• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carm

I'm currently playing part two and haven't run into any problems with the original game or the second one. Second game is the beginning of the UPLAY stuff, doesn't seem too intrusive though. Games have native 360 controller support too if you own one.

I just finished AC1 yesterday and started up AC2. AC2 runs far worse than the first one, pretty disappointing. When I say far worse mind you, it's no longer 60fps 95% of the time. In the first town I've been as low as the mid 30's. Now anything above 30 seems like it would be fine, but it's very jarring fluctuating between 30 and 60 a lot, makes it feel worse than if it was at 30 all the time.

Changing the graphics options has zero impact for me on the framerate too, which is really odd.

AMD Quad 3.0
8gig memory
460 gtx oc
win 7

I hope brotherhood/revelations runs better than this.

This year: 12 daily deals
Last year: 15 daily deals
Both sales = 11 days.

So I think he's right in his conclusion, but wrong about the time zone stuff

Oh right, sorry, I was under the assumption that it was the same amount of Daily Deals each sale (and that he was misinterpreting the countdown). I guess they must have reduced the number of Daily Deals in order to make room for the Flash Sales and the Community Vote and, under the assumption that those items won't appear in the daily deals it seems they'll balance each other out in the end anyway.

EDIT: Now that clarification was brought up it's good to see that your conclusion (final line) was correct afterall (and I didn't make a complete mess of the response at least).

Sblargh

Banned
It was me! So glad you're enjoying it, in fact I just started a game as a muslim ruler on the Iberian peninsula :) Spain for the muslims!

Oh hey! It's you! Haha! Thanks, dude. Game is great. It acutally is a lot like I expected EU3 to be. And muslims, urgh, as Portugal they are right on your doorstep, tho it seems they have plenty of conflict among themselves, too. I guess this keeps me more safe than I realize.

I bought this last week during the amazon sale and i have tried playing this a couple times and I'm just too stupid to understand what's going on. I sit around... then some guy insults me in a play so war breaks out? Then I see dudes marching on the screen and I'm like what the hell do i do??? Then I spend the majority of my time sending gifts to people so they don't hate me? and I still end up in war. Too much for my simpleton mind.

It's actually not that complicated, that's why I really recommend the in-game tutorial as boring and not pefect as it is, because you don't really really REALLY need to know every system and how they work, you only really need to know what each of the 300 buttons, do. So when at war, just go to the military screen and there is one button there where you gather an army from each vassal (including the one in cities inside territories you own) and one button to gather an army from these territories you directly own. From there you just gather everyone in one big stack of death and stomp people as they come. That's the basic, you can obviously be more effective, but I don't know if the game ever demands it too much.

There's a more complex math regarding armies (and other systems), but the game doesn't punish you too much for not knowing them. You really just need to know what button to press to do what and this the tutorial explains.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
But is 9 euros :(
It sounds so good but I have the fear that the game gets boring for me in little time, although the text you wrtoe is there up my alley, its what I wanted from Total War games, the little stories that can change your history. Are this random totally random with a very high number of this types of events, or its still very Total War?

Sounds very random. My character got ill and better at least 3 times before one disease finally killed him. I think it might be related to how he was personally going to wars, but I don't know. These paradox games do an actually goood job of turning a gazllion of different events into some number somewhere that can be min-maxed if you're neurotic enough; but in the case of this first game of mine, it seemed I was reacting more than causing the little things like sickess and intrigue.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Darkness II, you'll enjoy Quad Wielding but then with-in 45 minutes have done all combos, kill moves, and go "that's it"?

RAGE is a no go, you will give up with-in 30 minutes, going "this isn't what I thought it was"
Open world, but linear gameplay...

Ass Creed Rev. Up to you if you need the finale for Ezio

I say, get none... crazy choice I know

Wait for better deals... LOL!

I tried to login to Steam from my phone so I could vote at work and it is sending a code I have to verify to my old email adress that I updated on my PC yesterday. Dumb and annoying.

So you cant buy Steam games from your phone at all?

ASilva

Neo Member
For people complaining about buying through Amazon outside the US: just put in an USA address and you're all set. I've bought a bunch of games (including Darkness 2 a few months ago when it was 12$ for the first time) without a problem.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There are risks with it. People have had accounts suspended.

Steam would actually make it available in my currency (and slightly cheaper than the converted US price) without having to resort to a workaround.

This thread moves rather quickly with news deals, but I did address this:

Buying digital products from Amazon is as easy as adding a US billing address; its checkout system doesn't cross-check the user's nominated billing address against that tied to the DC/CC itself. Yes, you may be banned if Amazon employees manually cross-check, but Support will free your account once you explain that you're simply exploiting a loophole [that is entirely Amazon's doing] and not actively avoiding tax.

Euphor!a

Banned
I bought a 4-pack of Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition, if you want one of the copies for $7.50 + Whatever PayPal fees there are, let me know.

jgminto

I can accept people voting for The Darkness 2, even if it is on discount on Amazon. It was a tight, well made 6-8 hour FPS with satisfying action, fantastic visual style and some genuinely interesting story moments. RAGE was a slog through drab corridors, separated by standard driving sections and a multiplayer mode that no one will care about. The only thing memorable about the game were the weapons. But ideally you should be voting for AssCreed.

Voted for RAGE. All 3 are on my wishlist but the other two would still be over $10 with their discounts so that means no-buy.

Also, I don't recall seeing RAGE for $5 from Amazon, Steam, or GOG. I usually don't buy from anywhere else. Maybe I missed it.

benjipwns

Banned
I tried to login to Steam from my phone so I could vote at work and it is sending a code I have to verify to my old email adress that I updated on my PC yesterday. Dumb and annoying.

So you cant buy Steam games from your phone at all?
That's SteamGuard no?

Pretty sure other people are buying from their phones?

MNC

Do you guys think if Orange Box will go 75% or will it stay at 50%?

I have 15€ left from the 25€ I added. Have bough Portal Bundle and Hard Reset.

Will probably Orange Box and one of the Stalker games.

Why buy Orange Box if TF2 is free to play and you already have portal 1? Go for some kind of HL2 bundle.

massoluk

Banned
Revelation for sure this round. Been on my wishlist forever, but heard it's basically more of Assassins Creed II and Bro. But will bite at high discount.

Qwell

I just finished AC1 yesterday and started up AC2. AC2 runs far worse than the first one, pretty disappointing. When I say far worse mind you, it's no longer 60fps 95% of the time. In the first town I've been as low as the mid 30's. Now anything above 30 seems like it would be fine, but it's very jarring fluctuating between 30 and 60 a lot, makes it feel worse than if it was at 30 all the time.

Changing the graphics options has zero impact for me on the framerate too, which is really odd.

AMD Quad 3.0
8gig memory
460 gtx oc
win 7

I hope brotherhood/revelations runs better than this.
I just beat AC2 last night, after putting about 40 hours into it, the game got really frustrating. First I lost about 3 hours of work because I stupidly used the Cloud Save that they added to Uplay which quickly failed to Synch and then corrupted all my previous saves with ones with 2 days prior.

Then about the last 6 hours that I played I would just randomly get dropped back to the UPlay home screen. I'm not sure why, there weren't any error messages, I assume its because of the always online DRM and maybe there was hiccup in my connection or something? Even though I have FiOS and have never seen a connection issue before.

Still a fun game, but the issues really started to bug me near the end and I just wanted it to be over, going to wait a bit before starting up AC: Brotherhood.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
SF AE 75% off. Costume packs 50% off. I shouldn't complain about 50% off right. The costumes are summer sale, so I can at least wait till the 23rd in the super duper slim chance it goes lower.

And voted for Rage.

Nelo Ice

Banned
SF AE 75% off. Costume packs 50% off. I shouldn't complain about 50% off right. The costumes are summer sale, so I can at least wait till the 23rd in the super duper slim chance it goes lower.

I would so buy the complete pack if it was 75% off. Otherwise I'm paying the exact same price for costumes that I paid for the game lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom