• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phinor

Anyone currently available for either £15 or $22.49 Max Payne 3 gifting? I need my daily fix and nothing of interest so far today.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So I know it is hammered into us to not get anything that isn't on a daily deal usually, but are we allowed to buy the flash sales too? lol.

Yeah, flash deals and community deals follow the same rule as dailies, they're all good.

In case you didn't catch my edit:
Ah crap, that's a pretty nice pack. How's Gemini Rue suppose to be? I've been eying it for sometime now.

Haven't played it, but I've heard it's really good.

Palehorse

Ah crap, that's a pretty nice pack. How's Gemini Rue suppose to be? I've been eying it for sometime now.

Gemini Rue is quite good I thought. The puzzles made sense, nothing too hard. The story was decent as well. Probably 5-6 hours of play.

I bought it at full price and didn't feel like I should have paid less, so getting it on sale is bonus!

It's amazing. Amazing in every aspect, except maybe one silly character portrait near the end of the game. But it's really, really good. Like a cross of Cowboy Bebop and Blade Runner.

randomkid

FWIW Oath is in one of the daily indie bundles (day 5). So it's 5 games for $10.

The other games in the bundle that day are:
- Gemini Rue (recommended)
- Tiny Bang Story (recommended)
- Greed Corp (mildly recommended)
- Audiosurf (recommended)

Man, why did you have to point this out. The bundles have been terrible so far but this one's more targeted to me, the big three here are all ones I've wanted to try.

I have this controller:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046ZQ022/?tag=neogaf0e-20

But it only seems to work right with like 1/3 of the PC games I ever get. I wish some GAF person hadn't recommended it, I got it for like $11 thinking it would be a nice gateway into PC gaming for me but it mainly causes headaches and annoyances, I hope I can get it to work with these games but fiddling around fills me with dread. Is there an easy way for me to check to see if I'm in the clear? Google is kind of a mess with this stuff.

So people that have played Tropico 4.
Differences bettwen 3 (the one I have) and 4? Better or worse? Constrution options to make the island of your dreams?
Do I need the modern times DLC?, seems a little bit shitty without it.

So people that have played Tropico 4.
Differences bettwen 3 (the one I have) and 4? Better or worse?
Do I need the modern times DLC?, seems a little bit shitty without it.

Better UI and the quest system makes the game more playable. Modern Times add many new buildings and features and a nice campaign. I'd say buy both.

I got Ys: Origin anyway, just so I won't regret missing the deal haha
So far:

Portal 2 -------- 4.99
Lara Croft GOL 3.74
Ys Origin -------7.99
Total----------16.72

metalshade

This is my first steam sale, I am about to build my first PC by myself.

As such, so far I have:
Half-Life Complete
Deus Ex Collection
Portal 2
Portal

My wishlist:
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Transformers: War for Cybertron
Ys Origin
Far Cry
Beyond Good & Evil
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Borderlands
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Fallout: New Vegas

I have so much catching up to do guys!
Edit. Add me if you like: metalshade01

Firebrand

Man, why did you have to point this out. The bundles have been terrible so far but this one's more targeted to me, the big three here are all ones I've wanted to try.

I have this controller:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046ZQ022/?tag=neogaf0e-20

But it only seems to work right with like 1/3 of the PC games I ever get. I wish some GAF person hadn't recommended it, I got it for like $11 thinking it would be a nice gateway into PC gaming for me but it mainly causes headaches and annoyances, I hope I can get it to work with these games but fiddling around fills me with dread. Is there an easy way for me to check to see if I'm in the clear? Google is kind of a mess with this stuff.
If the issue is that it's not XInput / 360 controller compatible, check out x360ce. The lack of analog triggers might an issue in certain games, still.

Eternia

Very solid adventure game. I found the voice acting to be passable with an interesting story and great atmosphere. Mechanics seemed to work quite well but it does get a little pixel hunty at certain points.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Stuff I've bought

-Indie Bundle 3 $9.99
-Portal 2 $4.99
-Gish $2.49
-From Dust $3.74
-Rayman Origins $14.99
-Patricians and Merchants Bundle $2.99

Gifts:

-The Legend of Grimrock $5.99
-Payday: The Heist: $4.99
-Terraria: $2.49

So a little bit over $50 so far. I'm trying to stay below $100 for the total sale, but it doesn't look likely.
Choplifter HD my good man. It's fun and only 2.50 right now!

Struct09

Should I just buy the Witcher 2 for $24? I feel like it won't go lower since it was a (missed) community choice.

Ys Origin was a missed community choice, and it's now a flash sale. There's no reason you shouldn't wait until the final day to see if Witcher 2 goes further on sale.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Going to grab Ys Origin on the flash deal, and I'm probably going to go ahead and grab Oath as well. I already own all the other stuff in the bundle Oath will be in in a few days.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
This is my first steam sale, I am about to build my first PC by myself.

As such, so far I have:
Half-Life Complete
Deus Ex Collection
Portal 2
Portal

My wishlist:
Ys Origin
Far Cry
Beyond Good & Evil
Borderlands

You're the first person I've seen in this thread to include "my first Steam sale" that wasn't followed by a long list of games that haven't had a daily/flash/community sale. Well done!

And you might as well buy the Borderlands GOTY and scratch that off your wishlist!

Razek

Banned
Max Payne is fucking fantastic. So glad I waited, it's not the different game the shitty PR made methink it might be.
Is Dead Island ok as single player only?

I had fun with it but knew it would have been so much better with more people. Because of this I got bored about ~10 hours in.

Forbiden

Ys Origin was a missed community choice, and it's now a flash sale. There's no reason you shouldn't wait until the final day to see if Witcher 2 goes further on sale.

Wait, are you sure? I don't recall Ys Origin being up for voting in any of the past community choice polls.

My wishlist:
Ys Origin
Far Cry
Beyond Good & Evil
Borderlands

Are you waiting for it to go lower? It's currently at 7.99, a great price for the game if you ask me.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
CHOPLISTER FOR TWO AND ONE HALF UNITED STATES DOLLARS - BUY BUY BUY

Bit on KOTOR for 2.50. I missed on the sale last time. This time I'm not going to be a bitch.

Liquid is nobodies bitch!

Might want to be careful advertising the sale of 4 pack deals. Didn't somoene on reddit get banned for soliciting the sale of games circumventing regional restrictions?

In other news, Rayman is delightful (shock horror, someone playing games)

What happens if you build a competitive online shooter and no one shows up?

People showed up, problem was the game they bought. Brink was a paid beta basically. What potential community they could have had, vanished in a couple of weeks.

Also, I don't know if they ever got the game properly working for AMD/ATi users.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
how big are the chances for emergency 2012 hitting a daily/flash deal?

Absolutely 0. The game was basically targeted at Europe only. Although it is available in the US, it doesn't have any artwork on Steam on your wish list for example. It's a totally neglected title. It will not be a daily deal.

I gifted it to Kabouter a few years ago and thought the same thing then, hahahah.

kswiston

I think the only big thing I was hoping to grab during this sale that I will miss out on is Heroes of Might and Magic VI. I skipped the game for $25 during the winter sale, so I am not paying that price 7 months later. Hopefully by the next winter sale it will either get a steeper discount or a MSRP price cut. $15 is the most I am willing to spend on it and $10 would be ideal.

Almost bought the ubisoft pack, but decided against it. I wish Ubi games dropped in price quicker and didn't often have horrible DRM...

An-Det

To my surprise, my roommate bought the Payday: The Heist 4-pack and gifted the three extras to myself and two of our friends. I wanted it but didn't buy it myself since I've enough to play at the moment, but I can't say no to fun coop with friends.

metalshade

You're the first person I've seen in this thread to include "my first Steam sale" that wasn't followed by a long list of games that haven't had a daily/flash/community sale. Well done!

And you might as well buy the Borderlands GOTY and scratch that off your wishlist!

I thought I might as well break the cycle lol.
I have actually put over 400 hours into Borderlands on the 360, but I am considering double-dipping as I will sell my 360 when my gaming rig is complete.

AlexBasch

Sort of a long shot, but if someone wants to buy Tropico 4 and is hosting a Dead Island 4-pack I would buy Tropico 4 for you in exchange for getting me into the 4-pack. :p

Might want to be careful advertising the sale of 4 pack deals. Didn't somoene on reddit get banned for soliciting the sale of games circumventing regional restrictions?

In other news, Rayman is delightful (shock horror, someone playing games)

I believe this is due to the buyer using a Proxy or private VPN to bypass regional prices.

Retne

I'm considering getting Ys Origin but I'm curious. Would I be lost on the plot if I just bought Ys Oath in Felghana instead? I haven't played either and I'm willing to give them a try but I don't know if I should wait for next steam sale and hope Origin hits -75%.

Wait, are you sure? I don't recall Ys Origin being up for voting in any of the past community choice polls.
No, Ys Origin hasn't been up for voting.

On the other hand, Brink was up for voting, and it was a platform of 66% off, not the 75% off that it has on the flash deal. So yeah, missed community choices can and has come back as flash sales and dailies, and possibly with a bigger discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom