• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
List of big discount games posted on the steam forums -

- 75% off or more -

- Alpha Prime - 75% (Reviews done before needed patch. Players enjoyed it)
- Altitude - 75%
- And Yet It Moves - 75%
- A.R.E.S.: Extinction Agenda - 75%
- Audiosurf - 75%
- Avencast - 75%
- Aztaka - 75%
- Bard's Tale - 75%
- Blades of Time - 75%
- Broken Sword Series - 75%
- Call of Juarez - 75% (Discount depends on region)
- Cargo: A Quest for Gravity - 75%
- Choplifter HD - 75%
- Chrome Pack - 75%
- Commandos Collection - 75%
- Cradle Bundle (3 games) - 75% (Puzzle and Hidden Object games)
- Critical Mass - 75% (Puzzle)
- Dark Fall: Lost Souls - 75%
- DCS Blackshark - 75% (Flight Sim)
- Delve Deeper - 75%
- Dejobaan Complete Pack (4 games + 1 DLC) - 75%
- Delve Deeper - 75% (DLC 76%)
- Diamond Dan - 75%
- Eschalon: Books 1 & 2 - 75% each (Personal Favorite)
- Gish - 75%
- Grand Ages: Rome - 75%
- Grotesque Tactics Series - 75% (Players enjoyed it, critics did not)
- Hard Reset: Extended Edition - 75% (Includes new DLC for free)
- Heroes of Annihilated Empires - 75%
- Hydrophobia - 75%
- Ion Assault - 75%
- Inside a Star-Filled Sky - 75%
- Jagged Alliance 2 Gold - 75%
- Kohan Series - 75% (Recommend only Ahriman's Gift and Kings of War)
- Larva Mortus - 75%
- Legend of Fae - 75%
- Monster Trucks Nitro - 75%
- Nation Red - 75%
- Naval Warfare - 75%
- Night Sky - 75%
- Nimbus - 75%
- Order of War - 75%
- Penumbra Series - 75%
- PixelJunk Eden - 80%
- Plain Sight - 75%
- Post Mortem - 75%
- Project Aftermath - 75%
- Project Freedom - 75% (Very Cheap!)
- Puzzle Indie Pack (4 games) - 75% (Meridian 4 Pack includes these games)
- Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood - 75% (Check forums for compatibility fixes)
- Scratches: Director's Cut - 75%
- Saira - 75%
- Section 8: Prejudice - 75% (Multiplayer)
- Shatter - 75%
- "Shooter" Series (Alien and Zombie) - 75%
- Solar 2 - 75%
- Star Ruler - 75%
- Starscape- 75%
- Stellar Impact - 75% (MOBA)
- Still Life Series - 75%
- Syberia - 75%
- The Maw - 75%
- The Ship* - 75% (Comes with two extra gift copies)
- The Tiny Bang Story - 75%
- Time Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There, Dan That! - 80%
- Trials 2 - 75%
- Trino - 75%
- Wings of Prey - 75%
- World of Goo - 75%
- Xotic - 75%

Stuff I recommend getting.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Damage so far

Ys Origin 7.99
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 4.99
Half Life 1 2.49

Kinda want Dead Island but I think I can wait for a better sale.

People who need to refer to their Steam sale purchases as 'ZOMG DAMAGE!!!' need to stop.

You're buying the stuff you are/aren't going to play. You are responsible for how you spend your money. If you can't control yourself, seek professional help.

Jeez Mr. Buzzkill, people are just having fun!

PM me to ensure you're in and get my paypal info. One spoken for--I have room for 2 more people. First come first serve. $7.65 USD.

Enjoy! (don't forget to give me your SteamID!)

EDIT: All gone.

1-D_FTW

I see Dirt 2 is 75% off at $5 and Dirt 3 is 50% off at $25.

I am going to wait on Dirt 3 for a potential Daily deal for less, but how do the 2 compare? I heard that Dirt 3 had some stupid events and that lead for them to make Showdown, to put all the dumb events into one game.

How much of a graphical/physics improvement is Dirt 3 over Dirt 2?

Already answered, but only thing 3 > 2 in is stereoscopic 3D. If you don't game in 3D, Dirt 2 is superior in every way, shape, and form.

Addnan

Had a budget of £20, not going to plan.

Plants vs. Zombies £1.74
Star Wars: KOTOR £1.74
Skyrim £17.37
Sonic Generations £6.79
Binding of Isaac Bundle £1.73
Trine 2 2.99
Saints Row: The Third £7.49
Eufloria £2.25
Audiosurf £1.49
Serious Sam 3 BFE £2.55
PixelJunk Eden + Soundtrack £2.20

£48.34

and apparently I own Frozen Synapse. hmmm. Don't remember getting that.

Rflagg

How does KOTOR play on Windows 7? Also, has there been any additional info on whether the rumored KOTOR 1 and 2 pack is a real thing? I've wanted to get KOTOR 1 for a while but would wait if that pack gives me both games and is better optimized

Works great for me (windows 7 64 home) and I went ahead and got the patch.
I only had one time in 40+ hours playing it where it froze and that was before I got the patch.

Thinking about Skyrim as I loved fallout 3/new Vegas, but then again I have never really been able to get into an Elder Scrolls game before. I am leaning towards waiting for winter sale as I have a bit of backlog and am still holding out hope for a daily deal on civ 5 goty.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked up Super Meat Boy for $3.74. I'm wondering if Borderlands GOTY is worth it at $5.61 (2 of the DLC's have SecuROM, so unless someone guarantees me it won't mess up my machine I won't be activating those), if I should pick up the base version at $3.74, or entirely pass on it, as I don't have anyone to play online with.

kswiston

I wonder why indie sale prices are almost uniformly higher this time around. lots of 25-50% off stuff on the non-daily catalogue. The list of non-daily 75%+ sales is way smaller than in previous Steam sales. Also, we aren't getting 75% very often on titles that weren't steeply discounted in previous sales. Legend of Grimrock is a good example. I bought it for 60% off during the daily, but that is the sort of game we would have seen for 75% off in previous sales (see Super Meat Boy, Limbo, Orcs Must Die, Torchlight, etc, etc).

yogloo

I'd suggest playing the Tropico 4 demo, if you haven't already, before buying it. My girlfriend was a fan of the series and regretted buying it for whatever reason.
Huh. Oh wow. Did they change the formula?
Thanks for the heads up. Any opinion on borderlands? dLC worth it?

I only use my wishlist to either a. get the sale achievement or b. Just a hey remember and keep track of this stuff that you saw once.

I'm worried people will look at my like 60 game long wishlist and judge me :(

jph139

How is the PC version of Mirror's Edge? I'm torn between that and Assassin's Creed (if they go on sale of course)... DRM, performance, KB+M playability?

Lyude77

So far:

SpaceChem
Legend of Grimrock
Ys Origins

I'm considering getting the Frozen Synapse DLC, but I own a non-Steam version of Frozen Synapse. How could I get it to work?

Is it worth getting Borderlands if I have never played it before and I don't have anyone to play it with?

I say no, just wait for Borderlands 2. I loved Borderlands, but I think 2 will be much better.

Woke up, added a bunch of stuff to the cart and then on the last stage of checkout:
Code:
An unexpected error has occurred. Your purchase has not been completed.
Please contact Steam Support.
Have been retrying for the last 5 minutes. Is this some problem on my end? :(

Had this last night. Lasted for hours. Woke up today and it was better. Luckly had 45 minutes left on American Nightmare, so I was happy.

Aru

Tried to buy Ys Origin. I tried to use PayPal but the payment was refused by PayPal saying the product cannot be shipped to my country. Tried to return to the Steam Page via the button on the PayPal page. My order stayed on waiting status or something and it was eventually cancelled because the payment failed.
Now I can't buy it again. Every time I click on the button on the payment information on Steam, I keep getting an error saying that the initialization failed, and it told me to wait a minute before retry or contact steam support.

Well, I guess I won't buy this game for now :/

1-D_FTW

I wonder why indie sale prices are almost uniformly higher this time around. lots of 25-50% off stuff on the non-daily catalogue. The list of non-daily 75%+ sales is way smaller than in previous Steam sales. Also, we aren't getting 75% very often on titles that weren't steeply discounted in previous sales. Legend of Grimrock is a good example. I bought it for 60% off during the daily, but that is the sort of game we would have seen for 75% off in previous sales (see Super Meat Boy, Limbo, Orcs Must Die, Torchlight, etc, etc).

Probably their new economist experimenting to see just how much we're willing to pay. If this results in more revenue, welcome to the future. If it results in less, they'll be changes.

Nabs

How is the PC version of Mirror's Edge? I'm torn between that and Assassin's Creed (if they go on sale of course)... DRM, performance, KB+M playability?

It's incredible. KB/M feels great, the game looks wonderful, and it runs well. (Mirrors Edge)

I didn't care for Ass Creed 1.

Pyccko

The wallet and the damage done:

Alan Wake + American Nightmare
Alice: Madness Returns
Audiosurf
Binding of Isaac
Bit.Trip Beat
Bit.Trip Runner
Botanicula (indie bundle 2)
Deus Ex: HR
E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy (indie bundle 2)
Half Life 2 et al.
Max Payne
Max Payne 2
Oil Rush (indie bundle 2)
Splice (indie bundle 2)
Star Wars: KotoR
Terraria
Trine 2
Universe Sandbox (indie bundle 2)
Uplink
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Wizorb
Zeno Clash

Total: $84.45

Ugh. In my defense, I hadn't had a viable gaming PC in about ten years before I got a new one a month ago, so I may have splurged a bit.

People who need to refer to their Steam sale purchases as 'ZOMG DAMAGE!!!' need to stop.

You're buying the stuff you are/aren't going to play. You are responsible for how you spend your money. If you can't control yourself, seek professional help.

But professional help would take same amount of the money, maybe more, and won't add to my Steam library. Although it has achievements.

Zebra

List of big discount games posted on the steam forums -

- 75% off or more -

- tons of fucking games

ib2Fs.jpg

I will finally get World of Goo.

Is Call of Juarez any good? I'm also considering PixelJunk Eden. Yes? No?

Tropico, just buy the game and modern times or the bundle? Modern times requires vanilla to run right?
Borderlands, dlc worth it?

Borderlands DLC is the best DLC of the generation. Well, except maybe The Underdome, but the other 3 give you as much content as the original game and Knox and Claptrap Revolution are just awesome.

'ZOMG DAMAGE!!!' so far:

Alice Madness Returns
Darksiders
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Half Life Complete
Portal 2
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Tomb Raider Legend
Tomb Raider Underworld

lettermassing

Neo Member
So far,

Max Payne 3 - £15
Alan Wake - £5
Street Fighter IV AE - £5

Want to buy Ys but I'm thinking about holding out for a Witcher 2 sale. Does anyone want to trade anything for a copy of Portal? I have two for some reason.

Katoki

Oh god. It's 8:13 AM here and I've just gotten up and I feel like I'm treading into dangerous waters today.

Tropico 4, Orcs Must Die, Two Worlds II and Ys Origin right off the bat. Any advice?

Speaking of which, I'm assuming everyone wants L4D2 for the vote? I skimmed the last 5 pages but nothing really registered, too early.

Helmholtz

So far I've bought:

Deus Ex HR ($7.49) - A little LTTP on this, but there was a lot of positive word of mouth on GAF so I decided to check it out at that price.
Binding of Isaac WoL ($0.74) - Binding of Isaac is a pretty good game, played it quite a bit earlier in the year. Not sure if I'll ever dive back into it, but if I do I might as well have the expansion when it's less than a dollar.
Trine 2 ($3.74) - Never completely finished Trine 1, but I enjoyed it enough. I've played about 4-5 hours of Trine 2 so far, and my god it's nice looking. The gameplay is somewhat unchanged, but definitely a little more polished. They removed some of the annoying things that were in Trine 1 like mana. Definitely recommend co-op, as that's how I've been playing it. I think Trine 1's lack of online co-op is what kept me from finishing it, but the sequel fixes this.
Plants VS. Zombies ($2.50) - Apparently everybody already has this, but I didn't. I've actually played it before, several years ago I think, and I really liked it. Might as well have it on Steam.

The only other thing I'm really planning on buying is Arma 2 so I can check out the Day Z mod, but I'm holding out for a flash/daily sale before I buy it. Other than that I might buy a 2-4 dollar game here or there if it's worth checking out.

Also, if you haven't played Super Meat Boy - BUY IT. It's under $4 right now I think, and worth every penny. You kind of need a controller to play it properly though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom