• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone having issues with using a Visa card and Steam? I keep getting issues with purchasing; however, I called the bank that issues my card and they're not seeing any attempts at a purchase. Also, I bought like five or so games/bundles yesterday and it was fine.

It started acting up last night.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
i already own 2 games in that bundle so a no go for me.

do i end up getting giftable copies since i own 2 games in there already?

Nope. Getting giftable copies when you buy a pack containing something you already own only happens when the publisher specifically wants it to happen, and I think most publishers just don't bother. With a pack full of mixed content and no actual publisher, it's basically guaranteed that won't happen. :(

neoism

Keep in mind kids, that the reason Ys Origin is more expensive than Ys: Oath, even though it's on flash sale, is because the MSRP is $5 higher.

And really, how would you feel if you missed out on a sweeeeeet game because you were hoping to save like $2? Pretty bad. What would you use that $2 for anyway? Some shit you don't even need, because it has nothing to do with Ys. Fuck you. Whoever you are.

lol origin is 3d and Oath is sprite right?

moojito

Damn, these flash deals are annoying. They should add something to steam where if a game is on your wishlist and it's a flash deal, it messages your phone or emails you or something.

LiK

Nope. Getting giftable copies when you buy a pack containing something you already own only happens when the publisher specifically wants it to happen, and I think most publishers just don't bother. With a pack full of mixed content and no actual publisher, it's basically guaranteed that won't happen. :(

dang it. guess i'll wait

REV 09

vanilla Alan Wake is so much better than American Nightmare...oh how I've missed you. Been playing the dlc episodes that I never got around to on 360. The atmosphere and story are so intriguing...and in this universe pistols and shotguns are fine. M16s and Uzis were a little much in AN.

Razek

Banned
Yes. I like it so much that I incorporated it into my Spreadsheet!

So far I've spent 39 usd and saved 119!

So far I've bought 4 big games with for less than dead island (which I should have waited on) two weeks ago. I can't tell if I should feel ripped off about DI or overjoyed at how much I am getting here.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Are the Ys games straight up Zelda clones with dungeons and an overworld and secret caves? Because I want me some of that.

No, Ys is Zelda if Link grew some balls and just hacked up motherfuckers like errrryyyday. And fucking... there's lots of exploration, but no puzzle solving. Because that would be for nerds.

Roto13

Speaking of Pixeljunk Eden a little earlier, i noticed i don't have that game in my Steam collection yet and it's 80% off!!

I adored PJ Monsters and liked PJ Shooter, this is totally different though right? Would you guys recommend it?

Keep in mind this is NOT about price anymore obviously ("just get it, it's dirt cheap) but more about investing precious gaming TIME into it...

Eden is really good. I've played all of the PixelJunk games and, after Shooter 1 and 2, it's my favourite. I double dipped, even. Got it on PS3 and then later on PC.

bigace33

Even though I've owned L4D2 since I joined steam in 2010, I voted for it as I have yet to play through the campaign. Hoping if enough new people buy it I may can find some co-op with newbs like myself. I don't need vets getting frustrated with my lack of skill and kicking me from games and such. :^(

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
You know whats crazy? That high you get when you realize how much your saving while buying. While your getting games, it's like the sale is a game in itself. It has a pleasure factor for playing (buying) and is incredibly rewarding when you look back and see how much content you have obtained for so little monetary consumption. You could probably write a psych paper on why it's addicting.

I would guess there have already been a billion psych and marketing papers written on it. It's basically one of the pillars of the entire sales industry we're currently in.

vanilla Alan Wake is so much better than American Nightmare...oh how I've missed you. Been playing the dlc episodes that I never got around to on 360. The atmosphere and story are so intriguing...and in this universe pistols and shotguns are fine. M16s and Uzis were a little much in AN.

All these people talking about Alan Wake are making me sad I didn't jump on it. Can anyone describe the atmosphere to me a little? is it creepy??

Thrakier

GUZ WE HAZ CONFIRMATION at least that a game can be community choice AND daily deal. I hope it's the same for flash deals. Still waiting for a better Rayman deal than 50%. :(

My friend has a theory to explain the rather substandard feel (by Valve's standards) of this Steam Sale. He thinks that the original plan was to do a sale more in keeping with what we've come to expect (see Stumpokapow's post) during the Olympics. It was only when Valve's competitors beat them to the punch, and after the Steam community grew so impatient, that the decision was made to have the sale on the 12th.

I think that they are just too busy preparing Steam greenlight.

neoism

One mo ? guys...
I bought Ys 7 and totally got stuck because I thought I was cool, and high at the time, and I chose hard for the difficult... is there a way to change that. Also which of the Ys on steam have an easy mode... I'm not looking for a really hard game ...

vareon

This is a great bundle if you don't have any of the games. My problem is I have Gemini Rue, and, while I know Audiosurf is a good game, it's not the sort of thing I'll put any time into.

So, can you sell me on Tiny Bang Story and/or Greed Corp? Otherwise I'll just pick up Oath on the last day by itself.

Tiny Bang Story is a nice, very relaxing game with beautiful artwork and music. The puzzle is not that outstanding but I loved the overall atmosphere.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, can you sell me on Tiny Bang Story and/or Greed Corp? Otherwise I'll just pick up Oath on the last day by itself.

Greed Corp is an interesting electronic board game that's about half-way between Catan and Risk in terms of how it plays. It's on a tile-based grid, and each tile has resources that you can exploit, the more you exploit the tile, the closer it becomes to dropping off the board completely. It's fun, but there's not much of an online community so unfortunately you won't be able to enjoy it to its full extent.

Tiny Bang Story is a hybrid point-and-click adventure game *sighs* hidden object game. If you don't like hunting and clicking, well, you might as well stop here. It's got a really neat, sort of "bizarre" world design with strange creatures and buildings. I guess the two things I'd cite would be Monty Python and Machinarium, but it's more brightly coloured than each. The thing I liked the most was how lush the world design was, very bright colours and lots of plants everywhere! There are conventional puzzles, it's not a hidden object game entirely. I had a good time with it. It lasts about 4 hours, maybe 3-3.5.

I do recommend both. I'm not sure if these recommendations are enthusiastic enough to make you bridge the game between a $5 Oath and a $10 Indie pack. Hope this helped.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
One mo ? guys...
I bought Ys 7 and totally got stuck because I thought I was cool, and high at the time, and I chose hard for the difficult... is there a way to change that. Also which of the Ys on steam have an easy mode... I'm not looking for a really hard game ...

Both have several difficulties, including easy modes.

REV 09

All these people talking about Alan Wake are making me sad I didn't jump on it. Can anyone describe the atmosphere to me a little? is it creepy??
It's almost guaranteed to be a daily. It's not Amnesia creepy but it'll keep you on your toes. I just like the balance between story and atmosphere. Objects can become possessed and attack you which is also less traditional.

1-D_FTW

GUZ WE HAZ CONFIRMATION at least that a game can be community choice AND daily deal. I hope it's the same for flash deals. Still waiting for a better Rayman deal than 50%. :(

*fist bump*

That was a trollish price they had on it.

I anxiously await a better deal. Not only because I'll buy it then, but for all the rage that'll follow.

Greed Corp is an interesting electronic board game that's about half-way between Catan and Risk in terms of how it plays. It's on a tile-based grid, and each tile has resources that you can exploit, the more you exploit the tile, the closer it becomes to dropping off the board completely. It's fun, but there's not much of an online community so unfortunately you won't be able to enjoy it to its full extent.

Tiny Bang Story is a hybrid point-and-click adventure game *sighs* hidden object game. If you don't like hunting and clicking, well, you might as well stop here. It's got a really neat, sort of "bizarre" world design with strange creatures and buildings. I guess the two things I'd cite would be Monty Python and Machinarium, but it's more brightly coloured than each. The thing I liked the most was how lush the world design was, very bright colours and lots of plants everywhere! There are conventional puzzles, it's not a hidden object game entirely. I had a good time with it. It lasts about 4 hours, maybe 3-3.5.

I do recommend both. I'm not sure if these recommendations are enthusiastic enough to make you bridge the game between a $5 Oath and a $10 Indie pack. Hope this helped.

It should be noted you're in a small minority on Greed Corp. I have nothing against the game, just could never get into it. Went and checked my friends list to compare playtimes. 23 own it. High man on the list has played it 2.7 hours. Two other people have broken the 1 hour mark. The other 20 are below 1 hour. So it's the ultimate YMMV.

Wok

I have played both games (I got Greed Corp thanks to JaseC). I confirm this guy knows the games and gives proper pieces of advice.

bigace33

Not to sound like a Johnny cheap skate, but Binding of Issac, what is it like, a Legend of Zelda type game. I mean like the original zelda. That's the vibe I'm getting. It's either get that or go to MacDonalds and get a Large diet coke. Diet Coke or Binding of Issac? Which is the better dollar spent?

Tomodachi

Yp6QU.png

MY LIFE IS RUINED. RUINED!

Wok

Not to sound like a Johnny cheap skate, but Binding of Issac, what is it like, a Legend of Zelda type game. I mean like the original zelda. That's the vibe I'm getting. It's either get that or go to MacDonalds and get a Large diet coke. Diet Coke or Binding of Issac? Which is the better dollar spent?

Do you like strangely insane characters and environments?
Are you thirsty?

MY LIFE IS RUINED. RUINED!

Same timezone here, Mr. Sverige.

Protip: connect at 8h50 and stay up until 9h05. Then connect at 19h05. You won't miss anything.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It should be noted you're in a small minority on Greed Corp. I have nothing against the game, just could never get into it. Went and checked my friends list to compare playtimes. 23 own it. High man on the list has played it 2.7 hours. Two other people have broken the 1 hour mark. The other 20 are below 1 hour. So it's the ultimate YMMV.

Some of this is related to the fact that Greed Corp was a winter achievement, so a lot of people booted it up, played the tutorial, and turned it off.

Dark, spooky, pacific northwest (Washington State / BC). Gigantic redwoods and evergreens. Fog. Sleepy town. More unsettling than anything.

I will say that the game itself was less scary than I thought it would be because a) The enemy variety is low and eventually you just get used to it, and b) The game has a really stupid habit of telegraphing things that are about to happen, so you never really et the full impact of them.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
God fucking dammit Steam. After putting 18+ hours on Felghana I don't know if I'm ready for another Ys overdose. Guess I'll buy this one but I'll put it on my inventory.

Exuro

But the daily/community deal for portal 2 would be the same price, so I highly doubt they would have a second, lower on a previous short term sale.

HoosTrax

The combat is Zelda-like, but the overall structure of the game is it's a rogue-like. Randomly generated dungeon each time, permadeath, and you basically have to work with what the games decides to give you to try to make it as far down into the dungeon as you can. Some runs, the game's RNG will give you some seriously OP items, other times, you have to scrape by.

neoism

Ys Origins get... waiting for Oath to go lower... Thanks for the comments guys.. : <3
This steam sale has beeen great this is the first time I bought this many games...

This is a great bundle if you don't have any of the games. My problem is I have Gemini Rue, and, while I know Audiosurf is a good game, it's not the sort of thing I'll put any time into.

If you have friends that play it, greed corp is fucking phenomenal. You can you four pack for a pittance, though, and it is realy ony fun multiplayer (way it is meant to be played).

Basically it is a fairly simple turn based strategy board style game where you drill and destroy the earth. Use money you earn from drilling to buy planes (to escape crumbling land and move to safe land), turrets (shoot other players land) and land walkers. But when you drill, it gradually destroys the ties you are standing on (indicates how many turns) and every tile the drill is touching.

The ground is lilterally crumbing beneath everyone's feet. The last mah standing on the remaini pg ground wins. Its a riot mulitplayer. Especially if you have self destructive friends. ;)

I bough a 4 pack last year to share with friends. We STILL play it all the time. It s terrific. Nothing else on steam remotely like it.

Roubjon

I bought Ys Origin and I'm going to buy Ys Oath in Felghana when I know it's at the lowest price. I own the PSP version, but I've never beaten it so I might as well just buy it for $5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom