• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody sell me on Blood Money.

BTW never played a single Hitman, I'm afraid I'll have trouble following the storyline (is there even one?) just like for Splinter Cell Conviction.

If you are going to get any Hitman game, Blood Money is the one to get.

For only $2.50, you will be likely getting at least 10 hours if not more. Mission can be tackled however you want, whether it be silent or rampant. Weapons to upgrade and to collect.

It's a good game :)

Just note it doesn't support gamepad. But the game run fine with KB/M.

Morts

Tried to buy Saint's Row, said I wasn't "permitted to view these materials". Going to go spend $12 at the bar instead. If THQ dies this afternoon it was my fault.

megalowho

Wow at The Walking Dead for $15. I didn't even think it would be apart of the sale, being only 2 episodes in and all. It's easily one of the best games of the year so far IMO. For anyone taking advantage of that, enjoy!

Well... The walking dead simply doesn't load. Awesome.

I've tried all the workarounds people have suggested and none of them work. :-/

EDIT: turns out it's just flat out incompatible with Windows 8 CP. Urghhh...

I did not have any issues with Windows 8 Release Preview.. come to think of it I was running CP for episode 1 and had no trouble as well. Good luck with getting it to run, I've never heard of that problem though.

Fireblend

Banned
Bastion because it's my GOTY for 2011, although to be honest a lot of people find the gameplay repetitive. (I didn't) It's got amazing atmosphere.

I get why people would think that, but the variety in weapons, the amazing music and narration and the fact that it's actually a relatively short experience (3-4 hours tops?) doesn't really allow the gameplay's "simpleness" to become annoyingly repetitive, IMO. Damn, it's so good. Everyone deserves to play this game. Vote Bastion!

Amagon

I really want to get The Walking Dead but I know I won't play it til all the episodes are release. It'll probably get a good price again around Halloween time. Trine 2 is looking like the only game I'll buy today unless Terraria wins the vote!

Koroviev

I get why people would think that, but the variety in weapons, the amazing music and narration and the fact that it's actually a relatively short experience (3-4 hours tops?) doesn't really allow the gameplay's "simpleness" to become annoyingly repetitive, IMO. Damn, it's so good. Everyone deserves to play this game. Vote Bastion!

The gameplay in Bastion actually reminds me of the Ys games.

Having beaten Bastion and played through all but the last couple of missions of Orcs Must Die, I'm actually going to recommend Orcs over Bastion.

Bastion has a cool style and a nice narrator and beautiful artwork. The combat is also very solid. It's not a bad game at all. But I do think it is somewhat overpraised by individuals in the media (maybe because Greg Kassivan used to work in games journalism and has a lot of friends). There isnt' a lot of variety in the level design nor any new gameplay mechanics that are introduced outside of the new weapons. And the narrator, for all his cool Western-throw back tones, doesn't really tell a tale that goes anywhere that interesting.

Meanwhile Orcs Must Die will make you grin. Alot. It's always giving you new traps to play with. And the basic running around and shooting enemies is also extremely solid and fast paced. It's the type of game that once you boot it up, you just want to keep playing just because you are having so much chaotic fun. Meanwhile by the end of Bastion, I felt like I wanted a break every level or two.

GAF which you personally choose given the choice? Bastion or Orcs Must Die. I know they're different genres. But opinions??

Bastion is an overrated turd, don't understand the love it gets. It's also very short.

Orcs Must Die is good fun and will keep you busy for some time.

Tomodachi

If you are going to get any Hitman game, Blood Money is the one to get.

For only $2.50, you will be likely getting at least 10 hours if not more. Mission can be tackled however you want, whether it be silent or rampant. Weapons to upgrade and to collect.

It's a good game :)

Just note it doesn't support gamepad. But the game run fine with KB/M.

Ouch, that's a major turn off, I play almost all my PC games on a TV, from the couch. Thanks for pointing that out, I will think about it (it's so damn cheap!).

I'm going to pick up Magicka from the flash sales. But Magicka Collection is only $5 more. Is the DLC worth the extra cost?

If you have buddies that don't have it yet, I'd say pick up a four pack for the base game instead of the DLC. Give it to friends you know will play with you. It's a riot with friends and it will greatly increase your enjoyment of the game. And the game is only $7.49 for four copies, the SAME price as it is to get all the DLC for 1 copy.

However, if your friends already have it or if they are going to buy it separately, the DLC is definitely worth it. Most of it is cosmetic/challenge areas. But the Stars Within is a full blown expansion and Vietnam is a fun little scenario that spoofs Apocalypse Now.

If you have buddies that don't have it yet, I'd say pick up a four pack for the base game instead of the DLC. It's a riot with friends and it will greatly increase your enjoyment of the game.

However, if you and friends already have it or if they are going to buy it, the DLC is definitely worth it. Most of it is cosmetic/challenge areas. But the Stars Within is a full blown expansion and Vietnam is a fun little scenario that spoofs Apocalypse Now.

Thanks man, 4-pack it is!

LQX

Just heads up to any buying the SRTT DLC. There is "Maximum Pleasure Pack" which contains some of the most favored DLC. You get Shark, money shot, fun time and the invincibility pack. Buying this pack gives you one free.

I can't believe Arma 2 is still at #5 on the top sellers list with only a 20% discount. I wonder if they are going to hit a point where they have made more due to the mod than the base game itself.

filipe

Alright so I finally decided I will purchase The Walking Dead after watching some reviews, my only gripe now is this;

The Walking Dead + SR3 (with DLC)

OR

The Walking Dead + Skyrim

Normally I'd just buy the 3, but I want to save some money for the rest of the sale. I've played Skyrim and enjoyed it (enjoy all the Elders games). Have yet to play SR3 but it looks like a a blast (no pun intended). If I already own Just Cause 2 (and loved it to bits) should I even bother with SR3 (I'm comparing them in the sense of the over the top action and such).

Lain

OK, going to get for sure this SRTT DLC:

Saints Row: The Third - Season Pass DLC Pack

Saints Row: The Third - Genki Girl Pack

Saints Row: The Third - Witches & Wieners Pack

Saints Row: The Third - Penthouse Pack

Saints Row: The Third - Steelport Gangs Pack

Saints Row: The Third - Money Shot Pack

Saints Row: The Third - Shark Attack Pack

Saints Row: The Third - Invincible Pack

Saints Row: The Third - FUNTIME! Pack

Any specific reason to get the rest?

Saints Row: The Third - Z Style Pack

Saints Row: The Third - Explosive Combat Pack

Saints Row: The Third - Warrior Pack

Saints Row: The Third - Bloodsucker Pack

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
No Dailies for me, however I did buy the two pieces of Killing Floor DLC I was missing. I'd also intended to buy the Saints Row 3 DLC until I noticed that the most recent release isn't discounted, so that can wait until the game's price is inevitably slashed again in the near future. In doing so, the ~$16 I've kept to myself can go towards the "I want to buy the Kingdoms of Amalur DLC before it disappears from the Store, but it seems I'll have to pay full price for the privilege" fund.

Proc

trine2 and walking dead for me...debating cities xl but i'll probably just play sim city 4 and wait for the new sim city to come out.

badbrains

I can't believe Arma 2 is still at #5 on the top sellers list with only a 20% discount. I wonder if they are going to hit a point where they have made more due to the mod than the base game itself.

What's all the hype with ARMA II? I see a lot of people posting about it, I looked at some screenshots it looks okay at best.

Can anyone sell me in on it? And which package would you recommend, Combined Operations?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I've never played a Saints Row game. The Third has a TON of DLC. If I'm just getting into it, should I bother with the DLC? What kind of stuff does it add?

Still have one copy of Killing Floor to give out for the person who want's it bad enough.

I don't really have a great argument for myself. But I have a friend that is new to Steam and PC gaming in general. This is his first Steam sale, in fact. He just got a gaming PC a month ago because i helped him cobble together pieces from friends that were upgrading their old rigs.

I'd love to introduce him to the game. I play it with 4 friends regularly and it would be one of the few games he could join us in since it is one of the very few games that supports more than 4 players.

His name is nephrendus on Steam.

My name is EternalGamer 2 on Steam. I have 60 hours of Killing Floor on record. Though I haven't played that much as some of that was idling time. But we would definitely play it more if he had a copy because, like I said, it's one of the few games that our whole gang could play together.

Any opinions on microsoft flight?

The giant bomb flight club has me itching for a flight game (and not a hard one)

They did a quick look of it.

It's really easy.

And it's also free. The stuff you're buying is just extra stuff. Not all of it is good.

What's all the hype with ARMA II? I see a lot of people posting about it, I looked at some screenshots it looks okay at best.

Can anyone sell me in on it? And which package would you recommend, Combined Operations?

People aren't buying arma for arma. There is a mod called DayZ that exploded over the last few months. It's a zombie survival game with permadeath.

The sale has me wanting to upgrade from my Macbook Pro 2011 and it's 1GB 6770m.

For someone that hasn't built a PC in 10 years, can someone point me to a build out for a $800ish PC that will be a little future proof?

I would rather get it pre built if possible.

Downloaded the Magicka demo and no longer on the fence - £1.99 is a ridiculous price anyways. Bought along with Blood Money and Trine 2.

Probably going to pick up Bastion too, if that goes on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom