• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
2.5 days in and only 24 bucks down. I'm failing miserably at not spending money, but I still feel alright about it.

Ys Origin impressions here really sold me. Looking forward to playing that some; it really looks like my kind of game. I almost bought Oath a few weeks back, but managed to resist that temptation somehow. I can't imagine that game NOT going on some flash/daily sale before it's all said and done, and since I haven't slept 8 full hours in years, I think I can catch them all.

Ultimadrago

Only if you can overlook the ropey platforming.

And how the levels drag on in the final stretch.

It's a game with pleasing visual aesthetics, but it is quite flawed in level design (and story presentation towards the end).

That said, for five bucks, I see no harm in purchasing it.

Firebrand

If I buy an indie bundle and put it in my inventory, I assume it's just one item, or could I activate just the games I want from it?

Gaspode_T

Isaac really really sucks with mouse, imagine playing a super hard NES Zelda with a mouse, that is basically what it is...not having controller support is pretty darn lame with that one.

Megasoum

Banned
Question about Hard Reset...

Where does the games end and where does the new DLC start? Everybody is saying that the is super short. I just killed Atlas so it seams like it would be a good end point for the base game... is that it?

How chatty is Origins?

Intro is about on par with Oath (by which it'll take half an hour for you to get anywhere) and there's a cutscene at the end of each level that'll take ten or so minutes, but travel time to and from cutscenes are cut-out wholesale. Overall, less talk than Oath, still enough to piss off the impatient.

Tiny Bang Story is a nice, very relaxing game with beautiful artwork and music. The puzzle is not that outstanding but I loved the overall atmosphere.

Greed Corp is an interesting electronic board game that's about half-way between Catan and Risk in terms of how it plays. It's on a tile-based grid, and each tile has resources that you can exploit, the more you exploit the tile, the closer it becomes to dropping off the board completely. It's fun, but there's not much of an online community so unfortunately you won't be able to enjoy it to its full extent.

Tiny Bang Story is a hybrid point-and-click adventure game *sighs* hidden object game. If you don't like hunting and clicking, well, you might as well stop here. It's got a really neat, sort of "bizarre" world design with strange creatures and buildings. I guess the two things I'd cite would be Monty Python and Machinarium, but it's more brightly coloured than each. The thing I liked the most was how lush the world design was, very bright colours and lots of plants everywhere! There are conventional puzzles, it's not a hidden object game entirely. I had a good time with it. It lasts about 4 hours, maybe 3-3.5.

I do recommend both. I'm not sure if these recommendations are enthusiastic enough to make you bridge the game between a $5 Oath and a $10 Indie pack. Hope this helped.

Thanks for the info. Tiny Bang looks like something I would enjoy, Greed Corp, not so much. At this point I'll probably just pick up Ys and Tiny Bang separately and save a few bucks since I can't give away the duplicate of Gemini Rue.

BuhpX.png

Gotta love a game that is so lazy that it instead tells you to just install a third party application if you want controller support...

the game plays fine with keyboard =/ now SMB that game was impossible with keyboard...

Prelithe

Yeah, although I don't know why McMillen didn't just work with Tommy Refenes on modifying the SMB engine to accommodate a game of BoI's style.

Yeah. One thing that put me off the game was the controls, I just can't get into it. But if you watched Indie Game: The Movie, you kinda see why Tommy didn't want to do another game so quickly after SMB.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
perhaps my post was lost in the shuffle

Anybody want L4D2 for $5.00* right now instead of maybe in six hours?

*price of Alice for the next 30 minutes

Koroviev

Intro is about on par with Oath (by which it'll take half an hour for you to get anywhere) and there's a cutscene at the end of each level that'll take ten or so minutes, but travel time to and from cutscenes are cut-out wholesale. Overall, less talk than Oath, still enough to piss off the impatient.

Really? I thought Oath was supposed to be one of the more taciturn entries in the series. I like my arcadey action games to be straight and to-the-point.

Rayman Origins?

Ys, lol

Takuan

PAYDAY: Heist group just opened up again. Need 1 more. First to PM & send money gets it.
Nevermind. Thanks to harrytang & wilflare for making this happen.

Yeah. One thing that put me off the game was the controls, I just can't get into it. But if you watched Indie Game: The Movie, you kinda know why Tommy didn't want to do another game so quickly after SMB.

I think it was an error for both parts not being the two at Edmunds home in the final moments of the develpment and the release. If Tommy would have been at that time with Edmund and his wife, and after the release going out to celebrate with some drinks, he would have been much better.

so Alice is a platformer right? is it good and challenging or just kind of easy?
As a platformer, kind of easy. Its attributes are its story, characters and art design. Theres some challenge looking for some of the optional collectibles, but aside from that and some fights is really easy.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ed wanted to rapidly develop a game, and Flash is an easy tool to make a game very quickly.

Yeah, that was my first thought, but nonetheless, given the nature of the game, going down the avenue that denies native controller support still strikes me as a tad odd.

Oh well.

Yeah. One thing that put me off the game was the controls, I just can't get into it. But if you watched Indie Game: The Movie, you kinda know why Tommy didn't want to do another game so quickly after SMB.

I've been meaning to. One of the days I'll get around to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom