• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helmholtz

The first witcher is on sale for $2.49. Is it a good game? Is it recommended to be played before the Witcher 2?
The Witcher 1 is definitely a good game, and one of the better WRPGs released this gen. However, it's sort of dated in some aspects, and has a 'rhythm based' combat system, which focuses on you timing your clicks instead of being hack n' slashy. If you go into it knowing that it's a little dated you should enjoy it. It has a good story and good characters.

Playing the Witcher 1 before #2 is not required, the stories are mostly separate. However the first game is a good introduction to the world and some of the main characters, and the end of that game sets up the premise of the sequel.

A lot of people will say #2 is a lot better than #1, but in my opinion they're both good games with their own strengths and weaknesses. Witcher 2 definitely has better graphics and is more modernized though, while the first game is a little more old school.

derExperte

Everyone please vote LA Noire I need it for 5USD. My Amazon download never worked so that was 5 dollars in the toilet.

Consider yourself lucky, I clicked on Amnesia but it seems to have counted towards Noire.

Anyway, I wish they would use the flashdeals for lesser known, older titles. How about.... World in Conflict or something similar low profile?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Got Two worlds 2 pack for my new MBPr, hope its cools not many mac games out there.

also got witchier 1, at $2.50 I'll double dip, never played my windows copy.

PaulLFC

Anyone else find it funny that valve told users to stop trading games in the summer camp group?
It was very blunt too, the title and a one line sentence. "There is no trading in this group" - not that most will listen, so the title is inaccurate :p

legacyzero

Banned
What does this mean, if I but Witcher 2??

System Requirements: Requires file system support for files up to 8 GB

Man I hope my PC can run this. It says it recommends a 4850 and I have a 4890, so I'll be ok right??

Anyone else find it funny that valve told users to stop trading games in the summer camp group?

it's just like the amazon sales thread where that guy wouldnt officially condone using a US address for people in other regions, but they know it goes on. The just cant endorse it.

So far today i've gotten:

Binding of Isacc + DLC
Knights of the Old Republic
Witcher

Keep the sales coming Gabe.

If anyone is selling a renegade ops, or L4D 2 pls pm.

Helmholtz

$30 is a lot in Steam sale money, but the way it's selling at that price, I don't expect a better price anytime soon. Plus it's one of the games I built a new desktop for, so I bit.
You won't regret it. That game was worth $50-60. The current deal is great.
I spent 70 hours in the game and when I stopped playing there was still a ton to do and explore. I plan on going back to it at some point in time. It's a lot better than previous entries in the series too.

What does this mean, if I but Witcher 2??

Man I hope my PC can run this. It says it recommends a 4850 and I have a 4890, so I'll be ok right??
My computer sucks, has 2GB of ram, a 9800GTX+ and is running XP. I can play the witcher 2 without issue (not max setting of course, but still)

legacyzero

Banned
That's so goddamn tempting.

Also the boxart has an E on it.

If it helps you, I think it's my sleeper hit of the year so far. And yeah, That game is everything but an E rating LOL.
There's no reason to buy L4D 1 if you have 2, right?

for the asking price, you really should, especially if you like mods and customer campaigns. The first has quote a bit more than the second, but at least you can download the Silent Hill customer Campaign for both games. Its awesome if you have a couple hours on your hands.

For those who grabbed Spec Ops you may run into resolution problems. I did when I bought the bundle this morning. Anyone who needs help changing the resolution, PM me and I will gladly walk you through it.

bill0527

Man I'm still on the fence about Skyrim.

I bought it full price, and I thought it was worth it based on the fact I've got 80 hours into it so far and still have a ton of side quests to finish.

But...if you've got a considerable back log and don't feel the need to get into it right now, then I'd wait for the December sale where it will probably be cheaper.

Alex

I've spent close to 180 between this and the Amazon stuff. I haven't even gotten any big pricers like Max Payne 3 or Spec Ops either, just padding in a ton of misc stuff, ooof. This is my first real Steam sale so I had a lot of options, though.

My most expensive purchase is just that 15 dollar Witcher 2 that's up now.

It'll take a fucking long time, but I'll play through most of this too. Already almost done with Trine 2 and Alan Wake, allllriggghttt.

I think I'm largely done now though. I was originally planning on getting the Walking Dead but unless it drops further I think I'll pass for now and I've been waiting for a good sale on New Vegas for a couple months.

I've spent close to 180 between this and the Amazon stuff. I haven't even gotten any big pricers like Max Payne 3 or Spec Ops either, just padding in a ton of misc stuff, ooof. This is my first real Steam sale so I had a lot of options, though.

My most expensive purchase is just that 15 dollar Witcher 2 that's up now.

It'll take a fucking long time, but I'll play through most of this too. Already almost done with Trine 2 and Alan Wake, allllriggghttt.

I think I'm largely done now though. I was originally planning on getting the Walking Dead but unless it drops further I think I'll pass for now and I've been waiting for a good sale on New Vegas for a couple months.

I don't really think it get's easier. It seems like I still spend $150 every single Steam sale. More games seem to be coming to the PC and every time I sale rolls around there is at least 10-15 titles that I really want, as well as a bunch of indie gems that are worth checking out.

Angry Fork

Can anyone with strategy background recommend me a game? I'm looking for something that's like nationstates.net where you make decisions about society, laws etc. and those come to fruition. I assume in games you would get to see the effects of those decisions, as well as much more detailed stuff.

I'd like to build cities, see what would happen if you organized people to work in a certain way or what would happen to an economy if you did this that etc. as well as how people would react in the game if you instituted laws they disagreed with or agreed with and so on. Is there any game that comprehensive? Basically a dictator/god simulator? Like The Sims but on a much more grand scale.

Koroviev

The Witcher 1 is definitely a good game, and one of the better WRPGs released this gen. However, it's sort of dated in some aspects, and has a 'rhythm based' combat system, which focuses on you timing your clicks instead of being hack n' slashy. If you go into it knowing that it's a little dated you should enjoy it. It has a good story and good characters.

Playing the Witcher 1 before #2 is not required, the stories are mostly separate. However the first game is a good introduction to the world and some of the main characters, and the end of that game sets up the premise of the sequel.

A lot of people will say #2 is a lot better than #1, but in my opinion they're both good games with their own strengths and weaknesses. Witcher 2 definitely has better graphics and is more modernized though, while the first game is a little more old school.

Does either game bear any resemblance to the Souls games with respect to combat?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So I'm reading that other people are having my same problem of not being able to purchase stuff from Steam because the IP is different to the one used with the billing address (WTF?)

Any idea on how to fix this. I've used different browsers, waited a few minutes but still can't buy shit.

I'm gonna miss the good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom