• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

aasoncott

I'm really in the mood for a good stupid action game. Max Payne is really temping -- however, I'm utterly broke. Is it $30 good, or am I better off waiting for something older and cheaper? Perhaps F3AR?

They owe a little tact with this whole thing. Sale starts later than usual, and during Comic con, exactly when I'm away nearly all day. Bad form.

They're not obligated to start the sale at any point, it's not like they announced a date and missed it. They don't "owe" you any apology or tact or whatever at all, really. They will take feedback and move on, I imagine.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Cool, thanks Toma, that's exactly what I was looking for. Time to delete this install without regrets.

Too bad, though, I was really looking forward to more P&C...guess this just means I'll have to at least get the Syberia pack by the end of the sale if not more.

I highly recommend The Whispered World, as far as Steam Adventure games go. Be warned though, it has a low res 1024 I believe and gets quite hard later on.

Minion101

Banned
I'm really in the mood for a good stupid action game. Max Payne is really temping -- however, I'm utterly broke. Is it $30 good, or am I better off waiting for something older and cheaper? Perhaps F3AR?

Max Payne 3 gets a thumbs down from me. Got so tired of the shooting I stopped. F3AR is fun in co-op only. Its single player is a bore.

Salsa

it's launch-price good and it has the best soundtrack of 2012.

OniShiro

Banned
The Netherlands but same timezone eh.

8 days left and I'm already dangerously close to my €50 budget.

I only got PixelEden Junk so far, but I'll get later today the Indie Bundle 2.

Tonight I only slept 3 hours, too anxious because of the steam sale, damn.... Might take a nap later on if I can.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is it worth buying packs? Or are we expecting the developers packs to be dailys?

Those wont get further discounts. ALmost all are easily worth their price, especially Sega, Bethesda and Paradox.

only cause they spoiled you by being so good, hah

it's not like they ever broke any promises

That's the issue. When you fudge with any of your sales, expect people to call you on it, no matter how good sales still are. (See also: Apple going from free iPod touch to $100 App store card with their back to school sale.)

Eyothrie

Having never played any of the Assassin's Creed games, is it a safe bet to go for the AC pack at 49.99? I really only interested in 1 and 2 to catch me up before 3 comes out

Toma

On the topic of The Whispered World:

Trailer

http://store.steampowered.com/app/18490/

75% off so it wont be cheaper (5 bucks now). Impressions I wrote up last year:

Its definitely worth 10 bucks.

One of the best and truest to the roots adventures when you liked the Sierra Adventures like Kings Quest VIII. Some Puzzles are a bit out of the world but you are definitely in for a treat. Its definitely my favorite adventure by FAR of the recent years. Actually I was thinking about creating an OT when it came out here, but it wasnt out in America yet and I wanted to wait. Well seems I missed that point.
The game is great, has some unbelievably charming characters, smart puzzles (that get hard later on) and a very memorable ending.

The Whispered World is a great, one of the best and definitely the most underrated of the recent adventure games. Highly recommended. The voice of Sadwick is annoying though.

I really liked the Tales of Monkey Island and the Sam and Max games as well, but there werent many other "classical" adventure games on par in my opinion. it really pushes the feeling Sierra was going for.

Oh and its beautiful:

awhisperedworld_03.png

Whispered_World_1.jpg

Fair warning, though: The cinematics are not as beautiful as the rest of the game and the voice of the main character might get annoying. Plus its locked to a low res due to the hand drawn graphics.

And again: Here is the trailer.
http://www.gamershell.com/tv/25228.html

:)

Thinking about this game makes me feel happy. Its also actually the only game me, my girlfriend and my sister played through. My sister hasnt touched any videogame since Diablo 2 and just for the record: Its about 20 hours long.

Checked Avadon and Dreadmore. Can't invest in the games right now since i have some IE that i need to grind through yet. However Vessel looks like a very competent game so check it out if not familiar with it.

Varna

MP3 is just such a frustrating game. When it gets going it's just incredibly fun. But holy shit do they make actually playing the game a chore. So many constant intrusive elements and the game choosing your starting position for heavy gun battles is just annoying as hell (since you can easy be shot from behind cover, often you might lose almost all your life before you get a chance to do anything). Cutscenes can go on forever and you can't skip them... ever.

darkbanjo

Just spotted the half life complete sale and I'm going to miss it since I dont have access to my card for the next week. Any word on whether flash sales will be repeated? Half life was all I wanted from the sale, steam why have you forsaken me?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So far:
Deus Ex Human Revolution Augmented Edition
Ridge Racer Unbounded with DLC
The Sims 3
The Sims 3 Showtime: Katy Perry Collectors Edition
The Binding of Issac: Wrath of the Lamb
Super Monday Night Combat DLC pack
PixelJunk Eden with OST

I was going to wait on the two Sims 3 games, but I convinced myself that EA titles wouldn't be part of the daily or lightning deals, so I rolled the dice and will see if I did the right thing.

Spent $85 so far, and the only other game I want is Binary Domain. I'll wait on that one and see if the price goes down further.

Curufinwe

That's some solid dedication to Katy Perry right there.

Having never played any of the Assassin's Creed games, is it a safe bet to go for the AC pack at 49.99? I really only interested in 1 and 2 to catch me up before 3 comes out

You're better off just watching the cut scenes for 1 on youtube, playing 2, and then deciding if you want to also play Brotherhood and maybe Revelations.

I'm not a completionist, I just don't want to be lost as far as the story goes. But I guess that's what wikipedia is for

The games themselves will catch you up at the beginning of each. Companies like money, they tend to avoid alienating potential customers by making their games only accessible to people who have played other games.

That being said, AC: Brotherhood is best played after ACII. AC: Revelations is solid, but a safe skip if on a time or money crunch. AC isn't that good and I suggest people skip it unless they're on a time and money surplus.

So I bought the Tribes pack, and I see my 800G in-game, but not my XP boost, and I dunno where I'd check to see about my class unlocks. What's the dealio?

Alrix

dear hivemind gaf,

what do you think of the might and magic games? never really played/heard of them and am interested.

thanx

Kuroyume

Banned
Just when I started to recognize what the items do in basic Binding of Isaac... Here's 100+ new items for you to figure out for Wrath of Lamb! Fuck lol

Razek

Banned
Why couldn't they just have different and more reasonable times for the flash sales? Maybe have them so they don't update during the middle of the night per region? I need my sleeps.

eyeless

has anyone ever played guardian of light local co-op with two wireless 360 controllers. never had a game that allows that so i can't test it. i may bite if you can.

Well maybe not literally, but putting it up on there for a limited time when the service is overloaded making it hard to get the thing, or when people might not be around for the offer, is just short of a troll.

Unless the flash deals just end up as daily deals anyway, which they almost certainly will given the length of the sale...so they are just giving people more chance to buy now. People can still miss a day's deals too.

So I bought the Tribes pack, and I see my 800G in-game, but not my XP boost, and I dunno where I'd check to see about my class unlocks. What's the dealio?
XP boost is a thing you can actually buy in the game, additional boost that is. Just look and see if VIP Account shows up to the left of your account name on the main menu, you have a permanent XP boost on that. Look at the class list and see if Technician and Infiltrator aren't locked out either.

aasoncott

What about Payday?

I was hoping for something single-player. Even at $5 I'm not sure I'd play it enough to justify the purchase.

Max Payne 3 gets a thumbs down from me. Got so tired of the shooting I stopped.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I guess it's a pass. I'll bite when it's $10 at Christmas :p

it's launch-price good and it has the best soundtrack of 2012.

I loved MP3, worth every penny and I bought it day 1.

Aww dammit guys. Now I'm on the fence again.

XP boost is a thing you can actually buy in the game, additional boost that is. Just look and see if VIP Account shows up to the left of your account name on the main menu, you have a permanent XP boost on that. Look at the class list and see if Technician and Infiltrator aren't locked out either.

Ah, yeah, VIP is up in the corner. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom