• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Killing Floor is my favorite game pretty much ever, so I bought two extra copies to give out. To qualify post a screen shot of your L4D2 playing time of over 100 hours, as Killing Floor is good upgrade to L4D2 and I know you'll probably like it. Post your steam profile link on here so I can give them out.

I want to give it to people who are actually going to play and enjoy it, so I might wait a couple pages for people to lay it all out as to why they want it. I choose the winners.

I also have a -75% off SS3 coupon that doesn't stack if anyone wants this piece of trash, first person to post steam profile gets it.

Thanks

I just bought L4D2 on the community choice deal, but I own both L4D2 and L4D1 on 360. Here's my achievements:

http://live.xbox.com/en-US/Activity/Details?titleId=1161890004

http://live.xbox.com/en-US/Activity/Details?titleId=1161889840

I can understand if you wouldn't count this. Haha.

Steam name: ihn_jury

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The Raptr coupon for Serious Sam 3 (75% off) is currently not working for today's daily deal for the game. :(

Valve fixed the bug that allowed the coupon to stack atop an existing discount rather early into the sale. At least one fortunate person here managed to snag the game for about $3, IIRC.

For someone who's tried to get into Telltale games in the past and really couldn't, is The Walking Dead an exception? Is it really that good?

It's really not like their past games much at all. It's more if an interactive story with steep moral choices than a point and click adventure

What follows is an extremely detailed opinion of Skyrim, if you're on the fence I hope this helps.

All right, this is kind of an odd request, but I have a question for people who:

1.) Loved Morrowind
2.) Thought Oblivion was awful
3.) Thought Fallout 3 was kind of mediocre
4.) Loved Fallout: New Vegas

How's Skyrim?

That depends. What was it that you loved about Morrowind and disliked about Skyrim? I've only very briefly played Morrowind so admittedly I don't have a complete understanding on it but I'm going to make an assumption and assume that you enjoyed the overall atmosphere and diversity of the landscape in Morrowind, much of which was seemingly missing in Oblivion due to the landscape of Cyrodill being more or less a gigantic forest, much less "fantasy" and much more bland. Possibly the customised dungeons in Morrowind over the randomly generated, similarly bland dungeons in Oblivion which lacked any purposely placed loot and thus defeated your desire to explore as you could make the best items without venturing into much dungeons at all provided you got the Sigil Stones.

If that is your reason, the atmosphere of the game and the "bland"ness of Oblivion, then I think you won't have any problem with Skyrim. Although the world of Skyrim, by many, may be sumarised merely as "a plethora of hills and rocky landscape scattered around forcing you to run verticle slopes" I would absolutely disagree. The landscape of Skyrim is far more diverse than that of Oblivion. From marsh areas (swampland would probably be better to describe them), mountainous regions, open plains, forested areas and tundras, Skyrim's landscape is far more diverse than it may initially appear to be on the surface. Now don't get me wrong of course, there is still a large amount of mountains on the map but there is usually roads and paths leading up them (which is why the 3D map is useful for traversing the world despite the fact that it makes finding things on the map [ironically] difficult). Horses also are completely ludicrous on this aspect as they can go up almost vertical slopes and thus this makes exploring mountains much easier than they were in Oblivion. The music also, I feel, is more reminiscent of Morrowind's soundtrack than Oblivion's is and I slighlty prefer it (while playing) to Oblivion's which itself is incredibly formidable. The dungeons however, despite many supposedly being hand-designed, are still not very rewarding because Crafting is so completely overpowered and the loot you find is oft-times worse than what you have which can remove the desire to explore other dungeons. I must admit I do find them much more enjoyable to explore than Oblivion's though. The graphics are surprisingly very good in Skyrim (compared to previous Bethesda games) and the art design in Skyrim I prefer over Oblivion for definite.

If your problem was gameplay related, specifically with regard to the streamlining of the game, Skyrim will not be for you. Although the UI is much easier to navigate (or at least, with a controller, with a mouse and keyboard I imagine it may be much more frustrating) a huge amount of the skills have been streamlined, removed or merged and the Major and Minor skill system is gone. A large amount of the perks are merely modifiers and there isn't a major difference between one level and the next as a result, certainly not as much as Oblivion or Morrowind where every 25 points in a skill was significantly better. Magic in Skyrim is also handled rather poorly. Destruction in particular is completely useless later in the game doing almost no damage when compared to the vastly superior sword and arrow paths. I personally have found almost no reason to use Illusion or Alteration either when playing the game as I've found most of the magic that makes use of those skills to be rather unneccessary. Restoration and Conjuration are really the only significantly useful (in my experience) magic paths, Conjuration having been merged with Mysticism makes it an almost laughably overpowered skill as you can summon Daedric like weapons with soul trap on them while your two summoned (or revived) companions and your normal companion endlessly obliterate everything in front of you. Restoration, with the right build can also be incredibly overpowered (a Vampire Necromage being the highlight of this), as you stand there healing yourself spamming attacks at enemies as you heal. In combat sword, archery and thief gameplay feels improved slightly from Oblivion so if you have no problem with that then the game is more or less fine, the magic however is more or less useless. In addition, the alchemy, enchanting and smithing (not as bad) skills make the game's difficulty completely laughable.

The one thing that I will easily give Oblivion over Skyrim is the quests. As I've stated already, I only briefly played Morrowind so cannot compare the quests overall to that but as far as I'm concerned Oblivion's questlines were vastly more interesting than Skyrim's and this is Skyrim's biggest flaw for me, even worse than the streamlining that has occured. With Oblivion, even though I viewed the gameplay as a chore for quite a long time, the quests were so good to me that I was able to overlook the gameplay for at least seventy hours. The Daedric Quests, Dark Brootherhood's, Thieves Guild, Fighter's Guild, they were all, to me, excellent, incredibly enjoyable and I was easily able to be much more lenient on the gameplay because of this. Even other individual quests such as the Painted World quest and the Dangerous Game-like one were pretty good. With Skyrim...not so much. There is still many good quests, the Daedric in particular stand out and are (to me) definitely the best quests in the game rivalling the ones in Oblivion, but the other questlines are severely lacking as far as I'm concerned and it feels like a chore to do them, that I'm doing them solely out of my own obsessive compulsion to clear my quest list and this feeling occured far earlier than it did in Oblivion (where it was only just before I stopped playing at about 170 hours that I got this feeling).

This post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39257049&postcount=108 More or less summarises my general feelings on the game and although I lasted longer on Oblivion, being new to The Elder Scrolls probably helped.

TLDR: If the world put you off Oblivion and made you love Morrowind, it's worth a risk at half price. If you hated the streamlining in Oblivion, avoid Skyrim at all costs. If you liked the questlines in Morrowind but disliked the questlines in Oblivion, approach with extreme caution. I know this is long but I really want to help anybody who has similar feelings make the decision and I want to be absolutely thorough so you know what to expect

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
For someone who's tried to get into Telltale games in the past and really couldn't, is The Walking Dead an exception? Is it really that good?
Depends, really. I finished the second episode in a single sitting and it kept me engrossed till the end. Pretty nice twists, writing, voice acting and looks really crisp when maxed out on a PC. I'd recommend it. The second episode was fantastic, and I don't regret paying full price for it. Go for it.

goober

Question for The Walking Dead:

It says this for the Mac requirements

Additional: Not recommended for Intel integrated graphics or Mac Minis or early-generation MacBooks

What do they mean be early generation? I'm thinking of getting it for my GF's Macbook from 2009. It barely meets the requirements (thought she only has 2G of RAM)

Think it can run on her Macbook?

Milamber

I don't remember but in Saints Row 3 co-op, only the host reaps the benefits of the achievements while the other player just plays a skin right?

Atruvius

What I have bought:

Portal 1
Portal 2
Hard Reset
Alan Wake
Alan Wake American Nightmare
Serious Sam 3: BFE

All that for 30€! I'm already saving money!

My computer better arrive next week! :mad:

Man, I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm a cheap bastard, there are a couple of games I want but I always tell myself to wait for a bigger discount / Indie Bundle / grab it for free :lol

I'll probably just buy the Alan Wake pack and Ys: The Oath in Felghana if they are a daily/flash/community deal again, and Puzzle Dimensions the last day of the sales. I loved Kula World for the PSX and it looks exactly like that one.

It should be noted that I got Trine 2 thanks to Xelios, and M&B: Warband thanks to Tony (the Amazon rep).

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Why should I even care for the flash sales and community votings if they'll all show up as reused Dailes with the exact same price point anyway? This sale is so boooring :/

Detox

For the new page, Darkness 4 Pack:
1. Detox
2.Gala
3.Lime

Need one last guy for this but they must be from the US and willing to host.

iNvid02

fuck i bought some saints row 3 dlc yesterday for £5.00
LLShC.gif

spent an extra £3.00 today and got the rest of the DLC i was missing

Why should I even care for the flash sales and community votings if they'll all show up as reused Dailes with the exact same price point anyway? This sale is so boooring :/

why would you want the flashes/votes to be the only time to get the deep discounts?

It gives you more "dailies" than you would get normally and more chances if you happen to miss it. Plus dailies are now 2 dailies. I think its a good idea so people have more chances at the dailies. I'd like the achievement meta game to return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom