsheet of your purchases of a Steam Sale to see what the total sum is...

Tellaerin

Reply from other thread...

Recap days were always a gamble, there's still plenty of incentive to follow the daily deals. I think the complaints against flash sales are plenty valid. And, besides, what's the point of having a game up as a flash sale twice when it was also up as a community choice and a daily deal? It kills incentive for people to buy it the first three times and encourages them to hold off until the fourth time it's up.

Except that they don't know there's necessarily going to be a fourth time. That's the incentive. You don't know if/when it's going to be that cheap again. So whenever you see something you want appear as a flash sale, that's when you grab it, rather than waiting. :D And having the same things come up a few times means that people who missed them (because they were out or asleep or what have you) get another shot.

That said, I wouldn't have minded seeing the flash sales mix things up a little more, though I can't say I've been unhappy with them either. (There are a couple of things I wouldn't mind seeing pop up again before it's over.)

Katoki

What a long, strange trip it's been, filled with lots of colors in boxes with numbers. I'm almost sad that it's going to be over soon.

I wanted to avoid buys driven by "just because it looks interesting and cheap", yet here I am with Larva Mortus, Post Mortem, and Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood downloading as I type. ;/

Derrick01

Banned
Congrats to those who made it through their 1st steam sale.

Be thankful that it was this one and not the others. You haven't learned about temptation when you don't have 50 shit games with daily challenges staring you in the face, your mind telling you that "this achievement will finally be the one that gives me my entire wishlist for free or the entire steam catalog" or "this present will be the one that gives me some huge game like Skyrim for free!".

Top Bottom