• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 3: Sale is over, use this thread for "Look wat i bot"

I'm not going to tally the cost (for my health), but here's what I picked up:

steam_summer2012.png

Kind thanks to the GAFers who gifted me Borderlands, Torchlight, and...Garshasp (not pictured) <_<

I also gifted a few copies of PixelJunk Eden. All in all, an unexpectedly good sale!

Not bad at all.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Just tried out Rage. Man this game is really underrated. Didn't care for Doom3, but Rage is a damned nice little game. Disappointed that it was such a flop. Seems really next-genny. I tweaked it a bit to reduce texture pop, and it looks pretty good. Muddy, but good.

Rage2 with higher res megatexturing, and that could be gorgeous. I thought Carmack missed with this engine, but on playing it? Lots of potential in idtech5.

Okay, no more entries! And I have no idea how I'm going to get through these entries. Seriously, linking an hour long video? Do you guys ever want to actually get a prize out of this!?

So I'll do things this way. The prize on this is getting a short delay while I attempt to skim and make a decision on which one gets to be the winner. In the meantime I'll do a MUCH simpler contest for me to deal with. So, let's go with a second one.

Contest #2

This time the prize is for Wizorb by Tribute Games. Another game I'm giving away without owning but I decided it's the one, so here you go.

Oh, and I'll give out two this time because it's a bit cheaper.

The Rules

1) One entry per person

2) Twenty minutes for entries following this post.

3) If you entered the previous contest that I'm going over feel free to enter this one. I won't let you win both but I may give you first pick which of the two interests you more.

The Challenge

This was something I had planned before the last contest yet is almost exactly like one of the links provided. Do the following:

Write a sentence/story using words that begin with each of the letters in my username. I mean to say the first word starts with W, the second with I, the third with B, etc. You can shorten it to WIBBLE for six words or WIBBLEWOZZER for twelve words but deal with Zs. I leave that up to you.

There is no set topic or theme.

I gave games away last night so don't fear, I'm not giving up on the first contest, just give me...some time. Ugh.

Add me on Steam if you please. ID is Wibblewozzer.

While I become Battle Lord evade War Order, Zombie Zoo Ergo Revenge.

No more discounts, no more competitions, give aways, making gifs, playing steam hunt games or staying up late to vote.

capture0ejyr.png

You are all dead to me now.

See you in the steam thread.

I'll bite, here's a pretty good essay:
http://www.maa.org/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf (Warning: PDF)

WINNER of first contest

Okay, so I was given at least a couple hours worth of reading/videos to get through so I had to skim and sort of just decide on this one. This was pretty tough and there were a particular two that appealed to my interests in particular: Urban Exploration and the winner about the school system and mathematics. After singling it down to those two I tried to spend an adequate amount of time of skimming and reading sections and came to my choice for a winner.

To single a few more out, though...

Neil Gaiman video was a great link as he's a favorite author of mine. Curious if you happened to Google my username and found that mentioned through social networking sites.

I read the original Wired piece on six-word stories. Had forgotten about it and was nice to see again and now with web-exclusive entries. Awesome.

The Deus Ex article is neat. Sorry, best I can say but will spend the time to read through all of it.

Gosh, I'm not going to go through all of the rest individually but I'm bookmarking each to make sure I go through them eventually. Loved the varied entries, just wish I had more time to spend on reading before having to pick a winner.

Congrats again to Fireblend. Will PM you following this.

Cth

I'm getting a sleeping bag and pulling it up next to my pc. I can use it as a pillow at least
...just .. rest... my eyes...

Laying in bed here trying to to wake the wife.. Switched the theme to dark :D

I was going to make a wibble acronym to imitate me falling asleep but realized half awake that wonked out isnt zonked out so I could do the zzz...zzz.. Thing :D

inky

This was mine. (Thanks for Bulletstorm Xelios, and Tony from Amazon for a couple of those).

go77v.png

I'm guessing it was about <$50 in total. Paid for by a single Diablo 3 item too, lol.

gabbo

Laying in bed here trying to to wake the wife.. Switched the theme to dark :D

I was going to make a wibble acronym to imitate me falling asleep but realized half awake that wonked out isnt zonked out so I could do the zzz...zzz.. Thing :D

trying to wake the wife... for a GAF competition? Hope your couch is comfy/you have a good lawyer

WINNER of first contest

Okay, so I was given at least a couple hours worth of reading/videos to get through so I had to skim and sort of just decide on this one. This was pretty tough and there were a particular two that appealed to my interests in particular: Urban Exploration and the winner about the school system and mathematics. After singling it down to those two I tried to spend an adequate amount of time of skimming and reading sections and came to my choice for a winner.

To single a few more out, though...

Neil Gaiman video was a great link as he's a favorite author of mine. Curious if you happened to Google my username and found that mentioned through social networking sites.

I read the original Wired piece on six-word stories. Had forgotten about it and was nice to see again and now with web-exclusive entries. Awesome.

The Deus Ex article is neat. Sorry, best I can say but will spend the time to read through all of it.

Gosh, I'm not going to go through all of the rest individually but I'm bookmarking each to make sure I go through them eventually. Loved the varied entries, just wish I had more time to spend on reading before having to pick a winner.

Congrats again to Fireblend. Will PM you following this.

Thank you for the contest bro!

Okay, no more entries! And I have no idea how I'm going to get through these entries. Seriously, linking an hour long video? Do you guys ever want to actually get a prize out of this!?

So I'll do things this way. The prize on this is getting a short delay while I attempt to skim and make a decision on which one gets to be the winner. In the meantime I'll do a MUCH simpler contest for me to deal with. So, let's go with a second one.

Contest #2

This time the prize is for Wizorb by Tribute Games. Another game I'm giving away without owning but I decided it's the one, so here you go.

The Rules

1) One entry per person

3) If you entered the previous contest that I'm going over feel free to enter this one. I won't let you win both but I may give you first pick which of the two interests you more.

The Challenge

This was something I had planned before the last contest yet is almost exactly like one of the links provided. Do the following:

Write a sentence/story using words that begin with each of the letters in my username. I mean to say the first word starts with W, the second with I, the third with B, etc. You can shorten it to WIBBLE for six words or WIBBLEWOZZER for twelve words but deal with Zs. I leave that up to you.

I gave games away last night so don't fear, I'm not giving up on the first contest, just give me...some time. Ugh.

Hmm, this seems tricky. Alright, let's try something like this:

Whenever I buy beautiful little eccentricities, winds over zestful zeniths electrically roar.

xDEKOIx

I can't decide. Only got 7.60 left. Should I buy Blood Money or Max Payne 1 & 2 and a cheap 2 dollar game? The thing is I played the shit out of the Max Payne series. A lot more than Hitman. And i absolutely love both franchises.

Help me decide GAF. Opinions?

PM'd you a possible trade opportunity :]

€72,95. Initially, I wanted to spend around 40 euros, then things got out of hand. Pretty happy with everything I bought, I tried to grab only what I actually wanted.

Without these sales, I'd have spent around €213. Thank Gaben for devaluing IPs.

And also made a couple of gifts. They actually make you feel better, people should try doing it more often. :D

Koroviev

€72,95. Initially, I wanted to spend around 40 euros, then things got out of hand. Pretty happy with everything I bought, I tried to grab only what I actually wanted.

Without these sales, I'd have spent around €213. Thank Gaben for devaluing IPs.

And also made a couple of gifts. They actually make you feel better, people should try doing it more often. :D

Yeah, I'm definitely going to be sending out gifts during the next sale!

Why is Billy blasting little enemies with only zero zones emptied, Roger?

Why Is Ben's brain leaking Evil

Well, I believe balloons look evil.

WINNERS of second contest

Alright, said there'd be two winners but I picked three. Gabbo got my favorite pick for the people that attempted the full name because the two Zs are killer. The other two were my other favorites and made me laugh when I read both.

So yeah, three copies are going out. Was planning on doing three contests tonight but this is later than I wanted it to be and really I should stop spending money. Sooo...three winners and I'm done.

Thanks for amusing me, those that entered. Sorry for the delays in giving out the prizes!

I should probably finish buying myself my own games on Steam, now!

dafuq? I'm only missing the join the steam summer sale group, and I just don't get it.. I joined the group some days ago, I even joined the chat but I still haven't got the badge :\

If possible, I could probably do more gifting than self buying since I think I have most of what I would want. Can't make promises though.

Ledsen

Contest #2

The Rules

1) One entry per person

The Challenge

While I brought bad luck everyday, winds of zany zealotry evoked rage.

zkylon

zkylewd
Wow that Saints Row collection thing is awesome value. Too bad I bought the DLC on its own instead or I would have an extra main game to give to GAF :/ (I want co-op buddies)

MrFortyFive

Glad to be done with the sale. It was quite a haul.

Space Pirates and Zombies(SPAZ)
Secret of the Magic Crystals
Bulletstorm
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Capsized
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction
Beyond Good and Evil
Krater
E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy
The Longest Journey + Dreamfall
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition
SimCity 4 Deluxe
Dead Space
Thief Bundle 2012
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
Bioshock
The Last Remnant
Stacking
Duke Nukem Forever
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Costume Quest
Dungeon Siege I, II, III with Treasures of the Sun DLC
Crysis Maximum Edition Bundle
Mirror's Edge
Dear Esther
Age of Empires III: Complete Collection
Fable III Collection
FEAR Complete Pack (ROW)
RAGE
Fallout New Vegas Ultimate
Fallout 3 - Game of the Year
Red Faction Guerrilla
Dead Space 2
Prince of Persia
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands
Serious Sam 3 BFE
Saints Row: The Third - Season Pass DLC Pack
Killing Floor
Painkiller Recurring Evil
L.A. Noire
Batman Arkham City: Harley Quinn
Batman Arkham City
Civilization V
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
The Witcher 2
Dead Island (NA)
Tropico 4
Orcs Must Die + Artifacts of Power and Lost Adventures
Two Worlds II
Star Wars: KOTOR
Plants vs. Zombies
Ys Origin
Alan Wake
Alice Madness Returns
From Dust
HOARD
Sanctum
Trine 2
Darksiders
PixelJunk Eden
Penumbra Collectors Pack
Saints Row: The Third
Mafia II DLC - Jimmys Vendetta
Mafia II DLC Joe's Adventures
Summer Sale Indie Bundle Day One
Alan Wake American Nightmare
Legend of Grimrock
Mafia II

I see people are back into giving out steam ID's so here's mine again if anyone is interested.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/MrFortyFive

Now to tackle this massive backlog of gaming goodness in preparation for the next sale!

Top Bottom