• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
A reason you might not want to buy Vessel - it's in an Indie bundle a few days from now.

Day 7: Avadon, Dungeons of Dredmor, Qube, Vessel, Zombie Driver

Of course if you own the other 4, obviously $3.74 is a better deal than $9.99, but if you want at least 3 of them, you're better off waiting :)

(The consensus reception seems to be Avadon, Dungeons of Dreadmor > Qube > Vessel > Zombie Driver in quality in their respect genres--I've personally only played Dungeons of Dredmor)

Unfortunately I own 3/4 of that so I'm in on this deal for Vessel.

Popstar

Can someone sell/dissuade me on Vessel? I know the basic premise but haven't seen any reviews.

I already have the other games I want from the upcoming bundle.

Megasoum

Banned
Apparently the latest flash sale isn't available in my region (Canada). I see QUBE, Killing Floor and Vessel. What's the fourth?

I'm in Montreal and I see all the 4 sales. Refresh the page, it's always wonky the minutes after they change something.

Can someone sell/dissuade me on Vessel? I know the basic premise but haven't seen any reviews.

I already have the other games I want from the upcoming bundle.

The quicklook sold me on it. It's a bit of a slow start but they really like it and once you get the fun it's really cool.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-vessel/17-5781/

A reason you might not want to buy Vessel - it's in an Indie bundle a few days from now.

Day 7: Avadon, Dungeons of Dredmor, Qube, Vessel, Zombie Driver

Of course if you own the other 4, obviously $3.74 is a better deal than $9.99, but if you want at least 3 of them, you're better off waiting :)

(The consensus reception seems to be Avadon, Dungeons of Dreadmor > Qube > Vessel > Zombie Driver in quality in their respect genres--I've personally only played Dungeons of Dredmor)

Ahh i like the look of Vessel, not played anything in that pack so I dont know if i should wait now.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
downloaded and logged into GFWL marketplace, guess what, still crashing. Hate this shit goddammit, 8 euros down the toilet.

jarosh

Here's a quick recommendation for one of those "hidden" cheap and lesser known games:

Tobe's Vertical Adventure

TobeVA_now%20available.PNG

http://store.steampowered.com/app/105700/

A fun and irresistably cute (seriously, the pixel art is just gosh darn adorable) little treasure hunting platformer with a neat premise and some pretty damn clever level design. You descend down a cave while collecting various treasure in the form of coins and little treasure chests and you'll be rescuing tiny pixel animals as well. Once you reach the bottom of the cave a big chest will be waiting for you. Unlock it and the cave starts to crumble. Now you need to be quick and escape the cave before the timer runs out. With everything falling apart, some blocks and walls have now disappeared, changing the level design ever so slightly and opening up shortcuts and new paths to previously unreachable treasure. So even on the way back up you will have to keep an eye out for collectibles. But thankfully you can plan for this during your descent.

It's a cool idea that works surprisingly well. It strikes a great balance between careful exploration and frantic platforming. It's fun to explore each cave first and find all or most of the collectibles without being pressured by a timer, and then finally having to speed-run the hell out of there once you've reached the very bottom.

Collected treasure and rescued animals unlock health, extra lives and gadget upgrades (the latter are rarely used to begin with). The game has two separate story modes for the two main characters plus a co-op mode. It also has native controller support.

I have only played up to the last world of Tobe's campaign so far. It doesn't seem to be a very long game, that's for sure. I suspect you can play through both stories in about 3 to 4 hours total. No complaints here though, especially at the current price point. I'm not sure if the co-op mode is an entirely separate campaign.

The game's two major flaws are the somewhat stubborn and difficult to master controls and the all too frequent physics and collision glitches. The good news is that you'll eventually at least get used to the former.

Summer Sale Price:

Europe: 1,12€
US: $1.24

swdgR.png
TyDs1.png

Bricky

Anyone think there's any chance of Dear Esther going on sale? It doesn't even have a regular discount atm.

It was on sale as a midweek madness a while back and Steam tends to repeat those discounts in their big sales, so I'd say the chance of it going in sale again is quite big.

BTW: HOLY CRAP THE WALKING DEAD IS AWESOME. I've always liked the games Telltale makes, mostly because I'm a sucker for fun adventure-games, but this is something else. I have ever seen the TV-show or read the comics, but this game is absolutely fantastisc. I've just finished episode 1, but it might already have a good chance of becoming my GOTY 2012 so far. Seriously people; BUY THIS GAME!

zkylon

zkylewd
Ok, so The Walking Dead games are pretty awesome, right? I didn't like the show, never read the comics, but the trailer for the games really tempted me up.

DOA

when i tried to buy from steam, my credit card company rejected the transaction.
i received a text message from them saying that i need to authorize this personally through the phone.

all those small transactions, for the deals are looking way too much like a fraud... luckily i still have my paypal :)

1-D_FTW

when i tried to buy from steam, my credit card company rejected the transaction.
i received a text message from them saying that i need to authorize this personally through the phone.

all those small transactions, for the deals are looking way too much like a fraud... luckily i still have my paypal :)

This is why it's just better to put chunks into your Steam Wallet and purchase from that. That and it's impossible for Valve's computer to eat a wallet transaction.

Danneee

Come on settlers 6 and new vegas. Only games I really want, maybe red alert 3 too.

And I might pick upp archmage if it goes on sale again.

Haha damn steam sales.

I caved and bought The Walking Dead, along with Eschalon Book I+II.
Up to about $54 dollars spent this sale.

Got most of what I wanted at this point. I will probably get the Indie Bundle V for Ys (don't own anything from that pack), and Maybe the Avernum Trilogy and Divine Divinity if they become a daily/flash deal.

Enco

New Vegas would make this sale a huge success for me.

Already got some amazing games but another one or two would be great.

Weenerz

Banned
Used Steam mover to move my games to a secondary drive, and had to reformat my main drive, is there a way to re-sync those games with steam on the main drive again? I don't want to move manually, then steam mover them to secondary again.

Hawk269

Used Steam mover to move my games to a secondary drive, and had to reformat my main drive, is there a way to re-sync those games with steam on the main drive again? I don't want to move manually, then steam mover them to secondary again.

Why not just keep them on the other drive? I have a SSD (250gb) and Steam is on it. I D/L all my games to it and then move them to a regular HDD. I only keep the few games that do a lot of streaming or loading on the SSD.

Steam Mover is one of the most useful programs for gamers and Steam owners yet!

Weenerz

Banned
Why not just keep them on the other drive? I have a SSD (250gb) and Steam is on it. I D/L all my games to it and then move them to a regular HDD. I only keep the few games that do a lot of streaming or loading on the SSD.

Steam Mover is one of the most useful programs for gamers and Steam owners yet!

My goal is to keep them on that drive, but clean install of Steam on my ssd doesn't display those games.

Kaladin

My haul so far:

Cities XL 2012
Dead Island
Saint's Row: The Third
The Witcher 2

I've got $48.03 left in my steam wallet.....hope Max Payne 3 comes up again, missed it the first time around.

filipe

Alright so I finally decided I will purchase The Walking Dead after watching some reviews, my only gripe now is this;

The Walking Dead + SR3 (with DLC)

OR

The Walking Dead + Skyrim

Normally I'd just buy the 3, but I want to save some money for the rest of the sale. I've played Skyrim and enjoyed it (enjoy all the Elders games). Have yet to play SR3 but it looks like a a blast (no pun intended). If I already own Just Cause 2 (and loved it to bits) should I even bother with SR3 (I'm comparing them in the sense of the over the top action and such).

Just quoting for my question. Anyone have a good opinion who's played both?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom