• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tess3ract

Banned
Bought Two Worlds II on 360 because of good word of mouth on GAF. It looked atrocious (horrible bloom, insufferable "motion blur"), played atrociously. In-game cutscenes were not laughably bad, just bad. Think one two seconds animation loop over and over and poor voice acting. Can't imagine it would be any different on PC.
If you're craving for a WRPG, don't buy this game, as it would only lessen your esteem for the genre.
You bought the 360 version, what did you expect? You can turn those things off on the PC version.

Also the reason that horse was sliding was because he was playing it on the consoles.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
How is Civ 5? It looks boring enough to put me in a coma.

I don't generally like strategy games all that much. For example, the farthest I've ever gotten in any Total War game is 1/3 of the way through the tutorial. But maybe Civ is more interesting/slightly faster paced?

Card Boy

Banned
If i buy Civ 5 GOTY edition will it add all the DLC to my regular Civ 5? Or will it act as another game i have to download like Batman and Batman GOTY?

megalowho

Don't think I can pull the trigger for Gods & Kings over $20, -25% isn't a sweet spot for me. Great deal for the base game, though.

I've never played a Civilization game but I kind of want to get into it.

So, Civ IV or V for a newb like me?
IV is an all time great game, especially with Beyond the Sword. I like V, but burnt out on it much quicker and went back to IV. Boring AI that just wants to kill you by the endgame, alliances mean little.

For that price, EVERYONE should buy Witcher 2. That game is fucking amazing.

Also, Civ. V is extremely tempting. What are GAF's thoughts on the game?

I really like Civ 5. I've seen some of GAF say they don't like it a ton, but I started with this one so I can't compare it with the others. I'd say it's a good buy.

vid

Reposting this against all of the naysayers of the original Left 4 Dead...

vid said:
get a lot of flak for this opinion, but I wanted to throw it out there... L4D and it's sequel both play in visibly different ways. The weapon rebalancing and new infected tend to speed up L4D2's gameplay, while the original moves at a far more deliberate pace. Playing through No Mercy (or any other map) is a notably different experience between the games.

Retne

I've never played a Civilization game but I kind of want to get into it.

So, Civ IV or V for a newb like me?

Civ V is more new player friendly than IV. I enjoy V quite a bit but some say IV is better. There's a little give and take but I think I like V the best. I will definitely like it best once Gods and Kings comes down in price.

In short get Civ V.

O.DOGG

I also would like to hear a few opinions on Civilization 5. I'm considering the GOTY edition but I never played a Civilization game before. I don't know how that happened but there it is. Is it worth it at 12.50?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
All of Civ5 being 75% off except for the xpac makes me sad.

Curufinwe

Just about to buy the Max Payne 1 and 2 bundle for $3.74.

I've been waiting all night for my wife to get off the desktop PC, and I've discovered I have no PS3 or 360 games I actually want to play, lol. I wish Dyad had come out this week.

Gods and Kings is discounted too. But only 25% off, was at 10%.

Oh drat, didn't realize it came down for the day. Guess that's a Winter Sale game for me...ah well, it was always a longshot.

How is Civ 5? It looks boring enough to put me in a coma.

I don't generally like strategy games all that much. For example, the farthest I've ever gotten in any Total War game is 1/3 of the way through the tutorial. But maybe Civ is more interesting/slightly faster paced?

If you don't generally like strategy games and Total War puts you to sleep, Civ would be a complete waste of money.

I liked it more than 2. Versus mode especially is way more focused. Unfortunately no one actually plays 1 now that the campaigns have been added to 2.

Yeah, that's what a few of my friends tell me, that the maps have been ported to L4D2, but some prefer the play style of 1 more. Though, to be honest I never played either of the L4D games yet. I still have to download L4D2.

Wondering if I'd like Civilization 5. I got Civ 4 awhile ago and don't remember liking it that much (I probably didn't give it too much of a shot though). I like Rise of Nations (and tactical RTS like World in Conflict) btw.

Retne

I also would like to hear a few opinions on Civilization 5. I'm considering the GOTY edition but I never played a Civilization game before. I don't know how that happened but there it is. Is it worth it at 12.50?

Well worth $12.50 in my opinion. The game will eat hours up like you're going FTL. Now that they have fixed a lot of the happiness problems it's a lot of fun. Plus there are a lot of decent mods out there. I do recommend downloading the demo first if you've never played a Civ game before though.

gotta head out for lunch but if anyone's hosting a L4D2 4 pack (or just willing to gift an aussie the uncensored version) PM me and I'll reply later today.

Left4 dead 2 four pack

MrTeachwell (me)
Got the shakes

need 2 more survivors

Reposting this against all of the naysayers of the original Left 4 Dead...

Would you say that the original creates a more 'realistic' or tense feeling while the sequel feels more arcadey? I haven't played either but am interested in your opinion on the matter.

Tess3ract

Banned
but seriously is two worlds 2 a good rpg game?
Yes, that's what i keep saying.

It's not skyrim, its very much like gothic. If you don't know what that means, you might not like it (especially if you're expecting skyrim or something)

It's a fucking european game, it's janky and usually doesn't have a lot of polish or money backing it.

Most euro games are like this.

jph139

YES! Been waiting on Civilization V for a while now - nabbed the GotY Edition along with the Korea/Wonders DLC. So much hype.

That leaves me with... $8.22. My big purchase of the sale is through.

(I'd be all over the Collection if I didn't have III and IV already. DAMN good price.)

Card Boy

Banned
How low do you guys think Arma 2 might go? Hoping the 12 dollars left in my steam wallet could cover it.

$15 at 50% to match Amazons i reckon. They would have to be crazy to sell it any lower consider it was selling at full price at the top of the charts before the sale and is still at the top at 20% off.

It will really depend how much you like turn-based strategy games. I've been playing Civilization since it first came out and even with the horrendous pixelated graphics, it's about the only game that caused me and my friends to skip ROTC.

Basically, if you like strategy games, Civilization will eat all your hours. You'll start at 7 PM and the next time you look up, it'll be fucking morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom