• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helmholtz

I also would like to hear a few opinions on Civilization 5. I'm considering the GOTY edition but I never played a Civilization game before. I don't know how that happened but there it is. Is it worth it at 12.50?
Yes, worth it. You can easily get dozens of hours out of it. Civ V is pretty newcomer friendly, and simplifies a lot of the game's mechanics, but still lets you make the game more complex if you want to.

Yes, that's what i keep saying.

It's not skyrim, its very much like gothic. If you don't know what that means, you might not like it (especially if you're expecting skyrim or something)

It's a fucking european game, it's janky and usually doesn't have a lot of polish or money backing it.

Most euro games are like this.

Except Witcher 2. Lots of Polish people backing that game, if you get my drift.

Tess3ract

Banned
If you get Civ 4, get Civ 4 Beyond the Sword. Thats the one that has everything prior except for like, some scenarios. It has all the good stuff from the previous games.

Except Witcher 2. Lots of Polish people backing that game, if you get my drift.
CDPR is very much the exception, even less so now with their GOG.com service.

megalowho

The scope of Civ is what makes it for me, for anyone on the fence. It's beautiful to go from the dawn of Civilization to modern day/future scenarios, nothing like it.

I just find IV+BTS to be timeless, there's nothing outdated about it. V has more polish and a few smart additions, but you're unfairly punished for building too many cities and, as I mentioned, the end game is just not very fun with overly agressive and distrustful AI. They are both very good games, I just prefer IV.

Plus, Baba Yetu.

jph139

I didn't think Colonization was anywhere near as good as Civ IV, but still a solid game for sure. It gets a bit annoying to play, though, in my experience - there's no way to automate trade routes, and by the end of the game it gets really annoying.

But that's me, I hate finicky stuff like that in my games.

I love this song so much I had to buy the guy's whole album. It's pretty good!

I didn't think Colonization was anywhere near as good as Civ IV, but still a solid game for sure. It gets a bit annoying to play, though, in my experience - there's no way to automate trade routes, and by the end of the game it gets really annoying.

That's a fair criticism. I can see how that would be annoying for some, but I never automate anything anyway, and I always play huge maps. Colonization probably appeals to the micromanager in me. :)

If you get Civ 4, get Civ 4 Beyond the Sword. Thats the one that has everything prior except for like, some scenarios. It has all the good stuff from the previous games.

CDPR is very much the exception, even less so now with their GOG.com service.

I know it was a bad pun, but I think you missed it anyway :p

dwebo

If I'm getting Civ 5 - is GOTY worth the extra $5.

wikipedia said:
A Game of the Year edition was released on September 27, 2011. It includes all four of the Cradle of Civilization map packs, the Explorer's map pack, as well as most of the new civilizations (Babylon, Spain, Inca, Polynesia, and Denmark), their respective scenarios, and the official digital soundtrack. However, Korea, the Korean scenario, and the new wonders of the world are not

/shrug. I didn't buy it

O.DOGG

It will really depend how much you like turn-based strategy games. I've been playing Civilization since it first came out and even with the horrendous pixelated graphics, it's about the only game that caused me and my friends to skip ROTC.

Basically, if you like strategy games, Civilization will eat all your hours. You'll start at 7 PM and the next time you look up, it'll be fucking morning.

That sounds dangerous. Time is the most precious commodity for me right now. It also sounds very, very tempting.

Well worth $12.50 in my opinion. The game will eat hours up like you're going FTL. Now that they have fixed a lot of the happiness problems it's a lot of fun. Plus there are a lot of decent mods out there. I do recommend downloading the demo first if you've never played a Civ game before though.

I'll do just that. With more than 11 hours to go, I'll have enough time to check it out for myself.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Helmholtz

Would you say that the original creates a more 'realistic' or tense feeling while the sequel feels more arcadey? I haven't played either but am interested in your opinion on the matter.
Neither of the games are all that "realistic" or "tense" imo. If anything I'd say #2 has more tense moments though. But for the most part they're pretty fast paced arcadey games.

Bentendo

Is the Last days of Portal 2 thing worth $1? I love reading about video game history and normally I'd probably go for it but I just want to make sure it's good before I plop a buck down on it.

Here's my haul so far:

Ys: Oath in Felghana
Ys: Origin
Witcher 2
Terraria
Syberia
Syberia 2
Mount & Blade: Warband (Thanks Tony!)
Europa Universalis III (Thanks Tony!)
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Skyrim
Dungeons
Dungeons - The Dark Lord

Still eyeing a few more, we'll see if they go up for sale.

evilhomer

Double-dipped on Civ 3. Haven't played it since before IV came out and have no idea where my physical copy is so I figured why not at that price.

megalowho

OG Colonization was much more fun than the remake. It lost a lot of it's soul in the transition, in my opinion. Still a great concept and decent mod, but it's not the game I fell in love with back in the day.

Silly question, but Civ IV GOTY puts a bunch of different games into the Games list. Which one do I actually install and run to play the most up to date version of the game? I see Civ IV, Civ IV: Warlords and Civ IV: Beyond the Sword. Do I install them all?

dwebo

I enjoyed Civ 5, would the Civ 4 Complete Pack be a good buy?

don't quote me on this, but I think you only need beyond the sword, which was the last expansion (sans colonization, but that was different)

I have the complete pack, but only ever install and launch BTS

Silly question, but Civ IV GOTY puts a bunch of different games into the Games list. Which one do I actually install and run to play the most up to date version of the game? I see Civ IV, Civ IV: Warlords and Civ IV: Beyond the Sword. Do I install them all?
just bts

jph139

Civilization IV is fantastic - it feels older than V but I think most would agree it's better. It also has a healthy modding community if you're interested in that. Not sure how well it works with Steam, but some mods (RevolutionDCM) completely up the ante, and I've yet to see the V community approach it.

G-Fex

Typical, I go out and buy a gift card to use and there's nothing on steam today that I want.

Here's hoping tomorrow's deals are better.

Is it possible for me to host a 4 pack on l4d2 if im not getting the game myself? Like buy it and pass out all 4 copies?
If you buy the 4 pack. You can only gift 3 away. The gift option is grayed out. It only gives the option to purchase for yourself. Unless you already own it? Then I guess you can gift all 4 copies.

Katoki

If I pick up Civ 5 GotY, is there any other DLC packs I need to pick up that aren't in it? And if so, what?

The only one I've found to be missing for it is the Korea and Wonders of the Ancient World - Combo Pack. Combo is $1.86 whereas individually they're $1.24 a piece. Will see combo if you click on either of the DLC though.

What exactly does the GOTY edition of Civ V have that the base version doesn't? Which DLCs?

Thinking about the Wonders + Korea bundle, as I don't have those. Opinions? Only picked up Spain + Inca one time before. Bablyon and Vikings are tempting, but passable. The others hold no interest for me.

Really wish there was a complete my album sort of thing for the DLC on this game. Waayyyyy too much stuff to deal with if you bought the base game before the GOTY edition came out and aren't willing to pay extra for that.

It is a steal at $12.49 though if you don't already have it.

And Gods & Kings is still too rich for me at the price it's at. I like Civ a lot, but don't play it that much, so I'd need $15 or less to justify it.

The complete Civ package deal is also a huge steal if you've never played Civ before.

LuffyZoro

don't quote me on this, but I think you only need beyond the sword, which was the last expansion (sans colonization, but that was different)

I have the complete pack, but only ever install and launch BTS

just bts

It says that you need Civ 4 in order to run BTS, so I would at least need to buy it.

Tess3ract

Banned
Civilization IV is fantastic - it feels older than V but I think most would agree it's better. It also has a healthy modding community if you're interested in that. Not sure how well it works with Steam, but some mods (RevolutionDCM) completely up the ante, and I've yet to see the V community approach it.

Avoid the Civ forums. They hate steam so much. They really really really hate steam.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
oh god.

I just bought the Civ IV collection and when I looked at my library I noticed there were duplicate entries for Civ IV, Civ IV: Warlords, Civ IV:BtS, and a single entry for Civ IV: Colonization. Then I realized I already bought an earlier pack.

Facepalm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom