• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enticing...

image.php

I was going to start a separate thread for this called "Steam troubleshooting", but Neogaf tells me that my account does not have sufficient privileges...so, I'm going to post it here in hopes that in case anyone else is having the same trouble that I am, perhaps this will help them. Sorry to interrupt the sales talk!

As some of you remember, I posted earlier today about not being able to access the Steam sale or store.steampowered.com via my web browser.

When I visit these sites in the Steam client, I get something that looks like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37539643@N04/7563996350/in/photostream/lightbox/ ...that is two images pasted together...now, my client consistently brings up either a solid black screen or a screen like the one on the far right.

After doing more research, I noticed that the HTML files from store.steampowered.com DO load. However, the images and CSS sheets do not load. The screen looks mostly like in the Steam client, like nothing loaded, and through a web browser, the pages will get a title, but none of the images, text, etc will show up in the web browser. The web page just continues to load and never finishes (nothing ever shows up) until it finally times out.

So, after viewing this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1194981 I think I know the problem.

The site store.steampowered.com only loads the HTML. The graphics and CSS are pulled from two more servers. These additional servers are: cdn.steampowered.com and cdn.store.steampowered.com

In the Steam forums mentioned above, a user pinged one of these servers, and apparently, it went through servers as far and wide as Virginia and Hong Kong.

In other words, the store.steampowered.com server is fine. BUT, the servers that the images and CSS sheets (cdn.steampowered.com and cdn.store.steampowered.com) are stored on do not work at all. AT&T, in my city, has apparently blocked those sites or has a DNS problem with them.

If anyone else is having similar problems, I hope this helps them. I posted this on AT&T's support forums, but no word back from them yet. I also did a TON of stuff (clearing cache, changing dns server address to Google's, etc) before finally figuring out that it must be on my ISP's end. A variety of things can cause the issue that I'm having, but ISP's blocking certain server addesses can be part of the problem. Here is an example of an ISP fixing its trouble with Steam: http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/BT-vs-Steam/td-p/292193 I located that thread via Steam's support forums.

In my client, I cannot access the Store, Community, or News tabs. No images load at all. The HTML loads, but the CSS style sheets do not.

I had no idea that the Steam store page loaded from three different servers.

One last thing: This problem did not start until about noon today...when the servers were getting super-hammered from the sale. I wonder if server traffic is shifted to additional servers during that time, and perhaps a shift in servers caused this problem for me... It would seem that both my ISP and Valve could do something to fix this problem if there were so inclined.

Milamber

Yeah, I'll fully admit that I'm a little off on some things. Atmosphere in particular just does very little for me, I'm sure that's a big part of why I didn't like Alan Wake. As even as I'm not a fan of the game I did see that it had a really distinct feel, which was nice in an age of copy / paste clone games.
This game just helps me deal with the fact that there's no Deadly Premonition on PC.

45 minutes to go...do I cave and buy Legend of Grimrock. Hmm.

Grimrock is pretty damn good. I've only play this kind of 1st person dungeon crawling game once on psp, class of heroes or something and I hate it in that game, it's like I can see glimpses of fun, but it's covered with too many annoyances and difficulty that just make me hate it.

my biggest complaint, the turn based battle in that game is gone since Grimrock is more action oriented, if I play it right, I can survive enemy encounter losing just a little health, unlike that class of heroes game where it's all about stat and sometimes, I felt too much reliance on luck.

I can also save everywhere in this game, make me a bit more relaxed playing it, it felt like a kind of game I can just lose track of time playing.

I'll actually go ahead and put myself in the path of GAF's wrath and join in on the Alan Wake dislike. I mean, it's a killer sale, so go ahead and try if you are interested, but I found it to be honestly a pretty bad game. The atmosphere is nice and it has good usage of light and dark along with a story that is pretty good by video game standards. But the gameplay was just really bad. Very little variety with weapons, enemies or tactics. And it just dragged on endlessly for parts without any advancing in the story and nothing but endless seeming, subpar combat and repetitive environments. So yeah, I'm sure folks will enjoy it, especially if you like atmosphere, but I found it a pretty big waste of time. It's actually the game that got me on my new kick of not finishing games if they start to drag, when I finished Alan Wake I was just so annoyed in retrospect at feeling like I had to beat a game that was so long and unfun for so much of it.

No one'll bite you're head off for disliking it, I can see where you're coming from, I just still fell in love with the atmosphere. Though, I actually like the Combat, thought it felt pretty good and was a lot of fun. I can respect your opinion, especially since you actually took the time as to say why you didn't like it.

I think if you look at Alan Wake from primarily a gameplay perspective, it falls short.

For me the combat was simply a means to move the story forward, soak in more of the atmosphere, and further flesh out the characters.

the way you read the pages which told you what was going to happen later in the game (although you never knew exactly when) was just a home run for me. love love loved that concept, especially given your character is actually a horror writer.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Was kinda hoping Steam would have Amalur for sale but it would have to be for 75% off for the complete version with DLC since Best Buy will have a coupon making the retail version $10 and with Amazon having the DLC for $5 a piece I'm probably going to jump on that for essentially $20 Amalur complete.

firen

I know they are different types of games but Alan Wake (w/American Nightmare) or Assassins Creed Revelations? Both are ~$10-$15

Salsa

bro the story sucks because it's nothing but a string of suspense/horror movie cliches along with horrible horrible writing, I dunno maybe the horrible writing is done ironically as to parallel Stephen King; moreover it haslike the most annoying facet of bad fiction in a shit protagonist who's an idiot. Maybe if alan wake wasn't a jerk he'd realize that strapping on a lantern would make the bad guys go away.

wat

and I found the shooting to be enjoyable, even if it clearly isnt the main draw of the game at all and could see how someone might find it repetitive. American Nightmare focuses a lot more on improving that aspect.

joshwaan

I just want to say thanks heaps to wilflare, Cloudius12 , Xeno_Flux2113, for offering there services and helping me out :)

I've really enjoyed this steam sale this year very well done :)

bonesquad

Dungeons filled with hidden switches, traps, and loot. Do it.

Grimrock is pretty damn good. I've only play this kind of 1st person dungeon crawling game once on psp, class of heroes or something and I hate it in that game, it's like I can see glimpses of fun, but it's covered with too many annoyances and difficulty that just make me hate it.

my biggest complaint, the turn based battle in that game is gone since Grimrock is more action oriented, if I play it right, I can survive enemy encounter losing just a little health, unlike that class of heroes game where it's all about stat and sometimes, I felt too much reliance on luck.

I can also save everywhere in this game, make me a bit more relaxed playing it, it felt like a kind of game I can just lose track of time playing.

I dare yoh to find someone who bought it and regrets it. I dont think it would be easy. Go read the official thread.

That sounds like a challenge... With that and just watching the GB Legend of Grimrock quick look, I don't know how I didn't hear of this game until today. It looks great and right up my alley. Bought. And I grabbed the Isaac DLC for good measure.

Blizzard

Banned
Alan Wake's American Nightmare is the first game I've bought from the sale for myself (bought 75% off Shatter as a gift for someone else). Seems like 75% is a decent flash deal price for the Alan Wake sequel. I wonder if it will show up as a daily deal or if people really have to pay attention to catch the flash discounts?

Alan Wake is a great game. Probably one of the more cinematic and enjoyable games that I've played this entire generation. ...it has its faults, but overall, is a great, great game.

Hello? Is this thing on? Didn't anybody buy Space Marine? Little help here?

DLC is all fluff really, I bought it all when it was on sale a week or two ago. Single player is decent, I don't know much about the WH universe so I didn't have much knowledge going in, but the combat system is really solid and it's just a plain fun action game. The online Co-Op mode is a blast, it's essentially horde mode, and it's very challenging especially after a few waves. A great time. DLC gives you some cool weapons(nothing vital at all) and some cool looking costumes for your characters, I don't regret buying it, but you won't miss much by not buying it. The game itself though is a lot of fun.

I think if you look at Alan Wake from primarily a gameplay perspective, it falls short.

For me the combat was simply a means to move the story forward, soak in more of the atmosphere, and further flesh out the characters.

the way you read the pages which told you what was going to happen later in the game (although you never knew exactly when) was just a home run for me. love love loved that concept, especially given your character is actually a horror writer.

Yeah, the pages really add a lot to the game. You don't really have a clear perspective on the story as a whole until you find them. And I loved when it essentially told you something that happened, that hadn't happened yet, foreshadowing. It twas great.

I bought bioshock 2 like 2 years ago and have still not played it because it gets stuck in a never-ending gfwl update loop when I try to start it. Fuck that game.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I need to walk away from my computer. This steam shit is simply too much awesome going on at the same time.

Alice: Madness Returns, worth the 5$?

Andherewego.gif

In before eternally argument if Alice is good or complete shit.

I think it is both....kind of like Alan Wake. If you plan to play half of it only, and like checking out some nice graphics and art style, buy away. If you want a fun game experience and don't like putting up with bullshit, avoid, because the actual "game" parts are really boring and repetitive.

FUCKIN

Every game I had my eye on has gone on sale the past two days. I'll never be able to play them! I have a console game backlog thats just shameful, and my steam one has hundreds of games?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!

*buys Alice*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom