• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasoneyu

This flash sale stuff is driving me insane. Instead of just checking steam once a day at most, im looking every few hours just in case I miss something.

Sadist

So uh, I kinda think the AC series is a bit boring, (was extremely disappointed by the first game and I played about five hours of AC II, which didn't seem to make huge improvements over the first game) but with the Steam sale I'm inclined to buy one of the discounted AC games: so, which AC would you recommend as the one I should try?

I find SR3 just isn't well optimized for PC period...

A lot of the the time it will hold 60FPS, and others drop when there is nothing happening on screen but you walking or driving.

Cheddahz

Banned
So uh, I kinda think the AC series is a bit boring, (was extremely disappointed by the first game and I played about five hours of AC II, which didn't seem to make huge improvements over the first game) but with the Steam sale I'm inclined to buy one of the discounted AC games: so, which AC would you recommend as the one I should try?

Brotherhood, I hear Revelations is the worst AC game

Volcynika

Well if you already have 2, Brotherhood is more of that + multiplayer.

HiiiLife

seriously though, does my game drop frames to maintain the gameplay, or do i just lose inputs? i'm super curious how they handled this. it's a deal breaker.

i don't want an unfair advantage over people, i want everyone to play on equal ground.

I honestly would assume you'd have an advantage. I usually maintain a 60 fps in Team Fortress 2 but it still dips when all the craziness goes on screen. But I hear people that have higher framerates like 120 say that it's nice having high fps cause gives you headroom for battles like that. In terms of Street Fighter though.. I'm not sure what's considered a fair battleground. I hear frames are pretty important in fighting games but would they "penalize" or intentionally slow you for having a higher fps? Im really not sure :/

If you didn't like AC or ACII I really don't think you'll like Brotherhood or Revelations. Both games play very similar to ACII.

Brotherhood is the best one out, but if you didn't think ACII was a huge improvement over AC, this may not be the series for you.

RetroMG

Question about SSF4 AE. (Asking for a fellow Gaffer who is at work)

Is the PC version compatible with a 360 Fight Stick? I don't see any reason it wouldn't be.

Leonsito

Day 1 is not over and we're already at over 5200 posts. We're going to end up with like 3 OTs for this sale.

Only Trine 2 for me so far. Only other game I'm definitely getting for this sale is Divine Divinity, probably on the last day since I doubt it's going to be a daily.

Might get Titan Quest and it's expansion, and if Witcher 2 is a daily/flash deal, I'll probably jump on it.

And that's all I have in mind. If any of my wishlist filler drops enough I might get it too.

You just have to buy a game that's on sale for the Save Money one.

And to publish a video just post a video on youtube and post it to your Steam account under videos.

And hey, only one more vote and I get the 5 vote achievement thing.

Thanks man.

Get The Witcher 2 ASAP!

Tesseract

Banned
I honestly would assume you'd have an advantage. I usually maintain a 60 fps in Team Fortress 2 but it still dips when all the craziness goes on screen. But I hear people that have higher framerates like 120 say that it's nice having high fps cause gives you headroom for battles like that. In terms of Street Fighter though.. I'm not sure what's considered a fair battleground. I hear frames are pretty important in fighting games but would they "penalize" or intentionally slow you for having a higher fps? Im really not sure :/

thanks for the reply. i just dug up capcom's word:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/sven/blog/2011/05/25/stuff_you_want_to_know_about_ssfiv:ae_for_pc

variable timing is more or less what i hoped for. gonna take the plunge!

AC II is the best IMO (brotherhood is close or maybe a tie). If you can't get into that one maybe it isn't for you. And it made huge improvements over the first one.

HiiiLife

So would GAF recommend waiting for Global Offensive to release or should i pick up 1.6 and Source if they go on sale? I'm a brand new player. And when I say new, I mean I never played CS in my life.

hlhbk

Just reinstalled the force unleashed to see if I can get the sound working correctly on a 5.1 setup. The most frustrating part is that the movies are fine, its just the gameplay that the music only comes out of the left speaker. WTF

Brotherhood, I hear Revelations is the worst AC game

No way is Revelations the worst. It's just the only one that didn't really improve on the game that came before it, and felt like the rushed sequel no one really wanted or needed that most people assumed Brotherhood would be but were pleasantly surprised wasn't. AC is easily the worst, and more or less a tech demo compared to any of the other games. ACR, for what it is, is slightly worse than ACB, putting it roughly equal to or greater than AC2.

There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance.

Every sale. I usually can only buy things late at night, but I can't even rely on that tactic with these flash sales...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom