• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

OniShiro

Banned
Actually I just bought it from there and it did not come with a Steam key despite the product page saying you require Steam to play it. I also got the email from GMG telling me how to activate my game on Steam "using the below key" but there was no key in the email. But I can download and play the game though Capsule.

I've contacted support.

They might have run out of keys. Support should send you a key when they receive a new batch.

Fireblend

Banned
Damn, I've been playing Rayman with my girlfriend for the past couple of hours, and I must say it's become an instant success with both of us. Such a masterpiece, I hope it comes back as a daily so I can recommend the fuck out of it when it does.

Actually I just bought it from there and it did not come with a Steam key despite the product page saying you require Steam to play it. I also got the email from GMG telling me how to activate my game on Steam "using the below key" but there was no key in the email. But I can download and play the game though Capsule.

I've contacted support.

This exact same thing just happened to me.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
No I mean how does the game control with mouse and keyboard.

Ah, sorry. Didnt know what to do with your initial question.
That should answer it then->
You control the movement with the keyboard and shoot/aim with the mouse.

epmode

I'd like to hear more convincing talk about the gameplay please :) If you get me to like and play it, I'll promise I'll get far more people to play and like it! :p
It's a physics-based puzzle platformer with a whole lot of fluid simulation going on. To get this out of the way early, it can get janky, like most other physics-based games.

What impresses me is the care that's put into the whole package. New ideas are taught using subtle Valve-style tutorials and it has an excellent difficulty curve. Even if you get stumped, you can skip most individual puzzles and come back later using a handy shortcut system (similar to Braid).

I also really like how almost nothing in the game is scripted. This is difficult to explain without seeing the game... You know how Deus Ex or Thief feels more like a simulation than a scripted game? How you have to use your tools to exploit a level that would continue humming along without the player character? Vessel has the same vibe. The puzzle elements themselves are physically simulated, the AI behavior is very predictable, etc.

And while the art style isn't going to win any awards, it works in motion. Lots of spinning cogs, pistons, swaying trees, rain/steam/lava flying everywhere..

And oh god the music is beautiful. You don't even know.

So your enjoyment of the game will primarily depend on your jank tolerance. If you can get over the occasional physics-based annoyance, there's a lot to love. It reminds me of those diamond-in-the-rough Eastern European RPGs*

*Play Risen!

REV 09

AC:R is quite good. It isn't as good as Brotherhood, but it is certainly worth playing. Some of the locales are gorgeous and the ending to the Ezio and Altair plotlines are kind of touching.

Shadybiz

RE: Saints Row 3.

Gaf, this game is a riot! Why didn't you tell me??
I kid

But no, seriously, if the $12.49 sale recaps, people who are on the fence should jump in.

AC:R is quite good. It isn't as good as Brotherhood, but it is certainly worth playing. Some of the locales are gorgeous and the ending to the Ezio and Altair plotlines are kind of touching.

The whole game just feels kind of useless, especially for one with the subtitle revelations. Considering there aren't any in the game. You could skip it entirely and miss nothing.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
It's a physics-based puzzle platformer with a whole lot of fluid simulation going on. To get this out of the way early, it can get janky, like most other physics-based games.

What impresses me is the care that's put into the whole package. New ideas are taught using subtle Valve-style tutorials and it has an excellent difficulty curve. Even if you get stumped, you can skip most individual puzzles and come back later using a handy shortcut system (similar to Braid).

I also really like how almost nothing in the game is scripted. This is difficult to explain without seeing the game... You know how Deus Ex or Thief feels more like a simulation than a scripted game? How you have to use your tools to exploit a level that would continue humming along without the player character? Vessel has the same vibe. The puzzle elements themselves are physically simulated, the AI behavior is very predictable, etc.

And while the art style isn't going to win any awards, it works in motion. Lots of spinning cogs, pistons, swaying trees, rain/steam/lava flying everywhere..

So your enjoyment of the game will primarily depend on your jank tolerance. If you can get over the occasional physics-based annoyance, there's a lot to love. It reminds me of those diamond-in-the-rough Eastern European RPGs*

*Play Risen!

The bolded part was the most convincing thing I heard so far about the game. I will probably give it a shot, thanks for the impressions!*

*Played and loved Risen

Megasoum

Banned

*Play Risen!

Do we know if it's gonna be in any of the Indie Bundle? I'm interested but not necessarly 8$ interested lol.

REV 09

The whole game just feels kind of useless, especially for one with the subtitle revelations. Considering there aren't any in the game. You could skip it entirely and miss nothing.

if you enjoy the AC gameplay then i don't see how AC:R is useless. If you've had your fill then you could wait until AC3 i guess.

anddo0

I've purchased NOTHING so far. I almost bit on Rayman (which I regret not getting) and Street Figher: AE (couldn't get into a 4-pack).

Still holding out for:

Max Payne (cheaper)
Risen 2
Batman (($15)
YS Oath+Orgin (cheaper)
Dustforce
Rage

Toma

Do we know if it's gonna be in any of the Indie Bundle? I'm interested but not necessarly 8$ interested lol.

Avadon, Qube, Vessel, Dungeons of Dredmore, Random Zombie Game I forgot.

Sounds good actually, but 10$ only for Qube and Vessel is a bit too much for me :/

daxy

I've purchased NOTHING so far. I almost bit on Rayman (which I regret not getting) and Street Figher: AE (couldn't get into a 4-pack).

Still holding out for:

Max Payne (cheaper)
Risen 2
Batman (($15)
YS Oath+Orgin (cheaper)
Dustforce
Rage

The daily is probably the cheapest Max Payne (3) is gonna get this sale.

Smash88

Banned
Pcqap.jpg

So I picked up the Broken Sword Trilogy (currently 75% off so you can grab it for $2.50) when it was on sale awhile ago and I really enjoyed the first two games. I just finished the second, and I have to say if you are looking for some fun P&C Adventure games with decent puzzles and writing, you'll get your money's worth.

I'm posting this more, though, because I just booted up the third game (Sleeping Dragon) and, what the hell? Why is it suddenly a direct control 3D game? I mean, yeah, some of the animations in the first two games were crude, and a little off putting, but did we really have to go 3D? The game had so much more charm in 2D that I'm not sure if I can keep playing this way. Having finished the first 2 games I won't feel bad about buy all three but has anyone out there played it? Is it actually worth finishing if I enjoyed the characters from the first 2 games?

Toma

So I picked up the Broken Sword Trilogy (currently 75% off so you can grab it for $2.50) when it was on sale awhile ago and I really enjoyed the first two games. I just finished the second, and I have to say if you are looking for some fun P&C Adventure games with decent puzzles and writing, you'll get your money's worth.

I'm posting this more, though, because I just booted up the third game (Sleeping Dragon) and, what the hell? Why is it suddenly a direct control 3D game? I mean, yeah, some of the animations in the first two games were crude, and a little off putting, but did we really have to go 3D? The game had so much more charm in 2D that I'm not sure if I can keep playing this way. Having finished the first 2 games I won't feel bad about buy all three but has anyone out there played it? Is it actually worth finishing if I enjoyed the characters from the first 2 games?

The first 2 are classics, even milestones in the genre. You can skip over the third without any regrets. The release fell into a period where 2D games were too outdated to be even considered, and 3D made everything better. Needless to say the game didnt adjust in the way it did, and I think it even had a different developer anyway.

Skip 3. The third part only hurts what kind of enjoyment and commitment you build up in part 1 and 2.

So far:

Portal 1 - $1.24
Portal 2 - $4.99
Half Life 2 - $2.49
Half Life 2: Episode 1 - $1.99

Total - $10.71

Already had Half Life: Episode 2 for free thanks to a friend.

And yes, I played the Orange box back in 2007 when it came out. Just double dipping since I finally built a rig for myself last xmas.

bonesquad

Avadon, Qube, Vessel, Dungeons of Dredmore, Random Zombie Game I forgot.

Sounds good actually, but 10$ only for Qube and Vessel is a bit too much for me :/

How can you forget Zombie Driver? Just keep this reddit post bookmarked as reference for this sale.

I'm hoping Lone Survivor (I passed on the last Humble Bundle because I already had everything but this game) and Botanicula appear as their own deals.

vid

Deus Ex: HR ever go below $7? Really tempted to grab a copy off Amazon for $6.99. Sure it is worth that.

Do it. That pretty much matches the price that it had during a Flash Sale on the first day, and it redeems through Steam anyway.

Curufinwe

AssRev is almost the same game again, but every system from Brotherhood has an extra layer of obfuscation. It adds nothing to the overall story of the series, and it just feels like a bloated mess of a game.

Ignore this. The only thing messy about Revelations is the tower defense minigame and it's pretty easy to avoid having to do that more than once or twice. The story is not crucial but it is well told, and has a very rewarding ending if you've followed the series from the beginning, or even just from AC2. The hookblade makes getting around the city and up and down buildings faster and easier than ever.

The Desmond sections are crap, but you don't have to play them.

kidko

Anyone have an opinion on Civilization V? I love the series and am considering getting the collection.

I'm a late comer to Civ, started when 4 came out. I loved 4 and played it tons, but started to fade just as Civ 5 was announced. Civ 5 changed (got rid of) a lot of what I loved about Civ 4, but it introduced new things that I've grown to love.

I don't think Civ 5 is the perfect sequel to 4 by any means, nor is it a true replacement, but it's smoothed out some edges of the game that suit me fine as a gamer who's getting older and less interested in obsessive nitty-gritty min/maxery.

You might say its like a hard rock band you grew up with releasing a really good album that's controversial for being a little lighter and produced sounding than their older stuff.

The first 2 are classics, even milestones in the genre. You can skip over the third without any regrets. The release fell into a period where 2D games were too outdated to be even considered, and 3D made everything better. Needless to say the game didnt adjust in the way it did, and I think it even had a different developer anyway.

Skip 3. The third part only hurts what kind of enjoyment and commitment you build up in part 1 and 2.

Cool, thanks Toma, that's exactly what I was looking for. Time to delete this install without regrets.

Too bad, though, I was really looking forward to more P&C...guess this just means I'll have to at least get the Syberia pack by the end of the sale if not more.

FrankT

So far:

Portal 1 - $1.24
Portal 2 - $4.99
Half Life 2 - $2.49
Half Life 2: Episode 1 - $1.99

Total - $10.71

Already had Half Life: Episode 2 for free thanks to a friend.

And yes, I played the Orange box back in 2007 when it came out. Just double dipping since I finally built a rig for myself last xmas.

Grabbed Episode 2 here. Played through Orange Box on 360 but already had the rest on PC from back in the day. Prices are so good, but starting to replay and man there are few games this gen that compare.

So far I got Sonic and Half Life 1. Never played the original, should be fun.

One of the best games ever made, but really hasn't aged well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom