• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, if one of your criticisms is that the game is a mishmash of Twin Peaks and Stephen King, then I don't know what to tell you. Both Twin Peaks and Stephen King are awesome, and the game does an excellent job (more so than any other title in recent memory, actually) of bringing that small town mystery atmosphere to life.

And second of all, the game isn't five hours long, which makes me question if you've even beaten it.

Stephen King is a terrible author.

Terrible.

I thought I'd save money by reading about the original Alan Wake and just playing American Nightmare. If you guys want to go ahead and tell me how awful my idea is before it's too late for me to buy the whole pack, please do.

First of all, the original Alan Wake is fantastic. This isn't shitty Assasin's Creed 1. It's the real deal. Second, American Nightmare is just a spin off. If anything you should only be buying the original game. HOWEVER, the original game is $7.50 by itself. It's only $2.50 more for American Night Mare and CE editione extras like the commentary and soundtrack.

So happy to see all the AW love in this thread.

tumblr_m5qgxnEVSS1r3zat8.gif

I thought I'd save money by reading about the original Alan Wake and just playing American Nightmare. If you guys want to go ahead and tell me how awful my idea is before it's too late for me to buy the whole pack, please do.

Alan Wake + DLCs is about 15 hours and is a more complete experience. American Nightmare is just a 4-5 hour side story that fills in some gaps...it's good, but you'll probably just be confused.

i'm a little drunk sry about that

but seriously alan wake product placement is hte most egregious junkever

ENERGIZER BATTERS TO CHARGE MY FLASHLIGHT

WHOOPS GOTTA WATCH THIS RANDOM VERIZON COMMERICAL WHILE WALKING THROUGH A SPOOKY HOUSE

inm8num2

Ugh I might have to break my sale virginity with Alan Wake. Seems too good to pass up and I've been interested for a long time.

I wonder if you'll get anything for doing all the badges for this sale. Mostly you just have to vote a lot.

I really wish they wouldn't do this again in the future with the flash deals though. Way too much to handle worrying about those, plus the daily deals, and the community choice deal on top of it all. Achievement hunts or whatever are more entertaining - this is just stressful.

anddo0

Tempting as it were, I ended up getting American Nightmare only. We're in the middle of the Steam sale, no need to speed $6.25 on a game I already own.

Cystm

• Hard reset $4
  • Portal +Portal 2 (for my wife) $6
  • Alan Wake Franchise $10
  • Spacechem $2
  • SSFIV AE $10

$32

Skyrim needs to happen soon

anyone having trouble buying stuff on steam?

I keep getting this error when trying to buy crusader kings 2 collection
There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance.

Vossler

Almost pulled the trigger on AW American Nightmare earlier today for 7.49, but felt that it *might* be a daily deal.....woot on the whole package on pc for 10 bucks!!!!!

FrankT

One of my favorite franchises then gen. Tempting to buy again. If you are into story definitely get it all. Personally one of my favorite pieces of gaming gear this gen is the book that you got with Alan Wake 360 LE(Also love the short cinema series they put out right before release as well). Every little piece of the story.....got to have it. I can certainly understand people being split on it though.

Got Max Payne 3 and The Binding of Issac for today's purchases. I wasn't gonna pick up MP3 originally as I had only gotten it on 360, but for £15, too tempting.

But Issac for 99p was a no brainer. Ed McMillen's first post-Meat Boy game for the litre of a milk was a forgone conclusion.

The damage in the sale so far to date:

• Shogun 2: Total War
  • Saints Row: The Third
  • Max Payne 3
  • The Binding of Issac

i'm a little drunk sry about that

but seriously alan wake product placement is hte most egregious junkever

ENERGIZER BATTERS TO CHARGE MY FLASHLIGHT

WHOOPS GOTTA WATCH THIS RANDOM VERIZON COMMERICAL WHILE WALKING THROUGH A SPOOKY HOUSE

Just like...REAL LIFE! Unless you buy duracell.

Retne

I really wish Alan Wake wasn't a TPS. I really can't stand that gameplay style. If it were any other style I'd be interested but I've bought and hated too many TPS games to do it to myself again.

Oh well. I guess I just can't like everything.

LobLob

Banned
Man, i was doing so well today and now this, Mother F'ing Fucker.

So now i have bought:

Hard Rest - 3.75
Toy Soldiers - 2.49
Alan Wakes American Nightmare - 3.74
Terraria - 2.49
Trine 2 - 3.74
Saints Row 3 - 12.49
Hydrophobia - 1.24

Total so far: 29.94

At least i know these are all games i will play and at least all of them are dirt cheap.

Also, I downloaded the demo for Space Marine and now that I've bought the full game the Demo isn't showing up in my library anymore. It's still in my steamapps folder though it doesn't open when I double click the exe. Can I not play the demo anymore after buying the full game? Will installing the full game automatically uninstall the demo?
Anybody? I know Alan Wake being on sale is exciting and all, but with this being the only current Steam thread I have no where else to ask.

Salsa

What the? Hope this isn't true

it's the only complain I'd have about the game pretty much, but the post you quoted makes it sound way worse than what it is. The Verizon commercial is on an in-game TV that you can choose to turn on or off and can walk away from.

other than that there's some Verizon billboards and the batteries you use for your flashlight are Energizer but they're just in scale battery packs so you'll barely notice.

it's bad, but it's more than tolerable and forgettable. The worst example is a joke in one of the DLCs.

Phenomic

Alan Wake AM (so pumped) and Trine 2 so far for both 3.75 each! I love it. Will pick up L4D, Ys Oath (again) and Limbo if they go cheap enough.

hollllly fucking shit are some of you guys serious about the product placement in alan wake not being that bad

ahuahuhauhua why do you guys need to lie

there is literally, not figuratievely, but literally a part in that shitty DLC where you have to say 'can you hear me now''

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom