• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBasch

I sort of want L4D2, but the time I played it on a friend's account it was a completely unpleasant experience. Filled with assholes who kept shooting me on purpose and getting votekicked. Maybe things have changed, but I'm still wary about it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is Gabe serious with some of these dailies, Tony is owning THE SHIT out of Steam

Here's how the current Steam Dailies compare to Amazon's discounted "PC Download" titles:

Borderlands: GoTY: $7.49 on Steam; $7.49 on Amazon
Two Worlds: Epic Edition: $4.99 on Steam; $8.95 on Amazon
Tropico 4: $7.49 on Steam; $14.99 on Amazon
Tropico 4: Modern Times DLC: $4.99 on Steam; $29.96 on Amazon
Tropico 3: $2.49 on Steam; $3.00 on Amazon

Of note is that Amazon's base price for the Modern Times DLC is $10 higher than that of Steam's, while Amazon's base price for the PC Download version of Dead Island is half that of Steam's (which is probably why it isn't discounted).

Edit: Valve has actually matched two Amazon deals many doubted would be matched: Modern Warfare 3 at -50% and Max Payne 3 at -50%.

Sorry if I missed it but what was the consensus about Flash sales? Do I still wait for daily deal or are flash sales just as good as daily deals?

I feel like I've purchased a lot. Even though I haven't.

KOTOR, Binding of Isaac, Bioshock 1 and 2, and Frozen Synapse.

Edit - I need a controller to play these games on my Mac/PC. I have a PS3, and a wireless xbox controller. Is there some way to hack these things to get them working? The PS3 controller does use Bluetooth, sooo...

If not, what's teh most affordable way to get a decent controller running on my computer? I wanna play Bastion.

You can just plug your PS3 controller into your computer, or use bluetooth. You just need to instal motionjoy.

For a 360 controller you can buy a wireless reciever, but most of them only come bundled with controllers. The play and charge kit will not let your 360 controller connect to your pc.

j-wood

Just wanted to throw this FYI out there for those people that have a PS3 controller and want to use it on PC.

1. Go to this link http://www.gamefront.com/how-to-use-a-ps3-controller-on-a-pc/

2. Follow the instructions

3. When you go to choose a profile, don't choose "Playstation 3" like the guide suggests. Choose "Xbox 360 controller emulator". Your pc then thinks you have plugged in a 360 controller and maps the buttons accordingly (which is great since the only real difference is the analog stick is in a different place). All 4 top buttons work, the 4 thumb buttons, both analog sticks, start/select, ect.

I haven't had to remap buttons at all.

kswiston

we can hope

It will be on sale eventually. Also, you know how Steam works. You crack and buy it for $9 (Bunch of Heroes isn't worth $1), and 4 weeks from now it will be a midweek madness for $3.75

EDIT: Or offered to IGN Prime members for free.... That always happens to me.

Einbroch

Banned
Just wanted to throw this FYI out there for those people that have a PS3 controller and want to use it on PC.

1. Go to this link http://www.gamefront.com/how-to-use-a-ps3-controller-on-a-pc/

3. When you go to choose a profile, don't choose "Playstation 3" like the guide suggests. Choose "Xbox 360 controller emulator". Your pc then thinks you have plugged in a 360 controller and maps the buttons accordingly (which is great since the only real difference is the analog stick is in a different place). All 4 top buttons work, the 4 thumb buttons, both analog sticks, start/select, ect.

Massive warning about MotioninJoy. If you ever want to use a USB bluetooth dongle you're going to have to go into your registry and and mess with stuff after installing and using MIJ.

Salsa

highlighting this just added to the OP:

<- Spreadsheet made by gaffer Drizzle, open for everyone to edit and keep track of the flash deals

Elginer

So, KOTOR holds up well today? Any mods / technical issues I should know about?

I paid 5 for it like a dumbass yesterday but no widescreen support which is kind of assy. Still runs great.

BTW me and a buddy are REALLY on the fence for Brink. Yay, or nay?

kvothe

Even though it's the daily deal right now, would you guys still recommend holding off on purchasing Skyrim in the hopes that it might get even lower?

no_to_co

Can this be set up to be wireless or do you have to have the PS3 controller plugged into the USB?

Einbroch

Banned
Even though it's the daily deal right now, would you guys still recommend holding off on purchasing Skyrim in the hopes that it might get even lower?

I'm holding off because I would be double dipping for the mods and such. That's the lowest it's going to go until the GotY edition.

Lyude77

Bah, I got Frozen Synapse in the Little Big Bunch Bundle, so it doesn't activate on Steam, so I can't just get the DLC. I guess that saves a few bucks, though.

Levyne

Banned
Can this be set up to be wireless or do you have to have the PS3 controller plugged into the USB?

I think it can be wireless if you have a specific bluetooth dongle. My laptop has built in bluetooth but MiJ would never seem to agree lol

Look for the Widescreen mod

Ooh there's a mod? I assume it works with the steam version fine?
Any other "fix it up" type mods I should look for? I don't really care for player content type mods

Ceebs

That is as cheap as it's going to go I would guess. It stays in the top sellers at full price, no way they discount it further yet.

I use mine wireless with a bluetooth dongle, but it gets spotty every once in a while. I attribute it my wireless router being on top of my tower interfering.

j-wood

From what I saw, the app does support a bluetooth connection if you have a bluetooth dongle for your pc.

Otherwsie you will have to connect it with a USB cable

Katoki

Man. Most of the stuff on my wishlist hasn't shown up yet and I'm out $56-ish on Day 3. This is not going to end well, although I have the funds to keep going..

Which Ys game is better? I was planning on getting one, but I have to go soon and was wondering if the one that was not on the flash deal was good enough.

I sort of want L4D2, but the time I played it on a friend's account it was a completely unpleasant experience. Filled with assholes who kept shooting me on purpose and getting votekicked. Maybe things have changed, but I'm still wary about it.

It depends on the game mode. Versus is toxic and I avoid it despite loving the increased challenge. Campaign on easy or normal is fine. They added a blocklist in the last couple months.

You can always play single player and add the improved bots mod. Or ask a GAFer to teach you how to play in private games. Should only take 2-3 campaigns to figure it out.

edit: improved bots mod
http://www.l4dmaps.com/details.php?file=15517

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Which Ys game is better? I was planning on getting one, but I have to go soon and was wondering if the one that was not on the flash deal was good enough.

They're different enough that it probably just depends on who answers.

Personally I prefer Origin, but both are really good, and they're structured differently so the experience isn't really the same.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
highlighting this just added to the OP:

<- Spreadsheet made by gaffer Drizzle, open for everyone to edit and keep track of the flash deals

It'll be destroyed in seconds! It's going to be beautiful to watch.

The jist is: The spreadsheet figures out the hour of the next daily deal. The first spreadsheed is based on US Pacific. If you change the hour on B3 to your region (for instance, the deals on Brazil started at 14:00:00 hours. The deals on US Pacific started at 10:00:00), the spreadsheet recalculates itself. The dates also get a different background color automagically.

All you have to do is add the name of the deal and the duration of the deal (on the XX:XX:XX format) to the right of the name, and it'll calculate when the next deal is coming up.

If you guys want to add new columns for price/discounts, be my guest.

I won't personally be taking care of it that much, so if it's gone, it's gone (there's a locked backup that people can use to re-create the spreadsheet if they so desire).

Be nice.

Yeah, it is hilarious, and it is also pissing me off, because they are ruining Drizzle's work.

No worries, thats not my main one, there's a locked version of it (look at the tabs below), which is not my main version either.

You guys can figure it out, if you so desire. :D

MasLegio

Banned
PSA: you can buy Skyrim cheaper in retail if you do not absolutely have to play the game tonight

and yes it will still work in steam if you buy it retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom