• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would some people say are the hidden steam gems of 2012? In the past we've had frozen synapse, spacechem, terraria, magicka, stalker, just cause 2 and others. Anyone feel similar about some of their 2012 purchases? Feel free to mention a game that didn't come out in 2012, or that may already have been lauded by others. Just lookin to see what has pleasantly surprised posters early on in this sale.

Kalnos

Banned
So about Walking dead... it says there's multiple episodes... but on the sale there's no indication which you're buying.

You get all of season one which has 5 parts of which 2 have been released. They recently announced an 'season 2' which will be a totally new game in the same universe.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Already have all 3 games in the poll. What game does GAF want?

HiiiLife

Just quoting for my question. Anyone have a good opinion who's played both?

Personally to me I like GTA more than Saints Row (cliche argument, I know) the only other open world game that has caught my attention is True Crime. I would personally go with Skyrim and Walking Dead. I never play RPGs. NEVER. Skyrim was the first to hook me and I put in at least 100 hours. Walking Dead is just awesome with the situations they put you in. Really cool how it tracks your progress through the five episodes. It reminds me a lot of Heavy Rain. Which I enjoyed.

haikira

I'd find this a tough one to answer. I've spent some time with Saints Row 3 on the console, about the bite the bullet on the PC version myself. I've completely destroyed Skyrim on the PC though.

If you loved Just Cause 2, i'd find it hard to imagine you not loving Saints Row 3. I'm in the UK, so i'm not sure about the pricing for you. But here, SR3 is more than half price. So that's another bonus.

Skyrim is fantastic too. I was quite underwhelmed with the main campaign quests though. But it's absolutely full to the top with things to do and is great fun, for people who make their own fun. I had good fun with guild quest lines too.

Another good point for skyrim, is there's plenty of great DLC on offer, very easily from the steam workshop. That will add some longevity to the game for free.

If it were me, i'd be in a stalemate too. Sorry if that doesn't help much, but that's my two cents on the games.

EDIT: Actually, in truth. I think i would go for Skyrim. Which seems to be what you're going for. Enjoy. It's a great game.

filipe

Personally to me I like GTA more than Saints Row (cliche argument, I know) the only other open world game that has caught my attention is True Crime. I would personally go with Skyrim and Walking Dead. I never play RPGs. NEVER. Skyrim was the first to hook me and I put in at least 100 hours. Walking Dead is just awesome with the situations they put you in. Really cool how it tracks your progress through the five episodes. It reminds me a lot of Heavy Rain. Which I enjoyed.

Done. Going for this, thank you.

eyeless

got ac to work just in case anyone was holding their breath

for some reason it didn't show up the first time i logged in so i had to restart for it to pop up, which i was afraid to do cause i was worried i might not get in again.

this'll be my first 1080p/60 frames assassin's creed game, it will be glorious.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
SOLD!

You Already Own Tobe's Vertical Adventure

When in God's name...
Same thing happened to me.
KuGsj.gif

I still don't know if I want QUBE.. It looks kind of bland and boring. Any impressions?
It's fairly bland and boring. I absolutely love puzzle platformers of all sorts but I'm struggling to finish this one. I honestly don't want to bad mouth the game because it's a pretty polished and focused game. It's just not for everyone IMHO. There's a demo so you should try that before buying.

If it helps, I bought SR3 just the other day and I am having an awesome time with it. I wanted Skyrim but I will wait for it to get cheaper (Xmas sale).

I played Just Cause 2 a decent bit a couple years ago. It was fun, but SR3 feels different to me (in a good way).

These are just my first impressions, so YMMV.

That's how they get you; you can't play your games, you might as well buy more huehue

I feel like I've did nothing but browse the Steam store for the past 4-5 days and I have like 15 new games in my inventory.

Total time allocation spent across the new games I've purchased: approx. 10 minutes.

"Cool, my computer can run it. Quit to Windows? Yes."

You guys think the Walking Dead will drop more or is $14.99 the lowest it will go? I saw the 2 trailers and Im really tempted but I still have some games from the Holiday Sale that I havent even started. :/

HiiiLife

Done. Going for this, thank you.

If I might add, Skyrim is sole reason why I now want to try more RPGs. Picked up Demons Souls last year and had a complete blast. Lol. Skyrim was pretty much my gateway game to start looking for RPGs to try out. But yeah, if you played Heavy Rain (or know how the gameplay is) expect some curve balls thrown when you play Walking Dead. Some decisions are tough and I ended up playing through the two episodes a couple times just to see a different outcome. Definitely a different game compared to what comes out nowadays. Plus my girl liked watching the play through. So that was double points for me. lol.

Alex

14.99 is most def the basement for walking dead atm. im surprised it went down that much. it is ongoing and fairly popular

Detox

Jarosh's post reminded me for the last sale there was a thread for the hidden gems of the Steam sale, will there be a similar thread this time round? I would do it but I just won't be able to keep the OP updated.

You guys think the Walking Dead will drop more or is $14.99 the lowest it will go? I saw the 2 trailers and Im really tempted but I still have some games from the Holiday Sale that I havent even started. :/

I wouldn't expect a major price drop until after the season is finished. And at the rate they are releasing the episodes that will be awhile. Maybe around Halloween but probably during the Winter sale.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Do you have Microsoft.net framework install? ton of MS programs use this...

Yes. When I tried to reinstall it from the games' directory, it even gave me a message because the currently installed version is newer.

Reinstalled GFWL marketplace client, DirectX, didn't help either. As soon as the GFWL menu comes up ingame, the game freezes before I can make any input. Login to GFWL via the PC application works fine, game still crashes.

Why isn't GFWL dead yet. Fucking annoying.

Bought Trine 2 even though I never played much of the original. Going to make an effort and play the first one with a buddy or somebody online. Any volunteers? Pm me.

megalowho

If by played Skyrim you mean messed around for a bit and not spent a ton of time with it on consoles or anything, I'd say TWD+Skyrim. Especially if you know you enjoy Elder Scrolls games. I like Saints Row 3 a whole bunch, but couldn't honestly put it over Skyrim on PC, especially with the incredible modding scene.

SR3 is more absurd than Just Cause 2. Goes for the humor, both legitimately and a bit too try hard. Think hot lady with a gruff Australian male accent, calling in airstrikes on a gang of luchadors before riding away on a jetbike with Cheapy D.

Scoops

Banned
Wishlist for sales:

Arma 2
Doom 3
NBA 2K12
CoD 1 (only cod I havent played, why not)
Whatever the best STALKER game is

I wanted Max Payne 3 but I'll wait for it to go down more. Probably by winter sale.

Saints Row the 3rd and Serious Sam 3 Yeah or no?

Definitely get Saints Row The Third. I didn't buy it last year because I stopped buying major games on release to save money and that's one I wish I would have bought when it came out. It's so incredibly fun and has very juvenile humor.

I have Serious Sam 3 also but can't give a proper opinion as I've only played an hour or so. But GAF seems to love it overall.

kadotsu

Banned
I can't log in to Windows Live, even though my username/passwords are correct, is it fucked at the moment?

It's slower but it works for me.

Edit: Did you change your email address since the last time you logged in? In that case: Congratulations! You just lost all your saves and need to delete and recover your GFWL ID.

Razek

Banned
Yes. When I tried to reinstall it from the games' directory, it even gave me a message because the currently installed version is newer.

Reinstalled GFWL marketplace client, DirectX, didn't help either. As soon as the GFWL menu comes up ingame, the game freezes before I can make any input. Login to GFWL via the PC application works fine, game still crashes.

Why isn't GFWL dead yet. Fucking annoying.

What game is this again?

Rorschach

Fuck it, trailer sold me on Darkness II. Looks more fun than the first game which was rather boring to me until the last level. Especially those horrible hell sections.

I click play walking dead, Steam freezes and does nothing, hanging on the loading bar. This normal?

Despite unliking my Facebook account from Steam I'm still being pestered with friend requests every time I sign in. I even unauth'd the plugin on Facebook apps. Really annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom