• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
I jumped on Alan Wake alone for $10ish on GMG a couple of weeks ago. I had to get American Nightmare and the CE upgrade, still totally worth it.

LobLob

Banned
anyone having trouble buying stuff on steam?

I keep getting this error when trying to buy crusader kings 2 collection

Yes, i had that yesterday for about 2 hours or so along with a few others. Just keep trying to purchase what you want every few minutes until it goes through. Once my problem was fixed i have had no problem purchasing again.

Salsa

hollllly fucking shit are some of you guys serious about the product placement in alan wake not being that bad

ahuahuhauhua why do you guys need to lie

there is literally, not figuratievely, but literally a part in that shitty DLC where you have to say 'can you hear me now''

Eh, no one's saying it's good or not bothersome? read again. What people are saying is that it's a stupid reason to pass on the game.

As I noted the worst part for me was also the
can you hear me now
, and a character says it. Obviously meant to be a joke but it still bothered me.

Fireblend

Banned
So guys, be honest with me: The Alan Wake franchise sale seems like a no-brainer to me but I absolutely suck at horror/scary games, how much sense would buying this have? I'm attracted to it because of the literature/movie references in the game and the great reviews, but if I'm going to be quitting because I'll be panicking every 20 minutes then I'd rather skip it. Is it truly a horror game? Or does it have more of a Left 4 Dead kind of horror?

Curufinwe

Already played an arcade level of American Nightmare. So glad I stayed up late enough to get the flash deal.

Can someone tell me what the "Focus" command does? It defaults to F but it didn't seem to do anything on the one level I tried.

Come on, you snark like that and no avatar quote? You're slipping.

I was too busy right clicking -> google image searching two words of my post.

So guys, be honest with me: The Alan Wake franchise sale seems like a no-brainer to me but I absolutely suck at horror/scary games, how much sense would buying this have? I'm attracted to it because of the literature/movie references in the game and the great reviews, but if I'm going to be quitting because I'll be panicking every 20 minutes then I'd rather skip it. Is it truly a horror game? Or does it have more of a Left 4 Dead kind of horror?

More action, like L4D. It's atmosphere is whats great about it.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination

You'll be fine. It's nothing like Amnesia or Silent Hill (when I think of true horror games).

Salsa

it's spooky but it doesnt really go for jump scares or anything like that with a few exceptions, you'll be fine.

So far:

- Ys: The Oath in Felghana
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution
- Alan Wake Franchise
- Psychonauts
- SpaceChem

Eventually:

- Devil May Cry 3/4
- Trine Franchise
- Street Fighter x Tekken

And probably some other stuff I won't be able to resist.

Yes, i had that yesterday for about 2 hours or so along with a few others. Just keep trying to purchase what you want every few minutes until it goes through. Once my problem was fixed i have had no problem purchasing again.

well the deal ends soon. I put in a support request. I would hate to miss out on the sale price when the daily deal runs out.

Didn't think I needed anything but then I went and bought

Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Binding of Isaac Pack
Assassin's Creed Revelations

Total - $19.62

GabeN pls

The game has very distinct atmosphere, but it's hardly scary imo.

It has some tense moments, but nothing too scary.

Bentendo

it's the only complain I'd have about the game pretty much, but the post you quoted makes it sound way worse than what it is. The Verizon commercial is on an in-game TV that you can choose to turn on or off and can walk away from.

other than that there's some Verizon billboards and the batteries you use for your flashlight are Energizer but they're just in scale battery packs so you'll barely notice.

it's bad, but it's more than tolerable and forgettable. The worst example is a joke in one of the DLCs.

Can you maybe spoiler tag the joke? I'd like to hear what it is.

Also, why are people complaining about real-life batteries being featured in this kind of game? It's somewhat realistic! I don't remember anyone complaining about Duracell in Pikmin 2 and that sure as hell was out of place.

This sale brings out the best in people :)

iLudNf7RmIsdw.png

He must really hate you.

Eh, no one's saying it's good or not bothersome? read again. What people are saying is that it's a stupid reason to pass on the game.

As I noted the worst part for me was also the can you hear me now, and a character says it. Obviously meant to be a joke but it still bothered me.

the asshole protaganist (seriously alan wake is dumb and a jerk, they should release another DLC where he gets hit by a metorite in the first 2 minutes and then everyone sits down and enjoys a big mac with a nice tall glass of ice cold coca cola), awful story and ultra shallow gameplay is why people should pass on the game bro, egregiously bad product placement is just more fuel to the fire is all imsayin

the asshole protaganist (seriously alan wake is dumb and a jerk, they should release another DLC where he gets hit by a metorite in the first 2 minutes and then everyone sits down and enjoys a big mac with a nice tall glass of ice cold coca cola), awful story and ultra shallow gameplay is why people should pass on the game bro, egregiously bad product placement is just more fuel to the fire is all imsayin

bro

Salsa

man, first you say the game is 5 hours long (literally impossible to beat it in that time. I even beat it in one sitting almost and it took me 15 hours), then this is the type of "criticism" you have towards it..

yeah, im sorry for anyone who takes this advice against all the other people saying good things about it. Not saying someone couldn't like the game (heck I even said it's "not for everyone" in my recommendation) but if you're gonna put no effort on your write up on it other than saying "LOL SO SHALLOW MASHUP STEPHEN KING CHARACTER'S RETARDED HOLY SHIT PEOPLE R BUYING IT LOLOLOLOL" while at the same time saying it disappoints people with "excellent taste" (assuming you put yourself in that group) and failing at explaining why the gameplay is shallow or the story is awful then I dont know what to tell ya "bro"

justjim89

If anyone would be kind enough to gift me Alan Wake while it's on sale, I can gift you a game of equal value anytime after Monday.

My Steam name is the same as it is on here.

Thank you in advance?

Bentendo

What's the best Tomb Raider game?

Also, regarding the American Nightmare joke... meh. It doesn't really make me upset and definitely wouldn't prevent me from buying the game.

As someone who doesn't watch scary movies or play scary games, Alan Wake is the only mildly scary thing I've ever finished. I'd say it is just a tiny bit more scary than L4D but only because you are playing alone.

Levyne

Banned
I grabbed Guardian of Light and Anniversary. Both very fun so far. Hopefully level select options open up so I can snag the collectables.

Anniversary has very uncharted-esqe platforming, weird to play this after that series.

Just started Alan Wake for the first time tonight. Finish Episode 1 and wala! American nightmare gets slashed to $3.74. Bought.

Total:
From Dust - $3.74
AW: American Nightmare - $3.74

Waiting on:
Witcher 2!!
Metro 2033 $5 Please!
Skyrim maybe
Arkham City: Just found out there's not a GOTY edition for PC. WTF?

Demon Ice

Banned
Aaaand the Alan Wake franchise is my first purchase of the Summer Sale! Was gonna be Darkness II but SOMEHOW AC fucking Revelations won the community vote >:[

Aaaand the Alan Wake franchise is my first purchase of the Summer Sale! Was gonna be Darkness II but SOMEHOW AC fucking Revelations won the community vote >:[

The Darkness II is 75% off on Amazon and it can be activated on Steam. According to the Amazon Steam thread.

Edit: yeah, even Amazon says it's Steam activated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom