• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
So guys, be honest with me: The Alan Wake franchise sale seems like a no-brainer to me but I absolutely suck at horror/scary games, how much sense would buying this have? I'm attracted to it because of the literature/movie references in the game and the great reviews, but if I'm going to be quitting because I'll be panicking every 20 minutes then I'd rather skip it. Is it truly a horror game? Or does it have more of a Left 4 Dead kind of horror?

I would say there are a few pretty creepy moments, but as others have said there arent really any "jump scares.". There places wheee you will be like "oh shit run, run run" but run is sometimes a strategy you need to employ to get to the safe space in the lught. Overall, it is defintely more of an action game than a traditional survival horror.

If you are really worried, play it on easy and enjoy the ride.

Bought:
Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition
Binding of Isaac Wrath of the Lamb
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes

Gifted:
Terraria (2 copies)
Trine 2

Received:
Trine 2

Just waiting on Ys: The Oath in Felghana, in case it gets a Daily or Flash!

justjim89

If anyone would be kind enough to gift me Alan Wake while it's on sale, I can gift you a game of equal value anytime after Monday.

My Steam name is the same as it is on here.

Thank you in advance?

Any takers? I'm not going to beg, I just really want to play Alan Wake.

If anyone feels like playing a cruel joke on someone http://store.steampowered.com/app/45100/?snr=1_7_suggest__13
MagicCrystals.jpg

is on sale for $1.25. I sent it to two buds, with a message along the lines of," I paid money for this as a gift for you so you must d/l and play it for at least 10 mins. If not, I'll be sad.

What's the best Tomb Raider game?

Probably Anniversary. Underworld has some excellent, really long and immersive levels where the game just lets you go for a couple of hours at a time without interruption, and it doesn't have any bossfights to crap you up, but Anniversary is probably the Tomb-Raider-iest Tomb Raider experience. Legend is great, too, though. They all control similarly enough that you can just plough through from one to the next.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
got AE on my cart, but I'm also looking at Anno 2070, and I've seen people talk about Indie Pack II (I kind of want the Universe Sandbox)

Payday any good?

Someone talk me into starting up Tribes!

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well was all hyped to get AC:R but I think I can wait for msrp to go down and it will def be cheaper around the time ACIII release.

Eusis

If anyone feels like playing a cruel joke on someone http://store.steampowered.com/app/45100/?snr=1_7_suggest__13
MagicCrystals.jpg

is on sale for $1.25. I sent it to two buds, with a message along the lines of," I paid money for this as a gift for you so you must d/l and play it for at least 10 mins. If not, I'll be sad.
One of the shots has a horse of fire, so it's probably not the worst gag gift you could get.

Actually, I should see how much Revelations 2012 is going for...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
MagicCrystals.jpg

One of the shots has a horse of fire, so it's probably not the worst gag gift you could get.

Actually, I should see how much Revelations 2012 is going for...

I've already put 2+ hours in. I am going to discover the secret of the magic crystals...I've been getting ready to do it for over a year now. It will happen. And Eusis, it really is one of the worst gag gifts you could give via Steam. The amount of time you need to put into this game in order to "win" is unfair.

E: Looks like the SF4AE code has been claimed! Thanks guys!

got AE on my cart, but I'm also looking at Anno 2070, and I've seen people talk about Indie Pack II (I kind of want the Universe Sandbox)

Payday any good?

Payday is fantastic if played with friends. I've been playing it for the last 2 weeks straight since it went on sale on Amazon for the same price. Great co-op action. It's L4D except with swat, and you're a bank robber. Each time you play the mission is slightly different, the missions are dynamic and can play out differently in surprising ways. It is awesome. Buy it, even with no one you know IRL you can do the Matchmaking and there is still a decent number of people playing(probably more now). We always have 3 in group and never have a problem finding a 4th.

MagicCrystals.jpg

Funny until I visited the page and saw "You already own Secret of the Magic Crystals". The crazy games we end up with thanks to bundles!

Payday any good?

Someone talk me into starting up Tribes!

I have no nostalgia for Tribes and love it. It play totally different from any shooter out and just skiing around the map is fun. Its a great game, but I feel the progression system is a bit too steep. It takes a bit longer then I'd like to afford new stuff. I haven't bought anything yet though so maybe that permanent xp boost you get after a purchase should fix it.

I'll actually go ahead and put myself in the path of GAF's wrath and join in on the Alan Wake dislike. I mean, it's a killer sale, so go ahead and try if you are interested, but I found it to be honestly a pretty bad game. The atmosphere is nice and it has good usage of light and dark along with a story that is pretty good by video game standards. But the gameplay was just really bad. Very little variety with weapons, enemies or tactics. And it just dragged on endlessly for parts without any advancing in the story and nothing but endless seeming, subpar combat and repetitive environments. So yeah, I'm sure folks will enjoy it, especially if you like atmosphere, but I found it a pretty big waste of time. It's actually the game that got me on my new kick of not finishing games if they start to drag, when I finished Alan Wake I was just so annoyed in retrospect at feeling like I had to beat a game that was so long and unfun for so much of it.

Yeah. American Nightmare is £3 on Steam (don't know the price in $, though).

$3.74 on U.S. store.

Anybody need help buying anything from the U.S. store? Just add me.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197978617538

Seems like a lot less people needing to buy from the U.S. store this year though. Could the days of BS regional prices finally be behind us?

So what happens if anyone buys that game on Steam now? Where does the money go?

Probably Rhode Island. Their governor said that if he was in charge the game wouldn't have had all that violence and sex ... I don't think anybody there would have a fucking clue on how to handle the game.

I'll actually go ahead and put myself in the path of GAF's wrath and join in on the Alan Wake dislike. I mean, it's a killer sale, so go ahead and try if you are interested, but I found it to be honestly a pretty bad game. The atmosphere is nice and it has good usage of light and dark along with a story that is pretty good by video game standards. But the gameplay was just really bad. Very little variety with weapons, enemies or tactics. And it just dragged on endlessly for parts without any advancing in the story and nothing but endless seeming, subpar combat and repetitive environments. So yeah, I'm sure folks will enjoy it, especially if you like atmosphere, but I found it a pretty big waste of time. It's actually the game that got me on my new kick of not finishing games if they start to drag, when I finished Alan Wake I was just so annoyed in retrospect at feeling like I had to beat a game that was so long and unfun for so much of it.

No one'll bite you're head off for disliking it, I can see where you're coming from, I just still fell in love with the atmosphere. Though, I actually like the Combat, thought it felt pretty good and was a lot of fun. I can respect your opinion, especially since you actually took the time as to say why you didn't like it.

graywolf323

So what happens if anyone buys that game on Steam now? Where does the money go?

it's on the road to Rhode Island

I can still see it happening. Either EA taking over that version of something. Otherwise it wouldnt even be on Steam at this point.

well 38 Studios probably had a contract with Steam so the game won't disappear until that initial contract is over (or Steam runs out of keys since there is no one to issue more keys to them anymore)

man, first you say the game is 5 hours long (literally impossible to beat it in that time. I even beat it in one sitting almost and it took me 15 hours), then this is the type of "criticism" you have towards it..

yeah, im sorry for anyone who takes this advice against all the other people saying good things about it. Not saying someone couldn't like the game (heck I even said it's "not for everyone" in my recommendation) but if you're gonna put no effort on your write up on it other than saying "LOL SO SHALLOW MASHUP STEPHEN KING CHARACTER'S RETARDED HOLY SHIT PEOPLE R BUYING IT LOLOLOLOL" while at the same time saying it disappoints people with "excellent taste" (assuming you put yourself in that group) and failing at explaining why the gameplay is shallow or the story is awful then I dont know what to tell ya "bro"

bro the story sucks because it's nothing but a string of suspense/horror movie cliches along with horrible horrible writing, I dunno maybe the horrible writing is done ironically as to parallel Stephen King; moreover it haslike the most annoying facet of bad fiction in a shit protagonist who's an idiot. Maybe if alan wake wasn't a jerk he'd realize that strapping on a lantern would make the bad guys go away. the gameplay is as I described it, youre railroaded down dark mountain paths fighting the same 3 enemies over and over again with the weird dodge mechanic that isn't all that novel to begin with. there's basically no variation in strategies when fighting said enemies.

its a cynical, empty experience and goes down as my biggest dissapointment this gen

No one'll bite you're head off for disliking it, I can see where you're coming from, I just still fell in love with the atmosphere. Though, I actually like the Combat, thought it felt pretty good and was a lot of fun. I can respect your opinion, especially since you actually took the time as to say why you didn't like it.

Yeah, I'll fully admit that I'm a little off on some things. Atmosphere in particular just does very little for me, I'm sure that's a big part of why I didn't like Alan Wake. As even as I'm not a fan of the game I did see that it had a really distinct feel, which was nice in an age of copy / paste clone games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom