• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

GabDX

Banned
I'm new to PC gaming and far these sales have been amazing.

What would be some decent multiplayer games for a weak computer? Any recommendation? Any kind of game is fine.

Retne

Well since Walking Dead is $15 for all the episodes I think I'll have to pick it up. I'm just going to wait an hour and see if I also want whatever the next flash sale is.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

What would be some decent multiplayer games for a weak computer? Any recommendation? Any kind of game is fine.

Frozen Synapse. Still 80% off as daily deal from yesterday.

You dont even have to worry about lag in this MP game. Servers are a bit clunky right now, but that get better after the daily deal is over.

Scoops

Banned

Define "weak computer."

Anyway hard to go wrong with the Valve offerings; Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Counter Strike Source and they run well on just about anything.

Saige

I must do better.
I just picked up The Walking Dead because of all the recommendations here.

But I swear this is my last $10+ purchase of the sale (hopefully).

Retne

League of Legends and TF2 are probably the most active multiplayer games that you can run on a lower end PC without any issues.

Killing Floor doesn't require a beefy system at all.

Also Greedcorp is really really fun turn based game for 4 people same console or online. Games last about 10 minutes each so it's fast. And there is a four pack.

Magicka doesn't require too much. I have friends that play it with me on a fairly old dual core. Also there is a four pack for $7.50

HiiiLife

I'm new as well. Started PC gaming last week. Team Fortress 2 runs fine on mine. The new Counter Strike looks cool.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Killing Floor doesn't require a beefy system at all.

Also Greedcorp is really really fun turn based game for 4 people same console or online. Games last about 10 minutes each so it's fast. And there is a four pack.

Magicka doesn't require too much. I have friends that play it with me on a fairly old dual core. Also there is a four pack for $7.50

I disagree on Magicka. That can get really finicky depending on the setup. I almost couldnt play it on my old Notebook, which was able to run Crysis 1 on medium settings. (still a fun game, though)

daxy

Here's a quick recommendation for one of those "hidden" cheap and lesser known games:

Tobe's Vertical Adventure

Looks great! Thanks for the heads up & bought.

Jarosh's post reminded me for the last sale there was a thread for the hidden gems of the Steam sale, will there be a similar thread this time round? I would do it but I just won't be able to keep the OP updated.

Would love to see one of these.

Bentendo

I'm certain it's already been asked but for someone who's never played a game in the series, which is the best Hitman? (and are they good on the PC?)

StuBurns

Banned
It's slower but it works for me.

Edit: Did you change your email address since the last time you logged in? In that case: Congratulations! You just lost all your saves and need to delete and recover your GFWL ID.
I don't know that I've ever even used the service before. I was just trying to log-in with my Hotmail account, which the website says is a valid GFWL account, but to no avail. Looks like no SSF4 for me.

listening to the Idle Thumbs podcast makes me want to buy the telltale pack and/or the Walking Dead but I feel like I'll get a better deal if I wait till the holiday sale. Plus the telltale pack is missing a bunch of their games, I don't care for that business.

List so far:
Terreria - I need to seek a walkthrough or something I'm totally lost.
Alice: Madness Returns - Awesome visuals nice plaforming and combat. Took me two hours to get through chapter one, that could be a problem if all the chapters are that long.
L4D 1 and 2 - Played them when they first released on Xbox. I forgot how awesome they were. I think I like 1 better.
The Walking Dead - Finished Episode 1 and loved it. Can't wait to play the rest of them.

Artofwar420

List so far:
Terreria - I need to seek a walkthrough or something I'm totally lost.
Alice: Madness Returns - Awesome visuals nice plaforming and combat. Took me two hours to get through chapter one, that could be a problem if all the chapters are that long.
L4D 1 and 2 - Played them when they first released on Xbox. I forgot how awesome they were. I think I like 1 better.
The Walking Dead - Finished Episode 1 and loved it. Can't wait to play the rest of them.

For Terraria help the wiki is pretty nice to learn some basic recipes and the concept of what home is. Along with traders, and how to get them.

http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Terraria_Wiki

The Walking Dead looks and sounds really interesting, but it's one of the few games that I would actually pass up due to content. I've never seen the TV show, but I read the comic for a while. And while I found it really good it was honestly just really too depressing for what I want in my leisure entertainment at times. I can handle some things, but as a dad when kids and babies start dying that just too far for me, and I'd have to assume that the game has some of the same rough content as the comics.

Retne

What' your guys' favorite Platformer that's on Steam?

I already have Psychonauts by the way.

Well since you disqualified Psychonauts I'm gonna have to go with Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. The platforming in that game if nice and fluid but it probably isn't the type of platforming you were looking for.

For your typical runny-jumpy traditional platforming I've been enjoying Trine 2 so far. I don't really have any good suggestions beyond that.

EDIT: Boy I'm dumb how could I forget Super Meat Boy. As long as you have a controller that game is pretty great.

Wok

Bought: 4,50€
Trine 2 Collector's Edition Upgrade
The Binding of Isaac: Wrath of the Lamb DLC
Frozen Synapse: Red DLC

Bought for gifting: 9,60€
Trine 2 Collector's Edition
Frozen Synapse

Scirrocco

Well i've been putting off buying Trine 2 for long enough, guess there's no excuse now not to buy it. I loved the original.

But i'm so poor though...

HoosTrax

Bought: 4,50€
Trine 2 Collector's Edition Upgrade
The Binding of Isaac: Wrath of the Lamb DLC
Frozen Synapse: Red DLC

Bought for gifting: 9,60€
Trine 2 Collector's Edition
Frozen Synapse
That reminds me that I haven't gotten Frozen Synapse Red yet. I loved the soundtrack of the original game (I actually got many times as much mileage out of the OST as the actual game).

Well Walking Dead forced me to reboot, seems to be an issue that it isn't bringing the Windows authorisation window to the front. Try an alt tab if you have this issue.

edit. Running compatibility mode for Win 98/ME worked for me on 7 x64

Junie12

Damn, I promise myself I wouldn't buy anything from this sale since I barely played any of the games I bought from the winter sale.

But then I saw Walking Dead for 15$..

Fuck, alright Gabe you win. You got my money, but your not gonna get a penny more from me!

Unless Arma 2 goes to sale, then you win again <_<

Decided to pass on the M&B DLC. If I decide I like the game enough when I get around to playing it, I can pick up the DLC later (maybe Winter sale.)

Also just saw that the Syberia pack is $3.74 for both games. That's on my list to pick up now on the last day of the sale along with Pixeljunk Eden. They're probably not going to go any lower, but you never know.

Hawk269

I just played a little bit of Trine 2...holy shit is that game amazing looking. Playing it at 1080p at the maximum settings and it is smooth as butter and just plays and looks amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom