• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The sale has me wanting to upgrade from my Macbook Pro 2011 and it's 1GB 6770m.

For someone that hasn't built a PC in 10 years, can someone point me to a build out for a $800ish PC that will be a little future proof?

I would rather get it pre built if possible.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455869

You'll get a lot more for your buck if you take the time to build it yourself, but even if pre-built is a must, somebody in the aforementioned thread will point you in the right direction.

Minion101

Banned
The sale has me wanting to upgrade from my Macbook Pro 2011 and it's 1GB 6770m.

For someone that hasn't built a PC in 10 years, can someone point me to a build out for a $800ish PC that will be a little future proof?

I would rather get it pre built if possible.
Check tomshardware forms they are always posting builds.

I don't really have a great argument for myself. But I have a friend that is new to Steam and PC gaming in general. This is his first Steam sale, in fact. He just got a gaming PC a month ago because i helped him cobble toether pieces.

I'd love to introduce him to the game. I play it with 4 friends regularly and it would be one of the few games he could join us in since it is one of the very few games that supports more than 4 players.

His name is nephrendus on Steam.

That sounds fine, whats your steam I'll just hook you up and you can give it to him.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
We got one slot open on a 4 pack with me, Lime and Gala will PayPal immediately but the last needs to be from the US and host.
I'd prefer not to host. If you absolutely need me to, I can. But long-story-short, I'm super sick right now and just can't move to get on the computer, so I have to do everything on my iPhone.

Edit: PM me. This thread is too hectic.

Goody

Has a deeper Garry's Mod discount already come and gone? That and the Monkey Island two-pack are the only two things I'm really waiting for at this point.

Hmm... the Hitman triple pack on sale for $6.24. That's a pretty good deal.

Also, Indie Bundle IV is on sale now. Are any of the games worth getting in this collection, outside of Superbrothers?

Oh damn, and Serious Sam 3 for 75% off...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Has a deeper Garry's Mod discount already come and gone? That and the Monkey Island two-pack are the only two things I'm really waiting for at this point.

Not yet. It'll likely show up as a Flash Sale, if anything, unless Valve needs to fill some space in the Dailies grid.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I see MS Flight and Cities XL....

Cities XL has a low score, so I assume it's terrible. But it looks good....I want Simcity 5...

They did a quick look of it.

It's really easy.

And it's also free. The stuff you're buying is just extra stuff. Not all of it is good.

Alaska and Hawaii add a ton of content. The other stuff is just extra planes. You really can't do a whole lot with the base game, it's more of a glorified demo.

Hawk269

This will be my second "Pay it forward" offer to the Gaf community. My first was giving away 3 copies of Renegade Ops and I about to do another one for Magicka. I will have 3 copies of Magicka to give out to 3 Gaf users. As with the first give-away, I went with a little quiz related to U2 since I am a U2 fan!!! So in the next 10-15min I will be making another post with a few questions.

The Rules:

1. Only 1 attempt at answering the questions.
2. PM *ONLY* your responses to me. DO NOT post your answers in the thread.
3. Please provide your Steam Name/Steam ID or a link to your Steam ID/Name so it is easy for me to give you your game.

....and lastly....

I urge anyone that has the means financially to do this if you can. I know alot of gamers here are tight for cash or out of work etc and if getting a free game helps, then that is a good thing...so pay it forward if you can.

Arksy

I've already gotten a recommendation about Tropico 4. I did a bit more research and found that Tropico 3 is about the same game. The thing is, Tropico 3 is only $2.50 which is a quarter of the price of Tropico 4 for a game that according to a few non-GAF sources, a very similar game. What say GAF? Tropico 4 worth the $10?

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Never bought anything from Steam until yesterday. Picked up Bioshock 1&2 (from amazon technically) and the two Arkham games today.

Now I need a 360 controller. I've got a DS3 up and running with motionjoy but I'd prefer a 360 controller. Are there any programs like mj that will allow a regular 360 controller to be used?

I've never played a Saints Row game. The Third has a TON of DLC. If I'm just getting into it, should I bother with the DLC? What kind of stuff does it add?

The Season Pass stuff gets you the bigger side missions. Those add a nice chunk of gameplay with tone and humor right in line with the rest of the game though not necessarily integral to the main story. They're fun, but if you're thinking of getting them then get them and play them over the course of your main story playthrough and prolong that experience. I played it all after I had done the main story and found that while it was fun, it felt like I was cutting up a chocolate bar and eating one piece everyday.

I've already gotten a recommendation about Tropico 4. I did a bit more research and found that Tropico 3 is about the same game. The thing is, Tropico 3 is only $2.50 which is a quarter of the price of Tropico 4 for a game that according to a few non-GAF sources, a very similar game. What say GAF? Tropico 4 worth the $10?

If you don't have Tropico 3 its the better buy by far. And then no 4 will be cheaper in the wintersale.

Gandie

Never bought anything from Steam until yesterday. Picked up Bioshock 1&2 (from amazon technically) and the two Arkham games today.

Now I need a 360 controller. I've got a DS3 up and running with motionjoy but I'd prefer a 360 controller. Are there any programs like mj that will allow a regular 360 controller to be used?

Most games work perfectly fine with a 360 controller out of the box. Games like Just Cause 2 or Space Marine even adjust button prompts and allow for on the fly switching.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Most games work perfectly fine with a 360 controller out of the box. Games like Just Cause 2 or Space Marine even adjust button prompts and allow for on the fly switching.

Huh, I was under the impression there was a PC specific 360 controller and that the regular ones didn't work with PC games.

Gandie

Huh, I was under the impression there was a PC specific 360 controller and that the regular ones didn't work with PC games.

Nope, I use both my controllers for both PC and 360. You just need a way to connect the controller to the PC, by either using a wired controller or purchasing the Microsoft dongle.

Weenerz

Banned
KSsiF.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom