• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaptruder

Banned
Finally got Anno 2070 running. Such a despicably retarded situation...

I was lucky because I managed to get it running once before the authentication servers went down - which meant that I could technically login offline.

Of course, because their system is so retarded - it simply tells you that your username/password is incorrect - instead of properly informing you that the server is down. It presents options to change your password.

So you do so, and you can't log in still, because duh, the servers are down - not your password is wrong.

So that creates a problem whereby you still have to 'login' offline... you still need your username and password. Except your offline u/p doesn't update until you login online. So now you think your password is one thing, while it's actually the old password. With no feedback from the program, you have no idea what's going on.

Only by chance (after about an hour of trying) did I get the combo - that you have to be in 'offline mode' and type in your old password, did I manage to login.

And the damndest thing is that there's another IN GAME login screen after you get pass the Uplay one. And that one has the newest updated password - so the game authentication servers are up; but the uplay authentication servers are down.

I can't think of a more effective system for turning off and disenfranchising customers than the DRM system that Ubisoft has setup really.

It won't let you buy dlc, and no it won't give you key.

I really made a bad decision to buy Batman AA retail...

I already own Batman AC on Steam. If I try to buy all AA DLC on xbox.com it goes for more than the discounted pack alone on Steam...

But I really do not want to buy AC and AA twice.

I really made a bad decision to buy Batman AA retail...

I already own Batman AC on Steam. If I try to buy all AA DLC on xbox.com it goes for more than the discounted pack alone on Steam...

But I really do not want to buy AC and AA twice.

Can't you activate your retail copy on steam?

Razek

Banned
Alan Wake was already a flash deal so I suspect most people didn't vote for it for that reason. Not sure there is a huge contingent that missed it.

I know. I saw a couple people in here mentioned they slept through it/missed it. I'm sure there are more out there not on the forums too. While everyone has different tastes, I'm getting such a kick out of it that I feel bad for those who missed out. It's the first new game I have bought in a long time that has held my attention for more than an hour.

Gaspode_T

2006 - PC gamers playing games they didn't buy.
2012 - PC gamers paying for games they won't play.

Considering Valve gets at least like 30% of each sale, at these prices the biggest benefit is word of mouth later and hoping and praying people actually buy them at the normally higher prices...(especially for things like $3.50 Orcs Must Die - that game deserves more $ than that and even if they sell 20K the dev barely sees a bump....)

I am actually kind of surprised the good will and charity of gamers seems to be on a bipolar scheme of "OMG Kickstarter et me give you $250" and "Steam sale!!! $5 or less or go home!!!"

Not like all non-Indie Bundle games listed are from big publishers either - Tropico is made by a small team, Orcs Must Die, Frozen Synapse, etc all indie games.

I am actually kind of surprised the good will and charity of gamers seems to be on a bipolar scheme of "OMG Kickstarter et me give you $250" and "Steam sale!!! $5 or less or go home!!!"

That's a hilarious observation that's probably true but I've never noticed it before. We're a weird group of people.

I know. I saw a couple people in here mentioned they slept through it/missed it. I'm sure there are more out there not on the forums too. While everyone has different tastes, I'm getting such a kick out of it that I feel bad for those who missed out. It's the first new game I have bought in a long time that has held my attention for more than an hour.

I missed out on the franchise collection on account of working... Thankfully, I own Alan Wake on 360, but I don't have the DLC or American Nightmare. I'm still hoping the sale is repeated.

Bradach

Is there any benefit to putting money in your steam wallet rather than just paying on your credit card each time you buy something?

LobLob

Banned
Sooooo, i think i will not only be hooked on Terraria but now Saints Row the Third. I cannot devote my time to TF2 and these other two, oh god what have i done.

Still have an unpacked copy of Two Worlds II in inventory, which I won in the christmas sale. Is it any good if you enjoyed Skyrim, but disliked Risen?

This thread is fast so I'm not sure if I'll get a reply, but...

How are the Sega ports? Some of those Sega deals are insane. I was thinking of picking up the Shining Force games and Phantasy Star 4, but have no idea on the quality of the ports. I sold my Genesis back in like 1992 and never played any of the later games.

Enco

Opening moments of Skyrim are pretty great. Getting that soon-to-be-sucked-in sensation though, so I've quit.
Do people find it that hard to play in moderation?

Why would you quit a game because it's too fun? Sounds fucking crazy.

This game is so amazing! I better stop playing before my life is ruined.

Is LA Noire worth it at 4.99? I heard mixed things about it.

I really liked it, although not many else did. I think the thing about it is that it is basically an interactive movie, the puzzles in it are easy enough and you are so guided that you never really feel like you are solving anything yourself. So if you want a really relaxed interactive story then check it out, if you want something to challenge you then you might want to avoid it.

Rapstah

Do people find it that hard to play in moderation?

Why would you quit a game because it's too fun? Sounds fucking crazy.

This game is so amazing! I better stop playing before my life is ruined.

The good news is if the opening moments of Skyrim sucked him in, he'll hate Skyrim.

nashb81

Neo Member
I liked Old World Blues, Dead Money, and Lonesome Road. They all add something a little different to the core game.

I have never played Honest Hearts.

Cool. Thanks. I've been hearing good stuff about Old World Blues and Lonesome Road so I guess I'll pick those up.

Fucking such shit.

Welp. I'm done with steam sales and ubisoft.

That is the correct attitude to take with any thing from Ubisoft. I would have been all over Anno 2070 at launch but their DRM put me right off. Even the discounted price is too much for a Ubisoft DRM infested product. They could've discounted Anno 2070 by 150% (where they actually give me money to play it) and I still would not be interested in it.

If you want an easy life stay clear of Ubisofts shit no matter how much they discount their products during the steam sale, it just is not worth it.

I assume it is possible to gift an ammount on the Steam Wallet, right?

So anyone in US can buy and gift me the Batman Bundle? Half of the AC DLC is not available in my region for some reason, and the price here is the same.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Is there any benefit to putting money in your steam wallet rather than just paying on your credit card each time you buy something?

Sometimes credit or debit cards get blocked, especially if you're doing a lot of little transactions.

Not everyone pays with credit or debit, and PayPal fucks up plenty. Not just transaction errors: some dude earlier in the thread said it took three days for him to get funds from his bank account into his PP account. (Think of how many sales you'd be missing this time around!)

How are the Sega ports? Some of those Sega deals are insane. I was thinking of picking up the Shining Force games and Phantasy Star 4, but have no idea on the quality of the ports.

The emulator used is supposedly a tweaked version of Kega Fusion. So not as good as M2, better than Backbone. Probably acceptable in quality to the vast majority of people, especially since you're mentioning non-action games.

But the games/packs have been MUCH cheaper, so the deals aren't as great as you seem to think.
Fair warning, I'm probably salty because I was thinking about Shining in the Darkness for $0.75/Classics 4 for $1.87 and don't think it's gonna get there this time around.

That is the correct attitude to take with any thing from Ubisoft. I would have been all over Anno 2070 at launch but their DRM put me right off. Even the discounted price is too much for a Ubisoft DRM infested product. They could've discounted Anno 2070 by 150% (where they actually give me money to play it) and I still would not be interested in it.

If you want an easy life stay clear of Ubisofts shit no matter how much they discount their products during the steam sale, it just is not worth it.

I feel the same way, which is a shame, because Anno 2070 looks great. Doesn't help that they also jacked the price up....

legacyzero

Banned
Is the Fallout: New Vegas DLC worth picking up?
Yes. Dead Money was simply AMAZING. The story telling is brilliant, and the situations that it puts you in are worth experiencing. Old World Blues was great as well, just prepare to hear a SHIT TON of useless dialogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom