• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
tempted to try assassin creed 2 - for 14$. How's the pc version hold up?? Never played the first one but hearing so much praise for the series.
Urgh what to do?

Wait for a daily deal. I bought it for 5 bucks on a regular weekend sale, it'll most likely be back. I'm waiting on a sale to get brotherhood.

Dipswitch

So does someone mind telling me the consensus on GFWL? It seems like its universally hated. Not only that. But how will I know which Steam games are GFWL? I don't wanna buy one and end up having problems cause Windows Live.

GAF, what say you?

I've had zero problems with it, on any game I've played, Steam or otherwise. There's probably a greater chance of something going pear shaped thee days mind you when Steam cloud, Securerom, etc, are added into the mix.

Helmholtz

tempted to try assassin creed 2 - for 14$. How's the pc version hold up?? Never played the first one but hearing so much praise for the series.
Urgh what to do?
I just played and finished AC2 on my PC last month. It runs pretty well, my framerate seemed pretty solid. The graphics are good, but not mindblowing. Having not played the first game, I had no problem getting into the second one. It's actually a really good game, with a pretty good story and characters. The environments/cities are a lot of fun to traverse too. Weakest part of the game is probably the combat, it's not very interesting and sort of just a hassle... I preferred just assassinating people rather than engaging in armed combat. I definitely recommend it. Took me around 21 hours to complete, but I mainly only did the main quests with the exception of some 'assassins tomb' side quests which were fun. Oh, and I played with a controller which worked well, I don't think the mouse/keyboard controls are very good.

1-D_FTW

Is it worth playing Dirt 2 if I've already got Dirt 3? Is there a different selection of cars or tracks that would make it worthwhile?

Absolutely. Different cars and tracks. My favorite Trailblazer car is in 2. And the tracks? IMO Dirt 3 is like a b-side album that contains all the refugee material from 2. Dirt 2's tracks are just MUCH better. Only track that could remotely hang with Dirt 2's quality is Monaco (DLC in 3).

Deliverance

Neo Member
Urgh what to do?

I bought it during the winter sale and tried to play it a few days ago. The new Uplay client is atrocious, I ended up not playing it at all.

GuessWho

Absolutely. Different cars and tracks. My favorite Trailblazer car is in 2. And the tracks? IMO Dirt 3 is like a b-side album that contains all the refugee material from 2. Dirt 2's tracks are just MUCH better. Only track that could remotely hang with Dirt 2's quality is Monaco (DLC in 3).

I think I will get dirt 2 for 5$. I hope there is a lot of rally events.

zkylon

zkylewd
You don't get every DLC with packs. Theres just 2 packs that have 4 DLC a piece which is cheaper than buying them separately.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/14757/
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/14758/
Oh dang didn't know about this. Wouldn't have saved much since I didn't buy most of the things on those packs but would've had more DLC for my buck :/

Well, c'est la vie, it wouldn't be the Steam Sales if you didn't fuck up for overexcitement.

One of the flash sales doesn't show up in my country, which game is it? Right now I can see Killing Floor, QUBE and Magicka.

RedSwirl

Y'know what? I'm tempted to grab a PC copy of Hitman Blood Money. I only own the PS2 version which is the same game just with (surprisingly) minor graphical sacrifices. You guys think the game is worth going through again before Absolution comes out?

HiiiLife

Y'know what? I'm tempted to grab a PC copy of Hitman Blood Money. I only own the PS2 version which is the same game just with (surprisingly) minor graphical sacrifices. You guys think the game is worth going through again before Absolution comes out?

I would like to know this as well. Still bummed that contracts doesn't come with it cause that's the only thing holding me back from purchasing the collection.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So does Dirt 2 "feel" like Dirt 3? Because that game really captured what made arcade racers in the 90s awesome. That feeling of "OH GOD IM GONNA FUCKIN CRASH." Good times.

The sale has me wanting to upgrade from my Macbook Pro 2011 and it's 1GB 6770m.

For someone that hasn't built a PC in 10 years, can someone point me to a build out for a $800ish PC that will be a little future proof?

I would rather get it pre built if possible.

I don't know what's wrong with your laptop? The 6770 should be plenty to play most games out there. I play everything on on my 2011 iMac and it only has a 6750.

I'm at literally 0kb/s download speed and every 20 minutes or so it will download for about 30 seconds at 50kb/s. Then sometimes it'll say download suspended and I have to manually restart it. I get that it's busy right now, but any ideas on how I can at least keep from having to walk back to the pc every 20 mins and restart it?

HoosTrax

I would like to know this as well. Still bummed that contracts doesn't come with it cause that's the only thing holding me back from purchasing the collection.
I have this same problem with Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow not being on Steam or in the SC complete pack.

Deliverance

Neo Member
What? I had no problem with it. I just pressed play and it launched the game. What was wrong with it?

These days it's working like crap because of maintenance, I believe. A lot of people have been complaining lately because of that. I just couldn't play at all, after waiting for an eternity so the client could update the log in didn't work. I don't know if you played lately, but what before was a simple launcher is now a full client (pretty much like Origin). So now you have to launch it on Steam, and then do so again on the damn Uplay crap. And... That's it.

DTKT

I'm at literally 0kb/s download speed and every 20 minutes or so it will download for about 30 seconds at 50kb/s. Then sometimes it'll say download suspended and I have to manually restart it. I get that it's busy right now, but any ideas on how I can at least keep from having to walk back to the pc every 20 mins and restart it?

Servers are probably on fire.

Try changing the download location.

View - Settings - Download+Cloud - Download Region.

Servers are probably on fire.

Try changing the download location.

View - Settings - Download+Cloud - Download Region.

Changed it to Columbus. Didn't realize they had internet in Ohio. It would be rad if they had an infrastructure in place so that we could all be torrenting it from eachother when shit gets crazy.

RedSwirl

I have this same problem with Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow not being on Steam or in the SC complete pack.

From what I understand the PC port of Pandora Tomorrow was not very good.

On the subject: is it worth grabbing SC1 on PC? Until now I've actually only played the Gamecube version which had some semi-serious sacrifices.

Edit: Any chance SC1 will go lower?

HoosTrax

From what I understand the PC port of Pandora Tomorrow was not very good.

On the subject: is it worth grabbing SC1 on PC? Until now I've actually only played the Gamecube version which had some semi-serious sacrifices.
I haven't gotten around to finishing it yet, but it's surprisingly playable and hassle free on Windows 7, which makes it all the more surprising that Pandora Tomorrow has technical issues that causes it to be banned from Steam or something.

I don't know what's wrong with your laptop? The 6770 should be plenty to play most games out there. I play everything on on my 2011 iMac and it only has a 6750.

It's a mobile GPU, just like what they put in the iMac, so they are quite a bit slower than the desktop cards under the same name.

eyeless

i got into uplay to activate acr or whatever but i don't know what do now someone tell me quick before it screws up more somehow

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Downloading at 8 MB/s here. Different servers, I guess (my download location is Sweden)?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A reason you might not want to buy Vessel - it's in an Indie bundle a few days from now.

Day 7: Avadon, Dungeons of Dredmor, Qube, Vessel, Zombie Driver

Of course if you own the other 4, obviously $3.74 is a better deal than $9.99, but if you want at least 3 of them, you're better off waiting :)

(The consensus reception seems to be Avadon, Dungeons of Dreadmor > Qube > Vessel > Zombie Driver in quality in their respect genres--I've personally only played Dungeons of Dredmor)

Gintoki

Also just a reminder, both Qube and vessel will be on an indie bundle that includes: Avadon, Dungeons of Dredmor, Zombie Driver

Edit: beaten.

anddo0

PC is the definitive version by far.

eh, I wouldnt say the difference is THAT big as to double-dip if you already own it and are playing it

Guess, I'll pass for now. The game is THAT good though.

There aren't many reason to turn on the PS3 these days. So, getting on the PC seemed logical.

Vessel is a flash deal now.

I was hoping for something else. I played the demo and found it quite boring.

edit:
Have you played the PS3 version? The lag and pausing is terrible.

Yeah, this bugs me. The game is good enough that I was willing to look past it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom