• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enco

Since this thread moves so fast, especially when the new sales are up, does anyone think a separate "review the deals" thread would be useful? Then anyone who's played one or more of the daily, community or flash deals on currently can post their impressions of the games to help others decide if they're worth buying. I was thinking a format something like this:

Game name Playtime: Some text about your experience with the game, your thoughts after playing it, and whether you'd recommend it to anyone else interested in the game.

Score (optional)

Game name 2 Playtime: Some text about the second game

etc...

Good idea? Bad idea?
Sounds good to me.

Feels like such a long time since we got a new flash or vote. Withdrawal symptoms kicking in.

I'm really on the fence with Arkham City. I want to pay the game but I can't stand GFWL. May just wait for it to go cheaper in another sale.

So far this sale has been great. I've already picked up: Alan Wake, BTTF, Alice Madness Returns, Darksiders, Renegade Ops, Saints Row: The Third, KOTOR, Trine 2, Warhammer 40k Space Marine, LA Noire

benjipwns

Banned
Boy it sure is great that Ubisoft brought so much value to the table with uPlay. Sure you can't play your game now, but when the servers come back up you can unlock 4 achievements per game and use them to buy costume skins! That seems like a great tradeoff!
You're ignoring that it has ended piracy of Ubisoft games.

PaulLFC

Might be better if we could convince people to do it in this thread.
This thread moves too fast for it though I think. When the new deals are up we have a few pages of what the deals are, some of what people have bought, some of how much people have spent so far, etc. That's not a bad thing, but I think impressions would get buried under all the other posts, so a separate thread would be better suited for it.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hey guys I enjoyed the first painkiller in the old days... what's the consensus on this Painkiller 5 game pack?

jerd

$85 so far... This is awful. I just signed up for 24 hrs of overtime in anticipation of all of the money that I am going to spend.

ZeroEdge

Oh god my pile of shame grows bigger....Portal 2, Alice Madness returns, LA Noire, Y's , Tribes, Darksiders, plus a couple of the indie titles... damn and there's still what 7 days of sales to go? My wallet is going to be hurting bad at the end of this.

benjipwns

Banned
This thread moves too fast for it though I think. When the new deals are up we have a few pages of what the deals are, some of what people have bought, some of how much people have spent so far, etc. That's not a bad thing, but I think impressions would get buried under all the other posts, so a separate thread would be better suited for it.
I was thinking of how it would do nothing to stop the wave of posts asking about every single game. But I guess there's no stopping that.

PaulLFC

I was thinking of how it would do nothing to stop the wave of posts asking about every single game. But I guess there's no stopping that.
True, hopefully though if the other thread exists and any people asking in here are pointed towards it then the requests may lessen a bit even if it doesn't stop them.

Will sort the thread out now.

If you could do that, you should use that power to stop the "do you think game A will get cheaper?" posts first.

True, hopefully though if the other thread exists and any people asking in here are pointed towards it then the requests may lessen a bit even if it doesn't stop them.

Might work, but I think you will just get the same posts + answers + people pointing to that thread. Easier to just keep it in one place, especially since every now and then someone might post some good info about a game, which would otherwise get missed (don't necessarily know you want a game till you hear about it here).

benjipwns

Banned

Maybe could encourage people to paste into this thread, just so it exists within the flow as well. And we also have the repository.

SteveWD40

I may be going mad, but Steam sales are normally 6pm to 6pm GMT, currently it shows the daily deals ending at 6am GMT (Monday morning)...can't be right can it?

benjipwns

Banned
I may be going mad, but Steam sales are normally 6pm to 6pm GMT, currently it shows the daily deals ending at 6am GMT (Monday morning)...can't be right can it?
Daily deals go for 36 hours now. New ones every 24 hours. (With 12 hours of overlap for the prior ones.)

Vastag

You get new deals at 6pm, but have 12 more hours in the previous ones (I think that they started doing this in the last christmas sale)

Zaptruder

Banned
Fuck ubisoft up their goddamn rotten assholes.

Seriously? Server down for 5-6 hours (and still ongoing) during prime play time? Fuck you Ubisoft. I'm calling my credit card company and getting them to dispute the charge.

MRORANGE

Seriously? Server down for 5-6 hours (and still ongoing) during prime play time? Fuck you Ubisoft. I'm calling my credit card company and getting them to dispute the charge.

Did you buy the game on Steam? not a good idea.

elfinke

I'm really on the fence with Arkham City. I want to pay the game but I can't stand GFWL. May just wait for it to go cheaper in another sale.

So far this sale has been great. I've already picked up: Alan Wake, BTTF, Alice Madness Returns, Darksiders, Renegade Ops, Saints Row: The Third, KOTOR, Trine 2, Warhammer 40k Space Marine, LA Noire

I bought it (own AA on 360, but wanted superior performance for AC) during this sale, and there is simply no papering over it - the GFWL stuff is an abomination. Took me a few minutes of remembering what my Live account details were (I have auto sign in, on everything else), then I had to quit and restart Batman and let GFWL update itself, and then one final time sign in and let it download some further update/profile data. Pretty ordinary, especially for 2012.

That being said, my goodness is AC a pretty game, particularly at locked 60fps! Totally worth the aforementioned mucking around.

Madridy

I've spent $0 so far, and it was kinda easy! :p

When each game in my wishlist goes on sale, I ask my self a simple question:

Am I going to play this game within the next 6 months?

And the Answer is always: No

Note: I have over 200 games in my Steam backlog, many of them I'm really eager to play when I finish building my new PC and have some free time.

undecided

Maybe contact steam support first? Doing that might cause you to lose your account..

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
ALMOST bought the Prince of Persia pack today but I realized there was a bit of sleaze going on. Complete Pack is $60 usually, but there are only 5 games in it and they are regularly priced at $10 each. So how does that equal $60? The pack itself is $10 overpriced for no reason!

I'll wait for the games to hit 75% off individually I guess. Would be cheaper that way. Which makes NO SENSE.

benjipwns

Banned
ALMOST bought the Prince of Persia pack today but I realized there was a bit of sleaze going on. Complete Pack is $60 usually, but there are only 5 games in it and they are regularly priced at $10 each. So how does that equal $60? The pack itself is $10 overpriced for no reason!

I'll wait for the games to hit 75% off individually I guess. Would be cheaper that way. Which makes NO SENSE.
It's called they only use the pack to sell you these old games during big sales.

dmr87

You should really think twice about any uPlay game, _especially_ From Dust, that is the biggest POS game. One of the worst ports I've ever seen, don't let cheap prices fool you.

Doing pretty good so far, staying away from impulse buys and only buying things that I've actually been wanting to get a chance to play for a while.

So far:

Saint's Row: The Third 12.49
Alan Wake's American Nightmare 3.74
L.A. Noire $4.99

GKB

Can't buy Arkham City since i'm in Indonesia ....
Yes, it's not available here, why can't you just take my money and give me the game, steam ?

Merguson

Banned
I was going to buy Left 4 Dead 2 but I wanted to wait for the flash deals that were coming soon.

Too bad I fell asleep and just woke up. No Left 4 Dead 2 for me :(

Razek

Banned
I feel bad that L.A. Noire won out instead of Alan wake for a second round. It's probably the most fun I've had in gaming this year.

Kabouter

I need Toma and the Kabouter (well, and anyone else) to tell me what they think about Civ 5. I played and enjoyed Civ Rev, but seem to recall hearing mixed reviews about the newest Civ.

So many great deals. I told myself with the last Steam sale that I had enough games to last me a lifetime. I was right...and so so wrong. :(

Only saw this now, but I'll respond anyway :). I thought Civ V was a disappointment coming off the brilliant Civ IV: Beyond the Sword. It had several fairly major issues that plagued it, notably balance issues, poor diplomacy and poor AI. They have fixed some via patches, and presumably others via the add-on, but I can't imagine they've fixed them all at this point. Aside from gameplay problems, there's also the fact that performance is still not very good as you get late into larger games.

That said, I would say at its current sale price, it's just about worth it if you liked Civ Rev. It's more accessible than previous PC Civ games, features several notable improvements and there's still some good fun to be had, even if it isn't as good as Civ IV: BtS.

I feel bad that L.A. Noire won out instead of Alan wake for a second round. It's probably the most fun I've had in gaming this year.

Alan Wake was already a flash deal so I suspect most people didn't vote for it for that reason. Not sure there is a huge contingent that missed it.

RetroMG

God damn this Steam Sale. I told myself I was done, that I wan't buying anything else, that I had more than enough games, and sure enough, at the sight of all that Arkham City DLC and the nice price on Asylum, I went right ahead and put more money in my wallet.

Now to hope the wife doesn't find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom