• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a minimal budget this year for steam sales and I need some help. I am considering buying the following games:

Metro 2033 (love the STALKER series)
Dear Esther
Ys Oath
AC: Brotherhood ( i have yet to play part 2)

Which games here should i drop? I only have about $35 to last me til the end of the sale.

Leckan

Of course, the only game (Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition) I really wanted from this sale went on a flash deal while I was asleep and I missed it....
Sorry but I had too.

image.php

My Dear Esther purchase is already justified, you can just stare at that distant beach on the title screen in wonder.

Fucking beautiful indeed.

All I have is a compressed steam shot, so I'm not going to post it.

Only thing I want from the Indie V bundle is Ys Oath. How are the other games in it? Filler? Only Gemini Rue is not discounted. Hmmmm spend $4.90 for 4 other games that I may never play?

Audiosurf was the game that introduced me to Steam, and still gets played occasionally. I think it's an absolute essential for any PC gamer, well worth the pound fifty. Gemini Rue is apparently a very good point & click game (think Revolution's stuff, not LucasArts), can't comment on the other two. But yeah, get Audiosurf regardless.

I have a minimal budget this year for steam sales and I need some help. I am considering buying the following games:

Dear Esther
Ys Oath

Which games here should i drop? I only have about $35 to last me til the end of the sale.
I'd drop Dear Esther, but I say that as someone who has no interest in it. Don't think about dropping OiF.

XPE

Any thoughs on F.E.A.R 3? Never played any of the sequels, but afaik F.E.A.R 1 is great but bland level design, F.E.A.R 2 is not as good.

Is the 3rd one worth it at $5?

Its a decent game, not as scary as the first 2 games and not as good looking as fear 2, if you haven’t played the first 2 games I would give it a miss, if you have you might enjoy it.

Koroviev

Dear Esther
Ys Oath

I would drop Dear Esther and Brotherhood.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Do you like Doom and/or Quake? Buy Rage. In true id fashion, the plot is paper-thin, the ending completely sucks, and there's not much to the vehicular gameplay, but the FPS action is utterly fantastic.
Well, I do agree with this as it DOES feature fantastic gameplay.

The problem with Rage is that they regularly force you to speak with characters and return to mission hubs. Without any sort of interesting narrative to follow, however, this ultimately becomes tedious.

Once you're actually out and about taking on missions, however, the game is an absolutely blast to play. I would love a mod that simply allows you to play one mission after another without any of the overworld stuff.

Dear Esther
Ys Oath

Metro is nothing like the STALKER series outside of atmosphere, perhaps. It's a linear action game with poor gun play. It looks fantastic, but it's not a great game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Should I bite on this F.E.A.R. Complete collection for $9.99? Never touched a F.E.A.R. game before

I fuckin' love FEAR and FEAR 2 (PC versions, of course.)

FEAR 3 can eat a dick. I knew it was going to be terrible from the moment they announced the new developer for that game... and guess what? It exceeded my expectations of shittiness.

F.E.A.R. 3 worth the $5?

NO

Loxley

Well, I've held off for as long as I can, but I finally made a couple purchases today; namely RAGE and Metro 2033. I wasn't paying attention yesterday and missed the New Vegas daily deal, so here's hoping it shows up one more time at the end.

Damage so far:
Deus Ex Human Revolution: The Missing Link
Batman Arkham City + Harley Quinn DLC
Dear Esther

Considering getting either
The Walking Dead or Assassin's Creed collection, not sure which

Other games I want:
The Witcher 1 + 2
Alan Wake Collection
YS games
The Binding of Issac

All of which went on sale while I was away figures. Was only planning to spend 50 euro but looks like that won't be happening...

Ifrit

Its a decent game, not as scary as the first 2 games and not as good looking as fear 2, if you haven’t played the first 2 games I would give it a miss, if you have you might enjoy it.

Thank you, I guess I'll give it a try at the prequels first

kurahador

Been playing The Walking Dead for like 30 minutes, wow the game is great!!

Oh yeah, been asking this before. Did Ghostbusters: The Video Game got removed from steam?

rockx4

My purchases have been really limited this time, probably because my backlog is already so bad lol.

So far only Trine 2 and Ys Origin. And I didn't even buy Trine 2, got it gifted.

eshwaaz

Any thoughs on F.E.A.R 3? Never played any of the sequels, but afaik F.E.A.R 1 is great but bland level design, F.E.A.R 2 is not as good.

Is the 3rd one worth it at $5?
As a generic FPS, it's serviceable. As a FEAR game, it's very poor. Gunplay lacks any punch, it's not creepy in the least, and the co-op focus is forced and detrimental to the single player experience.

I'm really glad they adjusted the assassin's creed bundle. I was worried I would have to wait longer or just pay the 49.99 at the end of the summer sale if it never went any lower.
thats almost everything i wanted now. its all gravy from here on out.

Purchases
-SW:KOTOR
-Ys Origin
-Batman Arkham Asylum
-Batman Arkham City
-L.A. noir (I dont remember buying this wtf)
-Mount and blade:with fire and sword
-Fallout NV DLC
-Assassins Creed
-Assassins Creed 2
-Assassins Creed Brotherhood
-Assassins Creed Revelations

And as I finish writing that I realize I have forgotten the most important sale I was waiting for, ARMA II Combined ops. Dang...

I'm pretty sure it was the amazing Xelios that randomly gifted me F3AR out of the blue and I must say it was really good fun and I still haven't even played the coop.

I mean totally forgettable, but I played it in 2 sittings all the way to the ending.

Good graphics.. fun gameplay.

Yes the franchise has gone to shit, but it wasn't THAT bad.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Been playing The Walking Dead for like 30 minutes, wow the game is great!!

It gets so much better too. Episode 2 was a blast. I ended up playing through both episodes non-stop over one evening. It's definitely my biggest surprise of the year so far, I expected it to be in line with the other Telltale games I've played (which is to say mediocre).

neoism

good day so far... got cave story played a bunch and got past where I was stuck for a loong time...l ol soooo worth 2.50... lol I bought the dsi version for 10 bones . Got Fear 3 also 5 bones. played for the first one so I'd rather get one fear game then have 4 more I won't install.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Play AC2 and Brotherhood, skip the other 2 imo.

The first AC is a good proof of concept, but the gameplay is all kinds of repetitive. I would just read a story summary online and hop straight into AC2.

Revelations I'm playing through right now, and it's alright. The gameplay feels the most refined in the series, and there's some inventive set pieces to be experienced, however by this point the standard AC formula is wearing a bit thin on me.

I think I'll just snag 2 for right now, and maybe grab Brotherhood during the Winter sale. Thanks for the input.

Eklesp

good day so far... got cave story played a bunch and got past where I was stuck for a loong time...l ol soooo worth 2.50... lol I bought the dsi version for 10 bones . Got Fear 3 also 5 bones. played for the first one so I'd rather get one fear game then have 4 more I won't install.

many bones

Geoff9920

purchases so far:

Anno 2070
Ys Origin
The Walking Dead
Dead Island
Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Rayman Origins
Hitman: Blood Money
Jade Empire
Don't judge me!
Super Street Fighter Arcade Edtion
GRAW 2

That's more than I had anticipated. o_O

Audiosurf is really fun, my most played Steam game.

And it goes well with the awesome music from Ys. The files are stored in OGG format, you can copy them out and use them in Audiosurf.

Gemini Rue and Audiosurf are not filler.

Audiosurf was the game that introduced me to Steam, and still gets played occasionally. I think it's an absolute essential for any PC gamer, well worth the pound fifty. Gemini Rue is apparently a very good point & click game (think Revolution's stuff, not LucasArts), can't comment on the other two. But yeah, get Audiosurf regardless.

This man deserves a medal.
Alright bought. I'm hearing A LOT of good things.

dani_dc

Just woke dreaming that AC pack was a daily and that they accidently had it at 90% off, only to get to PC and see it's a daily but 73% off. This sales are having a negative effect on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom